HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Too late switch from right to left handed stick?

Old
05-02-2010, 10:32 PM
lubesicle

vCash: 500
Too late switch from right to left handed stick?

Thanks in advance for replies.

Is it worth it for me to switch from a right handed stick to a left handed?

I'm 29 years old now, been playing for 13 years now, regularly twice a week. I have a dominant right eye/hand/foot and have been playing with a right handed stick since I started. I just found out a couple months ago, that I probably should have started out with a left handed stick for better control with stickhandling. I shovel with my right hand on top.

I didn't realize most NHL players are righty's playing with lefty sticks.

I plan to play until I'm too old.

I know it's somewhat subjective, but is it worth it to change hands now? Can my stickhandling improve much faster with a dominant hand at the top?

Erik

lubesicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 10:42 PM
BLKHKhockey

IMO, I wouldn't bother. Besides, there is nothing wrong with being right handed. My dominant arm is my right and I shoot right. I find that when I stick handle, my bottom hand(right) does most of the side-to-side/front-to-back movement, while my top hand(left) does most of the rotating. I don't think there is any correlation between arm dominance and handedness, it's just what ever feels the best for you.

BLKHKhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 10:43 PM
IIHFjerseycollector

Send a message via AIM to IIHFjerseycollector
.no.

IIHFjerseycollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 10:44 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

After about a year or two, there's not much of a point of switching.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 11:19 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I remember once going to Modells where I bought a cheap wood left handed stick. Went to the rollerhocker hockey rink and started to try to stickhandle. I felt like I had never picked up a hockey stick in my life. Now that stick just sits around, I think I used it to kill a snake once. I'm sure at some point it will become a pole for the garden.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 11:37 PM
blueberrydanish

Its doable, you could end up being better, or worse, or just the exact same. Question is do you want to start all over for that chance? lol

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 01:21 AM
Hockeyfan68

I cannot imagine learning a new hand, this affects more than just the stick and hands involved but how you get open to shoot and how you actually skate to do things.

I wouldn't even bother honestly if what you are doing is currently working for you.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 02:08 AM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Coming from a person who has done it, It's doable. Did it happen over night? If you mean about 8 years then yes.

I'm a dominate right hander. Shoot right handed, throw right handed, golf right handed, bat right handed.

When I started playing goalie when I was a little one I'd put glove hand on my left hand, and hold a stick in my right hand. So this means the curve on that goal stick is left handed. So what did I have to do? Learn to shoot left handed.

I was terrible when I was little, but I kept practicing until I slowly got better. Once I hit high school I got pretty decent at it but once I hit college I really started to master it. When I say master it I mean I can stand at the blue line and ring pucks off the cross bar and sink 180 ft empty netters from one end of the rink to the other.

When I pick up a left handed player stick I can shoot pretty hard and accurate with it, but my stickhandling isn't as great as it is right handed. Probably because of lack of practice.

What I'm trying to say is that your body can and will learn to do it, but if I was in your shoes I wouldn't worry about it. I did because I was forced to.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 08:15 AM
noobman

Why would you want to do that?!

I say no. You've been playing like this for 13 years... you're not going to magically be better by switching to a lefty stick.

I know one player that's ambidextrous when he plays hockey... but it's because he's a poor stickhandler both ways He usually shoots right, but mixes it up every once in a while. He's better left (his weak side) than I am right (my weak side). He's been like that since he was a kid though.

Last edited by noobman: 05-03-2010 at 08:59 AM.
noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 08:23 AM
LakeshoreWest
Leafs in 7

I wouldn't do it.

I am a right-handed person who shoots left, and even though I think this is the best way to go, if I were you I would not switch at this point.

There are many right handed people out there who shoot right successfully at all levels of hockey (including many in the NHL).

LakeshoreWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 03:04 AM
Hades

I'd rather focus on other stuff in my game than waste time switching hands.

Hades is offline   Reply With Quote