HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Value of Erik Johnson

Old
05-01-2010, 09:17 PM
Stan Dupcomic
Thank you come again

vCash: 500
Value of Erik Johnson

I don't watch the Blues but is this guy really really good? Is he worth not drafting Backstrom/Toews?

Stan Dupcomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 09:28 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

vCash: 50
Looking back at the draft, the only player I MIGHT have taken over EJ would be Backstrom.
But it'd most likely still be EJ.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 10:38 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

I hate to say its too early to tell, but keep in mind that Johnson has basically missed two years of development that most number one overall picks get.

After his draft, his played a year for the Minnesota Golden Gophers, the team he grew up wanting to play for since Minnesota didn't have an NHL team for most of his childhood. I feel the weaker competition coupled with a shorter schedule hurt his development curve.

Throw in a major knee injury last year and you have two major set-backs/delays in his development. He looked a lot better in the Olympics and afterward, and I fully expect great things out of him next season and in the future.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 11:22 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc116 View Post
I don't watch the Blues but is this guy really really good? Is he worth not drafting Backstrom/Toews?
Easily better than Toews. I like Toews, but the guy is a little over hyped.

Backstom and EJ is a close call, but I would take the defenseman and with EJ I feel like he could start taking over some games next year. His offense really started to come on at the end of the year and he started getting more physical. The playing more physical part coupled with increased knee stability are key to his being able to play better defensively. EJ's size, mobility and physicality will allow him to fed off players more easily and thus develop that reputation that keeps forwards to the perimeter.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 12:38 AM
intangible

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundo View Post
Easily better than Toews. I like Toews, but the guy is a little over hyped.
He does seem to have more leadership ability than everyone on our team combined. That counts for something.

intangible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 01:22 AM
BluesBrother

Better than Toews or Bäckström... No way... Will he be better, or more valuable to his team... absolutely.. In next 2 seasons I think the big splash is coming, and everyone will realise how good EJ really is... So in long term, picking up EJ was the best choice, he will lead our D hopefully for a long time....

BluesBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 06:15 PM
Prussian_Blue

Value of Erik Johnson?

In trade, Johnson's value is greater than any team would be able to pay.

Johnson's every bit as good at what he does as Backstrom and Toews are at what they do, and all three still have time and room to grow.

P_B

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 07:29 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
I hate to say its too early to tell, but keep in mind that Johnson has basically missed two years of development that most number one overall picks get.

After his draft, his played a year for the Minnesota Golden Gophers, the team he grew up wanting to play for since Minnesota didn't have an NHL team for most of his childhood. I feel the weaker competition coupled with a shorter schedule hurt his development curve.

Throw in a major knee injury last year and you have two major set-backs/delays in his development. He looked a lot better in the Olympics and afterward, and I fully expect great things out of him next season and in the future.
Don't say you would have picked Toews then because his development curve had to have been severely hurt by playing two years at North Dakota (one after being drafted).

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 08:10 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

I would have a tough time deciding between EJ and Backstrom. The knee injury should be taken into account, but 100 point centermen aren't nearly as common as 50 point defensemen. I believe, like most Blues fans, that next year will go a long way to answering this question better.

Old
05-20-2010, 12:16 AM
DrVanntastic

vCash: 350
I don't think twice about taking EJ numer 1. Just a little perspective:

Chris Pronger didn't become a dominant D-man after two seasons. Nik Lidstrom didn't become a dominant D-man after two seasons. Give the kid some time!!!

DrVanntastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 12:38 AM
ibleedblue8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noteman View Post
I don't think twice about taking EJ numer 1. Just a little perspective:

Chris Pronger didn't become a dominant D-man after two seasons. Nik Lidstrom didn't become a dominant D-man after two seasons. Give the kid some time!!!
Agreed, its not like the guy had a major knee surgery to come back form or anything. Franchise d-men are hard to come by. The Blues have one in EJ. In a couple years this guy will be a top 5 d-man in the league at 23 or 24 and still getting better. How many 21 year old d-men that score almost 40 points have shutdown potential? Not many. A guy like Doughty may score more points but will not impact the game more than Erik Johnson.

ibleedblue8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 02:09 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibleedblue8 View Post
A guy like Doughty may score more points but will not impact the game more than Erik Johnson.
I think that might be a bit of a stretch. Doughty is incredible. And that is no knock on EJ.

Old
05-20-2010, 12:03 PM
Bills09

how much you think he signs for

Bills09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 12:09 PM
Blues88

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc116 View Post
Forwards going in the top 3 are a dime a dozen. When your team's go to defenseman is Barret Jackman, and you have the opportunity to draft a guy with the size and skill of Erik Johnson, you do it.

I don't see the argument for Backstrom over Toews. Really, anyone drafted in the top 5 would have been great to get.

No regrets on Johnson.

Blues88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 02:03 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bills09 View Post
That's a good question. With him not being able to sign offer sheets due to missing that year with the knee injury, that lessens the leverage he has in negotiations with the Blues. My thought on what it would take to sign him before knowing that he couldn't sign an offer sheet was $5M/year but now I'm thinking closer to $4M/year. What do others think the impact will be of EJ not being able to sign offer sheets will have in negotiations?

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 02:38 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Is there a reason he wouldn't just sign a one-year contract (or want to) and then renegotiate? Are there minimum terms for RFA contract durations?

2 Minute Minor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 02:52 PM
BlueBeard

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
That's a good question. With him not being able to sign offer sheets due to missing that year with the knee injury, that lessens the leverage he has in negotiations with the Blues. My thought on what it would take to sign him before knowing that he couldn't sign an offer sheet was $5M/year but now I'm thinking closer to $4M/year. What do others think the impact will be of EJ not being able to sign offer sheets will have in negotiations?
It will certainly decrease leverage on his side as well as the Blues paying him last season when they didn't have to. I think this could lead to a one or two year deal so he would still be a RFA, but eligible for arbitration and offer sheets at that point. From an organizational standpoint this gives more time to evaluate him and decide if he's worth big bucks. He will cost more in that scenario but you have a chance to lock him up further into his UFA years.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 02:58 PM
Falconator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bills09 View Post
This kid is going to be a great one, he reminds me of Shea Weber. Big with an offensive touch and he's starting to be more physical, when Weber signed his deal for $4.5 million the cap was at $56.7 million I believe? So about 8% of the cap, EJ should get a deal in the neighbourhood of $4.75 million per season IMO.

Falconator is offline   Reply With Quote