HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan McDonagh might not even sign with the Rangers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-02-2010, 11:35 AM
  #26
L4br3cqu3
Booya !
 
L4br3cqu3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: La Tuque
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,551
vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLPacman67 View Post


Some people think this is actually insider's info. It's a guy saying the kid is only one year away from free agency and it could be a good idea to wait it out.

Nothing from McD's agent or McD himself.

Some people wonder why the media get so much attention. Somebody writes a pure speculation piece and people here start to bash McD and question his character.

This thread is pure gold.
Absolutely agree, only on HF...

L4br3cqu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 11:37 AM
  #27
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder
 
Em Ancien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mount Real Life
Posts: 8,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Can we all just relax please? If that article would have been written by a Montreal journalist, you would have all say how stupid they are for writing this.

Other people from other cities can also be stupid....

Let's wait before making a judgment on if he will or not signed. And let's freakin wait before calling a kid a bust....Not because he is not going to exactly be what was portrayed to become, that he automatically is a bust.....And yet, we still have no idea if he'll underachieve....
No, no, no WS, that's not how it works around here.

Anything praising the organization = great work, anything bashing the organization = piece of garbage.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 11:54 AM
  #28
shakenbake7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 377
vCash: 500
I think it's all a matter of people trying to rationalize last summer's trade in a way that makes it seem like we came out as the big winners of the trade. Everyone's going to emphasize the weaknesses of the traded player while emphasizing the strengths (and minimizing the weaknesses) of the incoming player. I think it's fair to say that almost a year later, it does appear that we came out on top of this one.

I was pretty upset when we traded McD, but the guy is just too stubborn for his own good. He had nothing left to prove in college, and instead he insisted on staying in school for an extra year (and potentially even a second). He's still going to make the NHL as a 2nd/3rd pairing defenseman, but he's limited his own ceiling. If he doesn't sign with the Rangers though, you had better believe that Timmins is going to be ALL OVER him.

shakenbake7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 12:39 PM
  #29
GNick42
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,427
vCash: 500
Trade Fischer to Rangers for McDonogh's rights

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 12:50 PM
  #30
Habskrieg
Registered User
 
Habskrieg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Germany
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,827
vCash: 500
I'd still give a shot at him.

Habskrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 12:57 PM
  #31
shutehinside
Registered User
 
shutehinside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,231
vCash: 500
From what I rememeber of the Gomez trade, McDo was one of the names Gainey allowed the Rags to inlcude because he didn't want to make the jump to Hamilton last year. This article seems to show what the consequence of that decision would have been for the Habs and maybe scared our brass into inlcuding him in that deal.

Lets be honest, at this point if I'm McDo, I'm not signing with the Rags if they're not my prefferred team. He waits a couple of months longer and he can get more money from a team he chooses to play for and has a better chance of playing in the NHL sooner. Sounds like a better deal to me.

As to him coming to the Habs, unless he has a chance to crack our starting lineup, why would he want to come here when he can go to a team weak on D and start making the big bucks right away?

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 01:21 PM
  #32
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 53,797
vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
From what I rememeber of the Gomez trade, McDo was one of the names Gainey allowed the Rags to inlcude because he didn't want to make the jump to Hamilton last year. This article seems to show what the consequence of that decision would have been for the Habs and maybe scared our brass into inlcuding him in that deal.

Lets be honest, at this point if I'm McDo, I'm not signing with the Rags if they're not my prefferred team. He waits a couple of months longer and he can get more money from a team he chooses to play for and has a better chance of playing in the NHL sooner. Sounds like a better deal to me.

As to him coming to the Habs, unless he has a chance to crack our starting lineup, why would he want to come here when he can go to a team weak on D and start making the big bucks right away?
Hockeywise, everybody that had seen McDonagh last year would have told you that he wasn't ready to make the jump in the AHL. Did end up well but wasn't that great until then. Then, you always hear Timmins and Co say that they will NEVER push a NCAA kid out from school. Actually, being able to let them develop 2 or 3 years before taking a decision is actually why they choose so many people from that league (I don't agree, but that's how they see it). So they make their recommendation, but the player has the final say.

So this idea that he was included in a deal because he didn't want to join the Dogs, to me, can't be true. Doesn't mean it's not in that case but just my idea.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 02:08 PM
  #33
shutehinside
Registered User
 
shutehinside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Hockeywise, everybody that had seen McDonagh last year would have told you that he wasn't ready to make the jump in the AHL. Did end up well but wasn't that great until then. Then, you always hear Timmins and Co say that they will NEVER push a NCAA kid out from school. Actually, being able to let them develop 2 or 3 years before taking a decision is actually why they choose so many people from that league (I don't agree, but that's how they see it). So they make their recommendation, but the player has the final say.

So this idea that he was included in a deal because he didn't want to join the Dogs, to me, can't be true. Doesn't mean it's not in that case but just my idea.
I see what you're saying but I do remember hearing that though. I can see if Montreal didn't think he was interested in playing with them or didn't agree with thier development path that might upset them or think he was not interested in what they wanted.

Also, lets be honest here. He hasn't exactly been the prospect I think we'd all be getting here. His development has not been the spike we'd all like to have seen so to be honest, I didn't care he got traded. He's another bust imo and unless he starts playing really well as a pro (Which is always possible) then it's a huge wate of time to even write about the guy.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 02:18 PM
  #34
montreal
Moderator
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Greenland
Posts: 26,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
From what I rememeber of the Gomez trade, McDo was one of the names Gainey allowed the Rags to inlcude because he didn't want to make the jump to Hamilton last year. This article seems to show what the consequence of that decision would have been for the Habs and maybe scared our brass into inlcuding him in that deal.
From what I had heard, the rangers wanted McDonagh and he was the main part of the deal as the rangers wanted him in order to turn around and trade him to the sens as part of a major deal for Danny Heatly that ended up falling through.

I think McDonagh is a good prospect and should be in the NHL at some point.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 02:25 PM
  #35
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 53,797
vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Also, lets be honest here. He hasn't exactly been the prospect I think we'd all be getting here. His development has not been the spike we'd all like to have seen so to be honest, I didn't care he got traded. He's another bust imo and unless he starts playing really well as a pro (Which is always possible) then it's a huge wate of time to even write about the guy.
The guy was just behind Subban in our prospect pool just before he got traded. Then he's gone and he's a bust? Come on.

Out of every d-man we have in our prospect pool not named Subban, the guy would STILL be #1. So is it a testament to what's left out there or his quality as a player? Pretty sure it's a little bit of both. But yet, while he was touted as being a great 2-way with a nice offensive touch, and yet might turn out to be a more physical Josh Gorges, please tell me how it would be bad again? And I can tell you that he'll be more offensive than Josh can be.

Anyway, we'll see about that in the future years. But it's not because Gainey traded him that suddenly those guys are crap and busts. Gainey has his share of trading great guys too.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 02:35 PM
  #36
shutehinside
Registered User
 
shutehinside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
The guy was just behind Subban in our prospect pool just before he got traded. Then he's gone and he's a bust? Come on.

Out of every d-man we have in our prospect pool not named Subban, the guy would STILL be #1. So is it a testament to what's left out there or his quality as a player? Pretty sure it's a little bit of both. But yet, while he was touted as being a great 2-way with a nice offensive touch, and yet might turn out to be a more physical Josh Gorges, please tell me how it would be bad again? And I can tell you that he'll be more offensive than Josh can be.

Anyway, we'll see about that in the future years. But it's not because Gainey traded him that suddenly those guys are crap and busts. Gainey has his share of trading great guys too.
i never called him a bust, nor did I imply he was one. Easy when putting words in people's mouths.

I said a lot more was expected from him and his develpoment just wasn't where it was expected to be. Fine, it happens that younger players take more time or don't do much until they become pro. He can turn out to be the best defenceman in the NHL in 5 years for all I or anyone else knows. So due to his development not being where I guess the brass was exepecting or that he didn't want to go to report to the Dogs when they wanted him to. I dunno, I'm not an insider at all. All I know is what was said after the trade and I'm sure I heard someone say that was one of the resons. I actually kinda like him as a prospect and think he'll do well in the NHL but then again I thought the same of Shawn Belle

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 02:52 PM
  #37
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 53,797
vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
i never called him a bust, nor did I imply he was one. Easy when putting words in people's mouths.
Sorry but I thought that this statement was calling him that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
His development has not been the spike we'd all like to have seen so to be honest, I didn't care he got traded. He's another bust imo and unless he starts playing really well as a pro (Which is always possible) then it's a huge wate of time to even write about the guy.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 03:05 PM
  #38
shutehinside
Registered User
 
shutehinside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Sorry but I thought that this statement was calling him that...
Touche my friend. I guess I did call him one, but I didn't mean it in that way. I meant that he was soo highly touted when he was drafted that he's no where near the player we thought we got. Like I said, he'll probably make the NHL but I don't think he'll be they player Habs fans hoped he would develop into. In that sense he's been a huge bust for the Habs but not as a pro as he hasn't had a chance to prove himself. But once again it's only my opinion and I'm no professional.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 09:24 AM
  #39
WestIslander
Registered User
 
WestIslander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
From the Rangers Board.

I know this has nothing to do with the Habs, but I can't find the "Former Player" thread. Plus I think it's pretty interesting...I don't know what he has against the Rangers. It's probably just a negotiating tactic.

" Rangers, who conducted organizational meetings last week, are believed keenly interested in signing Ryan McDonagh, whose rights they acquired from Montreal in the Scott Gomez deal, but the Wisconsin defenseman has a fair amount of leverage as he awaits an offer.

McDonagh, who turns 21 next month, would play his senior year for the Badgers if he does not turn pro. If he remains unsigned through next year, McDonagh would become an unrestricted free agent as of Aug. 15, 2011.

Chances are, then, if the 6-foot-1, 215-pound McDonagh, who is regarded as a proficient, stay-at-home type physically ready for the NHL, does not sign this summer, he will not sign at all with the Blueshirts.

And though it would seem necessary for Sather to offer the Entry Level max, we're hearing McDonagh will make his decision based less on the contract and more on his perception of the Rangers' program."

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...SnhzRxdkSVEBmM
I made a thread about this a while ago and everyone bashed me! I know that McDonagh is not ready to turn pro and might not even want to play professional hockey for a living. I feel that the Habs organization knew this and gave him away in the deal with the Rangers based on having Pacioretty as a 1st rounder from the same draft.

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 09:36 AM
  #40
YogiCanucks
Registered User
 
YogiCanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,631
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleneck Plek View Post
Just imagine if he signs with us in a year. How hilarious would that be? So much for us being owned by the Rags in the Gomez trade haha.
yeah it would be like the Leafs getting Hall.. and their first back next year.. and Carter + 1st... and Rask... oh nevermind

This would be hilarious.

Though on a side note. YES Gomez is overpaid, YES he's probably not a 1A center but if you make the playoffs and can do some damage with him as a key player can anyone REALLY complain? especially with the Rangers doing SO well without him this year.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 09:41 AM
  #41
Bullsmith
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,216
vCash: 500
If he doesn't sign with the Rangers, (and that's a huuuuge "if" but let's indulge in the speculation for a minute) then the Gomez deal is a much better one than I thought at the time. Mcd's exaclty the type of D I wish we had more of- big, physical, smart and punishing to play against. I was really hoping that between Valentenko, Emelin and him we had at least one nasty-ass LD in the system, but right now we have none. However, if all three are the type that don't sign with the team that own their NHL rights, then we're only losing guys we likely weren't going to be able to land. Seriously if he doesn't sign with the Rags, no reason to assume he would've signed here. Again, that's a very big if. Personally I'll be shocked.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 09:44 AM
  #42
m00ks
Registered User
 
m00ks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
yeah it would be like the Leafs getting Hall.. and their first back next year.. and Carter + 1st... and Rask... oh nevermind

This would be hilarious.

Though on a side note. YES Gomez is overpaid, YES he's probably not a 1A center but if you make the playoffs and can do some damage with him as a key player can anyone REALLY complain? especially with the Rangers doing SO well without him this year.
Exactly. If he consistently leads the team in the post-season and performs like a playoff horse, his salary is irrelevant.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 10:06 AM
  #43
TinordiandSubban
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,546
vCash: 500
You're all forgetting the key to this whole deal:

Tom Pyatt.

TinordiandSubban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 10:36 AM
  #44
CGG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: 416
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,446
vCash: 500
Rangers didn't trade Gomez for Gaborik. By taking Higgins they really only freed up enough cap space to sign Michal Roszival. And maybe Donald Brashear too. All of a sudden Sather doesn't look like such a genious, does he?

CGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 11:01 AM
  #45
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,720
vCash: 152
Mcdonagh is still a good prospect, anyone saying otherwise is biased. He'd still be a top 5 prospect in our pool. They say he played like chelios, two-way guy who is solid one on one. Maybe he stalled his own development, but to say he's turned into a bust is a little extreme.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 11:07 AM
  #46
Matteau Matteau
Registered User
 
Matteau Matteau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Manhattan
Country: United States
Posts: 471
vCash: 500
Blueshirts fan here...first, like others have said this is merely a rumor.

But even if it did happen, while it would suck, I wouldn't be THAT upset. We simply had to move a big contract and Gomez's was by far the most move-able.

Matteau Matteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 11:12 AM
  #47
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by inBobwetrust View Post
You're all forgetting the key to this whole deal:

Gomez + Tom Pyatt.
Corrected.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 11:32 AM
  #48
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,720
vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteau Matteau View Post
Blueshirts fan here...first, like others have said this is merely a rumor.

But even if it did happen, while it would suck, I wouldn't be THAT upset. We simply had to move a big contract and Gomez's was by far the most move-able.
I think the drury contract is worst than the gomez one. I think the redden contract is worse than the drury one. You guys need a new GM, a more patient one.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 11:35 AM
  #49
Analyzer*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 44,999
vCash: 50
Based on the Ranger's program ? Their defense sucks, so if he signs, he'll probably be in the NHL next season.

He'll sign with them.

Though, we'll trade them Fishcer for McDonagh.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 11:38 AM
  #50
MTL-rules
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I think the drury contract is worst than the gomez one. I think the redden contract is worse than the drury one. You guys need a new GM, a more patient one.
Have you read correctly what he wrote ?

He said that they needed to move a big contract and Gomez's was the most "moveable"...

They were able to sign Gaborik instead, that's a major improvement... but they're still stuck with 3 other albatros... unmoveable albatroses..

Hockey players in the league rated Gomez as one of the most overrated player in the league... I guess, by reading this thread, he's also one of the most overrated player by habs fans on HF...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:09 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.