HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Poll on sportsnet...

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-10-2004, 10:14 PM
  #1
mbam99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Red Deer
Posts: 451
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to mbam99
Poll on sportsnet...

There's a poll on sportsnet, and to me its a no brainer...maybe someone can shed light as to why its so close...

If there was only one spot available, who would you want playing for Team Canada at the World Cup of hockey? [3829 votes total]


Dany Heatley (1953) 51%
Todd Bertuzzi (1877) 49%



For me, its definitely Heatley...maybe its because I don't care for Bert, but Heatley is awesome and only going to get better....

mbam99 is offline  
Old
05-10-2004, 10:31 PM
  #2
Whitenoise
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 203
vCash: 500
Bert plays for Vancouver

Whitenoise is offline  
Old
05-10-2004, 10:35 PM
  #3
Vyse64
N64
 
Vyse64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Calgary AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,791
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
and half of sportsnet's rating is basically Vancouver

Vyse64 is offline  
Old
05-11-2004, 01:00 AM
  #4
mbam99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Red Deer
Posts: 451
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to mbam99
Homer or not....you have to know that heatley is by far the more talented (and less whiney)player....
An update...

Power Poll
If there was only one spot available, who would you want playing for Team Canada at the World Cup of hockey? [6682 votes total]


Dany Heatley (2641) 40%
Todd Bertuzzi (4041) 60%

mbam99 is offline  
Old
05-11-2004, 01:03 AM
  #5
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,929
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Ya, we have a case of hardcore homerism from Nucks fans going on there clearly. Heatley will bring any offense Bertuzzi would (or more) just using skill instead of size and subtracting ALOT of absolute meat-head penalties that hurt the team. To me Bertuzzi has no place on the team.

thome_26 is offline  
Old
05-11-2004, 01:17 AM
  #6
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle
 
Cloned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 22,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Ya, we have a case of hardcore homerism from Nucks fans going on there clearly. Heatley will bring any offense Bertuzzi would (or more) just using skill instead of size and subtracting ALOT of absolute meat-head penalties that hurt the team. To me Bertuzzi has no place on the team.
It'd be interesting to see the response if someone posted a poll in the Canucks forum that asked the same question.

What would be interesting to see is if this Bertuzzi over Heatley opinion exists among Canucks posters on this board as well.

Cloned is offline  
Old
05-11-2004, 03:49 PM
  #7
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,929
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Does that question really need to be asked? honestly?

thome_26 is offline  
Old
05-11-2004, 03:59 PM
  #8
deathbear
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Manitoba
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 2,415
vCash: 500
if canuck fans are nothing more than homers, then the people who've posted in this thread so far are nothing more than anti-homeristic, resulting in both sides being biased and sharing unfair opinions.

deathbear is offline  
Old
05-11-2004, 05:51 PM
  #9
mbam99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Red Deer
Posts: 451
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to mbam99
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbear
if canuck fans are nothing more than homers, then the people who've posted in this thread so far are nothing more than anti-homeristic, resulting in both sides being biased and sharing unfair opinions.
Actually, I posted because to me Heatley is by far a superior hockey player. I could not believe the poll was so close, and then later that Bertuzzi was ahead. Nothing to do with homerisms or anti-homerisms....absolutely nothing

mbam99 is offline  
Old
05-11-2004, 06:59 PM
  #10
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,929
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Ya, I'm the biggest Oiler homer around here most likely

thome_26 is offline  
Old
05-11-2004, 07:01 PM
  #11
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,929
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Ya, I'm the biggest Oiler homer around here most likely so that kills your arguement. It's a simple matter that I believe Bertuzzi would hurt as much or more then he would help on a teamful of allstars.

thome_26 is offline  
Old
05-11-2004, 07:29 PM
  #12
Oi'll say!
Go Flames
 
Oi'll say!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Oil in 9
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,220
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbear
if canuck fans are nothing more than homers, then the people who've posted in this thread so far are nothing more than anti-homeristic, resulting in both sides being biased and sharing unfair opinions.
That's an interesting attempt at logic but you still get an "F".

Oi'll say! is offline  
Old
05-11-2004, 07:31 PM
  #13
deathbear
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Manitoba
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 2,415
vCash: 500
so im guessing logic like "heatley is by far the superior player" grants an "a"?

im glad i didnt have you as a teacher.

deathbear is offline  
Old
05-11-2004, 07:44 PM
  #14
Oi'll say!
Go Flames
 
Oi'll say!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Oil in 9
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,220
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbear
so im guessing logic like "heatley is by far the superior player" grants an "a"?

im glad i didnt have you as a teacher.
Your assumption that "anti-homerism" is the main reason for people choosing Heatley is what's wrong here. People are surprised by how close the vote is, as am I, and it's a very good bet that rampant Bertuzzi support is coming from the left coast.

The top two reasons why Heatley is a better choice imo:
1) We'll look like chumps for icing Todd "wraparound" Bertuzzi while he's under an indefinite suspension from the league (if we even can)
2) Heatley supplies all the offensive upside of Bert without the penchant for stupid penalties. Of Bert's 122 mins with the 'Nux, few of them are of the "intimidation" variety while at least half of them were unnecessary and hurt his own team.

Glad to hav skoold ya.

Oi'll say! is offline  
Old
05-11-2004, 08:29 PM
  #15
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0
 
RandV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,822
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
Your assumption that "anti-homerism" is the main reason for people choosing Heatley is what's wrong here. People are surprised by how close the vote is, as am I, and it's a very good bet that rampant Bertuzzi support is coming from the left coast.

The top two reasons why Heatley is a better choice imo:
1) We'll look like chumps for icing Todd "wraparound" Bertuzzi while he's under an indefinite suspension from the league (if we even can)
2) Heatley supplies all the offensive upside of Bert without the penchant for stupid penalties. Of Bert's 122 mins with the 'Nux, few of them are of the "intimidation" variety while at least half of them were unnecessary and hurt his own team.

Glad to hav skoold ya.
1) We'll look like chumps, thats a solid reason. Plus if he were to play, his indefinate suspension will have to be lifted, meaning he wont be playing under an indefinate suspension.
2) Stupid penalties from Bertuzzi. These usually are mental errors that stem from frustration. Olympics are higher stakes, different game altogether, and Bertuzzi's had a long time to cool off. You really think its a guarantee that he'll be taking a lot of stupid penalties in a team Canada uniform?

As for the Beruzzi/Heatley comparison, should it even be one? Heatley should be a guarantee on the team, and if he's cleared to play so should Bertuzzi. I'd say Iginla, St.Louis, Heatley, and Bertuzzi are Canada's top 4 wingers. Being forced to choose between the two, it's a really tough call, one which most fans, myself included, don't have enough knowledge to make the correct educated decision. Hence you have a close poll, with most people picking from either a homeristic pro-Bertuzzi, or pre-determined anti-Bertuzzi view.

RandV is offline  
Old
05-11-2004, 08:59 PM
  #16
Eddie Vedder
Registered User
 
Eddie Vedder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,537
vCash: 500
I'm one of the biggest nucks fans you'll ever meet and i'd take heatley over the tuzz on the olympic team.

Now, i loves me my todd bertuzzi, but i do agree that he could quite possibly cause a lot of opposition PP's. I just dont see the type of game bertuzzi plays being that accepted during this type of game.

Heatley brings speed, skill, youth and heart, and I must admit he's quickly beocming one of my favorites. I also think heatley will meet one of the youngster player requirments for the tournment, I THINK. so dont shoot me if im wrong..

But in reality, I think both will make the team, that is, if bertuzzi is allowed to play.

Eddie Vedder is offline  
Old
05-11-2004, 09:11 PM
  #17
Vomiting Kermit*
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbear
perhaps they dont realize that both would be more deserving of a roster spot than their very own #94 monsieur mullet.

please dont go there to start a fight, thats not what i want. i just thought it was a bit interesting, and figured you'd feel the same way.
Uh...

Bertuzzi more deserving? :lol

Smyth has put on the red and white every chance he has gotten throughtout his career. There's a reason he's earned the name called "Captain Canada" over the past couple of years...

Saying a guy that sucker punched a defenseless player and then took him down is more deserving is ridiculous. Not to mention all those stupid penalties Bertuzzi takes, his indefinate suspension that would have to be lifted in order for him to play (and even then, there would be a ton of controversy surrounding Team Canada and Gretzky for picking him, as well as the NHL, Bettman, etc.), and a few other things that I won't go into to prevent a flame war.

Yeah, he sure is more deserving.

And for the record, there is no doubt that Bertuzzi is an excellent hockey player and one of the best power forwards in the NHL today. I just don't think he is more "deserving" than someone like Smyth (who wasn't even mentioned until this post) due to his recent acts and his history. (I am in no way saying Smyth should be on the team, either.)


Last edited by Vomiting Kermit*: 05-11-2004 at 09:24 PM.
Vomiting Kermit* is offline  
Old
05-11-2004, 09:15 PM
  #18
Oi'll say!
Go Flames
 
Oi'll say!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Oil in 9
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,220
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV
1) We'll look like chumps, thats a solid reason.
Yup, it is. What would you think of the Russians if they found a way to get Perezoghin there? I personally don't think that Bertuzzi is on any higher moral ground than he is right now in light of their recent incidents.
Quote:
Plus if he were to play, his indefinate suspension will have to be lifted, meaning he wont be playing under an indefinate suspension.
Players suspended by the nhl have played in international tourneys before, Espen Knutson did it at the olympics a few years back and helped his team through the preliminary round.

NHL suspensions will probably be honored considering who's running the tourney but I don't know for sure, hence the "(if we even can)".
Quote:
2) Stupid penalties from Bertuzzi. These usually are mental errors that stem from frustration. Olympics are higher stakes, different game altogether, and Bertuzzi's had a long time to cool off. You really think its a guarantee that he'll be taking a lot of stupid penalties in a team Canada uniform?
Like he was any better in the playoffs for Vcr? The stakes were a lot higher there too and Bertuzzi's play deteriorated.

Quote:
As for the Beruzzi/Heatley comparison, should it even be one?
It's there, so you answer it if you want or you leave it alone. Plain and simple.
Quote:
Heatley should be a guarantee on the team,
yup.
Quote:
and if he's cleared to play so should Bertuzzi.
If the Moore incident never happened then I'd agree Bert should be there, but that fact coupled with his normal level of undisciplined play are enough to tip the scales in favor of the next guy imo.
Quote:
I'd say Iginla, St.Louis, Heatley, and Bertuzzi are Canada's top 4 wingers. Being forced to choose between the two, it's a really tough call, one which most fans, myself included, don't have enough knowledge to make the correct educated decision.
The obligatory grain of truth
Quote:
Hence you have a close poll, with most people picking from either a homeristic pro-Bertuzzi, or pre-determined anti-Bertuzzi view.
Noone's saying that all pro-Bertuzzi votes are the result of blatant Canucks fan homerism, but there's undoubtedly a strong contingent. I live in New West and there are hordes of people out here who deflect blame from Bert in any and all directions and honestly believe that his suspension was too harsh.

Pre-determined anti-Bertuzzi view? The cons are weighing heavily against him and this isn't a hockey nation with limited choices for elite level competition. I think we can afford to look elsewhere and in the name of sportsmanship I'd personally like to go that route.

Oi'll say! is offline  
Old
05-11-2004, 09:22 PM
  #19
Oi'll say!
Go Flames
 
Oi'll say!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Oil in 9
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,220
vCash: 500
P.S. Don't count me among the "Smyth should be there" crowd.

I admire his dedication to the national team as much as the next guy but considering his level of play in the last two nhl regular seasons, 2003 playoffs, 2004 whc's and even the 2002 Olympics I think we can do a bit better than good ol' #94. He hasn't been fantastic for more than a handful of games through that whole span.

Oi'll say! is offline  
Old
05-11-2004, 10:37 PM
  #20
deathbear
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Manitoba
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 2,415
vCash: 500
you know what.

i should make something very clear. i really like heatley, and i hope both him and bert make the team. and to be honest, im pretty sure they both will be.

deathbear is offline  
Old
05-11-2004, 11:21 PM
  #21
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,635
vCash: 500
I should remind everyone that when asked by Gretzky who he wanted to play with, Lemieux simply said: ''Bertuzzi"

monster_bertuzzi is offline  
Old
05-12-2004, 12:41 AM
  #22
quat
winsome, loathsome
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 10,052
vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to quat
If given a choice of only one player, I'd choose Heatley because I think overall he's the better player.

Comments like "wrap around Bertuzzi" are homer comments because they show a real ignorance of Bertuzzi's game.

Some of you here act like Bertuzzi runs around sucker punching every player in the league... it's pretty sad really. Bertuzzi is certainly a loud mouth who *****es frequently... but the guy also takes a series amount of physical punishment for his style of play. He is definitely not liked around the league, but other than the Moore punch you're wrong to suggest that Bertuzzi is a dirty player.

quat is offline  
Old
05-12-2004, 01:06 AM
  #23
Oi'll say!
Go Flames
 
Oi'll say!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Oil in 9
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,220
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by quat
but other than the Moore punch you're wrong to suggest that Bertuzzi is a dirty player.
Oh really? He jumped on Scott Parker's back and gave him a sucker punch too.

Oi'll say! is offline  
Old
05-12-2004, 02:10 AM
  #24
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Narnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,394
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
Oh really? He jumped on Scott Parker's back and gave him a sucker punch too.
Yup. He also punched that goaltender with Edmonton a couple of years ago prior to the layoffs giving him a concussion. He always tries to run goaltenders.

__________________
"He just ate up Robyn Regehr for dinner, a spectacular play by Hemsky, and Robyn Regehr has got doo doo all over his face" - Rod Phillips call on Hemsky's goal vs the Flames
Narnia is offline  
Old
05-12-2004, 11:09 AM
  #25
Vomiting Kermit*
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by quat
but other than the Moore punch you're wrong to suggest that Bertuzzi is a dirty player.
:lol

Vomiting Kermit* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.