HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Hollweg making up for lost time

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2004, 04:32 PM
KING

vCash: 500
Hollweg making up for lost time

http://www.canoe.ca/Slam040511/chl_mh-cp.html

Old
05-11-2004, 04:34 PM
Barnaby

But after a strong season and his injury woes behind him, the Rangers and Hollweg agreed to contract terms earlier this month.

Cool, I'd never heard that ^

Old
05-11-2004, 04:39 PM
Larry Melnyk

Absolutley LOVBE that Hollweg is Ranger property again..One of my old favorites...Before his injury, I liked his game as much or better then Garth Murray's and I think he had some decent Ranger camps....Bangs, Rams, and bounces all over the ice....Nice signing by Sather....

Old
05-11-2004, 04:50 PM
E-Train

another asset for the 'Pack next year. Solid season as a 20 year-old overager for the WHL champs.

Old
05-11-2004, 04:52 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Train
another asset for the 'Pack next year. Solid season as a 20 year-old overager for the WHL champs.
Hmm I wonder why I dont see it on the Rangers site or In The System. But if he is a Ranger property I expect him to go to Wolfpack and play well. http://www.tigershockey.com/profiles/ryan_hollweg If he can be like Matt Cooke that will a steal but if he can turn into Brendan Morrow then that will be one of the best steals in history.

Old
05-11-2004, 08:58 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

another great move by mr sather

Old
05-11-2004, 09:14 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Rangers took care of Ryan Hollweg by sending him to Dr.Karen Johnston in Montreal.

Old
05-11-2004, 09:50 PM
Kubera55

Love the signing, great to have him back, but I do think people should be a little wary of getting too excited. Hollweg's awfully short to be the next Brendan Morrow (he's like 5'9", even if he is built like a fire-hydrant).

I compared him a bit to a shorter Rod Brind-Amour... squat, low center of gravity, likes crashing into things and really gets under opponents skins. All that, and he's got some offensive skills and knows how to play defense.

Very, very pleased. Now let's just hope he can finally stay healthy . . .

Old
05-11-2004, 10:04 PM
NYR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
The Rangers took care of Ryan Hollweg by sending him to Dr.Karen Johnston in Montreal.
This entire time, or just right after he got hurt?

Old
05-11-2004, 11:28 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR2
This entire time, or just right after he got hurt?
atleast until he was cleared to play by dr johnston, i believe

Old
05-11-2004, 11:51 PM
Edge

i like this kid a lot though his size and durability is a huge question mark. I said a long time ago that if this kid were even 5'11 he'd have been a second round pick.

But he's small and is going to have to learn to pace himself to survive a full season at the pro level.

If I were going to compare him to anyone I'd have to honestly say he reminds me of Mike Danton from a playing standpoint.

Old
05-11-2004, 11:58 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
i like this kid a lot though his size and durability is a huge question mark. I said a long time ago that if this kid were even 5'11 he'd have been a second round pick.

But he's small and is going to have to learn to pace himself to survive a full season at the pro level.

If I were going to compare him to anyone I'd have to honestly say he reminds me of Mike Danton from a playing standpoint.
I like this signing but I still cant believe its not on Rangers site or he not even added to in the system.

Old
05-12-2004, 01:03 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
Not the exact image I need in my mind when I think about Hollweg...

This gets me about as excited as the time you compared Umberger to Carter

Old
05-12-2004, 01:59 AM
Edge

nothing wrong with danton as a player. though i could write a book about frost and his "players".

if you can get a pesky forward with some scoring from an 8th round pick, you've already beaten the odds.

Old
05-12-2004, 02:32 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
nothing wrong with danton as a player. though i could write a book about frost and his "players".

if you can get a pesky forward with some scoring from an 8th round pick, you've already beaten the odds.

I compare Hollweg to a former Ranger who found a home for the Thrashers in Petrovicky. Great move letting a fan favorite go for nothing. Too bad Sather did not let Lindros or one of the other superstars unprotected, its not like anyone would take them, of course he lets go a cheap forward and teams like that, u never know how they will turn out and petro did well for the Thrashers this year. Maybe Sather learned his lesson.

Old
05-12-2004, 09:07 AM
Davisian

Quote:
nothing wrong with danton as a player.
Hollowegantonersson??

Good luck sewing that name on the jersey..

I agree BTW. I loved Danton's on ice contribution. Has a motor that never stops and backs down to noone. Even some skill to mix in with the nasty disposition. So it seems like Holloweg compares.

Off ice, god I hope not, and it doesn't seem even close..

Old
05-12-2004, 12:13 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:

Hey Edge, i know you've talked about him before, but do you think Brandon Dubinsky's game is similar to Hollweg's? I've never seen him play, but have heard good things about his passion for the game, and hard hits though he's 5'10.
What round pick would you use to get him?

Old
05-12-2004, 05:32 PM
Edge

Petro is one guy I dont blame Sather for. Anyone who thinks they saw this kind of season coming from Petro is full of it. I like Petro but at the time, the Rangers decided to go with Lacouture. I don't blame them for that. It didn't work out, but not every move does. I can blame Sather for several decisions but on this one, it just didn't work.

As for Petro's numbers they are HEAVILY squewed to the begining of the season and though he may put up numbers like that again, I'm not totally sold on it.

Old
05-12-2004, 05:35 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
Hey Edge, i know you've talked about him before, but do you think Brandon Dubinsky's game is similar to Hollweg's? I've never seen him play, but have heard good things about his passion for the game, and hard hits though he's 5'10.
What round pick would you use to get him?
I think the problem with Dubinsky is his maturity and his willingness to get better {defensivly, etc.}. Having said, he probably has more natural talent than Hollweg. Size is a concern because IMO Brandon looks closer to about 5'8 and about 170. BUT if he gets it, and puts an effort into improving his game, he might be one of the best kids to come out of this draft. I went against the grain and said that despite his flaws I'd still him rank him in my top 30. Time will tell if that is justified or not.

Old
05-12-2004, 05:42 PM
NYR Khabby Fan

[QUOTE=Kubera55]he is built like a fire-hydrant).

never heard that xpression b4 u compare him to something dogs piss on heard of a brick **** house or a bull. but never a fire hydrant

Old
05-12-2004, 06:16 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Petro is one guy I dont blame Sather for. Anyone who thinks they saw this kind of season coming from Petro is full of it. I like Petro but at the time, the Rangers decided to go with Lacouture. I don't blame them for that. It didn't work out, but not every move does. I can blame Sather for several decisions but on this one, it just didn't work.

As for Petro's numbers they are HEAVILY squewed to the begining of the season and though he may put up numbers like that again, I'm not totally sold on it.

I agree. Petrovicky for the majority of his career has been a ordinary player. And this season does not change all that much in my eyes. Lets see him do it again.

05-14-2004, 06:45 AM
Edge

I'd even go as far as to say, let's see him do it without the benefit of an extremely well played first 25-30 games.

if he does, that's excellent for him.I just don't see it.

Closed Thread