HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Wang done with the Islanders?

Old
05-08-2010, 02:36 PM
MHX
Hockey Makes Us...

vCash: 500
Wang done with the Islanders?

Has anyone heard anything about this? If this is true, it could be an ugly trend by NHL owners to get out from owning their teams.

http://iceveins.wordpress.com/2010/0...-for-winnipeg/

Quote:
Team 990 (Stephen Brunt): Many teams are in trouble. Those named are: Atlanta, Nashville, Florida, Carolina, NYI, Phoenix. Speculation is that Charles Wang left the Islanders months ago, and the NHL has secretly taken control of the team.
Is this source reliable?

MHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 02:44 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Lol, highly doubt that's true.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 02:46 PM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1125
Key word is "speculation". More often than not speculation means jack.

To quote most wise Winnipeggers about the Jets coming back home "I'll believe it when I see it". Same can be applied here.

Winnipeg Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 03:06 PM
Dado

vCash:
I'm sure this will be denied the way the Phoenix situation was denied, so the denial won't mean anything.

Am very curious if this is true, though!

Old
05-08-2010, 04:34 PM
Isles4ever11

Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
Wang just met with Bettman at the NHL Store last week. Not sure for what. He's still actively involved in the organization. Safe to say this is all BS.

Isles4ever11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 05:40 PM
nye

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bank View Post
Is this source reliable?

I'd have to say not really, sadly.

He is a journalist, a well regarded one by many, but he comes off as being too much of Bob McCown's errand boy on subjects of NHL governance, ownership, Bettman, etc.

I heard him in that segment. It came off very much like gossip of the sort that McCown's cabal seem to have plenty of.

nye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 06:42 PM
TorontoSports

I doubt the Hurricanes are leaving NC for a very long time.. Many owners realize that sports (outside of the NFL) are not money making ventures. All sports have a handful of teams that don't do well at a time.. you can't just keep relocating them, contracting, and expanding.

TorontoSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 06:54 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bank View Post
Has anyone heard anything about this? If this is true, it could be an ugly trend by NHL owners to get out from owning their teams.

http://iceveins.wordpress.com/2010/0...-for-winnipeg/

Is this source reliable?
Wang is taking the players to China in Sept. for part of their training camp.

The NHL is not sending them,this is Wang doing what Botta described as showing off his 'pride and joy',his 'toy' to his family and friends in his homeland.

I know that it's easier for out of town reporters to take the lazy route,not do their homework on teams that aren't local,but Wang and the TOH pols continue their talks about scaling down his Lighthouse project (which he prefers over moving to Queens/Brooklyn).

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 06:56 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
I'm sure this will be denied the way the Phoenix situation was denied, so the denial won't mean anything.

when Phoenix's owner, has a $400m-$500m local cable deal that he'll lose by selling the team,then get back to me about how the Isles and Yotes situations are in the same boat.

Old
05-08-2010, 07:03 PM
pepty

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by nye View Post
I'd have to say not really, sadly.

He is a journalist, a well regarded one by many, but he comes off as being too much of Bob McCown's errand boy on subjects of NHL governance, ownership, Bettman, etc.

I heard him in that segment. It came off very much like gossip of the sort that McCown's cabal seem to have plenty of.
Brunt is a cheeleader for Jim Balsillie and seems to be determined that a team should relocate to his home town of Hamilton.

Nowadays he likes to present himself as a spokesman for Canadian hockey fans, but when the Sens were bankrupt and it looked like they might move he thought it was no big deal and chortled about it in his column.

He recently wrote a book that was really just a hatchet job on Gretzky for going to Los Angelas and contributing to the spread of hockey in the sunbelt.

He refuses to believe that those teams can make it, and is all too eager to report bad news from any team that is in trouble.

Similarly when Ottawa, Edmonton and Calgary were in trouble, he thought that small market Canadian teams likley couldn't make it either and that there should be absolutely no govennment assistance to them.

Interestingly, he was not at all opposed-quite the opposite- when there was talk of government funding the refurbishment of Copps Collesium.

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 07:13 PM
berklon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
when Phoenix's owner, has a $400m-$500m local cable deal that he'll lose by selling the team,then get back to me about how the Isles and Yotes situations are in the same boat.
How many years left in that cable deal anyways?

berklon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 07:14 PM
Ward Cornell

I along with everyone else here has no idea what's really happening behind the wizards curtain. I thnk we can all agree that there's probably a few teams close to a dire situation. The NHL isn't the NFL or MLB which has a huge TV contracts and with the economy for some some owners losing a great deal of money off-loading a non-profit team is a way to start to rebuilding their financial situation...(or at least stop the bleeding)

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 07:21 PM
Isles4ever11

Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
Quote:
Originally Posted by berklon View Post
I think 21 seasons. Might be 20. It ends either 2030 or 2031.

Isles4ever11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 07:40 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/06/11/sp...es-misery.html
TV SPORTS; Rich Cable Deal Lessens Isles' Misery
Cablevision recoiled at the possibility of paying the Islanders 18 1/2 percent of total FSNY-MSG revenues. In the talks, the team got an extension through the 2030-31 season, which features yearly payments rising from $14.8 million next season and $17.5 million in 2000-1 to $36 million in the final year, and the possibility of lousy performances causing a breach disappeared from the final contract.

Old
05-08-2010, 07:46 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
Brunt is a cheeleader for Jim Balsillie and seems to be determined that a team should relocate to his home town of Hamilton.

Nowadays he likes to present himself as a spokesman for Canadian hockey fans, but when the Sens were bankrupt and it looked like they might move he thought it was no big deal and chortled about it in his column.

He recently wrote a book that was really just a hatchet job on Gretzky for going to Los Angelas and contributing to the spread of hockey in the sunbelt.

He refuses to believe that those teams can make it, and is all too eager to report bad news from any team that is in trouble.

Similarly when Ottawa, Edmonton and Calgary were in trouble, he thought that small market Canadian teams likley couldn't make it either and that there should be absolutely no govennment assistance to them.

Interestingly, he was not at all opposed-quite the opposite- when there was talk of government funding the refurbishment of Copps Collesium.
Thanks for the info.

Maybe it's because hockey is Canada's #1 sport,but there does seem to be an awful lot of crappy reporting from the Canadian press,when it comes to credible news on the US teams.

Old
05-08-2010, 07:54 PM
berklon

Quote:
http://www.nytimes.com/1999/06/11/sp...es-misery.html
TV SPORTS; Rich Cable Deal Lessens Isles' Misery
Cablevision recoiled at the possibility of paying the Islanders 18 1/2 percent of total FSNY-MSG revenues. In the talks, the team got an extension through the 2030-31 season, which features yearly payments rising from $14.8 million next season and $17.5 million in 2000-1 to $36 million in the final year, and the possibility of lousy performances causing a breach disappeared from the final contract.
Wow... they must be kicking themselves for paying that much for so long. Their ratings really don't justify that kind of money.

berklon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 08:10 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Wow... they must be kicking themselves for paying that much for so long. Their ratings really don't justify that kind of money.
No, I doubt Cablevision is kicking themselves.

Cablevision's two biggest competitors are Comcast and Time Warner.
I read an article about how lucrative the LI cable licenses are for Cablevision.Cablevision is able to block Comcast and Time Warner from the LI market because it has the NYI broadcast and News 12 broadcast.

Old
05-08-2010, 08:26 PM
hgo

There is no way that this is true. Why would Wang allow the NHL to buy the team? He's kept it through much worse times than this. The team might even be close to turning a profit now that they get profits from concessions and parking.

hgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 08:34 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
No, I doubt Cablevision is kicking themselves.

Cablevision's two biggest competitors are Comcast and Time Warner.
I read an article about how lucrative the LI cable licenses are for Cablevision.Cablevision is able to block Comcast and Time Warner from the LI market because it has the NYI broadcast and News 12 broadcast.
IIRC, only News 12 is exclusive to Cablevision. TW and other cable systems carry the Isles on MSG - but Dolan gets to charge them high subscriber fees.

Most people don't realize that ratings and advertising are really only of secondary importance to most RSNs - the bulk of their revenues come from monthly per subscriber fees that they charge cablecos and satellite providers . RSNs typically charge ~$1.50-4.00 per subscriber per month for every subscriber who receives the channel, whether they watch it or not. The Isles allow MSG to force providers to pick up add'l channels for add'l fees.

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 10:18 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
IIRC, only News 12 is exclusive to Cablevision. TW and other cable systems carry the Isles on MSG - but Dolan gets to charge them high subscriber fees.

Most people don't realize that ratings and advertising are really only of secondary importance to most RSNs - the bulk of their revenues come from monthly per subscriber fees that they charge cablecos and satellite providers . RSNs typically charge ~$1.50-4.00 per subscriber per month for every subscriber who receives the channel, whether they watch it or not. The Isles allow MSG to force providers to pick up add'l channels for add'l fees.
My point was that Cablevision's biggest concern wasn't the isles ratings or the $20m-$36m a yr they will be paying for the next 20/21 yrs.Cablevision's biggest concern is keeping those lucrative those LI cable licenses.

http://www.nysun.com/sports/for-owne...rtfolio/86124/
Even though Dolan is giving both the Islanders and Devils millions of dollars (far more than the ratings merit, frankly), he is doing so to protect his cable franchise licenses both on Long Island and in New Jersey.

Old
05-09-2010, 02:38 AM
KevFu

Under the terms of their previous TV contract (which was originally made with SportsChannel), at the end of the deal, the Islanders had the option of a percentage of ownership in the network..

When MSG TV bought SC, that clause transferred from SC to MSGTV.

MSG wanted no part of that.... not to mention there'd be some pretty intense issues about the Islanders co-owning a company owned by the same people who own the Rangers (?!?)

So, the Islanders held the hammer in negotiations. MSG basically had to say "how much will it take for you to ignore this ownership clause?"

KevFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 02:46 AM
KevFu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post

There's no reason for him to hand the keys over to the NHL.

#1 - He's already put hundreds of millions into the Islanders trying to get the arena/real estate deal done.

#2 - He just got lease concessions that would help the team make more money.

#3 - He wouldn't sell until the Lighthouse Project is officially dead.

#4 - There's strong indications that the LHP is on last rites, but that would mean he's not going to get ANYTHING for the team if he sells now.

This is absolutely THE lowest point he could sell the team. He hasn't seen money from the lease concessions (or the extended TV dea), the arena deal still looks quite bleak, and the team can't legally move for six years.

He's much better off seeing it through to 2016, eliminating the SMG lease, and selling a team that could be moved. He'd get the most money in return that way.

KevFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 03:39 AM
MAROONSRoad
f/k/a Ghost

At least about 1/3rd of NHL teams are "for sale." But who is buying? Times change...

GHOST

MAROONSRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 11:57 AM
MarkMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTofMAROONSroad View Post
At least about 1/3rd of NHL teams are "for sale." But who is buying? Times change...

GHOST
1/3? These are the ones I've got:

1.) Phoenix
2.) Atlanta
3.) Dallas
4.) Florida?
5.) NYI?
6.) ?
7.) ?
8.) ?
9.) ?
10.) ?
Some may put Nashville there, if you're talking about a partial ownership stake (Boots) then okay, but they've got a pretty dedicated if not deep ownership group, this Cigarran guy seems to be doing all the right long-term things, there's conflicting reports over Freeman and his tax lien, but it does seem like that may have gotten blown out of proportion and he's not in financial difficulty so much as he's arguing over his tax bill and didn't want to waive his right of appeal (as demanded by the city), and the ownership group just got a modified agreement with the city over the lease where they proved that even without Freeman they have the net worth to support the team.

Boots' share is tied up in bankruptcy court, but the Preds have lined up a Canadian billionaire (Brett Wilson) to buy that up, so though the Preds make the ownership news for all the wrong reasons, if you look closely at them, they're actually not that bad off. I think they even made money this season.

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 12:51 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMM View Post
1/3? These are the ones I've got:

1.) Phoenix
2.) Atlanta
3.) Dallas
4.) Florida?
5.) NYI?
There a 4 major NY newspapers and 3 all sports radio stations,yet not one is reporting the isles have been put up for sale.

Do me a favor.Post the link from a credible source(such as McKenzie,Botta) saying the nyi are for sale.