Closed Thread

Old
05-03-2010, 04:26 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
You must have a brilliant mind exemplified by your stunningly articulate vocabulary.

Honestly, in that said deal you lambasted in a similar manner to Barney Frank discussing capital gains taxes, it goes without saying that we would have to take salary back in the form of Sopel or Huet, which I am fine with. Instead of trying to sound cool and tough on the internet, maybe you should read into context clues, and perhaps develop a higher standard of reading comprehension?? I'm really glad we are using the hope scholarship to fund the education of such mental giants as yourself. On second thought, you probably go to Gainesville.
Because trying to sound smart and intelligent is so much better. You managed to make yourself look like a jerk while obviously not understanding what would be best for this team. No, it does not go without saying that we would take back salary from guys that we DON'T want. It has absolutely nothing to do with context clues man. You just make yourself look like an ass.

Why would you trade away a 2-way FWD that will do whatever you like from a 4th liner? He will fight, kill penalties, forcheck, and can be a plus player. You can not expect 3rd/4th line rookies to make a huge impact. Although now that I think about it, I would not be suprised to see Mahachek and Cormier to share time with guys on the 3rd/4th line, mainly 4th.

Personally, I don't understand why you want to get rid of Little so much. Care to elaborate why???

I'm not sure what we can expect with White next year. I don't see him playing as bad next year as this past season but the bottom 6 could be quite crowded. Right now it looks like he will be here, but that could change once the offseason really gets going.

Old
05-03-2010, 05:52 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

vCash: 500
I have to agree with ALG. Thorburn is brutal. Dude doesn't make a difference for this team at all.

Old
05-03-2010, 06:14 PM
Shameus

Cut out the belittling of posters. Keep it on topic.

Old
05-03-2010, 06:22 PM
TasteofFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shameus View Post
Cut out the belittling of posters. Keep it on topic.
Sorry dude. I didn't mean to kick off a **** storm.

Old
05-03-2010, 07:23 PM
Shameus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TasteofFlames View Post
Sorry dude. I didn't mean to kick off a **** storm.
No worries

OK I am going to respond specifically to the Thor hate. Did a little number crunching on the Thrashers PK. (on a side note, did not realize this but in 12 of the last 13 games the Thrashers did not allow a goal while on the PK.)

The Thrashers as a team gave up 57 goals on the PK. Here is a break down of the forwards.

Goals scored while on the ice:
Reasoner-23
Pevs-21
Army-16
Thor-14
Slater-10
White/Kane-both 6
Antro-1

This looks like Reasoner and Pevs were our worst PK'ers, but wait.

Time spent on PK total (*I rounded each time up to the next whole number)
Reasoner-253 mins
Pevs-176 mins
Thor-174 mins
Army-166 mins
Slater-99 mins
Kane-75 mins
White-65 mins
MacArthur-17 mins
Antro-8 mins

A few others played less than 5

When you break it down as to per minute they played PK vs goals given up:

Kane - one goal every 12.5 mins
Thor- one goal every 12.4 mins
Reasoner- one goal every 11 mins
White- one goal every 10.8 mins
Army- one goal every 10.4 mins
Slater- one goal every 9.9 mins
Pevs- one goal every 8.4 mins

Conclusion:

Kane, Thor, and Reasoner were far and away the best PK'ers on the team. Pevs and Slater were by far the worst. White and Army were a little below to right at average PK'ers.

Generally your 3rd and 4th line are suppose to be energy and checking lines, so lets check out some stats you would attribute to those lines:

Hits:
Thor-103
Army-74

Blocked Shots:
Thor-37
Army-29

Takeaways:
Thor-32
Army-61

Giveaways(if you have reduced ice time you should be making the most of it)
Thor-8
Army-22

Time on Ice
Thor-759 mins (about 10 per game)
Army-1,169 mins (about 15 per game)

In conclusions about this:

Colby got more goals, assists, and points than Thors no argument here. But it seems that Thor does more with his time on the ice and is more characteristic of a 3/4 liner (more so 4th) than Army is. And he does this at about 1/4 the cost of Army. So explain to me why we should lose one of our best PK'ers and a very effective bottom 6 player? Say you want Army back...fine. But at the cost of Thorburn makes absolutely no sense what so ever.

Last edited by Shameus: 05-04-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old
05-03-2010, 10:26 PM
Ashe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
Because trying to sound smart and intelligent is so much better. You managed to make yourself look like a jerk while obviously not understanding what would be best for this team. No, it does not go without saying that we would take back salary from guys that we DON'T want. It has absolutely nothing to do with context clues man. You just make yourself look like an ass.

Why would you trade away a 2-way FWD that will do whatever you like from a 4th liner? He will fight, kill penalties, forcheck, and can be a plus player. You can not expect 3rd/4th line rookies to make a huge impact. Although now that I think about it, I would not be suprised to see Mahachek and Cormier to share time with guys on the 3rd/4th line, mainly 4th.

Personally, I don't understand why you want to get rid of Little so much. Care to elaborate why???

I'm not sure what we can expect with White next year. I don't see him playing as bad next year as this past season but the bottom 6 could be quite crowded. Right now it looks like he will be here, but that could change once the offseason really gets going.
Quoted for Truth

Old
05-04-2010, 08:20 AM
TasteofFlames

Quote:

Colby got more goals, assists, and points than Thors no argument here. But it seems that Thor does more with his time on the ice and is more characteristic of a 3/4 liner (more so 4th) than Army is. And he does this at about 1/4 the cost of Army. So explain to me why we should lose one of our best PK'ers and a very effective bottom 6 player? Say you want Army back...fine. But at the cost of Thorburn makes absolutely no sense what so ever.
Thank you so much for crunching the numbers. The stats are way more in favor of Thorburn than I would have ever expected, and I'm a fan of his. Some guys do the dirty work very well and get no praise for it, I guess.

Old
05-04-2010, 01:12 PM
Elyoric

Quote:
Did a little number crunching on the Thrashers PK.
Bravo sir on the breakdown. Information, knowledge and analysis are what makes these boards great.

Naked opinion with no back-up is like being subjected to Cynthia Tucker with my eyes forced open clockwork orange style.

Old
05-04-2010, 05:31 PM
Aaronxxx

notice who disappeared once the stats were posted...

Old
05-04-2010, 08:17 PM
aBurmistrov

Low price please.

Old
05-04-2010, 10:55 PM
Robotic

Shameus, your numbers have effectively dispelled the rumour that Slater has evolved into a quality PKer. Spend that money elsewhere.

Old
05-04-2010, 11:25 PM
AintLifeGrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronxxx View Post
notice who disappeared once the stats were posted...
Its called finals man

Old
05-05-2010, 12:23 AM
Johnny8242

Send a message via AIM to Johnny8242
I don't want Colby back. I'm not saying he is a bad player but I just wasn't that impressed with his play this past season. I rather free up a spot for Machacek or another young hungry winger. BTW anyone watching the Wolves playoff games? A couple of prospects have been very good.

Old
05-05-2010, 08:22 AM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindliner View Post
Shameus, your numbers have effectively dispelled the rumour that Slater has evolved into a quality PKer. Spend that money elsewhere.
Yep. The thing is though, Slater is our best faceoff man. So yeah, I don't know.

Old
05-05-2010, 09:12 AM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindliner View Post
Shameus, your numbers have effectively dispelled the rumour that Slater has evolved into a quality PKer.
Not sure where you got "PKer" from. I've always heard Slater is a quality fourth liner.

Closed Thread