HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rd. 2, Gm. 2: Flyers @ Bruins - May 3, 2010 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
05-03-2010, 09:38 PM
Garbage Goal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ice View Post
But I'm not just talking about this game or series, this had been said all season. Luckiness frequently means being in the right place on the ice. That's not something that a rabbit's foot can help.
I was talking about the season as a whole as well. Yes, there's certain things you can do to help your luck, but sometimes you just don't have any, even if you're in the right position. For instance:

-Carter camps next to Brodeur and scores a goal on the PP. That's what he should be doing, but it ends up breaking his foot and losing him for the playoffs.

-Game one against Boston, Savard scores the GWG on a really, really bad angle from far away and the only reason it goes in is because it deflects off of a Flyer in front of him.

-The GWG today, as described by another poster:
Quote:
Such a lucky bounce on that Lucic goal. Parent takes away the passing lane and the sauce bounces 30 feet in the air and lands right in the slot. Although it was on edge, Lucic did a no look spin shot and beat Boucher.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 09:39 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
If not for an imbalance of injuries, the Flyers could have, maybe would have, won Cups in 1976, 1987 and 2004.
Will haunt me forever.

Maybe it comes off as whining, but I mean, our luck with injuries the last 2+ decades has been appalling.

Even going back to 87, seeing games in that series, we somehow took it to 7 with all those guys out.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 09:40 PM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
Pens fans are already assuming a Flyer bit a Bruin. . . what a bunch of uneducated nimwits.

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 09:40 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
If not for an imbalance of injuries, the Flyers could have, maybe would have, won Cups in 1976, 1987 and 2004.
2004 still pisses me off.

Quote:
Again, I'm guessing, but I think it's only Carchidi that has the problem with Richards. He's been on his dick for the whole season and it's out of hand. I'm starting to wonder if Richie kicked his dog or made a pass at his wife or daughter.
I don't know who Carchidi is as I don't follow this kind of stuff. If he's anything like Larry Brooks then I feel bad for Richards.

Old
05-03-2010, 09:41 PM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
Yeah man . . . 2004. . . ugh. I knew if they made it to the Finals they would win, but all those friggin injuries to the D. . . it was absurd.

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 09:42 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Will haunt me forever.

Maybe it comes off as whining, but I mean, our luck with injuries the last 2+ decades has been appalling.

Even going back to 87, seeing games in that series, we somehow took it to 7 with all those guys out.
It's only comes off as an excuse to those who are idealistic when it comes to injuries or to those who aren't very well educated on a team's playoff history.

The Flyers get a lot of flak for not winning for a while now, but injuries have gotten in the way of several Cups potentially.

Old
05-03-2010, 09:42 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
They ought to be using the injuries as a rallying cry, not an excuse. They know everyone in the locker room needs to step their game up to fill some big skates. For the most part, they've all done pretty well...they just need to finish. There is still plenty of heart and talent on this squad even without Gagne, Carter, and Lappy.

Guys like Giroux, JvR, and Leino need to step up and use that talent. They all have gamebreaking abilities.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 09:43 PM
Sideline

vCash: 754
As neutral as a Pens fan can be in a Flyers thread...

This serious would be way more fun to watch if you guys were healthy. Philly looks like a totally different team without Carter. Richards is playing quite well, but he just isn't enough of a skill player to meet Philly's needs right now.

Sideline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 09:43 PM
Centauris*

This one hurts a lot..

but we still got this guys..

We win Wednesday? We are right back in it..

I'm sitting here with an epic beard.. let's keep it going.

Centauris* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 09:44 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
The prior Marc Savard biting incident, if anyone cares, came in 2003 against Darcy Tucker.
Probably deserved it.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 09:45 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
It's only comes off as an excuse to those who are idealistic when it comes to injuries or to those who aren't very well educated on a team's playoff history.

The Flyers get a lot of flak for not winning for a while now, but injuries have gotten in the way of several Cups potentially.
I don't think people realize that in any sport, luck plays a very significant role in the championship every year.

The key is to construct teams that have a 5 year window and hope that you win in 1...maybe 2 of those years and anything else is just gravy.

But that's the risk the Flyers decided to take with the Pronger trade and truly horrible luck, combined with inconsistency, combined with poor FO decisions has put us in the situation we're in now.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 09:47 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2473
Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
Probably deserved it.
November 29, 2003:

Quote:
Atlanta's comeback hopes were hurt four minutes into the third period when Marc Savard was ejected after he bit Tucker's glove during a scuffle. Savard was given a penalty for attempting to injure.

"Things like that happen in a game, I guess," Tucker said. "I looked at the ref and he said he didn't see it, but the linesman called it."

"You couldn't get it to look that way in a movie if you took fifty takes," Al Michaels.

"He's a winner, he's a winner, he's a winner. You won the Kentucky Derby."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUGQV3Q5K50
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 09:58 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
I don't think people realize that in any sport, luck plays a very significant role in the championship every year.

The key is to construct teams that have a 5 year window and hope that you win in 1...maybe 2 of those years and anything else is just gravy.

But that's the risk the Flyers decided to take with the Pronger trade and truly horrible luck, combined with inconsistency, combined with poor FO decisions has put us in the situation we're in now.
I agree completely with everything you've said. Couldn't have said it better.

I think that some people (as evidenced in this GDT) view sports as some idealistic for of competition where the human spirit and "effort" can make up for injuries because people like to think that the championship team is always truly the best team in the league.

That's just not true. You have to be lucky to win a championship. Simple as that. Everything has to go right for you.

I think Hartnell is another big reason why this season has gone the way it has. We expected him to replace Knuble as a crease presence. He hasn't. We expected him to be a fixture in our top six and produce as such, he hasn't. That leaves a huge hole in our offense that needs to be replaced by a guy like Leino now. Leino is still basically a prospect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
They ought to be using the injuries as a rallying cry, not an excuse. They know everyone in the locker room needs to step their game up to fill some big skates. For the most part, they've all done pretty well...they just need to finish. There is still plenty of heart and talent on this squad even without Gagne, Carter, and Lappy.

Guys like Giroux, JvR, and Leino need to step up and use that talent. They all have gamebreaking abilities.
So, you expect Giroux (playing his first full season with no fixed position as of yet), JVR (first year rookie who hasn't done anything since the Olympics), and Leino (a 27ish year-old prospect who barely cracks our top six) to replace Carter, Emery, Leighton, Lapperriere, and Gagne? Good luck with that.

I also can't believe that you just said that JVR and Leino have potential to be game-changers in this stage of their respective careers?

Old
05-03-2010, 10:07 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 965
Quote:
Probably deserved it.
Earlier in the season, when Hartnell was a accused (and subsequently never denied) that he bit Letang, Don Cherry said "Well, what's his fingers doin' in his mouth?"

I'm sure the spin will be "well, he tried to pull his teeth out! What's he sappose ta do?"

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 10:10 PM
Black Ice

How do you make luck? I don't like the idea that something supposedly so big is completely out of a team (or a player's) control.

Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 10:14 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Again, I'm guessing, but I think it's only Carchidi that has the problem with Richards. He's been on his dick for the whole season and it's out of hand. I'm starting to wonder if Richie kicked his dog or made a pass at his wife or daughter.
He kicked his daughter when Carchidi made a pass at his dog.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 10:14 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
How do you make luck? I don't like the idea that something supposedly so big is completely out of a team (or a player's) control.
If a puck bounces thirty feet in the air and you don't know where it is do you have any control whatsoever of where it lands? Or if an opposing player shoots it in the net?

When you scratch a lottery card do you have any control whatsoever as to whether you win or not?

Old
05-03-2010, 10:16 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
If a puck bounces thirty feet in the air and you don't know where it is do you have any control whatsoever of where it lands? Or if an opposing player shoots it in the net?

When you scratch a lottery card do you have any control whatsoever as to whether you win or not?
A randomly landing puck has way more of a chance to be lucky for you if you're in your opponent's zone, which is something that can happen as a result of hard work.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 10:16 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Will haunt me forever.

I think it's an unfortunate downside to the style of hockey we play. When you play a gritty physical style and block of ton of shots you're putting yourself at risk for injury. Then there is just bad luck on top of it.

Cup winning teams have luck on their side, but they also typically have superstars that are more focused on their skill game so they are less prone to injury.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 10:22 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
A randomly landing puck has way more of a chance to be lucky for you if you're in your opponent's zone, which is something that can happen as a result of hard work.
True, but do you actually expect the Flyers to never let the opponent into their zone? Hockey is a back-and-forth game, simple as that. Granted, some pressure is more sustained then others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
I think it's an unfortunate downside to the style of hockey we play. When you play a gritty physical style and block of ton of shots you're putting yourself at risk for injury. Then there is just bad luck on top of it.

Cup winning teams have luck on their side, but they also typically have superstars that are more focused on their skill game so they are less prone to injury.
That's also very true, but our injuries aren't always like that. Carter camps out near a goalie, which is something that happens on every PP in the league, and breaks his foot while scoring a goal with it. Emery getting avascular neurosis (IIRC).

Old
05-03-2010, 10:26 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 965
I thought it was Gormley that Richards had a problem with.

I'm sure whoever it was, they'll make a back-handed comment on their piece tomorrow.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 10:35 PM
FlyerX

No injury excuses. Boston is out a top pairing Dman, their top regular season scorer who plays in every situation and a 3rd pairing Dman.

Boston has made 2 clutch shots. That's the difference right now.

FlyerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 10:42 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Probably deserved it.
Quote:
November 29, 2003:
Either CBC or TSN (can't remember which) showed the video from the incident with Savard & Tucker tonight post-game and one of the commentators said that Savard was quoted as saying something like: 'How else was I supposed to get out of his sleeper hold?'

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 10:44 PM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerX View Post
No injury excuses. Boston is out a top pairing Dman, their top regular season scorer who plays in every situation and a 3rd pairing Dman.

Boston has made 2 clutch shots. That's the difference right now.
You're 100% correct. Many of us are over-analyzing the injuries. Whether or not the injuries are a direct cause of us looking gassed in game 1's OT and game 2's 3rd period, we've carried the play for the series so far despite not having the lead once yet. I still think we're 'winning' 4 periods to 3 in the series thus far. In my opinion, Leino has done his best to fill the gap in Gagne's absence. All other plugs, non-existent.

Problem number 2 tonight was our PP. Getting out of our zone was a disaster on more than one PP, lackadaisical play within the O-zone coupled with 'bad ice' also worked against us executing. Get Pronger back in the crease on the PP whether Chara is there or not. Having the 2 of them in front isn't going to help the B's. Pronger is never able to get a slap shot off from the point because he's always covered.

We can turn this around at home and make this 2-2, it's not much of a reach to say that.

Crescent Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 10:46 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2473
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Either CBC or TSN (can't remember which) showed the video from the incident with Savard & Tucker tonight post-game and one of the commentators said that Savard was quoted as saying something like: 'How else was I supposed to get out of his sleeper hold?'

Claude Lemieux bit Jim Peplinski and he said "I didn't know they allowed cannibalism in the NHL."

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote