HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Tootoo family sues police

Closed Thread

Old
05-12-2004, 01:25 PM
VO #23

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Cherry
Just to clear up one misconception I've seen here...Terence was not a typical young, rowdy minor league hockey player. He was actually a very good guy, really kind, smart, and had a very loyal character. He wasn't a loser. Many of his friends (including police officer buddies he had) were shocked that he was driving impaired that night. He wasn't that kind of guy.

That's probably the most tragic part of all of this and that's probably why a lot of people have a hard time understanding what happened. A normal person who gets an impaired driving charge shrugs it off, pays the price and hopefully learns. Terence killed himself because he wasn't like those people, the shame and guilt he felt was so much deeper. In his clouded state of mind he couldn't find a way of overcoming that.
The Tootoos were known around town for their exploits, starting for Jordin when he was 16 and playing here. While I was shocked that Terence Tootoo committed suicide, I honestly wasn't that shocked to hear that he had the DUI.

It's unfortunate that the Tootoos have decided to take such a course of action, Jordin has always been regarded as a local hero of sorts but this is a pretty blatant cash grab. And dragging the billet into this is just unfortunate too, I don't know him personally but have heard Neil Roy is an upstanding guy.

Old
05-12-2004, 08:48 PM
Phanuthier*

Just wanted to weigh in on the initial topic... the charges are complete bunk.

Do you know how much of the population is depressed? 75%. Should the police detain 75% of the population because they think they might commit suicide? I believe another stat said over 30% of people were suicidal at one time, should they all have been put under servalence?

I would like to point out that late last year, a friend I was living with hung himself, and many people knew that he was depressed, perhaps even suicidal, but whenever anyone asked him about it, he shrugged it off. I also got a crash coarse in how to deal with suicidal people when I was dealing with one case directly when one of my friend's friend was about to kill himself.

Old
05-12-2004, 08:50 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 1000
Still waiting for people that would rather be taken to jail than taken home to stick their hands up.

Old
05-13-2004, 09:26 AM
bb_fan

wow, after reading some of this, i am a bit surprises.

I dont know enough of the story to have an opinion, but are they really 'blaming' everyone else as some would suggest, or merely saying that hey, others failed to do some things that they should, and they need to be held acountable as well??

Old
05-13-2004, 10:38 AM
punchy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_fan
wow, after reading some of this, i am a bit surprises.

I dont know enough of the story to have an opinion, but are they really 'blaming' everyone else as some would suggest, or merely saying that hey, others failed to do some things that they should, and they need to be held acountable as well??

They are blaming everyone else.

If they simply wanted to point out that they felt it wrong that the police didn't keep the lad in jail or that they wished the gun owner hadn't owned a gun or what, then you could say they were simply trying to make certain that it didn't happen to somone else.

They filed a lawsuit for the maximum allowed (reportedly with regards to this situation) against not only the police, but against a family freind who had nothing at all to do with what Tootoo did.

If it weren't for the money, they wouldn't be asking for it. They would use their status to gather media attention to the problems as they see them.

This is a cash grab and it is right sick to me.

Old
05-13-2004, 12:37 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by punchy1

This is a cash grab and it is right sick to me.

because the Tootoo's are the money-grubbing type, and Jordin simply isn't making enough money to satisfy them. Why, they should be grouped in with the lady that sued McDonalds for the coffee being too hot...or even the people that sued McDonalds because it made them fat.

The lawsuit might seem a bit strange, but it's not even for all that much money, considering a death is involved. I think this is more about closure and feeling like a wrong is righted. As I said before, it's not easy for you to understand because it wasn't YOUR son\brother.

But don't insult them by calling it a "cash grab," because that doesn't make sense.

Old
05-13-2004, 12:55 PM
punchy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
because the Tootoo's are the money-grubbing type, and Jordin simply isn't making enough money to satisfy them. Why, they should be grouped in with the lady that sued McDonalds for the coffee being too hot...or even the people that sued McDonalds because it made them fat.

The lawsuit might seem a bit strange, but it's not even for all that much money, considering a death is involved. I think this is more about closure and feeling like a wrong is righted. As I said before, it's not easy for you to understand because it wasn't YOUR son\brother.

But don't insult them by calling it a "cash grab," because that doesn't make sense.

Firstly, you should read my post above this one to see where I stand on the issue.

Secondly, if they weren't trying to get the most money they could, they wouldn't be suing the family freind whos gun he took without permission to kill his self with.

If it were a "we want justice and to protect that this cannot happen again" situation, then why would they sue?

There are many and well better ways to go about bringing this sort of thing to the attention of Law Makers and the Public than this.

Doing this can only lead to people looking at this either blindly loyal to the Tootoos or that they are going for the money.

Even the strongest supporters of theirs in this thread seem to balk at the notion of supporting their suing of the family freind.

I have to ask you, what reason would you give for what their family is doing other than going after the money for what happened?

I cannot see it. If it were only the police, then I would say they were wrong but that would be my opinion based on my life expereinces, the minute they added the family freind, they lost all support from me.

Oh, and it is for the *Maximum* amount that they are allowed to sue for under Canadian law. If they could sue for more I feel they would based on their current actions.
Tragic yes, actionable, not close.

Old
05-13-2004, 08:47 PM
Ex

Law Suit

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sub...-2209364c.html

Old
05-16-2004, 09:47 AM
DaFeared

One thing people need to realize is that Police Officers are human beings just like everyone else. Yes, they sure do make mistakes. Their job is "to serve and protect." These men and women go into the feild because they feel they are responsible enough and have a genuine interest in "protecting and serving" their communities. When applying to a police force they are required to pass many of tests, one of which is a certain test (not sure what it is called), which is composed of many hypothetical questions and a certain mark is needed to pass.

In addition to the one persons question "how many of you would rather spend the night in jail then get a free ride home right after booking?", I would also like to ask.. How many of you would rather have robots serving and protecting communities, rather than a collective group from the most intelligent species on earth?

I have read many articles on this invesitgation, but I have yet to see who exactly Terence was handed over to and what the circumstances were. It is evident that Jordin went to a friends house for the night. So when the police took Terence back to Jordin's billets residence who was there to accept responsibility? It says that the officers were reprimanded because they didn't hand Terence over to a "responsible and sober adult." Perhaps the billet at the time was drunk himself and the police for some reason did not pick up on it?? If anyone knows anymore information about this point in the case, please let me know. In any case, this seems like perhaps a small human error, I guess we won't find out until they go to court. As stated earlier, cops are not shrinks, but do their job the best they can, which is to protect and serve. I do not think the officers in question should be charged or fired... I think the actions taken against them is accurate and sufficiant(from the information the public is aware of anyways).

I think if anything, the methodologies of the police department should be put in question, not the certain police officers that dropped him off. Obviously Terence comes from a place where the suicide rate is 7 times higher than the national average and I can almost guarantee you that the police may not have been aware of that.

They are police officers, not statistitians (sp). Instead of releasing a person charged with impared driving to a "responsible adult" maybe they should try and figure out a new way of doing things? Perhaps, detain that person for an X period of time, unless a "responsible and sober" adult PICKS HIM UP. As stated earlier.. the gesture of dropping Terence off was out of good nature, and I believe, in fact, they were under the belief that they were doing Terence a favor and were unaware that he was going to take his own life. Infact, I don't think Jordin himself was even aware that Terence was suicidal otherwise he would have not let him a) drink at dinner, b) drive home drunk, c) drive home drunk ALONE, and d) stay at a friends house over night, rather than with his suicidal brother. After all Jordin knew him best, right?

I personally think tootoo's parents have made the wrong move by suing. Not only are they tainting Jordin and Terences image, they are tainting the Inuk's image, the Brandon Wheat King organization, as well as an upstanding person in the Brandon community, which happens to be a family friend (former billet of Jordin Tootoo and many other Wheat Kings hockey players before him). If I was that family friend, I would feel like I got stabbed in the back, and kicked in the teeth. Who knows, maybe he will be so upset, so let down, so humiliated, and betrayed because he thought he was doing good by giving Jordin a decent home to stay in while he played out his junior career for the wheat kings, that he will go out and take his own life the same way Terence did. Then who will be to blame? Rose Tootoo? I think you all know where I am going with this.

The Snyder family opted not to press charges, or sue because they were more interested in making sure Dan's name live's on. Heatly is obviously a great hockey player and i'm sure somewhere along the line, will make sure the snyder family is doing alright, financially. Jordin is obviously a big hit in Nashville and will most likely be around for a while and will make more than enough in his career to make sure himself and his family are well off (understatement). Although I do not want to label this as a "cash grab," I do feel that the tootoo's feel that some form of compensation will bring closure to their sons death.

As stated above, the problem I see is that they are going about this the wrong way. They should perhaps try and get some laws changed if they can, not sue a family friend. In some people's books (such as the snyder families) that is morally
wrong and definitly won't help their cause (and when I say "their" I mean, the tootoo familie's image, the Inuk people, and everyone else involved).

I feel that Terence was a victim of circumstance and no single person should be held accountable for what happened that night, including the police officers involved. I also feel that the tootoo family has a lot of anger in them still (what else would it be?) and should have resolved that before making any decisions. They should use their situation to better the future of their Inuk people, and other future DUI drivers in the future by trying to get laws changed and not focus on personal gain. Why do I feel this way? Because like I stated all along, police officers are human beings and make mistakes, which means that the possibility for this happening in the future is present unless certain codes of conducts are changed so that they aren't put in a position to be held accountable in the first place.

For the record, I am a huge fan of the Canadian Hockey League and of Jordin tootoo. I will always look at Jordin as a person who "went all the way" like his brother wanted him to. I"m proud of him and happy for the rest of the Inuk community, but I simply do not agree with what his family is trying to do. Please look at the big picture people....... that is all, thank you.

Last edited by DaFeared: 05-16-2004 at 09:57 AM.
Old
05-16-2004, 03:17 PM
txomisc

" A normal person who gets an impaired driving charge shrugs it off, pays the price and hopefully learns. Terence killed himself because he wasn't like those people, the shame and guilt he felt was so much deeper. In his clouded state of mind he couldn't find a way of overcoming that."

biggest load of crap ever
if this were the case then this kid would clearly have killed himself anyway...seriously if it was guilt about the drunk driving, he would have felt it whether he got caught or not
he would have made it home safely and felt so guilty that he had driven home that he would be forced to take his own life...who gets suied in that scenario? the cops for not catching him?

lets get real here people
this guy shot himself...noone else is responsible
perhaps his family is suing because they want to place blame on someone else when they feel they are largely responsible
the kid clearly had issues other than drunk driving

Old
05-17-2004, 10:02 PM
Ex

Inquest

The billets were sleeping when Terence was drop off and no attempt was made to wake them up, when the police were at the house. (Based on what the Roy's told CTV) There was a message left on the Roy's cell phone asking for him to contact the Constable.

Even though the Roy's were not waken, the Police officers radioed in that they had drop off Terence with the Roy's.

I believe the Tootoo's asked for an inquest, but were denied because it was a suicide. The only thing done up to the point of the Tootoo's lawsuit was an "internal review" by the Brandon Police. What harm would of been done by releasing the names of the police officers involved, especially when the Brandon Police took disciplinary actions against those officers. To me this looks like something they wanted to keep "hush hush", or was it just another "favor" to help the family forget and move on.

I'm sure we've all had the feeling of letting some one down. But put yourself in Terence's shoes and imagine sitting in the back of the cruiser or being booked and being told your wrecking your future, you'll never get back into the US. Not saying those words were actually said, but it's hard not to believe that the officers never gave a speech to put a little scare into Terence, hoping he would never make the same mistake again.

I really hope the Tootoo's don't hold anything against the billet. And that the only reason the billet is named is because, the Brandon Police lawyers can argue that it was the Roy's fault for "illegal" storage of a gun and by naming the Roy's in the suit they will be able to defend themselves in court and also point the finger back at the Brandon Police.

What ever happens won't change anything, but I see this as their "inquest" and as the only way to get answers and piece what happened that night together. And don't be surprised to see any monetary benefit to go directly suicide prevention or some other type of hockey grant.

Old
05-17-2004, 11:16 PM
Sammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex
The billets were sleeping when Terence was drop off and no attempt was made to wake them up, when the police were at the house. (Based on what the Roy's told CTV) There was a message left on the Roy's cell phone asking for him to contact the Constable.

Even though the Roy's were not waken, the Police officers radioed in that they had drop off Terence with the Roy's.

I believe the Tootoo's asked for an inquest, but were denied because it was a suicide. The only thing done up to the point of the Tootoo's lawsuit was an "internal review" by the Brandon Police. What harm would of been done by releasing the names of the police officers involved, especially when the Brandon Police took disciplinary actions against those officers. To me this looks like something they wanted to keep "hush hush", or was it just another "favor" to help the family forget and move on.

I'm sure we've all had the feeling of letting some one down. But put yourself in Terence's shoes and imagine sitting in the back of the cruiser or being booked and being told your wrecking your future, you'll never get back into the US. Not saying those words were actually said, but it's hard not to believe that the officers never gave a speech to put a little scare into Terence, hoping he would never make the same mistake again.
So? Are they supposed to say "Better luck next time drinking & driving there Bud"?
I really hope the Tootoo's don't hold anything against the billet. And that the only reason the billet is named is because, the Brandon Police lawyers can argue that it was the Roy's fault for "illegal" storage of a gun and by naming the Roy's in the suit they will be able to defend themselves in court and also point the finger back at the Brandon Police.
How do you know this?Thats garbage. Its flawed in logic & in law.

What ever happens won't change anything, but I see this as their "inquest" and as the only way to get answers and piece what happened that night together.
And don't be surprised to see any monetary benefit to go directly suicide prevention or some other type of hockey grant.
Are all 22 year olds in Brandon treated like infants, so when they do something wrong they are to be left with a resonsible adult?
Disgusting attempted cash grab.

Old
05-18-2004, 02:43 AM
DaFeared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
Are all 22 year olds in Brandon treated like infants, so when they do something wrong they are to be left with a resonsible adult?
Disgusting attempted cash grab.

I don't agree with the tootoo's getting money either just because of who they are. I doubt other people sue the police because their son or daughter took their own life. I guess we'll see how court goes.

Old
05-18-2004, 09:36 PM
Ex

I don't see why the Police would have to drop off anyone over the age of 18 with a sober adult as long as they are dropping the person off at home.

But those are the proceedures that the Brandon Police follow and they were not followed on that night.

If you are upset with the rules send a letter to the Brandon Police to make a change and inquire about the proceedures that your local law inforcement follow.

And don't worry about the Tootoo's getting one cent because of who they are. If the courts find that there is no fault, which is the consensus of the majority on this post, then it will end at that.

Closed Thread