HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which Big Salaried Forward Goes?

View Poll Results: If One of them has to go, who would you like it to be?
Dany Heatley, 28, $7.5 cap hit for 4 more years 11 7.64%
Joe Thornton, 29, $7.2 cap hit for 1 more year 3 2.08%
Patrick Marleau, 29, impending UFA 95 65.97%
Ryane Clowe, 26, $3.625 cap hit for 3 more years 3 2.08%
Joe Pavelski, 24, impending RFA 2 1.39%
Devin Setoguchi, 22, impending RFA 7 4.86%
None, go with the bottom of the barrell in goal and on the blueline 23 15.97%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-07-2010, 05:08 PM
renodave

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I've been very accountable of Marleau's shortcomings in these playoffs. He's not doing enough offensively in terms of production but I'm not pretending like some people that he's been useless out there. He's been doing a damn fine job on his shifts killing penalties. He's been good as the 3rd man high. He's been using his speed to open up ice for his linemates. He simply is not getting on the board enough and that's a legitimate issue and concern. That reality doesn't make it a deal-breaker for me to let him walk because you don't simply replace 40+ goals from within and you don't replace his speed, offensive instincts, and defensive capabilities period.

You make some good points Pink, but the simple fact is that Marleau has drastically underperformed over the past 4 playoffs. His playoff scoring production is less than 1/2 of what it is during the regular season. This is not an abberation but a trend. It has nothing to do with the raw skills Marleau has, but the six inch void between his ears. I'd be shocked to see him in teal next year.

renodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 07:06 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douggernaut View Post
2 straight Selke trophies would beg to differ at who's the better defensive forward.

And even if those matchups are true, I haven't watched enough Detroit games to know, the Zetterberg lining up against Pavelski in the first 2 games proves the same point. Except Pavelski's line was working Z's in the first 2 games, and didn't fair as well against Datsyuk.

He didn't really give up a lot. A very overpriced Cheechoo and an injury-prone Michalek, the cap hits nearly balanced out, so any other moves made that off season weren't Wilson giving up anything else to get him.

I don't think Heatley gets traded in any case, mostly because the rumors of him not having a NTC have never been substantiated. But given the choice between Marleau at a $5.5-6 cap hit and Heatley at a $7.5, I'd take Marleau every time.
1st 2 games were on san jose ice, oh who has last change the sharks. so the sharks were the ones setting the matchups.

and you just said it yourself, you don't watch enough wings games. and i don't care that datzyuk has won 2 selke's it really is an over rated award. just put it this way, thornton has finished top 10 in selke votes a few times in the past 5 years also. any one want to try and prove thornton is one of the best defensive players in the league?

zetterberg is used as the primary top forward shut down player on the wings. datzyuk is used sparingly with zetterberg, but is mainly on his own line facing the 2nd best lines of the other team. (not every team can boast a top 2 lines like the sharks do this stanley cup playoffs)

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote