HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Things that need to happen in Game 2

Closed Thread

Old
05-09-2004, 05:27 PM
swflyers8*

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
Things that need to happen in Game 2

Our biggest problem was the defensive breakdowns. Johnsson's turnover doesn't really count since the ref got in the way of his clear. It's hard to stop 2 Bolt players going to the net. The second goal should have been cleared and it wasn't because of a defensive lapse. Bad coverage on Dingbat's goal. They do need to split Pitkanen and Timander up. Put experience with each guy so they don't get exposed.

Now, about the offense, if Prims can get in like that in Game 1, he will be doing it the rest of the series. We have the physical edge and we need to use it. We are giving up too easily trying to establish position in front of Bulin. That is why we are forced to shoot and hence the block shots. You do that and it's going to draw more Bolts players down low for coverage, leaving shots to be had on Bulin. The traffic needs to pick up. I have no problem with Esche, the goals were defensive lapses.

2 Keys: Establish yourself in front of the Tampa net. Don't give up, we did that in Game 1. Tighten up the defense, split up the rookies and don't through Sami back to the defense.

Old
05-09-2004, 05:34 PM
FlyersHomer DM03

Quote:
Originally Posted by swflyers8
Johnsson's turnover doesn't really count since the ref got in the way of his clear.
refs have been getting in the way lately, a lot more than usual. One of these times it's gonna cost a team a big goal in a decisive game

Old
05-09-2004, 05:42 PM
fisby

<--------------------

Old
05-09-2004, 06:05 PM
Blindside9711

Send a message via MSN to Blindside9711
I was out of town for Game 1... but I WILL be watching Game 2 when we come back and get the split in Tampa.
I agree that we have to establish our physical advantage and keep an intense, conscious 60-minute effort going. Our best players, put simply, have to be our best players. We need the goal support from guys like Roenick, Amonte, Recchi, Zhamnov and hard efforts from guys like Zeus, Primeau, Leclair, etc. No one player is going to win this series for either team, it'll come down to who can play together as a cohesive unit and who wants it more. I think the Flyers have the motivation and the capabilities to end this series in 6.

Old
05-10-2004, 01:24 AM
Larry44

Simple lack of hatred

The Flyers played great hockey vs. NJ and Toronto because they hate the other team. They played yesterday like they didn't hate the Bolts.

Someone needs to take a real good cheap shot at St. Louis to get the intensity level on both teams up.

:mad:

Old
05-10-2004, 06:39 AM
joeminus

Send a message via AIM to joeminus Send a message via Yahoo to joeminus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44
Someone needs to take a real good cheap shot at St. Louis ...
Classy.

Old
05-10-2004, 07:57 AM
swflyers8*

I hate to say this but the Lightning love to block shots, right? Well, maybe the Flyers need to make them think twice about blocking shots. If the Flyers just start firing some cannons and they begin to hit Lightning players, the Lightning may become apprehensive to go down to block a shot. All teams like to block shots, this team does moreso.

Quote:
Someone needs to take a real good cheap shot at St. Louis to get the intensity level on both teams up.
Not a cheap shot, just a legal, leveling type of hit.

Old
05-10-2004, 09:16 AM
tytech

The ref wasn't in the way. The ref is like another player. The ref didn't jump infront of the puck. Johnson and his sissy broken hand put the puck into the ref. He had all the time in the world to look and place the puck nicely out of the zone.

Old
05-10-2004, 09:31 AM
donelikedinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytech
The ref wasn't in the way. The ref is like another player. The ref didn't jump infront of the puck. Johnson and his sissy broken hand put the puck into the ref. He had all the time in the world to look and place the puck nicely out of the zone.

the refs are not like other players, the the refs are supposed to stay out of the play to their best ability. if the ref had been along the boards, as they are supposed to be, the puck would have cleared the zone on the johnson play.

no matter what the score, the best ref'd game is the one where refs encourage the game flow, not impede it.

Old
05-10-2004, 10:50 AM
swflyers8*

Quote:
Yes, the idiot was in the way. They have been doing that all season, getting in the freaking way. I don't know how many times I have screamed "MOVE REF" at my television screen. Didn't Brash nail a ref with nice check in Game 1? They need to get out of the way of the play. Yes, Johnsson has a broken hand so now he is a sissy? Whatever.

Old
05-10-2004, 11:19 AM
Coburnfan05

The refs did not make an impact on that game, one bad bounce so be it. The speed of Tampa did not effect our defense which is 1 of the positives I took out of game #1.

3 keys to victory in game 2

1)I want to see the 2 man forecheck throughout the entire game, and we must finish all our cheques. Thier smaller skilled guys will wear down after repeated physical contact. And Lecalvier takes dumb penalties if you get in his head, so make an effort to check him with regularity.

2)More shots...We need to put up 30+ if we are going to win, especially on the PP.

3)More relaible d zone coverage...we have to watch for the late guys coming into the slot.

Old
05-10-2004, 11:36 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by swflyers8
Yes, the idiot was in the way. They have been doing that all season, getting in the freaking way. I don't know how many times I have screamed "MOVE REF" at my television screen. Didn't Brash nail a ref with nice check in Game 1? They need to get out of the way of the play. Yes, Johnsson has a broken hand so now he is a sissy? Whatever.

There's too damn many....and now they miss MORE calls. :mad: Please Bettman you fool, one ref+2 linesmen= open ice. They keep looking for ways to free space out there without making the ice surface bigger, send one of these clowns packing per game and leave the goalies alone.

Old
05-10-2004, 11:49 AM
VaFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44
The Flyers played great hockey vs. NJ and Toronto because they hate the other team. They played yesterday like they didn't hate the Bolts.

:mad:
IMO, they played like they didn't RESPECT them. They played like they had just beaten their 2 biggest rivals and took this third team as a joke. They weren't convinced that Tampa Bay was for real. They looked at who they beat in the playoffs, and thought, like some on here, that they hadn't played anyone yet and were now against a real opponent. They weren't mentally sharp. Their mental mistakes led to goals against, missed opportunities on offense, and mistakes in their positional play without the puck.

Old
05-10-2004, 02:50 PM
Yertle The Turtle

Send a message via AIM to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via MSN to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via Yahoo to Yertle The Turtle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tytech

Ya dude johnson playing with a broken hand. that sure does make him a sissy

Old
05-10-2004, 03:06 PM
AGraveOne

Send a message via Yahoo to AGraveOne
The Flyers came out burning. They owned the 1st period...

What changed? Was TB just out of whack and in the second they adjusted and played their game? or did Philly stop doing something they had been doing in the first?

The turning point was Primeau's clod-like interference move. One of the funnies moves i've ever seen. Ok, i don't know if that was a turning point really but i just wanted to mention the play.

Overall, a good game. not as fun to watch as the San Jose/Calgary game, but still a competitive matchup that can go a lot of ways...

Old
05-10-2004, 11:48 PM
Synthetic

Send a message via AIM to Synthetic Send a message via MSN to Synthetic
Everyone that needed to turn on their scoring did, really.

Leclair got one, Recchi, even Timander.

All we need to do is do now is simmer down the Bolts in Game 3, because they're gonna come out swinging. We need to match their intensity in that game. If we do, we've got this series in the bag.

Old
05-11-2004, 02:54 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
ive said this before. relax. the Flyers are coming home. home ice, our fans, our home cooking. 2 things. i want to see how TB responds after getting their butts kicked and i want to see how they respond to what will be the most hostile envirement they have seen in a playoff game so far this post season.
I expect a much better TB team thursday night but i am very confident coming back home as well

Old
05-11-2004, 10:54 AM
iceman42

What I find interesting is in Game #1 the Flyers easily could have won, looks like the backed off or got timid all of a sudden. TB didnt really scare me, and they played an okay game.
Game 2 the Flyers kept it and played a full 45 minutes of intense hockey, the last 15 or 10 minutes was pretty much hetler skelter, dont think they played 100% with the way they can play. TB again didnt scare me, like every team they have a couple of good players, but for the most part they really dont look like they have stepped it up intensitywise or in their mindset. I really expected that to change in game 2 with Tampa, I thought that they would understand that the Flyers played like $h!t and could have beaten them, but I guess I was wrong.

I saw more intensity from another team when we played the Rangers towards the end of the season then I saw from Tampa.

Anyhu .. lets go Flyers .. seven more

Last edited by iceman42: 05-11-2004 at 10:58 AM.
Closed Thread