Central Europe Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, Hungary, Italy

Michal Lanicek

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2004, 06:27 AM
McCabeW

vCash: 500
Michal Lanicek

Does anyone have any info on him. He was drafted in the 5th round of the 1999 draft by Tampa Bay Lightning and is currently playing for HC SOH Benatky nad Jizerou. Does he have any chance of succeeding in N. America?

Old
05-12-2004, 10:16 PM
Golbez

Send a message via ICQ to Golbez Send a message via MSN to Golbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCabeW
Does anyone have any info on him. He was drafted in the 5th round of the 1999 draft by Tampa Bay Lightning and is currently playing for HC SOH Benatky nad Jizerou. Does he have any chance of succeeding in N. America?
I don't know much about the guy, but..

Lanicek was already in North America for 2 seasons...he played well in his first season in the UHL, but then couldn't hold the same level of play in the ECHL...struggled the next year in both the UHL and ECHL.

Really, the guy got shafted in his development as he was basically made a backup goalie at both the ECHL and UHL(!) level...he should have stayed at home or played in a better development environment. I think the Lightning gave up on him, but I could be wrong

Now, playing poorly as a backup for a 2nd division Czech team is FAR from the NHL...I don't have any idea what his career plans are or where he'll be next year...he's almost fallen off the face of the planet.

From the looks of things, Lanicek needs to get somewhere where he can get some playing time, plain and simple. Unless he can play a large chunk of quality games next year, I'd consider him done in terms of North American aspirations.

Old
05-13-2004, 06:33 PM
McCabeW

Thanks fo the info.

He's trying to get back into N. American hockey. Some ECHL and UHL teams have shown interest.

Closed Thread