HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Apple Sells One Million iPads

Old
05-03-2010, 10:08 AM
guinness
those were the days

vCash: 500
Apple Sells One Million iPads

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/05/03ipad.html

I don't know if I should be surprised or not.

Am I the only one that doesn't get the point of tablets ATM? They're cool, but...(lots of caveats, limited use?). Somewhat reminds of the TV companies going ape-**** over 3D right now or something.

It's like I want to think the Nook/Kindle are cool too, but I just don't read a lot of books, and it seems like the digital copies are terribly expensive, in comparison to paperbacks. And the devices themselves are close to $300, that could buy a lot of real books.

As for the iPad, I just keep looking at it, as a big version of my iPod Touch, with slightly expanded SW (and beefed-up HW of course).

guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 10:16 AM
SilverSeven

Huh? I have a Sony ereader. The digital editions are about 1/4 the cost for new books, and for anything in paperback are still cheaper.

They are even cheaper if, like every other electronic device on the market, you fill them with product aquired through other means. $300 wont really buy you that many books. The first 2 books I loaded on it (Lost Symbol, Under the Dome) would have run me about $80-$100 at the time. Dont know if they are in paperback yet.

And on 3DTV....I saw a demo of one at FS the other day and couldnt believe how good it is. I am sold. My next TV will definately be one...though that is a few years away either way.

On tablets...yeah...not really getting it, though I think my mother would find one useful.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 10:23 AM
DeathFromAbove

The iPad isn't a tablet....you can't write on it.

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 11:14 AM
parabola
BOlieve dat

Ugh. I cant believe these things are selling.

People really will buy anything from Apple.

parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 11:17 AM
neofury*

I think it's a stupid product personally, I don't get how people get suckered into buying stuff like this. Now in the future iTunes will sell books for the iPad right? haha big shocker, another way for apple to cash in off a product that's borderline useless, and yeah, I think the iTouch is useless too, just get an iPhone.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 11:33 AM
MayDay

Whether you like the iPad or not, I think that the success of the iPad is good for the growth of the tablet sector, and will spur competitors to release more products that try to "one-up" the iPad in various ways.

Sure there were tablet/slate computers before, but they've always been a very small niche. Just like there were (mostly crappy) mp3 players before the iPod, but it was the success of the iPod that really ignited the explosion of the whole mp3 player category.

I like Apple products in general, but I'm not sure I'd get an iPad. Partly because I already have a good laptop, and the iPad doesn't really do anything I can't do on my laptop. And partly because I don't like the fact that software can only be acquired through Apple's app store.

But I may be interested in future tablets running Chrome OS or WebOS.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 11:54 AM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
The iPad isn't a tablet....you can't write on it.
That's my issue. I could justify the writeoff for work if I could at least take notes on it and save them. Huge, HUGE oversight in my opinion.

Yeah, it's a big iPod. The functions I could see myself really using it for are:
Multimedia, much better experience for traveling and commuting, a bit nicer than squinting at the little screen on my iPhone.
Presentations with clients.
E-books.

The functions I could see myself thinking I would use it for but never would are:
Web browsing, skype, and other basic computer functions around the house. I would eventually revert back to my MBP because it would be a lot more comfortable to use (keyboard).

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 11:56 AM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I think it's a stupid product personally, I don't get how people get suckered into buying stuff like this. Now in the future iTunes will sell books for the iPad right? haha big shocker, another way for apple to cash in off a product that's borderline useless, and yeah, I think the iTouch is useless too, just get an iPhone.
Are you saying e-readers or books are borderline useless?

Old
05-03-2010, 12:29 PM
Stories
Science!

Add me to the category of confused. I can't believe 1 million have bought this thing. Do people REALLY need another computer-like device (particularly one that you can't use on the go like a smartphone but is too small to use as a real computer at home)?

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 12:30 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Its not really a tablet, but i am not really surprised because its Apple selling it

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 01:22 PM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
Ugh. I cant believe these things are selling.

People really will buy anything from Apple.
This - Apple is almost like a community now where people seem to buy anything they make just to fit in. Rather pathetic that the iPad already sold a million units because it's basically an iPhone without the ability to make phone calls. You can buy a laptop that can do a lot more for a lot less...

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 01:28 PM
TeamlessWatcher

I wonder how it feels like to realize how much of a consumer ***** you are when you buy one of these.

TeamlessWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 02:15 PM
FruityPants3*

I have to laugh at some of the insults directed to iPad purchasers. So what if you don't like the product, it doesn't work for me, either, but it doesn't mean they are all brand zombies or apple ******.

For example, if you are interested in an e-reader and willing to plop down $400 for a device (ie Sony Reader Daily Edition), what's another $100 for a device that also can do e-books, introduces a beautiful colour display, is able to play movies, view photos, send email, browse the web, run iTunes and any of the thousands of apps available?

Old
05-03-2010, 02:30 PM
SilverSeven

I dont get the Ipad as an ereader. It kind of voids the biggest feature of an ereader...which is that it is virtually identical to paper.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 02:48 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
I dont get the Ipad as an ereader. It kind of voids the biggest feature of an ereader...which is that it is virtually identical to paper.
Yeah, if I was really serious about an e-reader that would be a big con for me. But virtual paper vs all the additional features I outlined, from a functionality standpoint, would make me ask how serious I am about the virtual paper.

IMO, the e-reader is the grossly overpriced piece of equipment for what it offers. If Apple released something that ONLY functioned as an e-reader, and priced it at $300-400 (same as Sony), people would still be going on and on about how stupid people are who buy Apple products.

Old
05-03-2010, 02:51 PM
MayDay

Quote:
There are two main advantages of an e-reader:

1) the eInk display that resembles printed pages and can be read for long periods without eye strain or glare (even in direct sunlight).

and

2) low power consumption meaning that the battery can last a week or more.

The iPad takes away both of those advantages, resulting in an "e-reader" that's essentially no different than reading off the LCD display of a laptop.

So yeah, I don't really get it either.

Old
05-03-2010, 03:00 PM
DreamCatcher*

Apple has perfected the concept of cult branding. I have friend who has a macbook and an iphone but also wants to buy a ipad to read books

The Kindle/Nook are far superior than the ipad for books but people seem to hang on to Steve Jobs nuts.

DreamCatcher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 03:20 PM
parabola
BOlieve dat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCatcher View Post

The Kindle/Nook are far superior than the ipad for books but people seem to hang on to Steve Jobs nuts.
I disagree. If i wanted to buy an ebook reader, i'd buy an iPad. I love the iPad screen and it really isn't an eye strain unless you look at it for like 4+ hours. I never read for more than about 1 hr at a time if that.

That said, I have almost no interest in getting an ebook reader.

Old
05-03-2010, 03:26 PM
ILuvLucic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
There are two main advantages of an e-reader:

1) the eInk display that resembles printed pages and can be read for long periods without eye strain or glare (even in direct sunlight).

and

2) low power consumption meaning that the battery can last a week or more.

The iPad takes away both of those advantages, resulting in an "e-reader" that's essentially no different than reading off the LCD display of a laptop.

So yeah, I don't really get it either.
I'd rather have a book that costs cheaper, doesn't brake down and has unlimited battery life.

ILuvLucic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 03:40 PM
theotis77

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gew68Qj5kxw

theotis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 03:46 PM
parabola
BOlieve dat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kezia View Post
I'd rather have a book that costs cheaper, doesn't brake down and has unlimited battery life.
Indeed. That was kind of my point in my last post. I'd rather just you know... read a book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AroJay View Post
Completely awesome but only for that one book, and i'm sure has limited appeal.

Old
05-03-2010, 03:58 PM
HFPM

Send a message via MSN to HFPM
Quote:
Style over substance. I could really care less if an e-book uses physics-based objects. It kind of detracts from its original purpose.

HFPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 04:00 PM
MayDay

Quote:
Whatever the hell that is, it isn't a book.

It's an interactive video that happens to have some text on it.

Old
05-03-2010, 04:08 PM
parabola
BOlieve dat

The one thing I don't understand about the whole iPad craze is everyone knows the next revision will have things the current iPad doesn't. I don't understand why anyone would buy the first generation of the iPad. Put a front facing camera on it and I actually probably would buy it just because it opens up a lot more potential. Especially since the iPhone is getting a front facing camera and the iPod touch is getting a camera. The iPad WILL be getting one.

Chat Roulette on an iPad would be pretty awesome.

Old
05-03-2010, 04:11 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
Completely awesome but only for that one book, and i'm sure has limited appeal.
Not so sure. Imagine the niche this could create for children's books. Animated bedtime stories that come to life on the iPad, audio voice overs, music, sound effects, interactive elements. What about common high school material complete with links to online discussion, essays and common interpretations? All things that could make it a better viewer experience than the pure e-readers and things someone could make a lot of money off of.

Of course, there's something unnatural about that whole suggestion.