HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Apple Sells One Million iPads

Old
05-03-2010, 04:27 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityPants3 View Post
Not so sure. Imagine the niche this could create for children's books. Animated bedtime stories that come to life on the iPad, audio voice overs, music, sound effects, interactive elements. What about common high school material complete with links to online discussion, essays and common interpretations? All things that could make it a better viewer experience than the pure e-readers and things someone could make a lot of money off of.

Of course, there's something unnatural about that whole suggestion.
There's a gigantic market for extremely expensive electronic toys for spoiled children of rich housewives here where I live. I'm sure it's the same everywhere.

Buying iPads for their children under the illusion that it's an educational toy. Really just another excuse to ignore your children for hours at a time.

More money than brains, and bad parenting.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 04:33 PM
mlandry

Quote:
Originally Posted by AroJay View Post
Jesus that video almost made me sick. Who the hell thought it would be a good idea to shake the camera so much.

mlandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 04:56 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermassive View Post
There's a gigantic market for extremely expensive electronic toys for spoiled children of rich housewives here where I live. I'm sure it's the same everywhere.

Buying iPads for their children under the illusion that it's an educational toy. Really just another excuse to ignore your children for hours at a time.

More money than brains, and bad parenting.
Who said anything about buying iPads for children? Has all iPad rhetoric finally resorted to these simplistic black and white arguments?

Yes, because enjoying a bedtime story on an iPad means you can no longer use it for regular books/email/browsing the web/listening to music/skype/watching movies/tv/youtube. Oh, it also means you are a bad parent.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 05:00 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Yeah, if I was really serious about an e-reader that would be a big con for me. But virtual paper vs all the additional features I outlined, from a functionality standpoint, would make me ask how serious I am about the virtual paper.

IMO, the e-reader is the grossly overpriced piece of equipment for what it offers. If Apple released something that ONLY functioned as an e-reader, and priced it at $300-400 (same as Sony), people would still be going on and on about how stupid people are who buy Apple products.
I got a Sony Touch ereader. Was $200. Not $300-$400. The cost of about 4-6 new release novels, and I wont have to be paying for a book again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kezia View Post
I'd rather have a book that costs cheaper, doesn't brake down and has unlimited battery life.
Meh, my ereader was the same price as getting 4-6 new release novels. I charge it once every 2 weeks overnight. It lets me look up definitions of words while I read, save passages I like, make notes in books, saves pages in everything I am reading, and allows me to take multiple books with me on a trip while taking up less room than any traditional novel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AroJay View Post
Im not 12 or retarded. My books are fine with text. If you need that to keep your attention, reading may not be your thing.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 05:16 PM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
I got a Sony Touch ereader. Was $200. Not $300-$400. The cost of about 4-6 new release novels, and I wont have to be paying for a book again.
Where do you get new release novels for free?

I've loaded-up my Nook with a lot of free public-domain classics from Project Gutenberg, but those are all long out of copyright.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 05:21 PM
BlueAndWhite

Without wading into the PRO/ANTI iPad debate, it will be interesting to see how much they sell in the next few months.

That will be a more accurate determination of it's success IMO.

BlueAndWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 05:24 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Apple could outsell Coke if they released a Cola called iCola. Its totally ridiculous.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 05:25 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
Where do you get new release novels for free?

I've loaded-up my Nook with a lot of free public-domain classics from Project Gutenberg, but those are all long out of copyright.
BT, Newgroups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Apple could outsell Coke if they released a Cola called iCola. Its totally ridiculous.
Well, not quite. They cant sell computers.

Old
05-03-2010, 05:27 PM
MayDay

Quote:
BT, Newgroups
Oh. In other words, you're a pirate.

Old
05-03-2010, 05:28 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Oh. In other words, you're a pirate.
ARRR me not be breaking the law in Canada matey

Old
05-03-2010, 05:29 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
BT, Newgroups

Well, not quite. They cant sell computers.
Maybe if they didn't cost as much as a used Chrysler they would.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 05:31 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Maybe if they didn't cost as much as a used Chrysler they would.
t doesnt stop people from getting their other overpriced products. And that isnt a knock on their uality, just that, for what they offer, they dont have anything that isnt overpriced.

Old
05-03-2010, 05:37 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Sure, you bought a cheap one. I was comparing the high end ereader with the low end iPad to show you get infinitely more functionality for about a $100 more and losing the electronic ink.
[/quote]
Quote:
Meh, my ereader was the same price as getting 4-6 new release novels. I charge it once every 2 weeks overnight. It lets me look up definitions of words while I read, save passages I like, make notes in books, saves pages in everything I am reading, and allows me to take multiple books with me on a trip while taking up less room than any traditional novel.
I was going to ask if you could take notes. Would be a good function for an editor to use while reading manuscripts, etc. I imagine iPad will eventually layer onto that with collaboration markup (assuming none of the e-readers do now).

Old
05-03-2010, 05:38 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
at least not yet anyway lol

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 05:41 PM
MayDay

Quote:
Well, you are.

Quote:
In general, the unauthorized copying or distribution of copyrighted material, whether for profit or for personal use, is illegal under Canada's Copyright Act.
There's an exception made for 'Private Copying' of music files. Ebooks are not music files.

So it's not that piracy is legal in Canada. It's just a law that the RCMP has decided not to enforce because they don't have the resources and they don't know how.

Quote:
According to the RCMP it is impossible to track down everyone who uploads music or movies to the Internet. The police simply do not have the time nor the resources to go after filesharers.

“Piracy for personal use is no longer targeted,” Noël St-Hilaire, head of copyright theft investigations of the RCMP, said in an interview with Le Devoir. “It is too easy to copy these days and we do not know how to stop it,” he added.

Old
05-03-2010, 05:43 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Sure, you bought a cheap one. I was comparing the high end ereader with the low end iPad to show you get infinitely more functionality for about a $100 more and losing the electronic ink.
It was the highest end ereader available in Canada when I got it (and the most expensive), this past Christmas. Its hardly a "cheap one". It doesnt have wireless, and isnt backlit (which, again, defeats the purpose of an ereader) but thats about it. At the time (a whopping 5 months ago) it was pretty much the best thing available on the market.

Great thing about ereaders? You dont need them to be super techy. They all pretty much have the same key features (dictionary, notes, etc). I wont ever need to upgrade. There is no reason to. It displays pages just as a book does.

The "cheap ones" are the no name ones you see at "The Source" and the new one FS is now carrying by some company I have never heard of. But again, they all have pretty much the same features, and all you need it to do is look like paper.

Old
05-03-2010, 05:44 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Well, you are.

There's an exception made for 'Private Copying' of music files. Ebooks are not music files.

So it's not that piracy is legal in Canada. It's just a law that the RCMP has decided not to enforce because they don't have the resources and they don't know how.
I assure you I have done far more research into this subject than you have. A few wiki links wont change my mind. I took an entire course on it in University. Saying it is a gray area would be a massive understatement.

My brother actually got a BA in Mass Comm and had a number of courses on it, and now is an RCMP officer.

Sharing is clearly illegal. Downloading is such a mess that no one is even attempting to navigate it. Multiple courts have found downloading copyrighted materical to be legal.

Edit: Oh, and you might want to actually READ what you linked to

Old
05-03-2010, 05:45 PM
Cone

Send a message via AIM to Cone

Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 05:53 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
It was the highest end ereader available in Canada when I got it (and the most expensive), this past Christmas. Its hardly a "cheap one". It doesnt have wireless, and isnt backlit (which, again, defeats the purpose of an ereader) but thats about it. At the time (a whopping 5 months ago) it was pretty much the best thing available on the market.

Great thing about ereaders? You dont need them to be super techy. They all pretty much have the same key features (dictionary, notes, etc). I wont ever need to upgrade. There is no reason to. It displays pages just as a book does.

The "cheap ones" are the no name ones you see at "The Source" and the new one FS is now carrying by some company I have never heard of. But again, they all have pretty much the same features, and all you need it to do is look like paper.
Ahh, I see. It retails for $299 on Sony's site.

Your great thing about e-readers doesn't seem like a great thing to me.

Old
05-03-2010, 05:55 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Ahh, I see. It retails for $299 on Sony's site.

Your great thing about e-readers doesn't seem like a great thing to me.
Yeah, I got it on sale. And yeah, ereaders arent for everyone, but to say that they arent a wise financial investment is completely wrong IMO. Even light readers will easily make back their investment, as, like I say, this isnt a product that will be out of date in a year, or two, or five.

As for the functionality lost vs an Ipad....

My phone does more than an Ipad does. It has the same speed processor and more RAM too!

Old
05-03-2010, 06:03 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Who said anything about buying iPads for children? Has all iPad rhetoric finally resorted to these simplistic black and white arguments?

Yes, because enjoying a bedtime story on an iPad means you can no longer use it for regular books/email/browsing the web/listening to music/skype/watching movies/tv/youtube. Oh, it also means you are a bad parent.
Uh, no, sorry.
I was just using your post as a jumping-off point. Your point is certainly valid.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 06:04 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Yeah, I got it on sale. And yeah, ereaders arent for everyone, but to say that they arent a wise financial investment is completely wrong IMO. Even light readers will easily make back their investment, as, like I say, this isnt a product that will be out of date in a year, or two, or five.

As for the functionality lost vs an Ipad....

My phone does more than an Ipad does. It has the same speed processor and more RAM too!
Well, I'm not sure we can discuss the merits of a financial investment if you aren't paying for your books.

Old
05-03-2010, 06:13 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Well, I'm not sure we can discuss the merits of a financial investment if you aren't paying for your books.
Sure you can. Its a legitimate way to get them.

But sure, lets ignore it. I dont know if they still do, but when I got mine the Sony Ereaders all came with a $50 credit for the ereader store....

New releases range from $5-$10 rather than $20-$50.
Paperbacks go from $0 (weekly specials on Sony store) to $10....most around $3-$5. Most paperbacks at a stor run you between $8 and $16.
MANY classics are available free on every ereader store vs anywhere from $3-$20 in brick and mortars.

Even if you buy the books, you will still wind up saving a huge amount of money pretty quickly. Obviously an ereader isnt a solution for someone who reads a couple of books a year, but they would never have any interest in one anyway. That clearly isnt the target. Even moderate readers are saving after about a year.

Old
05-03-2010, 06:24 PM
Coldplay
Courage

I love the Apple hate on this forum. Keep it going guys.

Personally, I'll be buying myself a second gen 3G iPad. By then, I'll have sold both my iPod touch and netbook.

Flame away how I'm a fanboi who doesn't know what he's doing who buys Apple products cuz he'll be cool and it's oooohhh shiny and nothing else.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 06:27 PM
Cone

Send a message via AIM to Cone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
I love the Apple hate on this forum. Keep it going guys.

Personally, I'll be buying on when the second gen comes out and I'll have sold both my iPod touch and netbook before then.

Flame away how I'm a fanboi who doesn't know what he's doing who buys Apple products cuz he'll be cool and it's oooohhh shiny and nothing else.
well to be honest its like an $800 e-reader that can also play youtube videos.

Cone is offline   Reply With Quote