HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Apple Sells One Million iPads

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-03-2010, 06:29 PM
  #51
SilverSeven
Registered User
 
SilverSeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
I love the Apple hate on this forum. Keep it going guys.

Personally, I'll be buying myself a second gen 3G iPad. By then, I'll have sold both my iPod touch and netbook.

Flame away how I'm a fanboi who doesn't know what he's doing who buys Apple products cuz he'll be cool and it's oooohhh shiny and nothing else.
So then you agree the 1st gen is very underwhelming? No one is saying future ones will be.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 06:30 PM
  #52
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cone View Post
well to be honest its like an $800 e-reader that can also play youtube videos.
That's hardly an apt description for it. And it's not $800 either.

Here's a fairly reasonable post in this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityPants3 View Post
I have to laugh at some of the insults directed to iPad purchasers. So what if you don't like the product, it doesn't work for me, either, but it doesn't mean they are all brand zombies or apple ******.

For example, if you are interested in an e-reader and willing to plop down $400 for a device (ie Sony Reader Daily Edition), what's another $100 for a device that also can do e-books, introduces a beautiful colour display, is able to play movies, view photos, send email, browse the web, run iTunes and any of the thousands of apps available
?
And to the people that are bashing Apple in this thread because the iPad isn't for them: if it's not for you, if you have no use for it, it doesn't mean no one else does, it doesn't mean we're all idiots and Apple worshippers and tech n00bs because we're going to buy one.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 06:33 PM
  #53
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
So then you agree the 1st gen is very underwhelming? No one is saying future ones will be.
I don't think it's very underwhelming, I just think it's lacking hardware wise. Plus I've made it a rule not to buy 1st gen Apple products (ie first gen iPod touch/iPhone were both very lacking compared to new revisions). Add to that it'll be cheaper and there will be nicer hardware. I'm pretty much holding out so all/any kinks can be worked out (by then OS 4.0 will have matured). I'll be using one for college, for just taking around everywhere with me. I'll have my desktop at home and my iPad, nothing else in between.

Some people here just hate anything Apple, so no matter what Apple does with it, it will always suck in their eyes

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 06:37 PM
  #54
SilverSeven
Registered User
 
SilverSeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,042
vCash: 500
Do you plan on taking notes with it? I cant imagine taking notes in Uni with ANY touch screen.....you have to take typing classes just to keep up with some profs.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 06:40 PM
  #55
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
Do you plan on taking notes with it? I cant imagine taking notes in Uni with ANY touch screen.....you have to take typing classes just to keep up with some profs.
I do plan on taking notes with it. There are some really good note-taking apps (and iWork) avaialable right now, and I'm sure more will appear by the time I get one. I tried out the touch keyboard while I was in NY, and it was my biggest gripe when considering whether or not to buy an iPad, as I wanted to use it for web browsing, HF posting, email, etc...I found it surprisingly usable (not as much for portrait though), in fact, I typed up some sentences really fast on it. Andy Ihnatko apparently hit 80wpm on the iPad, which is incredible.

As for note taking, I have an iPad compatible bluetooth keyboard that I use with my desktop, so I'd take that along with my iPad for extensive note taking, but I'd use the touch keyboard for anything else.


Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 08:11 PM
  #56
Kestrel
Registered User
 
Kestrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,853
vCash: 500
I think the iPad could actually interest me at a lower price. I've never been interested in the iPod, or the iPhone, and am definitely not a fan of Macs. I probably won't get an iPad in the future, because I'm too stingy, but I can see the attraction of them.

Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 09:00 PM
  #57
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum
 
parabola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: ಠ_ಠ
Posts: 40,397
vCash: 500
A lower price? How low do you expect them to sell it? $499 is very cheap. Even $829 is pretty cheap for what you get. If the next gen iPad is $499 still i'm down for that.

__________________
parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 09:02 PM
  #58
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
A lower price? How low do you expect them to sell it? $499 is very cheap. Even $829 is pretty cheap for what you get. If the next gen iPad is $499 still i'm down for that.
I agree. I'd gladly fork over $499 for an iPad. I'm hoping Apple consolidates their line into one next revision, meaning no Wifi and Wif+3g, just a 3g capable version preferably stocked at 32GB, 64GB and 128GB.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 09:14 PM
  #59
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum
 
parabola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: ಠ_ಠ
Posts: 40,397
vCash: 500
Don't think that will happen. Not at the current pricing at least.

parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 09:19 PM
  #60
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
Don't think that will happen. Not at the current pricing at least.
I think they can easily bump the 499 version to 32GB.

Also, teardowns show that the 3G component of the iPad doesn't cost significantly more to put in. If anything, Apple is making a nicer profit on the 3G model than the WiFi one. That's why I say a streamlined 3G iPad would make most sense and make it a true mobile device, rather than have it as a separate option.

We'll see though. They might just keep the current way.

Maybe they'll keep the current gen 16GB around for 399 and go with something new starting at 499, like the iPod touch/MacBook line a while back. Parts will cost less in a year, after all, especially flash drives.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 09:28 PM
  #61
Kestrel
Registered User
 
Kestrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,853
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
A lower price? How low do you expect them to sell it? $499 is very cheap. Even $829 is pretty cheap for what you get. If the next gen iPad is $499 still i'm down for that.
I'm not saying the price is out of whack - I'm saying it's not low enough for me to care. Make a little more sense?

Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 10:04 PM
  #62
mlandry
Registered User
 
mlandry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,512
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
A lower price? How low do you expect them to sell it? $499 is very cheap. Even $829 is pretty cheap for what you get. If the next gen iPad is $499 still i'm down for that.

I thought it was like 300-400$. That price is beyond ridiculous. I'm not sure how anyone can justify spending so much money on something that can be considered a gadget at best.

mlandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 10:11 PM
  #63
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlandry View Post

I thought it was like 300-400$. That price is beyond ridiculous. I'm not sure how anyone can justify spending so much money on something that can be considered a gadget at best.
What?

The iPad starts at 499. Dunno what you're getting at.

829 is if you want a boatload more space and 3G.

And it's more than just a gadget, I'd take this any day over my netbook which I paid $500 for.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 10:14 PM
  #64
SilverSeven
Registered User
 
SilverSeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,042
vCash: 500
You paid $500 for a netbook?!

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 10:16 PM
  #65
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
You paid $500 for a netbook?!
Last year...got a Dell Mini 9, with taxes and addons, got me to 500. It's been serviceable though, but it does feel cheap.

Looking at Dell's prices now...I feel cheated.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 10:26 PM
  #66
guinness
those were the days
 
guinness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Clovis, California
Country: United States
Posts: 12,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Last year...got a Dell Mini 9, with taxes and addons, got me to 500. It's been serviceable though, but it does feel cheap.

Looking at Dell's prices now...I feel cheated.
Wow, BB had those as Black Friday deals for like $200 US...I have seen quite a few netbooks at $500. usually some Asus models, with Ion.

i paid $350 for mine back in November 2008, but it was one of the 1st gen Acer models, and netbooks have kind of gone downhill since then IMO, as they all have the same specs it seems, have gotten bigger.

guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 10:28 PM
  #67
Kestrel
Registered User
 
Kestrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,853
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
What?

The iPad starts at 499. Dunno what you're getting at.

829 is if you want a boatload more space and 3G.

And it's more than just a gadget, I'd take this any day over my netbook which I paid $500 for.
I think it sounds reasonable. I'm sure there's a little bit of an Apple premium, but that's expected. It's just not cheap enough for me to get it - in other words, I see the draw, but that draw doesn't apply enough to me to spend the money. Same reason I've never bought a laptop, and why I've never quite pulled the trigger on a netbook. While I COULD use the portability, it's just not a big enough deal when I've got a high powered desktop that does everything I want, that I'm around 95% of the time I want to use a computer.

I'm just not the target audience.

Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 10:49 PM
  #68
les Habs
Registered User
 
les Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Milwaukee
Country: United States
Posts: 9,071
vCash: 500
So stupid question, but I was talking to someone about the iPad today and I want to confirm this. So the iPad has WiFi, but do you have to get a contract with a phone company/internet provider? I mean is WiFi that readily available for free these days?

les Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 10:58 PM
  #69
MayDay
Registered User
 
MayDay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Mount Kisco, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by les Habs View Post
So stupid question, but I was talking to someone about the iPad today and I want to confirm this. So the iPad has WiFi, but do you have to get a contract with a phone company/internet provider? I mean is WiFi that readily available for free these days?
If you want to set up a wireless network in your residence, then yes, you still need to pay an ISP for internet service.

Unless you only intend to use the iPad in libraries and airports and other places that tend to offer free WiFi.

MayDay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 11:02 PM
  #70
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
Wow, BB had those as Black Friday deals for like $200 US...I have seen quite a few netbooks at $500. usually some Asus models, with Ion.

i paid $350 for mine back in November 2008, but it was one of the 1st gen Acer models, and netbooks have kind of gone downhill since then IMO, as they all have the same specs it seems, have gotten bigger.
When I bought it, it was a good deal, when comparing it to other $500 models. Dell is phasing out the Mini 9 though, it still remains popular thanks to its ultimate hackintoshing ability (which is why I bought it). Looking at their newer model, it's got the same specs as mine except for a slightly larger screen and a SATA drive (ugh, on a netbook?). I agree with you, they haven't changed much, only gotten cheaper...most are on Intel Atom, 1GHZ, 1GB RAM, iPad-range SSD or 160-200 SATA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
I think it sounds reasonable. I'm sure there's a little bit of an Apple premium, but that's expected. It's just not cheap enough for me to get it - in other words, I see the draw, but that draw doesn't apply enough to me to spend the money. Same reason I've never bought a laptop, and why I've never quite pulled the trigger on a netbook. While I COULD use the portability, it's just not a big enough deal when I've got a high powered desktop that does everything I want, that I'm around 95% of the time I want to use a computer.

I'm just not the target audience.
No problem. I completely understand. The iPad is not for everyone, but it will/does fill a need for some. When I get mine in about a year, I'll have my Mac at home ("high powered desktop") and my iPad on the go, and nothing else. I don't need the raw power of a MBP or a powerful PC laptop, and for my needs, the iPad is perfect.

Honestly though, the $499 price tag was pretty surprising for everyone. Most thought it would be $600 minimum, but $499 is pretty reasonable for an Apple product. I doubt they're going lower than that unless they offer past-gen in one year for $100 less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by les Habs View Post
So stupid question, but I was talking to someone about the iPad today and I want to confirm this. So the iPad has WiFi, but do you have to get a contract with a phone company/internet provider? I mean is WiFi that readily available for free these days?
There is no contractual requirement for the 3G iPad (or WiFi). 3G iPad is unlocked, works with AT&T contract free (hope so for Rogers, ********), but it uses micro-SIM (seems like iPhone will be using that too next gen judging from the leaked Giz prototype), and not all carriers have adopted that yet. It's unlocked in the US, we'll see how that works out up here, I'm skeptic thanks to Rogers being money-grabbing ********.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 02:59 AM
  #71
Epsilon
#TeamHolland
 
Epsilon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 35,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
Whether you like the iPad or not, I think that the success of the iPad is good for the growth of the tablet sector, and will spur competitors to release more products that try to "one-up" the iPad in various ways.

Sure there were tablet/slate computers before, but they've always been a very small niche. Just like there were (mostly crappy) mp3 players before the iPod, but it was the success of the iPod that really ignited the explosion of the whole mp3 player category.

I like Apple products in general, but I'm not sure I'd get an iPad. Partly because I already have a good laptop, and the iPad doesn't really do anything I can't do on my laptop. And partly because I don't like the fact that software can only be acquired through Apple's app store.

But I may be interested in future tablets running Chrome OS or WebOS.
This is pretty much Apple's PR regurgitated. There were plenty of good MP3 players before the iPod came out, and there have been plenty of good ones afterwards. Apple just managed to make it seem like they had created a new product and everyone else copied it through clever advertising/marketing and making it fashionable for 14-30 year old girls to be wearing white earphones and have pink mp3 players.

I always find it funny watching people work out with bulky iPods on their arms that require a tourniquet-level compression sleeve to hold on, when I can get a marathon's work on music on a tiny mp3 player that I can't even tell I am wearing.

Epsilon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 07:24 AM
  #72
MayDay
Registered User
 
MayDay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Mount Kisco, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
This is pretty much Apple's PR regurgitated. There were plenty of good MP3 players before the iPod came out, and there have been plenty of good ones afterwards. Apple just managed to make it seem like they had created a new product and everyone else copied it through clever advertising/marketing and making it fashionable for 14-30 year old girls to be wearing white earphones and have pink mp3 players.
I didn't say they created a new product. But mp3 players before the iPod (for the most part) were not very good. I had one, it sucked. I'm sure there were some exceptions.

But my point was, regardless of the quality of products, it was a tiny niche market, at least compared to what it became after the iPod.

Likewise with tablet computers. Tablets have been around for many years, but as a category, they have never really gained much traction in the marketplace. That's just a fact, not "regurgitated PR." Tablet sales have always been a miniscule fraction compared to laptop sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
I always find it funny watching people work out with bulky iPods on their arms that require a tourniquet-level compression sleeve to hold on, when I can get a marathon's work on music on a tiny mp3 player that I can't even tell I am wearing.
You know they make tiny iPod models specifically for people who want to use them while running or working out? I don't see how you could regard the Shuffle or Nano as "bulky."

MayDay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 09:40 AM
  #73
theotis77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
Likewise with tablet computers. Tablets have been around for many years, but as a category, they have never really gained much traction in the marketplace. That's just a fact, not "regurgitated PR." Tablet sales have always been a miniscule fraction compared to laptop sales.
I think the biggest hindrance to tablet adoption has been Windows. Windows on a tablet is just terrible, and always feels tacked on as an afterthought. While Windows 7 is better, it's still not that great of a tablet platform IMO. And I think HP's decision to dump Win 7 on the Slate in favor of WebOS proves that fact. HP is a HUGE partner of Microsoft, and their willingness to just cast Windows aside on this, after touting it at CES, and especially after Ballmer was showing it off on stage, shows just how poorly they feel the product was turning out.

theotis77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 10:00 AM
  #74
guinness
those were the days
 
guinness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Clovis, California
Country: United States
Posts: 12,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AroJay View Post
I think the biggest hindrance to tablet adoption has been Windows. Windows on a tablet is just terrible, and always feels tacked on as an afterthought. While Windows 7 is better, it's still not that great of a tablet platform IMO. And I think HP's decision to dump Win 7 on the Slate in favor of WebOS proves that fact. HP is a HUGE partner of Microsoft, and their willingness to just cast Windows aside on this, after touting it at CES, and especially after Ballmer was showing it off on stage, shows just how poorly they feel the product was turning out.
I doubt MS ever designed desktop Windows to run on a tablet, especially with all the menu-driven actions. You basically need to use a stylus (or your finger) like a mouse...it just doesn't make a lot of sense, outside of a few specific applications IMO, or if you had one of the tablet PC laptops, at least with that, you have a KB to fall back on.

I didn't really care out the Slate or Courier, as I'm still not seeing were tablets fit in, other than to check e-mail/browse the web on the go, but I can do that on my phone already, and it's more portable.

And I don't need another gadget to blow money on, which eventually wind up in a drawer somewhere.

guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 10:39 AM
  #75
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Last year...got a Dell Mini 9, with taxes and addons, got me to 500. It's been serviceable though, but it does feel cheap.

Looking at Dell's prices now...I feel cheated.
No offense buddy but you'd have to be retarded even 1+ year ago to pay 500$ for a netbook. Netbooks are only worthwhile if they're priced well, for 500$ I could get a lappy that would blow that netbook out of the water, and not to detract from the fact that netbook's have their niche, but at 500$ it's just retarded.

I would never pay more than 299 for a netbook before tax, if you're going to pay more it just isn't worth it, you may as well either get a real laptop or nothing at all. No offense but you got hosed dude, 500$ for netbook of ANY kind, even after taxes, is a complete rip.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.