HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Best online Multiplayer?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-03-2010, 11:12 AM
  #1
MaLockFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Westford, Mass
Posts: 299
vCash: 500
Best online Multiplayer?

Guys, A buddy just recently got a PS3 and hooking it up to play online. We are looking for a game or two to purchase and were looking for an opinion. Out of the available shooters, what is considered the best one?

MaLockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 01:29 PM
  #2
Thricecube
Registered User
 
Thricecube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Courtenay, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,716
vCash: 500
If you want a mature game, I like SOCOM: Confrontation, but you need patience for that one.

If you want a game you can just keep playing and playing without waiting after you die then go for COD Modern Warfare 2. But beware you get a lot of ADD kids in those games.

Thricecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 03:43 PM
  #3
Zodiac
Registered User
 
Zodiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,894
vCash: 500
call of duty 4: modern warfare is tried and true. kinda old but still good.

killzone 2 is excellent online, imo ...but some people complain about the controls. (most of those people that complain are the ones who are just too used to Call of Duty's control scheme). awesome graphics and its now a greatest hits title that's only $29 ...so its a great buy, imo.

MAG is a fun shooter that really focuses on team play. it allows up to 256 players (128 vs 128), so the matches can get pretty awesome. main downside is that its online only. no single player at all. it also doesn't have the large following of online players that Call of Duty does (but most don't have that kind of following anyway).

call of duty: modern warfare 2 is probably the most popular shooter on the market right now on any platform. i find COD4 the best in the series, but this is still pretty decent. didn't bring much new to the table, tho, and i got kinda bored of it rather quickly.

battlefield: bad company 2 is also really good and focuses on team play which i really like. really nice graphics and it has destructable environments which really help with the realism factor. also has vehicles such as tanks and helicopters that you can use.

battlefield: 1943 is a downloadable title off the playstation store that only costs around $15 at the most. runs on the same engine that Bad Company 2 runs on, so there's also destructable environments in this game as well. you can use vehicles in this game also. the downside is that there's only around 3 maps to play on ...but hey, its only $15.


killzone 2 was my favorite ps3 shooter for a while ...it actually probably still is ...so that's my vote ...but the safest bet is Modern Warfare 2. everyone seems to like that ...well, most seem to. there's no shortage of people playing that game. another safe bet is Bad Company 2. quite a few people playing that one these days, too, since its the newest game of the bunch.


Last edited by Zodiac: 05-03-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 04:01 PM
  #4
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles
 
CarlWinslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,875
vCash: 500
Wait for Red Dead Redemption.

CarlWinslow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 04:05 PM
  #5
MaLockFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Westford, Mass
Posts: 299
vCash: 500
Resistance

I was in some of the resistance 1&2 rooms, seemed pretty fun. Also Bioshock 2 had some fun mutlplayer Any thoughts on these?

MaLockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 05:24 PM
  #6
FruityPants3*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thricecube View Post
If you want a mature game, I like SOCOM: Confrontation, but you need patience for that one.

If you want a game you can just keep playing and playing without waiting after you die then go for COD Modern Warfare 2. But beware you get a lot of ADD kids in those games.
Eh? Just play the Search and Destroy modes if you don't want to respawn.

The only reason SOCOM seems 'mature' is because it's not very popular and no one plays it.

(not hating, huge SOCOM fan on PS2 btw)

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 06:05 PM
  #7
Zodiac
Registered User
 
Zodiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,894
vCash: 500
yeah, i wouldn't bother with SOCOM Confrontation. i bought that game when it was brand new (came with the offical sony headset thankfully for $59. at least the headset was good) and never thought it was all that great. the game was so-so at best.

i tried to give it another chance a few months ago, but i would have been forced to download around 2+gig worth of patches ...so i just said screw that. there's too many other good games out now and i felt it wasn't worth the time involved to get the game up and running again.

sony's update servers always seemed a lot slower to download from versus the stuff in their playstation store. (might take 30mins to download a 1gig demo from the store ...but probably over an hour to download 1gig from their update servers ...its pathetic.)


if you're looking for lots of people to play with ...Modern Warfare 2 and Bad Company 2 are your best choices now. they're the most popular at this point.

killzone 2 still has a lot of active servers if you search 'worldwide' instead of 'my region' ...although 'my region' still has some action ...there's just a lot more options if you go 'worldwide'. its only $29 ...so that helps.

MAG is really good if you give it a chance ...but like i said ...the safest bets are MW2 and BC2 right now.


i'd be concerned about the Resistance games now, since they're kinda old. i haven't checked up on them in a while, but i'd be thinking that most of the players have moved on to some other online game at this point ...but there's probably still a few playing them.

Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 06:37 PM
  #8
The Kult
Registered User
 
The Kult's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Colorado
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 1,342
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thricecube View Post
If you want a mature game, I like SOCOM: Confrontation, but you need patience for that one.

If you want a game you can just keep playing and playing without waiting after you die then go for COD Modern Warfare 2. But beware you get a lot of ADD kids in those games.
I was a huge SOCOM fan back in the day, but when I went to pick this up i was told that its almost impossible to find a server that doesnt kick you out. Is that really a problem?

The Kult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 10:06 PM
  #9
Frankie Spankie
Registered User
 
Frankie Spankie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dorchester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac;25606611[B
battlefield: 1943[/B] is a downloadable title off the playstation store that only costs around $15 at the most. runs on the same engine that Bad Company 2 runs on, so there's also destructable environments in this game as well. you can use vehicles in this game also. the downside is that there's only around 3 maps to play on ...but hey, its only $15.
4 maps if you count the Coral Sea map which is just dog fighting in planes.

I've played most of the big name FPS games for PS3 and BF1943 was actually my favorite, even more than Bad Company 1&2. Not sure if it's just me but BC2 seems a lot different from PC to consoles, I tried it at a friends house the other day and thought the console version was awful.

Killzone 2 and SOCOM: Confrontation would be my two honorable mentions. Killzone 2 is a great FPS for PS3 with awesome graphics. My only wish (not sure if this was made in a patch that was released since I stopped playing) is that you should be able to play the game with no perks. I hated the random sentry guns and little jets and stuff like that. I think the game was perfect with the minimal stuff like healing stuff for medic. If they did release a patch letting you play sort of a vanilla mode without the ranking unlocks, I'd play the game a lot again but now I'm too lazy to check.

SOCOM: Confrontation doesn't seem to get enough credit. I think the gameplay is great. My favorite thing about it is the fact that they don't have auto-aim, at least not one that I noticed. It makes the game much more balanced and you have to be good and able to aim instead of basically being the first to draw like most FPS games today. You definitely have to be patient about it though.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 03:58 AM
  #10
hao chi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,014
vCash: 500
Uncharted 2 is still my favorite online shooter this gen. Admittedly a lot of the people that still play are fairly dedicated and there aren't many new players. So while I feel the multiplayer is accessible to new players, don't expect to do well right way.

Still though, you should be able to pick up the basics pretty fast and you can go in Cinema mode and watch what other players do to pick up tips.


Last edited by hao chi: 05-04-2010 at 04:13 AM.
hao chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 02:17 PM
  #11
FruityPants3*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hao chi View Post
Uncharted 2 is still my favorite online shooter this gen. Admittedly a lot of the people that still play are fairly dedicated and there aren't many new players. So while I feel the multiplayer is accessible to new players, don't expect to do well right way.

Still though, you should be able to pick up the basics pretty fast and you can go in Cinema mode and watch what other players do to pick up tips.
I think I saw an expansion pack for Uncharted 2. Do you have it and how is it? The game is amazing and the multiplayer is great, but somehow I just can't find time to play it.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 02:29 PM
  #12
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User
 
Doctor Drej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Quiet Room
Country: United States
Posts: 10,921
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlWinslow View Post
Wait for Red Dead Redemption.
I've been seeing this everywhere, what's the big hype for?

Doctor Drej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 02:42 PM
  #13
awesomo
HARD!
 
awesomo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: location, location
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Phillips View Post
I've been seeing this everywhere, what's the big hype for?
You must look up this game. Go to the website. It looks AMAZING, or just check out the thread lol

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 04:07 PM
  #14
Frankie Spankie
Registered User
 
Frankie Spankie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dorchester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,366
vCash: 500
Red Dead Redemption does look great but I highly doubt it will be known for its multiplayer, which is what this thread is about...

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 02:57 AM
  #15
hao chi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityPants3 View Post
I think I saw an expansion pack for Uncharted 2. Do you have it and how is it? The game is amazing and the multiplayer is great, but somehow I just can't find time to play it.
I love the Drake's Fortune map pack. Both maps are great, and I particularly like the Facility map.

The Siege DLC, well... Siege mode is fun though I don't play co-op very much. I'm not really a big fan of either of the new maps, at least not yet. I'm hoping they'll grow on me soon or I'm going to seriously consider deleting them from my hard drive.

I should mention I don't think either of the Siege maps are bad, they're just pretty big and it can be hard to find enemies. Though it's very possible I just need to get used to the maps and learn which areas are frequented the most.

hao chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 11:30 AM
  #16
UFancyHuh
Registered User
 
UFancyHuh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Lost
Posts: 10,869
vCash: 500
COD: MW2 or BC2

UFancyHuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 05:26 PM
  #17
Zodiac
Registered User
 
Zodiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
killzone 2 still has a lot of active servers if you search 'worldwide' instead of 'my region' ...although 'my region' still has some action ...there's just a lot more options if you go 'worldwide'. its only $29 ...so that helps.

played Killzone2 last night and there was a ton of active servers. didn't matter if i chose 'my region' or 'worldwide' ...lots of people still playing that game from the looks of things.

still the best shooter on any platform, imo, too ...pc or otherwise. awesome fun and awesome graphics.

Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 05:33 PM
  #18
Zodiac
Registered User
 
Zodiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krejci46 View Post
Killzone 2 and SOCOM: Confrontation would be my two honorable mentions. Killzone 2 is a great FPS for PS3 with awesome graphics. My only wish (not sure if this was made in a patch that was released since I stopped playing) is that you should be able to play the game with no perks. I hated the random sentry guns and little jets and stuff like that. I think the game was perfect with the minimal stuff like healing stuff for medic. If they did release a patch letting you play sort of a vanilla mode without the ranking unlocks, I'd play the game a lot again but now I'm too lazy to check.

SOCOM: Confrontation doesn't seem to get enough credit. I think the gameplay is great. My favorite thing about it is the fact that they don't have auto-aim, at least not one that I noticed. It makes the game much more balanced and you have to be good and able to aim instead of basically being the first to draw like most FPS games today. You definitely have to be patient about it though.

i think you can disable the air bots ...but i don't think you can disable the ground bots. not 100% sure, tho. you can really customize the game to your liking, tho. the only thing that often will get disabled is the rocket launcher from the assault class. people tend to get pissed about that, so you see some games with that disabled. they can get annoying at times, but i don't mind it as much as others. i can live with it.

myself, i love the bots. they're great for helping to defend during Assassination ...or when you have to set the C4 charges on that thing that you try to blow up, etc. i remember reading that the last patch made them a little less powerful, so you may find them more tolerable now. they still work quite well, tho.


SOCOM Confrontation was $14 last week on the playstation store. i think its part of a spring sale. Warhawk was also $14. I haven't checked to see if they're both still on sale, but that's not a bad price for either game i guess.

Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.