HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We need an experienced backup

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2004, 07:48 AM
BringGilmourBack

vCash: 500
We need an experienced backup

With the obvious releasing of Kidd, I believe the Leafs should sign one of capable backups that are available in this years free agent market. Sorry to say guys, Tellqist isn't ready and probably never will (just my opinion). He can't seem to grasp playing on the smaller NHL ice surface. Don't get me wrong, he's an awesome goaltender, just internationally. (with the huge ice surface) He has more time to react, playing on the bigger ice surface. I propose we sign one of these three goaltenders. (this is based on the fact that Eddie Belfour resigns, if not than we obviously go after Khabibulin)
1. J.Hedberg
2. S.Sheilds
3. F.Potvin
They're not in any particular order. But I believe they are all capable backups for Eddie. Unless we can swing a deal for someone better, thats not a bad bunch of guys to have on your team.
Anyways that's just my two cents. Feel free to express your opinion. I look forward to reading them.

Old
05-11-2004, 08:37 AM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder19
With the obvious releasing of Kidd, I believe the Leafs should sign one of capable backups that are available in this years free agent market. Sorry to say guys, Tellqist isn't ready and probably never will (just my opinion). He can't seem to grasp playing on the smaller NHL ice surface. Don't get me wrong, he's an awesome goaltender, just internationally. (with the huge ice surface) He has more time to react, playing on the bigger ice surface. I propose we sign one of these three goaltenders. (this is based on the fact that Eddie Belfour resigns, if not than we obviously go after Khabibulin)
1. J.Hedberg
2. S.Sheilds
3. F.Potvin
They're not in any particular order. But I believe they are all capable backups for Eddie. Unless we can swing a deal for someone better, thats not a bad bunch of guys to have on your team.
Anyways that's just my two cents. Feel free to express your opinion. I look forward to reading them.
Hedberg- Had an average season, but he's a guy who likes to challenge to be the #1 guy and we all know that doesn't sit too well with Eddie.

Sheilds- He had an atrocious year with Florida. And he wasn't so hot last year with Boston either. We'd almost be better off keeping Kidd.

Potvin- Still one of my favourite players. But I don't know if I want to see him back with Toronto as a backup. Just wouldn't seem right to me.

I wouldn't mind seeing Tellqvist as a full time backup behind Eddie. How else will we know if he can do the job? He's a better NHL goaltender than an AHL goalie. It's hard to get a good read on his play in St. John's because they've had such a young, inexperienced defence corps.

People keep saying that he hasn't adjusted to the North American ice surface, but I don't buy that. I mean he's a goalie for goodness sake. It shouldn't take a goalie 3 years to adjust to something like that. If anything affected him, it's the different style of North American game- more shooting less passing. But I think he's passed that now.

If the Leafs are to acquire a new goalie, I think it should be through trade- not free agency. A guy who could be the backup, but potentially a starter down the road. The obvious one is Gerber in Anaheim. Buffalo has three good young goalies, but I can't imagine them dealing one to Toronto.

But maybe the best choice would be Vesa Toskala in San Jose. He's 27 and played 40 games at the NHL level. His career GAA is 2.13 and Save % is .929. Plus the last backup goalie San Jose traded was Mikka Kiprusoff. Maybe lightning could strike twice.

Last edited by Leaf Army: 05-11-2004 at 08:52 AM.
Old
05-11-2004, 09:58 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

tellqvist is good
and centomo had a good season too

it's time to play some younger guys dammit

Old
05-11-2004, 10:13 AM
LucaBrasi

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
tellqvist is good
and centomo had a good season too

it's time to play some younger guys dammit
amen

Old
05-11-2004, 12:29 PM
SpItFiReZ

Not according to Frankie....He said Centomo was horrible this year after I posted in the Todd Ford Thread that I heard from friends Centomo was getting better.

Old
05-11-2004, 01:21 PM
Frankie

i keep reading that centomo had a good year, but if he did, i missed it.

have a look at the numbers, people. they're bad. he single handedly cost the baby leafs a playoff spot. everyone talks about how the baby leafs defence was bad, and it was, but goaltending was the biggest problem. centomo routinely let in 5, 6, 7 goals a game.

Old
05-11-2004, 01:22 PM
loveshack2

Tellqvist should be the backup. He's proven himself in the Swedish league, in international competition, and at the AHL level. He's earned a shot at the NHL.

If he fails then you can always pickup an experienced backup at the trade deadline for peanuts.

Old
05-11-2004, 01:28 PM
BringGilmourBack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
Hedberg- Had an average season, but he's a guy who likes to challenge to be the #1 guy and we all know that doesn't sit too well with Eddie.

Sheilds- He had an atrocious year with Florida. And he wasn't so hot last year with Boston either. We'd almost be better off keeping Kidd.

Potvin- Still one of my favourite players. But I don't know if I want to see him back with Toronto as a backup. Just wouldn't seem right to me.

I wouldn't mind seeing Tellqvist as a full time backup behind Eddie. How else will we know if he can do the job? He's a better NHL goaltender than an AHL goalie. It's hard to get a good read on his play in St. John's because they've had such a young, inexperienced defence corps.

People keep saying that he hasn't adjusted to the North American ice surface, but I don't buy that. I mean he's a goalie for goodness sake. It shouldn't take a goalie 3 years to adjust to something like that. If anything affected him, it's the different style of North American game- more shooting less passing. But I think he's passed that now.

If the Leafs are to acquire a new goalie, I think it should be through trade- not free agency. A guy who could be the backup, but potentially a starter down the road. The obvious one is Gerber in Anaheim. Buffalo has three good young goalies, but I can't imagine them dealing one to Toronto.

But maybe the best choice would be Vesa Toskala in San Jose. He's 27 and played 40 games at the NHL level. His career GAA is 2.13 and Save % is .929. Plus the last backup goalie San Jose traded was Mikka Kiprusoff. Maybe lightning could strike twice.

Good Post

Old
05-11-2004, 01:56 PM
joepeps

Frankie

Quote:
Good Post
Frankie... Love the Totti Avatar...

Forzza Azzuri in Euro 2004

Old
05-11-2004, 02:47 PM
musdy

nah i would rather have tellqvist than those three

Old
05-11-2004, 03:14 PM
Joe Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrehedinrocks
nah i would rather have tellqvist than those three
What I want is for the Leafs to go out and get a good goalie prospect that could has the posibility of being a Belfour\CuJo type guy. I don't care if they draft him or trade for him, but I'm hesitant in having Telq as the future when Belfour retires.

SeaBass isn't as good as he was that year he was called up... he's a good minor league goalie, i.e. Minard.

Old
05-11-2004, 03:35 PM
Schenn02

Yeah we need experience but you know what, give Telly some experience, MORE experience! I can see Telly as our future one day, sure, he is a good goalie and not the best, but hes around 24! He needs time to develop.

Old
05-11-2004, 04:19 PM
monkey_00*

Quote:
1. J.Hedberg
2. S.Sheilds
3. F.Potvin
Vedder19...........

Not trying to be smart with you or nothing here but none of those 3 guys on your list are the answer for Toronto's backup netminder needs.........ESPECIALLY Kitty Litter (Felix 'the Cat' Potvin) who left Toronto in bad terms when Pat Quinn sqeezed him out of town to make way for Cu-chokes............Try someone else like Martin Gerber or even Manny LeGace.

Cheers!~

monkey_00

Old
05-11-2004, 05:26 PM
MatsSundin13

Send a message via MSN to MatsSundin13 Send a message via Yahoo to MatsSundin13
All i wanna say is 3 words: FELIX THE CAT!

Old
05-11-2004, 07:37 PM
Mike1

I don't know about any of those guys. I think I would rather see what Tellqvist can do if it was a choice between Tellqvist & those guys.

Old
05-11-2004, 07:55 PM
MatsSundin13

Send a message via MSN to MatsSundin13 Send a message via Yahoo to MatsSundin13
Im offically supporting my Felix av with the title "JFJ take a hint?"

Old
05-11-2004, 08:35 PM
MLSE

I would love to see Telly play next year, but if we had to....

Manny Legace
Martin Gerber
Corey Schwab
Arthurs Irbe
Garth Snow

Old
05-11-2004, 11:41 PM
richardn

I would sign either Felix Potvin or Martin Gerber. Both of these guys could allow the Leafs to rest Eddy early in the season so he will have less chance of injruy and have a full tank of gas for the playoffs.

Old
05-12-2004, 07:30 AM
BringGilmourBack

Oh i totally agree with you. A M. Gerber or a M Legace would be great. But if we wanted someone who wouldn't cost any players, i thought, that out of the free agent bunch, either one of them could do an admirable job.

Old
05-12-2004, 08:00 AM
berney fkaj

Let Telly be the starter (play 50-60 games) in the AHL next year. Pick up a good back up ( Gerber, Legace) who will back up Eddie next year, but who could possibly be the starter when he retires.

Old
05-12-2004, 08:21 AM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

I think the Leafs need to settle Belfour's situation before they decide if Tellqvist can be the backup or not.

Old
05-12-2004, 08:44 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

schwab has been great

Old
05-12-2004, 08:59 AM
Christ

Martun Gerber would be my choice as back-up for Befour followed by Sheilds and Schwab if he would be willing to come back.

Old
05-12-2004, 10:41 AM
abdraftsman

Has Anyone Thought of This?

Hey guys, how are ya? I just registered in HF and figured this was a good spot for my first ever post.

I've been reading this board for quite a while now and have been pretty well entertained by you guys. Theres seems to be a really good group of knowledgeable fans on here.

I've been a Leafs fan for years now but i'll be the first to admit i'm not as educated as some of you seem to be.

Now, back to the topic. Goaltending.

This has been a big issue over the last couple of weeks and understandably so. I've had some thoughts and figured i'd throw em up here to see what you guys thought.

First: Telly. why not give him the back up position this coming season and play him in enough games that we can really evaluate him. With a looming cap save the money on signing a goalie and spend it elsewhere. I'm not 100% sure he'll ever be a starter but atleast if he's given some time we won't have to ask ourselves. We'll have alot better idea if he's starter material, career back up material or if he should return to AHL.

Second: A name i'm pretty surprised hasn't been mentioned here is Kolzig. He really put on a show in the last end of the season. Too bad he sucked wind in the first. Now this is also relavent to the team he is on. What do you guys think of bringing him in to start if Eddie retires? Do any of you know the salary situation? I'm sure he's pricey but it should be less the Eddie's contract i'd think.

Maybe it's even an option to let Eddie and his questionable back go this year. Don't get me wrong i'm a big Belfour fan, and a healthy Belfour is better than Kolzig. But what happens 'when' Eddie's back acts up again, because it's bound to.

Now this is all assuming that we could trade to get him. I think it'd be cool to work some kind of a deal to bring in Witt and Kolzig. I haven't a clue what it'd take to get this done but maybe you guys have some thoughts on that.

Old
05-12-2004, 11:08 AM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
Originally Posted by tml4life
I would love to see Telly play next year, but if we had to....

Manny Legace
Martin Gerber
Corey Schwab
Arthurs Irbe
Garth Snow

I can't believe you have Irbe and Snow on that list and Not Felix Potvin.
Ok I am all for giving Telly the shot to play as a backup next season but I am also thinking if Toronto is going to go out sign most of these older guys and maybe pick up 1 or 2 more via free agency to go for a cup run then I would have to agree on going out and bringing in someone to backup Belfour who can carry the serious workload of playing in the NHL at a top level. I just did not feel Telly played well enough last season in his stint with the club to merit the automatic backup job if the leafs are serious about making another run for the cup..

Closed Thread