HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Why are the Wings getting schooled in the face-off circle?

Old
05-04-2010, 07:35 AM
Heaton
||||||||||||||||||||

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by the banks View Post
no, detroit was being lackadaisical getting to the dot. the ref has a mental clock in his head and if detroit isnt at the dot 3 or 5 (forget which one) seconds after he blows the whistle they kick them out
that and the wingers can get a center tossed out of the dot if they're not in position correctly.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 01:18 PM
tmf2204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
What was it that Poile was griping about at the start of the Preds-Wings series in 2008? That was another one...
He also made a stink about the octopus twirl - Burke got the ball rolling in '07 and the ban was made official in round 1 of '08 against Nashville.

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2008...egal_puni.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr View Post
SJ was also the best team on faceoffs in the regular season. it should be expected that they win more.
Not to this extent. 43 of 69 in game 2? Pavelski 13 of 16? Zetterberg didn't win a single draw in the first period. Didn't win a single draw in the def zone the entire game. That's practically unheard of. It's the biggest reason why Z is having the series he's having so far, and why Pavelski's having the series he's having. Pavelski's only loss in the off zone was to Brad Stuart of all people, during the 5-on-3. Both Z and Dats went 0fer during that crucial time. It's not simply because the Wings are facing the best FO team in the league; it was a problem against Phoenix, it was a problem in the last game against Chicago, it was a problem for weeks before that. They were able to withstand a lower than what we're used to seeing percentage up to this point, but if the trend continues Sharks will win this series easily, with or without the refs in their pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osgoodshlatters View Post
as for the wings getting tossed out all the time. keep an eye on thornton. he gets tossed out of the circle more than any player i have ever seen. it really is laughable.
No it isn't, not when you read his own words:

Quote:
"I'm just aggressive taking faceoffs. I'm usually playing with Patty, and he's just as good as me taking faceoffs anyway, so I think it doesn't really hurt our line if I get kicked out.

"It's all about timing, and I just want to get a big whack right away, just to try to get his stick out of the way. And sometimes I whack too early. That's just the way it goes. The linesmen are pretty fair — 98 percent of the time you agree with them and 2 percent you don't."
http://www.insidebayarea.com/sports/ci_14972690

tmf2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 02:11 PM
nik jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmf2204 View Post
Not to this extent. 43 of 69 in game 2? Pavelski 13 of 16? Zetterberg didn't win a single draw in the first period. Didn't win a single draw in the def zone the entire game. That's practically unheard of. It's the biggest reason why Z is having the series he's having so far, and why Pavelski's having the series he's having. Pavelski's only loss in the off zone was to Brad Stuart of all people, during the 5-on-3. Both Z and Dats went 0fer during that crucial time. It's not simply because the Wings are facing the best FO team in the league; it was a problem against Phoenix, it was a problem in the last game against Chicago, it was a problem for weeks before that. They were able to withstand a lower than what we're used to seeing percentage up to this point, but if the trend continues Sharks will win this series easily, with or without the refs in their pocket.
some of it is randomness. DRW were 38-32 in game 1.

pavelski was 7-11 in game 1. 20-14 total, which is 59%.

datsyuk was 14-6 in game 3 vs phoenix. hanzal was 14-5 in game 7.

game 2 of boston vs philadelphia: bergeron was 16-6. mike richards was 5-16.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 03:12 PM
Sadekuuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Yes, THAT Burkie (Ducks). Wings lost that series in the Conference final. Lady Byng winner Datsyuk was called for phantom hook with about a minute to go, and the Wings up by one goal. Datsyuk is a very composed player. He rarely screws up, but yeah, he decided to hook someone with a minute left in a Conference Final game.
Worse, it was interference, the very same penalty they pointedly did not call all series as the Ducks grabbed and tackled guys behind the play from the opening faceoff of Game 1. But when Datsyuk brushes his check (bumped would be too strong a term) in that situation, well, that vicious foul had to be punished.

Sadekuuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 03:22 PM
tmf2204

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr View Post
some of it is randomness. DRW were 38-32 in game 1.
Because of Cleary (2-2, 100%), Abdelkader (4-5, 80%) and Filppula (5-7, 71%). And Helm, who was good in the def zone (4-6, 67%, 50% overall). Z and Dats were decent but not good enough, especially on the PP which went 0-5 in part because the Sharks kept clearing the zone and Wings had such difficulty setting up.

It's been a very noticeable decline for Z; entering the second round he had the worst percentage of any forward, as per Duhatschek. Dats has been more hit or miss, depending on who he's up against, but on special teams (again, on the PP) he hasn't been great.

tmf2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 06:34 PM
osgoodshlatters

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmf2204 View Post
He also made a stink about the octopus twirl - Burke got the ball rolling in '07 and the ban was made official in round 1 of '08 against Nashville.

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2008...egal_puni.html

No it isn't, not when you read his own words:

http://www.insidebayarea.com/sports/ci_14972690
no by laugable i mean i laugh every time i see it

osgoodshlatters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 12:28 PM
ZharkFan

The refs have been acting odd at the dot for no reason many times this series. It really bugs me.

Sharks are #1 in faceoffs in reg so that is why you aren't doing as well but it seems to go with the way the period is going. I don't know which came first the chicken or the egg but it seems that the periods that Detroit has dominated they win faceoffs at 55-60% and when the Sharks are playing well they win at a 70% (casual observation). It doesn't help that Joe Playoffski skewed the series stat in one game.

ZharkFan is offline   Reply With Quote