HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Gregson defends his boys

Old
05-03-2010, 11:19 PM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

vCash: 450
Gregson defends his boys

Quote:
Detroit -- As far as Terry Gregson is concerned, the referees for Sunday's Game 2 between the Red Wings and Sharks did a good job.

Gregson, the NHL's senior vice-president and director of officiating, said Monday he backed referees Kevin Pollock and Brad Watson, who have been the subject of ridicule from media and fans of both teams for questionable calls.

"They set a tight standard early on and they kept to that standard the rest of the game," said Gregson, who arrived in Chicago on Monday afternoon for the Blackhawks-Canucks game.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20100503/...#ixzz0mvmyNNyh

Motown Beatdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 11:27 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

vCash: 500
This is why the NHL is still a second-rate league.

Ricelund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 11:27 PM
chances14

not a real surprise

this is why nhl refs are the worst of all the professional sports. no accountability whatsoever

chances14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 11:34 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Terry Gregson was one of my least favorite refs back in the day. I hated that guy.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 11:40 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Here's what Gary had to say about it... I'll bold the part where he's backtracking or digging deeper, not sure which:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/blog/_/name/n...ed-differently
Quote:
3. The officials: Bettman was also asked about the officiating in the playoffs -- a sensitive topic judging from ESPN.com message boards -- and whether the games are being called differently in the postseason.
"It's not the case," Bettman said. "They haven't been given a different set of instructions. The game is played a little differently, and the officials have to react to that. And there are adjustments that go on in the course of a series that you don't see over the course of the regular season, two teams will play and play different teams the next night.
"The games now are probably a little more intense. ... But no, they're told to call it just the way they did [in the regular season]. I also think the scrutiny tends to be even a little greater and the passion involved in every call is probably greater because every call is important. Our goal is to have the officials get it right and overwhelmingly they do. Are they perfect? This is a game of mistakes. Coaches make mistakes, players make mistakes and, occasionally, even an official might."
Then why the memos explaining what the standard is supposed to be? Why wouldn't they adjust that say in January, so the refs have time to practice to see if they can get it right?

This is just too much fodder to give HiHD. He could turn this in a summer-long affair.

Old
05-04-2010, 12:10 AM
Franzenstein

Send a message via AIM to Franzenstein
So basically, if there's a ****** call in the first few minutes of the game, they'll continue to call the game that way? I'm not even asking for make-up calls. I just want this series to be as fair as possible. Playoff hockey used to be my favorite part of the year, and recently it's just been pissing me off.

Franzenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 12:15 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Wait...Gregson...Terry Gregson is talking about officials having standards...wow, the irony.

05-04-2010, 01:15 AM
nik jr

there was not a tight standard. it was closer to a random standard.

some SJ fans have posted gif's of some missed calls (only those against their team). and there were other missed calls.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 04:27 AM
norrisnick

I'm loving the fact that McGeough is overseeing our series.

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 06:08 AM
TheMoreYouKnow

The NHL always does this, to them criticism is mostly a P.R. assault so the reaction typically includes all the classic P.R. tactics..of the Politburo.

I wouldn't expect any dramatic changes in the officiating in the next few games either because that would be an implicit admission things were done poorly in previous games. If changes do eventually come about it would be done quietly and very subtly and at a time and place where nobody could connect it to the individuals involved in Sunday's mess so nobody's "reputation" is hurt.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 07:05 AM
CC Chiefs*

Everyone needs to understand the NHL is not going to come out and say "they sucked the other night"! Now I'd bet the closed door meeting after the game may not have been so nice? And their post game evaluations probably weren't to favorable! IMO the big problem here is the standards that these guys are held to. If Pollack and Watson are the better referees in the NHL it's time to retool, because those two guys are horrible and not just the other day but all year long!

CC Chiefs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 07:20 AM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Here's what Gary had to say about it... I'll bold the part where he's backtracking or digging deeper, not sure which:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/blog/_/name/n...ed-differently

Then why the memos explaining what the standard is supposed to be? Why wouldn't they adjust that say in January, so the refs have time to practice to see if they can get it right?

This is just too much fodder to give HiHD. He could turn this in a summer-long affair.
To hell with January, start in October. Keep the calls the same all year long.

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 07:26 AM
Harold Snepsts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustWingIt19 View Post
he must mean a high standard as in "they had to be on drugs to make some of those calls."

Harold Snepsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 10:04 AM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
What an absolutely joke of an article.

Were some of the penalties justified by our ****-tastic ways? Of course.

Did we deserve 3 or 4 of those calls? no.. they were brutal and when the same **** happens to SJ, no calls.

You watch, the NHL wants this series to go on to atleast 5 or 6 so they can BANK on more cash. Refs will be on our side briefly tonight to see if it could happen.

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 10:29 AM
Fugu

vCash:
Here's my problem with Bettman's answer. "The game is played a little differently, and the officials have to react to that. And there are adjustments that go on in the course of a series that you don't see over the course of the regular season, two teams will play and play different teams the next night."

What does that mean? What exactly changes during the playoffs that the officials now must call it differently (unless they swallow the whistles)?

I do know one thing that is different too. You can get away w/nasty hits w/o worrying about a suspension.

Old
05-04-2010, 10:37 AM
HockeyinHD

Looking for converts.

Anyone who previously poo-poo'd my position on NHL refereeing starting to be swayed yet, or do you doubters need to see a little more?

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 10:43 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Why doesn't the NHL go ahead and be finished with it & go back to the 1 referee system

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 10:50 AM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conando View Post
Why doesn't the NHL go ahead and be finished with it & go back to the 1 referee system

Do you believe that would fix the fluctuating standards though? My beef has always been that GM's get told how the league plans to run things. They make personnel decisions on that basis, and then the players have a couple of months to work it out, assuming the standard really is consistent. I do think that admitting that officials have to adjust or call it differently just because it's the playoffs----- seriously?

Old
05-04-2010, 10:55 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Do you believe that would fix the fluctuating standards though? My beef has always been that GM's get told how the league plans to run things. They make personnel decisions on that basis, and then the players have a couple of months to work it out, assuming the standard really is consistent. I do think that admitting that officials have to adjust or call it differently just because it's the playoffs----- seriously?
I'd rather have 3 blind mice instead of 4

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 01:27 PM
chances14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyinHD View Post
Looking for converts.

Anyone who previously poo-poo'd my position on NHL refereeing starting to be swayed yet, or do you doubters need to see a little more?
the only one who is naive about nhl refs is captain bob, other than that i think everyone else on here already knows the real side of nhl officiating

chances14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Eaglepride*
#5 in Wotan we trust

No wonder at all, Bettman and his new greedy NHL is ****. Wish we could end his regime by getting Shannahan as a new commisioner.

The NHL wants close series and the refs have to follow. Next 2 games the officiating will helping us out, so the series is tied -> more money for the NHL...

I hate that the better team should win, nothing else.

Eaglepride* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 02:25 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
I'm loving the fact that McGeough is overseeing our series.

Ooooh, McGeough, you've done it again!!

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 02:35 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglepride View Post
No wonder at all, Bettman and his new greedy NHL is ****. Wish we could end his regime by getting Shannahan as a new commisioner.

The NHL wants close series and the refs have to follow. Next 2 games the officiating will helping us out, so the series is tied -> more money for the NHL...

I hate that the better team should win, nothing else.
So, if you believe that, why watch?

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 05:30 PM
Eaglepride*
#5 in Wotan we trust

Because I'm a DRW fan?

Eaglepride* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 12:05 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Strange fact I've come across tonight:

The penalties called per game in these playoffs is roughly equal to the number of penalties called per game in last year's playoff (5.3).

However, the number of powerplays per game has increased (from 3.9 to 4.3).

The numbers need to be broken down some more but it looks as if the refs called more off-setting penalties last year, while putting the special teams on the ice more this season.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote