HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Sergei Gonchar: HHOF?

Old
05-13-2010, 02:05 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

vCash: 500
They could put in a Sergei Gonchar exhibit at the HHOF, but I think most people would just walk around it.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 02:06 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeynomad View Post
not after game 7 against the Habs he just watched habs player skate past him and score...
It reminded me of how he "played defense" for most of his time in Washington.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 04:46 PM
Hockeynomad

I am advised he wants to play for Russia in World championships.

Sorry Sergei, the rosters are set.

Hockeynomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 05:21 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

That was the most appalling display of apathy that I have ever seen displayed in the playoffs, in my ENTIRE life. I stared at the screen for at least 30 seconds in complete shock that any player, let alone a guy who has seemingly turned into a leader and playoff performer, would make such little effort to play defense during a Game 7 that was still in reach.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 08:20 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeynomad View Post
not after game 7 against the Habs he just watched habs player skate past him and score...
Crazy as it may seem, in the Youtube era that single play might have killed any chance he had at the HHOF. Individual plays have much greater staying power than they used to, and that one's going to come up in "worst play ever" discussions.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 10:15 AM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Glory View Post
That was the most appalling display of apathy that I have ever seen displayed in the playoffs, in my ENTIRE life. I stared at the screen for at least 30 seconds in complete shock that any player, let alone a guy who has seemingly turned into a leader and playoff performer, would make such little effort to play defense during a Game 7 that was still in reach.
Watch Coffey in the AVS series in '96...

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 10:25 AM
SPG

Don't really buy the "Gonchar's career is comparable to Murphy's" argument. Murphy finished his career with over 1200 points. Gonchar hasn't hit the 700 mark yet and is already 36.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 01:09 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
Don't really buy the "Gonchar's career is comparable to Murphy's" argument. Murphy finished his career with over 1200 points. Gonchar hasn't hit the 700 mark yet and is already 36.
Well, Gonchar isn't at Murphy's level, I agree, but using career point totals is a brutal way to compare players.

seventieslord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 02:43 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
Watch Coffey in the AVS series in '96...
No Gonchar's was worse. If you are thinking what I am thinking it's the play where Coffey put the puck into his own net. He did have two goals that game though.

It reminded me to a tee of Guy Lafleur in the 1981 Canada Cup game vs. the Russians. Was it Krutov who just walked around him? Anyways, that's a bad analogy, he didn't even have to walk around Lafleur he just got out of the way from him when the Russian was about to shoot the puck. Instead of shooting it he faked it and thanks to Lafleur had a laneway towards the net where he scored. Anyways, Gonchar's play reminded me of that when it happened.

Honestly the problem with that game the other night is that while I am not going to judge the Pens potential dynasty yet, but if they fail to win anymore Cups it'll be that game and even that play that'll be looked at as ruining a dynasty. Not that Malkin, Crosby and Fleury weren't uncharacteristically horrendous but that game might have cost the Pens their dynasty. And worse off for the neutral observer it might have robbed us of a classic Cup final.

Anyways, Gonchar still has some work to do to get into the HHOF. If he can get back to the level he was at in the 2009 playoffs then we'll discuss it further.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 03:35 PM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
No Gonchar's was worse. If you are thinking what I am thinking it's the play where Coffey put the puck into his own net. He did have two goals that game though.

It reminded me to a tee of Guy Lafleur in the 1981 Canada Cup game vs. the Russians. Was it Krutov who just walked around him? Anyways, that's a bad analogy, he didn't even have to walk around Lafleur he just got out of the way from him when the Russian was about to shoot the puck. Instead of shooting it he faked it and thanks to Lafleur had a laneway towards the net where he scored. Anyways, Gonchar's play reminded me of that when it happened.

Honestly the problem with that game the other night is that while I am not going to judge the Pens potential dynasty yet, but if they fail to win anymore Cups it'll be that game and even that play that'll be looked at as ruining a dynasty. Not that Malkin, Crosby and Fleury weren't uncharacteristically horrendous but that game might have cost the Pens their dynasty. And worse off for the neutral observer it might have robbed us of a classic Cup final.

Anyways, Gonchar still has some work to do to get into the HHOF. If he can get back to the level he was at in the 2009 playoffs then we'll discuss it further.
Yes I was thinking of that and when he gave away the puck to Sakic(?) which ended up in the net. He was just awful in that series.

However I wouldnt take away all the things Gonchar has done for the Pens because of that play. Fleury shouldve had that first goal. Kunitz had two really really bad turnovers. The whole Pens team looked quite apathetic that game. What was Orpik doing roughing up Laperriere during the second goal for example? Everything was just a bad game for Pens. Crosby was a no show

Old
05-14-2010, 03:38 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
Yes I was thinking of that and when he gave away the puck to Sakic(?) which ended up in the net. He was just awful in that series.
For some reason I remember Mike Keane being in on the goal. It was shorthanded. Maybe Sakic too.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 03:45 PM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
For some reason I remember Mike Keane being in on the goal. It was shorthanded. Maybe Sakic too.
Couldve been Keane. My memory is a bit vague but I do remember Coffey giving it away and I remember furiously screaming at him.