HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Am curious what you think of this idea!?!

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2004, 12:17 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Am curious what you think of this idea!?!

Hey there folks,

I dunno what the press-atmosphere is like out there in St. Louie, but it seems as though the Blues are having troubles due to the heavy contracts that Weight, Tkachuk, Demitra and Pronger have. I've read several articles mentioning this and have seen many trade rumors, but that the Blues just cannot seem to find any buyers for those huge contracts. Now, obviously the most valuable player in that list is probably Pronger, but if you can't get rid of Weight and Tkachuk, then wouldn't it be somewhat logical for the team to make a bit of a lateral trade for the sake of shedding payroll WITHOUT necessarily getting much worse.... maybe even getting better?

What am I talking about, you ask?

I suggest the following.... I'd be curious to hear what y'all think, considering such a trade might only be made under the auspices of a new cap-inclusive CBA:

From St. Louis:
Pronger, Demitra, Salvador, Boguniecki and a 5th rounder
to
NY Islanders for:
Adrian Aucoin, Mike Peca, Dave Scatchard, Mark Parrish and Eric Cairns

Have fun with it, and don't forget that we outside of St. Louis keep hearing your owner is DESPERATE to shed payroll - this would do so!

Old
05-11-2004, 12:32 PM
markus1

Send a message via AIM to markus1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIsle
Hey there folks,

I dunno what the press-atmosphere is like out there in St. Louie, but it seems as though the Blues are having troubles due to the heavy contracts that Weight, Tkachuk, Demitra and Pronger have. I've read several articles mentioning this and have seen many trade rumors, but that the Blues just cannot seem to find any buyers for those huge contracts. Now, obviously the most valuable player in that list is probably Pronger, but if you can't get rid of Weight and Tkachuk, then wouldn't it be somewhat logical for the team to make a bit of a lateral trade for the sake of shedding payroll WITHOUT necessarily getting much worse.... maybe even getting better?

I suggest the following.... I'd be curious to hear what y'all think, considering such a trade might only be made under the auspices of a new cap-inclusive CBA:

From St. Louis:
to
NY Islanders for:

Have fun with it, and don't forget that we outside of St. Louis keep hearing your owner is DESPERATE to shed payroll - this would do so!
Nope.

No way would I trade Chris Pronger.

Old
05-11-2004, 01:20 PM
Blueski

Take Pronger out of that and I would do it.

Old
05-11-2004, 03:44 PM
DaBo

Speaking strictly on terms of value/production....I'd say this is an even deal.

BUT, there is no way that I get rid of one of the top 3 Dmen in the league(if not the best Dman). It's already been said in STL, by management, that the Blues are going to build around Pronger.

Old
05-11-2004, 04:16 PM
coolhandluke2410
"BleedBlue44"

Send a message via AIM to coolhandluke2410 Send a message via Yahoo to coolhandluke2410
Quote:
Hey there folks,

From St. Louis:
to
NY Islanders for:

How bout...

STL: Demitra, Salvador, Boguniecki and a 3rd

NYI: Aucoin, Parrish, and 4th

I dunno.. lol I'm just throwing something out there... I'd love to get Aucoin on this team.

Old
05-11-2004, 05:05 PM
Irish Blues

(insert the standard "Pronger is not going anywhere" statement in this space)

Yes, management is wanting to shed payroll. I'm not sure "desperate" is the word I'd use, but trading one of the top 3 players in the league is NOT how they're going to go about it. (READ: any forward who grossly underachieved in the last 2 playoffs is available....but I'm not mentioning names.)

05-11-2004, 05:33 PM
markus1

The only ones who mildly catch my interest in that deal are Scatchard and Aucoin...

...and I'd give up Demitra, Salvador & Boguniecki (and maybe a pick) to get them but that is about it...

Old
05-11-2004, 08:59 PM
degroat*

Quote:
...we outside of St. Louis keep hearing your owner is DESPERATE to shed payroll - this would do so!
There have been one or two stories published about the Blues cutting payroll.

There have been at least a half dozen published stating that the Blues are building the franchise around Chris Pronger.

Selective 'hearing'?

Old
05-12-2004, 08:18 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Thanks for the responses folks. As I figured, Pronger is as close to untouchable - at least in the hearts of Blues fans - as any player can be, and I agree he's among the top 3 Dmen in the NHL, if not the best. And even if he's the most expensive, I assume you'd all rather see Tkachuk, Weight and Demitra be exchanged than see Pronger wearing another jersey.

For those interested, when I suggested this idea to Islanders fans, it didn't go over too well. For most of us, Aucoin is the untouchable, but even the thought of losing Peca, Scatchard and Parrish is just as much of an unheard of proposition. I guess everyone gets attached to the guys they see night-in-and-night-out in one way or another.

I would like to add that although the trade suggestion was nothing more than that, a trade suggestion, I do believe both teams would become better as a result of it.

Take care...

Old
05-12-2004, 10:33 AM
markus1

CIsle,

Not to totally change the subject or anything, but what do you think it would take for Jason Blake to be traded to St. Louis...?

Old
05-12-2004, 01:42 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Jason Blake

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus
Not to totally change the subject or anything, but what do you think it would take for Jason Blake to be traded to St. Louis...?

Well, honestly, the fans love him but it is not certain whether he's liked in the locker room? Rumor has it he has a grating personality. Then again, he works harder than anyone, is fast as can be and proved this season that the 55-point year was no fluke. In addition, he is MUCH more effective offensively from the right side, which is an Islander problem considering the team has Czerkawski, Parrish, Hunter, Weinhandl and Godard there too, plus Asham would be more effective there than on the left side. In addition, he's one of our few left-handed shots.

That said, the Isles are desperate for natural leftwings and a punishing defender. I don't know if it'd go over well with y'all, 'cause you're not LW strong yourselves but I assume you have faith in your system and thus a trade of Salvador and Sejna for Blake and Cairns would probably be something Mike Milbury would favorably consider.

Also, Blake as part of a bigger deal for Demitra is also thoroughly thinkable.

In other words, it'd probably not take AS MUCH as some might think. Then again, forget not that he'll certainly be seeking more money and heck, there are worse players earning $1.5 or more in this league. He'll be shooting for that when payday comes, cap or not!

Old
05-12-2004, 02:21 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Well, honestly, the fans love him but it is not certain whether he's liked in the locker room? Rumor has it he has a grating personality. Then again, he works harder than anyone, is fast as can be and proved this season that the 55-point year was no fluke. In addition, he is MUCH more effective offensively from the right side, which is an Islander problem considering the team has Czerkawski, Parrish, Hunter, Weinhandl and Godard there too, plus Asham would be more effective there than on the left side. In addition, he's one of our few left-handed shots.

That said, the Isles are desperate for natural leftwings and a punishing defender. I don't know if it'd go over well with y'all, 'cause you're not LW strong yourselves but I assume you have faith in your system and thus a trade of Salvador and Sejna for Blake and Cairns would probably be something Mike Milbury would favorably consider.

In other words, it'd probably not take AS MUCH as some might think. Then again, forget not that he'll certainly be seeking more money and heck, there are worse players earning $1.5 or more in this league. He'll be shooting for that when payday comes, cap or not!

Cairns is an impending UFA, and you may be overvaluing Blake here. I would think it would take Blake+ to get Salvador alone (just because dmen tend to have higher value than forward in today's NHL).

05-12-2004, 02:28 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Hey there folks,

From St. Louis:
to
NY Islanders for:

Make it Martinek instead of Cairns and Walker instead of Salvador and drop the pick and I would seriously consider the trade. I'd even consider it if you switched Blake for Scatchard(i'd probably perfer it that way to be honest).

Counter Proposal:
Pronger, Demitra, Bogi and Walker
for
Aucoin, Peca, Blake, Parrish and Martinek.

Old
05-13-2004, 02:10 PM
markus1

Quote:

Very interesting thoughts. Blake is probably my favorite Islander. And so if the Blues made any movements with the Isles involved, he'd be the absolute first person I'd want to see coming our way. Thanks!

Closed Thread