HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Paul Ranger

Old
08-04-2010, 09:10 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 500
What happened to Paul Ranger?

He was going to become a very solid defenseman and took the whole last year off as personal leave. Any ideas why?

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 09:22 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...ht=paul+ranger

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:16 PM
datsyukfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFood View Post
I agree, sounds to me like he's recovering from some kind of substance abuse. I guess he could have asked to not be paid because having all that money (Not sure what his salary is like, but im it'd be higher than the avg. person for sure) could tempt him into buying whatever it is he was addicted to?? But then again its all speculation and it could be something completely different... just my take on it.
I know somebody that knows Paul and he believes the issue was that Paul wasn't quite sure if he wanted to make hockey his life career. This is just what he told me take it for what it is

datsyukfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 12:39 AM
Flowzak
I saw, I conquered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by datsyukfan View Post
I know somebody that knows Paul and he believes the issue was that Paul wasn't quite sure if he wanted to make hockey his life career. This is just what he told me take it for what it is
If that's true, at least its not something serious. We can somewhat breathe a sigh of relief. However, I still hope he decides to return to the NHL if that really is the case.

Flowzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 01:03 AM
ManOnTheMoon
Hejdas Gonna Hejd

Quote:
Originally Posted by datsyukfan View Post
That's a relief, if anything. Plenty of people realize they're in the wrong career. I don't imagine athletes are immune to that. Maybe Paul reached enlightenment or something-- nobody really has a bad word to say about the guy, so that'd be good news if it was just a career change going on, and nothing any more serious.

ManOnTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 09:58 AM
Sureves

The Curious Case of Paul Ranger

I know this has been posted about 4 months ago but I can't find the thread so I apologize. I also realize this might be best suited for the TBL forums, but it's a particularly interesting situation that I thought others fans may be interested in.

So this guy has basically vanished from the NHL and it allegedly had nothing to do with an injury, and was also about "personal issues". Has any news came to light as to what these personal issues were? I hate to be nosy and invade his privacy, as this is obviously a big deal to be kept under wraps this well, but what is going on with this guy? Anyone know? He use to look like he would have a great career, and then just vanished.

Sureves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 10:04 AM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 3498
Found this.

http://www.rawcharge.com/2010/4/7/14...anger-sighting

Chairman Maouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 10:07 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If it's a personal issue, it should remain that way.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 10:10 AM
ThunderAlleyNomad

From the Lightning board:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=696779

Short answer without reading through 9 pages of nobody knows anything, is nobody knows anything.

ThunderAlleyNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 10:11 AM
sk84fun_dc

There's a stickied thread in the TBL section. here

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 10:11 AM
Sureves

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
From the Lightning board:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=696779

Short answer without reading through 9 pages of nobody knows anything, is nobody knows anything.
Very interesting, hard to believe the media didn't infiltrate his life and find out what's going on. Best of luck to him with whatever it is in any event. The fact that he requested not to be paid is what I find the most interesting.

Old
09-14-2010, 10:16 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sureves View Post
Very interesting, hard to believe the media didn't infiltrate his life and find out what's going on. Best of luck to him with whatever it is in any event. The fact that he requested not to be paid is what I find the most interesting.
Well to be fair he doesn't play for the Habs or the Leafs where this kind of thing would be the scandal of the century...

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 10:18 AM
Sureves

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Well to be fair he doesn't play for the Habs or the Leafs where this kind of thing would be the scandal of the century...
Haha very true, can't even argue against that. I think I'm just accustomed to hockey in the Ontario area

Old
09-14-2010, 10:31 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

They've tried on a few occasions and got a "**** off and mind your own business" from various sources.

That being said, its now our mission to declare him a candidate for governor in Florida. Maybe we can help with a career change.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 10:34 AM
ThunderAlleyNomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey View Post
They've tried on a few occasions and got a "**** off and mind your own business" from various sources.

That being said, its now our mission to declare him a candidate for governor in Florida. Maybe we can help with a career change.
He's a better bet than what's out there. Sign me up, I'll do posters.

ThunderAlleyNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 11:03 AM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sureves View Post
Haha very true, can't even argue against that. I think I'm just accustomed to hockey in the Ontario area
Chad Kilger left the Leafs (and Panthers) for personal reasons too.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 11:53 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
If it's a personal issue, it should remain that way.
I agree

some people suggested a few things were involved--but it was hersay.

It sounds like he needs time away from the game and he has taken it. I hope him in the best and I hope it is not serious

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 01:41 PM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 560
That's a shame for the Lightning, he's a good player.

Here's hoping he can resolve any personal issues he's dealing with, and maybe one day get back in the game.

alcanalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 02:18 PM
FrozenFloor
Pest

Screw the whole privacy angle. When you are part of a team, and an integral one at that you owe it not only to your team but to the fanbase to explain why you decided to up and leave. Remember he was under CONTRACT. It's frustrating to not know why he decided to not return and I'm sure we'll find out one day but when you're a professional athlete you pretty much give up all rights to privacy you are entitled too.

FrozenFloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 02:32 PM
Fraction Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenFloor View Post
Screw the whole privacy angle. When you are part of a team, and an integral one at that you owe it not only to your team but to the fanbase to explain why you decided to up and leave. Remember he was under CONTRACT. It's frustrating to not know why he decided to not return and I'm sure we'll find out one day but when you're a professional athlete you pretty much give up all rights to privacy you are entitled too.
Clearly, the team has decided that whatever it is, it would be a detriment to Ranger to make it public for whatever reason. And as he requested not to be paid as I recall, it's not as though he's getting anything here. So the contract bit doesn't apply.

tl;dr: "nope."

Fraction Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 02:38 PM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 560
Quote:
He doesn't owe it to the fans, he owes it to the team and him and Stevie Y have obviously talked about it so that's square. Personal problems are just what they are; personal.

alcanalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 02:39 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

You can't just call a thread "The Curious Case of Paul Ranger" then not include some ridiculous poem or story.

This thread is more of a "Hey guys, what happened to Paul Ranger?"

DungeonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 03:41 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Some fans need to stop overrating their own importance.

You pay for a couple of hours worth of entertainment. To that you are entitled. You are not entitled to someone's life.

Have to be honest, I find the mentality you espouse above to be borderline frightening and frankly, smarmy. That's not a comment on you personally whatsoever, but the mentality, which is certainly popular among some.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 03:52 PM
Butchered
Whatchu doin Cooper?

Send a message via AIM to Butchered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Some fans need to stop overrating their own importance.

You pay for a couple of hours worth of entertainment. To that you are entitled. You are not entitled to someone's life.

Have to be honest, I find the mentality you espouse above to be borderline frightening and frankly, smarmy. That's not a comment on you personally whatsoever, but the mentality, which is certainly popular among some.
100% correct right here, as usual. It's staggering how many people feel that Ranger OWES them a reasoning behind his leave.

Butchered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 04:07 PM
Vote for Rory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butchered View Post
100% correct right here, as usual. It's staggering how many people feel that Ranger OWES them a reasoning behind his leave.
People are just that curious I guess. I would like to know, but if it's not being released, then so be it. You can't get angry about it or blame Ranger or the organization.

Vote for Rory is offline   Reply With Quote