HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

OHL vs NCAA eligibility

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-04-2010, 12:20 PM
  #1
stratosphere
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 13
vCash: 500
OHL vs NCAA eligibility

I know this has been asked before, but thought since the draft just happened a review might be in order. It would be good to be clear on these points.

1) What is the 48 hour rule and how is it applied or monitored? Or is it still even a rule?

2) How/when can a draftee lose his NCAA eligibility?

3) Are the rules different for Canadians vs Americans?

4) The OHL Draft preview says that the OHL will pay tuition for any university in the world. Even outside of Canada?

stratosphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 12:55 PM
  #2
Edges7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: MA
Country: United States
Posts: 866
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratosphere View Post
I know this has been asked before, but thought since the draft just happened a review might be in order. It would be good to be clear on these points.

1) What is the 48 hour rule and how is it applied or monitored? Or is it still even a rule?

2) How/when can a draftee lose his NCAA eligibility?

3) Are the rules different for Canadians vs Americans?

4) The OHL Draft preview says that the OHL will pay tuition for any university in the world. Even outside of Canada?
1) NCAA actually has a group that monitors the CHL's drafts and camps and sends out an email to all US draft picks a day or so after the draft outlining the parameters of any participation. Also, any student-athlete who desires to play any college sport must go through an eligibility process which includes verifying amatuer status in a sport.

2) After 48 hours in a camp a player loses eligibility.

3) No.

4) No.


Last edited by Edges7: 05-04-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Edges7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 12:59 PM
  #3
slacker24
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 228
vCash: 500
If you are american they will pay the tuition of the state college closest to your home.like penn state michigan state where ever your from.

slacker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 01:08 PM
  #4
Edges7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: MA
Country: United States
Posts: 866
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie10 View Post
If you are american they will pay the tuition of the state college closest to your home.like penn state michigan state where ever your from.

Is that new?

Edges7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 01:10 PM
  #5
stratosphere
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 13
vCash: 500
I've heard people say the 48 hour rule is not the case and that it is all tied to OHL exhibition games. Which is it? And if it is the latter, what consititutes an exhibition game?

stratosphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 01:11 PM
  #6
stratosphere
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 13
vCash: 500
Says right on the Draft Preview that they will pay tuition of for any university in the world.

stratosphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 01:14 PM
  #7
Tigers1992
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratosphere View Post
I've heard people say the 48 hour rule is not the case and that it is all tied to OHL exhibition games. Which is it? And if it is the latter, what consititutes an exhibition game?
48 Hour rule is deffinetly the case.

Edges7 has the answers down pat, although I have heard that OHL Teams are paying for players to go to US schools as well, as long as they are close to your home. With all of the americans comming to Ontario, they almost have to make this exception.

All of the players that I know that have used the package have used it for Ontario schools.

I would suggest that if you have questions contact Joe Birch at the OHL, he is very open to questions regarding education.

He will inform you about the school options. He would not have up to date information on NCAA eligibility however.

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 01:18 PM
  #8
stratosphere
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 13
vCash: 500
So the 48 hour rule begins and ends when? When does the clock start and stop ticking??

stratosphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 01:20 PM
  #9
Edges7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: MA
Country: United States
Posts: 866
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
48 Hour rule is deffinetly the case.

I would suggest that if you have questions contact Joe Birch at the OHL, he is very open to questions regarding education.
In the US, you can contact Paul Kelly or Jeff Dwyer at College Hockey Inc [ www.collegehockeyinc.com ]

Edges7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 01:20 PM
  #10
Tigers1992
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,361
vCash: 500
Found this on an information package that was given to me last season by a recruiter.


Can I tryout for teams in major junior and still be eligible to compete in the NCAA?


Before enrollment in a NCAA university an athlete can:
-Tryout for any length of time, but not compete against outside opponents, with a major junior or other professional hockey team at your own expense
-Receive one expense paid tryout with a major junior team as long as it does not exceed 48 hours
-Note that during a tryout, an individual may not take part in any outside competition (games or scrimmages) as a representative of that major junior team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratosphere View Post
So the 48 hour rule begins and ends when? When does the clock start and stop ticking??
As soon as you get there it starts, and you would have 48 hours to compete. Generally teams will schedule things so that you have an opportunity to leave , for example have a 4 hour break in camp at hour 46 to see who wanted to stay and who wanted to go, that is just in my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges7 View Post
In the US, you can contact Paul Kelly or Jeff Dwyer at College Hockey Inc [ www.collegehockeyinc.com ]
Agree those are very good contacts, who can give you the most up to date information.

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 01:22 PM
  #11
Edges7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: MA
Country: United States
Posts: 866
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratosphere View Post
So the 48 hour rule begins and ends when? When does the clock start and stop ticking??
At the moment of the start of the camp be it meeting or skate or even meal.

Edges7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 01:23 PM
  #12
Edges7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: MA
Country: United States
Posts: 866
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Tryout for any length of time, but not compete against outside opponents, with a major junior or other professional hockey team at your own expense
.
That one, FYI, is a trap door. Best to simply obey the 48 hours and be safe.

Edges7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 01:27 PM
  #13
Tigers1992
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges7 View Post
That one, FYI, is a trap door. Best to simply obey the 48 hours and be safe.
I agree, it you are serious, leave after 48 hours, it is better in the long run.

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 01:29 PM
  #14
stratosphere
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 13
vCash: 500
OK thanks for your help!

stratosphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 01:48 PM
  #15
Edges7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: MA
Country: United States
Posts: 866
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Agree those are very good contacts, who can give you the most up to date information.
Jeff Dwyer is the guy you should talk to first but Paul will have last word if there is a question.

They'll tell you the same thing about 48 hours, btw. When a prospective student-athlete puts down "O" contacts on his form, he's going to get questioned. It's a 100% certainty - excuse me if that is redundant. The NCAA scutinizes contact with CHL hockey as it does alumni involvement in Football and Basketball.

Edges7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 05:54 PM
  #16
Rally Donkey
Registered User
 
Rally Donkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chatham, Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratosphere View Post
4) The OHL Draft preview says that the OHL will pay tuition for any university in the world. Even outside of Canada?
Depends both on the team and the player. A team with deep pockets (eg. Windsor, London) may offer a 1st round pick a lot more than a smaller market team. Basic (minimum) promise is one year of tuition & books at a local state college for each year played in the CHL. If you're the top pick of a top team, you might be able to negotiate four years tuition, books, room & board at Oxford in England with a nice SUV (or total cash equivalent) before you play your first game. Not cynical - that's just the way it is.

Rally Donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 06:53 PM
  #17
Ward Cornell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedwhiteandGreen View Post
Depends both on the team and the player. A team with deep pockets (eg. Windsor, London) may offer a 1st round pick a lot more than a smaller market team. Basic (minimum) promise is one year of tuition & books at a local state college for each year played in the CHL. If you're the top pick of a top team, you might be able to negotiate four years tuition, books, room & board at Oxford in England with a nice SUV (or total cash equivalent) before you play your first game. Not cynical - that's just the way it is.

and if they get a player from the NCAA they will fulfill the costs of the education he gave up.
Since the CHL team isn't bound by NCAA rules sometimes they even exceed what the scholarship offered.

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 06:51 AM
  #18
Alpine
Registered User
 
Alpine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
and if they get a player from the NCAA they will fulfill the costs of the education he gave up.
Since the CHL team isn't bound by NCAA rules sometimes they even exceed what the scholarship offered.
Also if he attends a CIS school and plays hockey. That hockey program can offer an AFA (Athletic Financial Award). 1 AFA covers tuition and cumpulsary fees, on top of his CHL scholarship and CHL team extras. CIS schools can offer a maximum of 14 AFA's per hockey team in either full or split form.


Last edited by Alpine: 05-05-2010 at 06:59 AM.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 07:14 AM
  #19
Hotsauce
 
Hotsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 176
vCash: 500
Is it becoming CIS vs NCAA? OHL vs USHL?

Hotsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 07:20 AM
  #20
Alpine
Registered User
 
Alpine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotsauce View Post
Is it becoming CIS vs NCAA? OHL vs USHL?
I could be wrong but I think they all blend together since it's NCAA eligibility vs playing CHL and what is offered players after CHL vs what NCAA offers. More of the whole picture rather than purely a 1 on 1 comparison of leagues.

Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 08:06 AM
  #21
Hotsauce
 
Hotsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 176
vCash: 500
You are not wrong. In the real world a degree from Canada is worth the same as a degree in US. Both are necessary to the future and attainable from both paths.

Some US degrees have more pull like IVY degrees, but its pay to play for the big ones. Isn't Jeff Dwyer a Bulldog working the "evils of OHL" for Kelly? Must be a big paying job??

Hotsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 08:22 AM
  #22
Default101
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,064
vCash: 500
I think something NCAA should atleast consider is removing the OHL=No NCAA rule. They would lose some of their top players they recieve like Schroeder, Colin Wilson, James Van Riemsdyk that are good enough to be 20 year old NHLers, but it could work becasue..

- Some of these top players will still play NCAA even if CHL then NCAA is available to them.

- They will recieve tons of very talented players at the age of 20 when they complete their OA.

- It'll put more emphasis on the Student before the student athlete, as many NHL bound players only stay for a year or two, where as the top CHL graduates will want to play their entire 4 year eligibility, so it will bring more stability into the system.

I know this idea might never fly, but I think it is worth considering.

CIS could be competitive in the NCAA but they would be no match for the very best NCAA teams, unless it was a huge upset. I'm sure a few would even be able to qualify for the tournament, but if you put the top CIS teams against the top NCAA teams, NCAA will win, but CIS would be better against the teams that don't have numerous NHL prospects.

Default101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 09:44 AM
  #23
Tigers1992
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,361
vCash: 500
In my perfect world, the OHL moves from a 16-20 year old league to a 16-19 year old league.

The NCAA lifts its ban on CHL players, and upon graduation from the OHL players could move to a high quality NCAA team.

Seams like a simple solution to me.

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 10:13 AM
  #24
Ward Cornell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Seams like a simple solution to me.
You're right...it's very simple solution and a win win for both sides.
I guess that's why it will never happen.

Strange how NCAA players can be on the same team as CHL players and pro players and compete vs the CHL players and pro players in the WJHC and U18 Tourneys but still doesn't lose their eligibility.

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 10:48 AM
  #25
Edges7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: MA
Country: United States
Posts: 866
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
In my perfect world, the OHL moves from a 16-20 year old league to a 16-19 year old league.

The NCAA lifts its ban on CHL players, and upon graduation from the OHL players could move to a high quality NCAA team.

Seams like a simple solution to me.
The solution is for the CHL to not allow ANY inducements to be paid to amatuer players...

Edges7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.