HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Utorrent/Firefox Internet Problem

Old
05-04-2010, 08:13 PM
Jonathan Iilahti*

vCash: 500
Utorrent/Firefox Internet Problem

My internet stops working every time I open up Firefox while using Utorrent. It works after about 30 seconds has passed, but will crash again every few minutes or so. It seems to happen more often when my download speeds are high (400kb/s+), but also happens even at low speeds. The problem started when I received a new 2Wire router from my ISP. I stay connected to my local network when it happens, but not to the internet. Has anyone else experienced this before, or have any suggestions as to why this is happening?

Jonathan Iilahti* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 08:22 PM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

My guess is you're opening too many ports too quickly. I know BitTorrent is notorious for crashing routers and switches because it opens up a ton of connections in a very little amount of time. Especially if you have a lot of plugins with your Firefox

I had a friend with a similar problem, i'll see if he was able to fix it.

edit: The best way for you to work around this is to either just live with it, limit the amount of connections your BT supports, or if you're downloading multiple things, stagger your the start of your downloads so you don't do it all at once.

DrFeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 09:20 AM
neofury*

My advice, personally I say get a real router, not some ISP router. It's probably just a crappy router and it can't handle all the connections your uTorrent is making. Limiting the number of connections depending on how much this router forces you to do so, could make torrenting borderline useless. (To me it seems almost like they're trying to throttle you at the hardware level, giving you a router that can't handle this type of trafficking, really lame)

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 12:49 PM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
My advice, personally I say get a real router, not some ISP router. It's probably just a crappy router and it can't handle all the connections your uTorrent is making. Limiting the number of connections depending on how much this router forces you to do so, could make torrenting borderline useless. (To me it seems almost like they're trying to throttle you at the hardware level, giving you a router that can't handle this type of trafficking, really lame)
I'm not the OP, but how much does a good router cost? I pay to rent one for $5 a month. I have high-speed (up to 50 Megabits download per second and 1 Megabite upload per second). Would it be worth it to buy my own router if I'll be with the same ISP for sure at least another 2 years?

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 01:26 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
I'm not the OP, but how much does a good router cost? I pay to rent one for $5 a month. I have high-speed (up to 50 Megabits download per second and 1 Megabite upload per second). Would it be worth it to buy my own router if I'll be with the same ISP for sure at least another 2 years?
In my opinion it's almost always best in most cases to buy your own.

I paid 80$ for mine because it has some really good media streaming capabilities and that is what I was looking for.

Personally speaking though I wouldn't use a router provided by my ISP, but that's just me. 5$ a month could easily pay for a router you'll be able to use without issues for 5+ years, barring a new technology taking over.

I have a 50mbit/1mbit videotron line at the office and at my parents place, at their place they use their own router, just a 40$ type one from linksys. I use a dlink, I was never a dlink fan in the past and always went with linksys products, however the last 2 routers I had from linksys were duds or gave me issues when streaming media. I decided to do some research and found a dlink model that did what I wanted it to do, I was skeptical at first but I love it.

Tried using my parents old router for streaming stuff and its not the best to be honest, but it definitely works wonders with their 50mbit line, speeds are fine, no random disconnects, no problems (theirs is a dlink)

I think of it like this, what does any ISP have to gain from renting you out a top of the line router? Nothing really, they'd likely be best off renting out the bare minimum, a router that makes the internet work. In cases like the OPs though, I think it may be more than just a ****** router, possibly a poorly configured router or poorly setup line. It really shouldn't disconnect you from using too much bandwidth and/or having too many connections unless we're talking a really crap router, even my crappy routers of the past didn't do that. They rent it out for 5$ a month and likely paid like 29.99$ for it, a lower end linksys possibly in most cases. That all having been said, I got my dlink, loved it and never looked back. They've made improvements that are leaps and bounds better than their older crap routers and the streaming is top notch.

For your needs though, I don't see why a 29.99/39.99 router wouldn't be fine, but you never know with an ISP what product they're going to rent to you, could be you're paying 5$/month (aka 60 a year) in order to rent a router that costs all of 30 bucks to buy in the store.

Oh forgot to mention, at home I only have a 10mbit/900kbit line, and despite the bandwidth limitations, I never have issues with random disconnects or lack of bandwidth, I'm constantly able to connect to many seeds/leechers at once.

One problem I think for the OP could possibly be his comp, maybe his comp can't handle the traffic/resources. I remember on my ****tier comp whenever I used to be connected to several torrents at once it would cause sort of a lag disconnect, where my torrents would wait like 1 minute and then finally reconnect and rebuild the bandwidth it had, only to repeat the same problem again after. This wouldn't happen on my good comps though ever.

Old
05-05-2010, 01:33 PM
Zodiac

i still use a linksys wrt54g and its been serving the purpose for years. i think i might have had that for around 5 years now.

the only other thing i bought (probably 4 years ago) was a linksys wre54g range expander so that i could make sure i'd have 100% signal strength over the entire house.

its been working great (touches some wood).

EDIT: i got side tracked there for a bit ...had to tend to some things ...but what i was gonna say is that you should just call the ISP and say that you want another router.

Last edited by Zodiac: 05-05-2010 at 02:07 PM.
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 03:59 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 250
As said earlier, cut back on the number of connections you're allowing uTorrent to make. I try to keep mine to two digits if I want a strong internet connection, because if I go to 150 or something I usually end up losing any access to the internet.

It's weird because uTorrent will continue to work while other applications (Firefox, MSN) claim there's no internet connection.

Just lower the number of connections and you should be fine.

05-05-2010, 05:09 PM
invictus

Quote:
In my opinion it's almost always best in most cases to buy your own.

I paid 80$ for mine because it has some really good media streaming capabilities and that is what I was looking for.

Personally speaking though I wouldn't use a router provided by my ISP, but that's just me. 5$ a month could easily pay for a router you'll be able to use without issues for 5+ years, barring a new technology taking over.

I have a 50mbit/1mbit videotron line at the office and at my parents place, at their place they use their own router, just a 40$ type one from linksys. I use a dlink, I was never a dlink fan in the past and always went with linksys products, however the last 2 routers I had from linksys were duds or gave me issues when streaming media. I decided to do some research and found a dlink model that did what I wanted it to do, I was skeptical at first but I love it.

Tried using my parents old router for streaming stuff and its not the best to be honest, but it definitely works wonders with their 50mbit line, speeds are fine, no random disconnects, no problems (theirs is a dlink)

For your needs though, I don't see why a 29.99/39.99 router wouldn't be fine, but you never know with an ISP what product they're going to rent to you, could be you're paying 5$/month (aka 60 a year) in order to rent a router that costs all of 30 bucks to buy in the store.
For what it is worth, I have a Belkin N+ router that I like a lot.

I just checked and the ISP provided modem is an Arris Touchstone Wideband Modem WBM750

Anyone know much on modems? Is that a good one?

What kind should I look to buy? I really have no idea what to look for. And is it just my internet company blowing smoke up my ass that not all modems will work with their internet? I kind of felt like they just said it when I signed up so they'd get more money from me, but....yeah. I don't know.

I just got a $75 gift card for Amazon for my birthday actually, so anything under that would be stellar and a good present for myself I suppose.

Old
05-05-2010, 07:19 PM
Jonathan Iilahti*

I know that isn't simply a bad router, as I had the exact same one before and this is just a replacement because the previous one broke. I also know that it isn't my computer, because I've been using it for 2 years now without any problems.

The number of connections shouldn't be the problem either. I have it set to 100, which is lower than I used to use when I had 6.0mbps, and now I have 15.0mbps. It's really weird because when I had 6.0mbps I would get DL speeds of 600kbps and still be able to browse the internet, but now I can't browse the internet even at speeds as low as 200 kbps.

Old
05-06-2010, 10:31 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher0805 View Post
I know that isn't simply a bad router, as I had the exact same one before and this is just a replacement because the previous one broke. I also know that it isn't my computer, because I've been using it for 2 years now without any problems.

The number of connections shouldn't be the problem either. I have it set to 100, which is lower than I used to use when I had 6.0mbps, and now I have 15.0mbps. It's really weird because when I had 6.0mbps I would get DL speeds of 600kbps and still be able to browse the internet, but now I can't browse the internet even at speeds as low as 200 kbps.
OK a few questions

1) When you upgraded from 6mbit to 15mbit, was it the same ISP?
-If not you're probably being throttled
-If you're on the same ISP though: Is it the same type of connection? Like did you go from ADSL 6mbit to SDSL 15mbit, or was it like Cable 6mbit to Cable 15mbit?

2) Was it the identical model of router? Did you do any firmware upgrades to it in the past router or with your current one?

3) How does your computer run outside of the internet, is it laggy? Are you having issues of any kind? Do you have proper antivirus/spyware protection and/or firewall? When was the last time you formatted/reinstalled windows?

Sounds like either you are being throttled or again, the router could be the issue. My last two models of router before this one were linksys (forget the exact model # but they were also the same). My first one I never had problems with but my last one I did, which is what led me to try other brands.

To be honest I find linksys and their products have gone down hill in recent time, I also have the range extender (works perfectly btw) and I also have 2 wireless usb keys from them for the PC, getting the damn things to work properly for some reason is trickier then it should be, i.e. an end user could have some problems. (I'm an IT guy personally, so I'm pretty good at computer problem solving, but the app they give you to connect to wireless is garbage and makes it more difficult than using the normal windows one, which by the way, installing the app/drives disables)

Anyways getting back on topic, if you only have 100 connections when I have mine in the 4 digit area, I don't see how it couldn't be one of: A) Bad computer, B) Bad router, C) Bad ISP, D) Throttling

The reason I say this is because before you were able to download at 600kb/s and browse, now you can't even do 200kb/s.

I have a similar problem, I can't upload at more than 75kb/s roughly and download at more than roughly 6-7 hundred (I'm on 10mbit tho not 15mbit) or else I lag, however I had a ******** of connections so that's likely why I can't download at 7-9 hundred instead of 6-7 while browsing or playing games. I also have a special kind of router that allocates bandwidth priority to games/browsing over utorrent/bandwidth hogging apps, I forget the name of this technology, I believe it's called "QoS", I'm not 100% sure if this comes standard with all routers but mine has it.

When I get home I'll link you my routers details, it's solid. QoS might help you out if it's really utorrent just being a *****. However I'm almost positive it's one of A B C or D listed above.

Answer my questions and I may have more detail as to whats going on

Old
05-06-2010, 10:37 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
For what it is worth, I have a Belkin N+ router that I like a lot.

I just checked and the ISP provided modem is an Arris Touchstone Wideband Modem WBM750

Anyone know much on modems? Is that a good one?

What kind should I look to buy? I really have no idea what to look for. And is it just my internet company blowing smoke up my ass that not all modems will work with their internet? I kind of felt like they just said it when I signed up so they'd get more money from me, but....yeah. I don't know.

I just got a $75 gift card for Amazon for my birthday actually, so anything under that would be stellar and a good present for myself I suppose.
Technically only their modem will work because they choose for it to be the only one that works. (At least when using DHCP type connections such as cable, if I recall correctly the modem matters because as far as I remember their end checks the MAC address of the modem in order to know/verify that it is in fact you using the internet and also so that you can't connect a 2nd modem elsewhere in your house and have two lines)

However you can use any router you want with any ISP. Modems are another story, I do believe DSL companies can make it limited to one modem as well, but having had experience with DSL as well, being that at one point I had bell, I was able to use more than just the modem they gave me, only I could only have one modem connected at a time.

Old
05-06-2010, 10:50 AM
Spy
resU deretsigeR

Could a bad network card cause this kind of problem also?

Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 01:17 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadyens View Post
Could a bad network card cause this kind of problem also?
Imo it's also definitely possible. I know one of my two linksys usb cards, for some reason when using it to game, there are lag spikes every x amount of minutes, where as my other one doesn't do that.

Also my friend has purchased two different models of acer laptop that did the exact same thing. No overall lag, no overheating or anything, just random lag spikes that last 3-4 seconds, very annoying if you're trying to do a boss mechanic in WoW and get his with one of these.

It's funny I hadn't thought of that originally but it could definitely be the card, I know some of the no-name type ones are really ****** come to think of it.

Old
05-06-2010, 02:09 PM
invictus

Quote:
Technically only their modem will work because they choose for it to be the only one that works. (At least when using DHCP type connections such as cable, if I recall correctly the modem matters because as far as I remember their end checks the MAC address of the modem in order to know/verify that it is in fact you using the internet and also so that you can't connect a 2nd modem elsewhere in your house and have two lines)

However you can use any router you want with any ISP. Modems are another story, I do believe DSL companies can make it limited to one modem as well, but having had experience with DSL as well, being that at one point I had bell, I was able to use more than just the modem they gave me, only I could only have one modem connected at a time.
Well that sucks, I was hoping to get my own modem and save $5 a month. Oh well

Old
05-06-2010, 07:48 PM
Jonathan Iilahti*

Quote:
OK a few questions

1) When you upgraded from 6mbit to 15mbit, was it the same ISP?
-If not you're probably being throttled
-If you're on the same ISP though: Is it the same type of connection? Like did you go from ADSL 6mbit to SDSL 15mbit, or was it like Cable 6mbit to Cable 15mbit?
Yes, still the same ISP. I upgraded from Telus' High Speed 6.0 to their High Speed Turbo 15.0. I know it's DSL, not sure whether it's ADSL or SDSL though.

Quote:
2) Was it the identical model of router? Did you do any firmware upgrades to it in the past router or with your current one?
It is the identical model of router, but the firmware may be slightly different than before.

Quote:
3) How does your computer run outside of the internet, is it laggy? Are you having issues of any kind? Do you have proper antivirus/spyware protection and/or firewall? When was the last time you formatted/reinstalled windows?
My computer is perfectly fine, no issues whatsoever. I do have proper antivirus and spyware and a firewall running. I reformatted and reinstalled windows 8 days ago. I know it's not a problem with my computer because the same thing happens on my dad's computer.

Quote:
Sounds like either you are being throttled or again, the router could be the issue. My last two models of router before this one were linksys (forget the exact model # but they were also the same). My first one I never had problems with but my last one I did, which is what led me to try other brands.

To be honest I find linksys and their products have gone down hill in recent time, I also have the range extender (works perfectly btw) and I also have 2 wireless usb keys from them for the PC, getting the damn things to work properly for some reason is trickier then it should be, i.e. an end user could have some problems. (I'm an IT guy personally, so I'm pretty good at computer problem solving, but the app they give you to connect to wireless is garbage and makes it more difficult than using the normal windows one, which by the way, installing the app/drives disables)

Anyways getting back on topic, if you only have 100 connections when I have mine in the 4 digit area, I don't see how it couldn't be one of: A) Bad computer, B) Bad router, C) Bad ISP, D) Throttling

The reason I say this is because before you were able to download at 600kb/s and browse, now you can't even do 200kb/s.

I have a similar problem, I can't upload at more than 75kb/s roughly and download at more than roughly 6-7 hundred (I'm on 10mbit tho not 15mbit) or else I lag, however I had a ******** of connections so that's likely why I can't download at 7-9 hundred instead of 6-7 while browsing or playing games. I also have a special kind of router that allocates bandwidth priority to games/browsing over utorrent/bandwidth hogging apps, I forget the name of this technology, I believe it's called "QoS", I'm not 100% sure if this comes standard with all routers but mine has it.

When I get home I'll link you my routers details, it's solid. QoS might help you out if it's really utorrent just being a *****. However I'm almost positive it's one of A B C or D listed above.

Answer my questions and I may have more detail as to whats going on
I'm thinking that it's either a problem with the router not being able to handle the upgrade we got for the internet(makes sense since it's an older model of router, we got the same one originally 4 years ago), or it's just Telus not knowing what they're doing and ****ing something up when they switched me over to the 15.0.

Thanks for the help. I'm going to try switching back to the 6.0 for a few days to see if it makes a difference.

Old
05-06-2010, 08:46 PM
Joe Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher0805 View Post
Yes, still the same ISP. I upgraded from Telus' High Speed 6.0 to their High Speed Turbo 15.0. I know it's DSL, not sure whether it's ADSL or SDSL though.
Unless your upload speed is also 15 megabits/second, you have ADSL, not SDSL (the S stands for 'symmetric').

Sorry I don't have a bigger contribution to make.

Joe Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 08:55 PM
Jonathan Iilahti*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canada View Post
Unless your upload speed is also 15 megabits/second, you have ADSL, not SDSL (the S stands for 'symmetric').

Thanks for the tip, I didn't know that.

It was ADSL before and it still is ADSL.

Old
05-07-2010, 09:50 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canada View Post

Yeah, well there are other types of dsl also if I recall correctly, just used SDSL as an example. When you upgraded did they make you use a new modem?

Also the 10-15 mbit transition shouldn't cause problems as routers even lower grade ones should easily be able to handle 40-50mbit as so should most cable modems. It's not that the lines/modem/router cannot handle these types of speeds, it's that you are bottlenecked by that 15mbit your ISP gives you, so I highly doubt the extra 5mbit changed much. My parents went from 10mbit to 50mbit on a linksys, and if I'm not mistaking the router may even bottleneck their ISP cause it usually only goes up to around 40mbit, but the router is able to handle its maximum, so no reason why it shouldn't handle 15mbit.

Maybe if you have a friend with a working router and the same ISP who is nice enough, you could try using his router for a day and see if it still has the same issue, then do the same with your wireless card. I did forget to mention the wireless card the other day, which is funny because in my experiences with them, especially ****** brands, they don't all work up to standard imo.

If you're running a clean windows fresh install, I don't see how that could be the issue here. Maybe you should go into your router and see if you have some kind of QoS or similar service that is bottlenecking your utorrent? All though I don't see how that would make your internet run worse, though maybe if it were giving utorrent priority over browsing it could.

It's very weird that your uTorrent keeps chugging along when IE/Firefox cannot browse. Usually back in the day when I had problems with that, it was because my machine itself couldn't handle it resource wise, and my uTorrent would drop down to 0kb/sec and then go back up and rinse/repeat.