HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rd. 2, Gm. 3: Bruins @ Flyers - May 5, 2010 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
05-06-2010, 09:54 AM
DUHockey9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinRiles View Post
It's basically 2 on 2, Richie takes out his man and leaves Pronger with 1 on 1 behind him.

Pronger plays the situation like it's a 1 on 1 for him, assuming backcheckers would pick up Satan.

Well Carcillo was about to take care of Satan, but lost his speed when jumping over Krejci, lost his interest to regain speed.

Carle skated his ass off to get back, didn't make it in time as he fell down near Rask's crease.

Boosh completely froze.
Exactly. This is precisely what happened.

Richie made a great play on a 2 on 2. Pronger goes to his man with the puck. Carcillo lost his man during his jump, and Carle couldn't catch him.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 10:03 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Yeesh, well. We still have arguments to this day that the better team lost last year in the first round.
With whom? We played them well in that series, but they were clearly the better team at the end of the day with better high-end forwards, and their goalie beat us when they needed him to.

Quote:
2 years later they added to the core of the team, and aren't going to make it back to where a perceived not-as-good team was.
A team that overreached itself. Just like this one has in getting to the 2nd round (purely because of matchups).

What's amazing is that you spent all year spouting ridiculous dislike of Boucher, and now you're getting on the team in the 2nd round with Boucher as the starting goalie. Below you make a claim that you're trying not to be hypocritical... you are. If Boucher is as bad as you painted him all season long, then this is house money time. And that's before we address the other injuries.

Quote:
They've been better pretty much across the board. I knew from the start that down the middle that they wouldn't be able to match up against the Bruins centers (Krejci getting hurt helps, but Sobotka ain't so bad). Pronger could be equalized by Zdneo Chara. But if this team was truly a real Stanley Cup contender, this series wouldn't be 3-0.
If the Bruins have been "better pretty much across the board" then I need you to explain to me why they needed OT and a very late goal to win Games 1 & 2 and pretty much lived by bounces last night. Bruins have not been "dominating" this series, they've just been winning it.

And, just to run your theory up the flag, you don't think Detroit was a true Stanley Cup contender?

Quote:
They didn't have the guys to replace those injured. They didn't have their replacements prepared to contribute, at the very least, what they needed. I realize that I'm asking a lot, perhaps too much, but you know what -- they opened themselves up for that. My view the whole year is that when Holmgren sold out when he and traded for Pronger, that all the excuses, or reasons, or whatever else, were taken off the table. They either win it this year, or it is a failure. Brash. Perhaps unreasonable (I mean they're the ones who always say they do when they feel they need to do to win the Stanley Cup in the upcoming season). They brought it upon themselves though. They indicated that this was to be the year the team gets it done, I'm only holding them to that because they gave themselves no room for error.
No, you're just asking too much. No one has two top 6 players sitting around to plug in and produce at the same level...not to mention a very good PKer lying around (exacerbated by the fact that both the top 6 guys are also PKers). And while I'm more than happy to be critical of the job Homer did with this team -- as you're well aware -- your analysis of this team at his moment in time is pure ridiculousness. They weren't Stanley Cup contenders the moment they decided to make a go of it with Leighton and then Boucher in net. Their chances took an even bigger hit when they lost Carter and Gagne, folowed by Lappy. Those aren't "excuses," those are reality.

However, this isn't about "no room for error." Holmgren could have done his job perfectly this season and we still weren't likely to be a Cup contender lacking Carter, Gagne, and Lappy... and that's just the way it is. Cuz you know what the most notable feature of the games in Boston was? Our top players were exhausted.

Quote:
NO EXCUSES.
NO LOGIC.

Quote:
I've been saying all year, and I would feel hypocritical if I was to turn around now and start talking about injuries. Even with injuries to Carter and Gagne, if this team was a true contender they should still be able to beat the Bruins, it would be against the Penguins where our losses would be evident

What is this, the ostrich philosophy of analysis? The team is seriously injured at key spots. That's the way it is. Those injuries would show against ANYONE. Jeff Carter is the leading shot getter on this team. He forces defenses to play us differently in our matchups, and the loss of Carter and Gagne on the PP had drastically reduced our 2nd unit.

You lose two top 6 players and you're going to notice it against the worst team in the league, let alone against one of the best defensive teams in the league.

Quote:
It's not so much losing them in the middle of the playoffs and saying "what can you do?" as it is not having their bases covered. Things might be different if they had Mike Knuble like they should have, and maybe a guy from the Phantoms like Mikael Backlund was for the Flames (even though it was the rest of their team that stunk it up, he played very well). Maybe it would be nice to have an actual 3rd line center on a true shutdown line, allowing other guys to move around up front.
Woulda, coulda, shoulda. They are what they are, and some of those decisions can and should be criticized (particularly Knuble), but that doesn't mean you sit there and ignore reality to criticize a paper team that no longer exists due to injury.

Quote:
Boston lost two defenseman, lost Sturm upon getting Savard back, and lost Krejci for most of the game. But they won.
Boston also plays a style that makes it a LOT easier for them to absorb significant injuries. They've also been getting the bounces. Yesterday they were all over... deflected pass flops down to Lucic in the slot and he blasts it past Boucher... Savard slapping a bouncing puck and it goes top shelf (he had no real idea where that was going to go, was just putting it on net).

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 10:13 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
It's a fine play as long as you make sure you eliminate that man, which he did...only one other Bruin appeared to be of any possible concern, and Pronger was right there. Also, I doubt Richards makes that hit if he doesn't see he's got a backchecker(Carcillo) right there that will be able to get back for the play just in case.
No, the Richards hit on that play is the mistake given that he is a defenseman in that situation, and not a forward. Same reason Dan McGillis washed out of the league after the lockout...classic example of making a hit and taking yourself out of position. Richards eliminated his man, but he played a developing 3 on 2 into a 2 on 1 and Pronger wasn't ready for it, nor does Pronger have the recovery speed at that point to cover it as it developed.

Richards turned a controlled situation into a chaotic broken play and we got burnt.

Richards saw a chance to destroy a guy and went for it...as we've seen him do before.

Old
05-06-2010, 10:18 AM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
No, the Richards hit on that play is the mistake given that he is a defenseman in that situation, and not a forward. Same reason Dan McGillis washed out of the league after the lockout...classic example of making a hit and taking yourself out of position. Richards eliminated his man, but he played a developing 3 on 2 into a 2 on 1 and Pronger wasn't ready for it, nor does Pronger have the recovery speed at that point to cover it as it developed.

Richards turned a controlled situation into a chaotic broken play and we got burnt.

Richards saw a chance to destroy a guy and went for it...as we've seen him do before.
9 times out of 10, making that play turns out just fine for the Flyers and Richards gets praised up and down for it. It wound up being an odd circumstance...but in spite of that, for a multitude of reasons, it still didn't have to be anywhere near as ugly as it was, and that's not on Richards.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 10:21 AM
Jester

Quote:
9 times out of 10, making that play turns out just fine for the Flyers and Richards gets praised up and down for it. It wound up being an odd circumstance...but in spite of that, for a multitude of reasons, it still didn't have to be anywhere near as ugly as it was, and that's not on Richards.
9 times out of 10, Mike Richards attempts that hit while not being one of the D back. It's basically the same play we saw with Briere against Ottawa a couple weeks before the end of the season where he tried to blow a guy up in center ice and left Bartulis out to dry because it turned into a 2 on 1 he wasn't in position to defend.

The problem there is that Pronger is all the way over on the left side of the ice--because Richards is covering the right half--and then suddenly he needs to be in the middle of the ice and can't get there.

There's a reason you almost never see D go for those types of hits...leaves your partner way out of position.

Old
05-06-2010, 10:35 AM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
It's basically the same play we saw with Briere against Ottawa a couple weeks before the end of the season where he tried to blow a guy up in center ice and left Bartulis out to dry because it turned into a 2 on 1 he wasn't in position to defend.
Oh, cut me a break. Richards stepped up and eliminated a man as he was receiving the puck. Briere threw himself towards a guy who had time to react...a guy who had the opportunity to try and go around him, which he did with ease.

Richards knew he was going to get his man, he doesn't step up otherwise. The timing and execution was perfect. What Briere did was just...lol, it was laughable, and not a very good comparison to the Richards play. The circumstances being a bit different makes a HUGE difference in whether their respective thought processes were good or not. Briere had no business even attempting that play...Richards had plenty of business attempting his.

Old
05-06-2010, 10:37 AM
Jester

Quote:
Oh, cut me a break. Richards stepped up and eliminated a man as he was receiving the puck. Briere threw himself towards a guy who already had the puck...a guy who had the opportunity to try and go around him, which he did with ease.

Richards knew he was going to get his man, he doesn't step up otherwise. The timing and execution was perfect. What Briere did was just...lol, it was laughable, and not a very good comparison to the Richards play. The circumstances being a bit different makes a HUGE difference in whether their respective thought processes were good or not. Briere had no business even attempting that play...Richards had plenty of business attempting his.
Both resulted in the SAME EXACT thing: a 2 on 1 the D was not expecting or prepared for once the forward took himself out of the play.

The resulting 2 on 1 is why going for the big hit can be a very bad play.

Old
05-06-2010, 10:42 AM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Both resulted in the SAME EXACT thing: a 2 on 1 the D was not expecting or prepared for once the forward took himself out of the play.

The resulting 2 on 1 is why going for the big hit can be a very bad play.
******** they resulted in the same exact thing. The SAME EXACT thing would have been if Krejci avoided Richards hit with ease and went in on a 2 on 1. For a number of reasons, it was not the SAME EXACT thing. The resulting circumstances were most definitely different from the Briere play. I mean, they're way different, should I continue with all the reasons why?

The combined imcompetence of Carcillo, Pronger, and Boucher was why going for that big hit turned out to be a bad play...along with a touch of bad luck. But I put little to no blame on Richards there.

Old
05-06-2010, 10:46 AM
Jester

Quote:
******** they resulted in the same exact thing. The SAME EXACT thing would have been if Krejci avoided Richards hit with ease and went in on a 2 on 1. For a number of reasons, it was not the SAME EXACT thing. The resulting circumstances were most definitely different from the Briere play. I mean, they're way different, should I continue with all the reasons why?
Yes, I would like an explanation for why a forward creating a 2 on 1 with a hit attempt is somehow different in the "poor decision" understanding of what happened. Just because Richards "got his man" doesn't mean he made the right decision. Richards' decision put Pronger out of position for the play in front of him, and a goal was scored. Briere's decision, put Bartulis out of position for the play in front of him, and a goal was scored.

Quote:
The combined imcompetence of Carcillo, Pronger, and Boucher was why going for that big hit turned out to be a bad play. But I put little to no blame on Richards there.
Which is interesting, because Richards played the strongest hand in how that play played out, cuz no one was prepared for him to make the play he decided to make. If the decision he made was the "correct" one, why is it so rare that you see D make that play in open ice?

Old
05-06-2010, 10:57 AM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Yes, I would like an explanation for why a forward creating a 2 on 1 with a hit attempt is somehow different in the "poor decision" understanding of what happened. Just because Richards "got his man" doesn't mean he made the right decision. Richards' decision put Pronger out of position for the play in front of him, and a goal was scored. Briere's decision, put Bartulis out of position for the play in front of him, and a goal was scored.

Which is interesting, because Richards played the strongest hand in how that play played out, cuz no one was prepared for him to make the play he decided to make. If the decision he made was the "correct" one, why is it so rare that you see D make that play in open ice?
I'm not calling Richards decision the "correct" one. I'm saying it was a fine play. There's more than one way to play many situations. I'm fine with him sitting back there, but given Carcillo's location and direction, I'm also fine with him stepping up on that play. Watch the vid again, no one in their right mind wouldn't have thought in that moment that if they eliminated their man that they'd be creating anything worse than a 1 on 1 with Pronger back there.

Old
05-06-2010, 10:57 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
With whom? We played them well in that series, but they were clearly the better team at the end of the day with better high-end forwards, and their goalie beat us when they needed him to.
That went on for a long time, even after the playoffs were over. Most people here knew we wouldn't have beaten Detroit, so it makes the whole thing not credible to start with.

Quote:
A team that overreached itself. Just like this one has in getting to the 2nd round (purely because of matchups).
The team also had different expectations. Coming off 2007, all most people were looking for was prove they were back in the right direction by making the playoffs.

Quote:
What's amazing is that you spent all year spouting ridiculous dislike of Boucher, and now you're getting on the team in the 2nd round with Boucher as the starting goalie. Below you make a claim that you're trying not to be hypocritical... you are. If Boucher is as bad as you painted him all season long, then this is house money time. And that's before we address the other injuries.
I have not been on Boucher recently, and have recently said that he's earned his keep for next year if only because he already has a contract. It's not hypocritical to acknowledge that the guy has been good but not great. That said, good not great, won't get it done across the board. Boucher may be playing with house money, but the other guys surely are not. Most of the reason is really because I'm tired of talking about the goaltender, but it's another area where they should have done better

Quote:
If the Bruins have been "better pretty much across the board" then I need you to explain to me why they needed OT and a very late goal to win Games 1 & 2 and pretty much lived by bounces last night. Bruins have not been "dominating" this series, they've just been winning it.
They're not dominating, but they've still been the better team in goal, better team on defense, and better team on offense. People thought that the Bruins had a weak defense and if we could walk over the Devils, that the Bruins with a supposed suspect defense and rookie goaltender would pose some problems, but not enough to lose the first 3 games of the series. After Game 1, the Bruins iron-clad PK wasn't so iron clad until, well, Game 2.

You can be better at everything without winning games 6-1.

Quote:
And, just to run your theory up the flag, you don't think Detroit was a true Stanley Cup contender?
I would call the two-time defending conference champions a contender. They're proven. If I was a Red Wings fan I wouldn't on them as hard given what they've accomplished. They're losing to a team who it might very well be their time.

Quote:
No, you're just asking too much. No one has two top 6 players sitting around to plug in and produce at the same level...not to mention a very good PKer lying around (exacerbated by the fact that both the top 6 guys are also PKers). And while I'm more than happy to be critical of the job Homer did with this team -- as you're well aware -- your analysis of this team at his moment in time is pure ridiculousness. They weren't Stanley Cup contenders the moment they decided to make a go of it with Leighton and then Boucher in net. Their chances took an even bigger hit when they lost Carter and Gagne, folowed by Lappy. Those aren't "excuses," those are reality.

However, this isn't about "no room for error." Holmgren could have done his job perfectly this season and we still weren't likely to be a Cup contender lacking Carter, Gagne, and Lappy... and that's just the way it is. Cuz you know what the most notable feature of the games in Boston was? Our top players were exhausted.
They might not have top 6 guys ready to plug in off the taxi squad, but they do have top 6 guys who have come up empty. It got to the point where Laviolette was putting Nodl with Carcillo and Richards and Hartnell was playing the 4th line. That's not a lack of contributions from your taxi squad, that's the players you pay to get the job done - not getting it done.

They're only unreasonable expectations because the Flyers themselves made it so. I'm only holding them to what they expected for themselves, despite what I and a lot of us felt was actually going to happen. Pronger was not the savior as Holmgren tried to advertise. Pronger's been doing his job and for the team itself still not good enough. When they did it though, ALL excuses/rationale was taken off the table as to why they would not get the job done, as I've said.

If that's being unreasonable, it's ONLY because the team was being unreasonable to us. Deep down most of us knew this. I'm only promoting what they're selling. With that, they've opened themselves to this unreasonable, outlier criticism.

Quote:
Boston also plays a style that makes it a LOT easier for them to absorb significant injuries. They've also been getting the bounces. Yesterday they were all over... deflected pass flops down to Lucic in the slot and he blasts it past Boucher... Savard slapping a bouncing puck and it goes top shelf (he had no real idea where that was going to go, was just putting it on net).
Or, they convert on chances. Why did Savard have an opportunity to score in Game 1? Because they got stuck in their zone when Boucher turned the puck over, and had the wrong guys on the ice for a long defensive-zone shift - not long after we failed on a breakaway. Every end has it's beginning.

We only lose because the other team gets a bounce and someone else gets hurt.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 11:00 AM
Jester

Quote:
I'm not calling Richards decision the "correct" one. I'm saying it was a fine play. There's more than one way to play a situation. I'm fine with him sitting back there, but given Carcillo's location, I'm also fine with him stepping up on that play. Watch the vid again, no one in their right mind wouldn't have thought in that moment that if they eliminated their man that they'd be creating anything worse than a 1 on 1 with Pronger back there.
...other than most competent defensemen, who would hold their position and play it as a 3 on 2 with a backchecker coming to help on the high man. The hit also disrupted Carcillo coming back into the play. If Richards doesn't go for that hit, the Bruins may still score, but they're not getting a mini-breakaway out of it, and Pronger doesn't get caught way out of position.

Old
05-06-2010, 11:02 AM
CptCannon

Sometimes I wonder if I'm watching the same games as some of the posters here.

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 11:03 AM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
...other than most competent defensemen, who would hold their position and play it as a 3 on 2 with a backchecker coming to help on the high man. The hit also disrupted Carcillo coming back into the play. If Richards doesn't go for that hit, the Bruins may still score, but they're not getting a mini-breakaway out of it, and Pronger doesn't get caught way out of position.
They're also not getting a mini-breakaway there if Pronger doesn't suddenly morph into Chris Therien's mentally challenged twin.

Old
05-06-2010, 11:05 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

I can't criticize Richie for blowing up Krejci on that play. If our team responds the way it should and we come back and claw out a win, that hit would've been the turning point in the series for us. Unfortunately for us not unlike Carcillo hammering Talbot last year, the team didn't respond to the huge hit/beatdown and we lose.

This team has zero slot presence without Carter's quick wrister and Rask has the bottom covered on the tight reverse wrap around. Point men are covered, adjustments should have been made. It feels like we're playing against the Devils(trap early 2000's) all over again and it sucks.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 11:08 AM
Jester

Quote:
If that's being unreasonable, it's ONLY because the team was being unreasonable to us. Deep down most of us knew this. I'm only promoting what they're selling. With that, they've opened themselves to this unreasonable, outlier criticism.
So, lemme get this straight. You're taking a position (marketed by a business trying to sell ****) that "deep down most of us knew" to be false, accepting that position as a fact...and then using that as a basis to create critical analysis of what is going on out there on the ice?

Another path to take, is to just offer objective analysis and ignore whatever the hell they were saying or not saying. It's not the guys on the ice's fault that Homer isn't good at his job...and it's not their fault that Nodl, Ross, Leino, etc. are poor replacements for Carter, Gagne, and Lappy.

Quote:
Or, they convert on chances. Why did Savard have an opportunity to score in Game 1? Because they got stuck in their zone when Boucher turned the puck over, and had the wrong guys on the ice for a long defensive-zone shift - not long after we failed on a breakaway. Every end has it's beginning.

We only lose because the other team gets a bounce and someone else gets hurt.
Yeah, because our team was exhausted in that OT...because of the type of minutes guys are being forced to play due to injuries. The rash of PKs in the third period of Game 2 killed us, because, again, it forced us to lean heavy on a small group of our best players and then you get the weaker guys out there more in bigger minutes late.

The impact of the injuries has been all over this series.

Old
05-06-2010, 11:11 AM
Jester

Quote:
They're also not getting a mini-breakaway there if Pronger doesn't suddenly morph into Chris Therien's mentally challenged twin.
Pronger doesn't have recovery speed, man. He's shown this all year long. He gets by with just good enough speed, and extremely high hockey IQ. Richards put him in a terrible position with forwards coming at him with speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
I can't criticize Richie for blowing up Krejci on that play. If our team responds the way it should and we come back and claw out a win, that hit would've been the turning point in the series for us. Unfortunately for us not unlike Carcillo hammering Talbot last year, the team didn't respond to the huge hit/beatdown and we lose.
I mean...it's pretty deflating when a goal gets immediately scored.

Quote:
This team has zero slot presence without Carter's quick wrister and Rask has the bottom covered on the tight reverse wrap around. Point men are covered, adjustments should have been made. It feels like we're playing against the Devils(trap early 2000's) all over again and it sucks.
Bruins are doing an excellent job of controlling the slot.

Old
05-06-2010, 11:14 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
So, lemme get this straight. You're taking a position (marketed by a business trying to sell ****) that "deep down most of us knew" to be false, accepting that position as a fact...and then using that as a basis to create critical analysis of what is going on out there on the ice?

Another path to take, is to just offer objective analysis and ignore whatever the hell they were saying or not saying. It's not the guys on the ice's fault that Homer isn't good at his job...and it's not their fault that Nodl, Ross, Leino, etc. are poor replacements for Carter, Gagne, and Lappy.

Yeah, because our team was exhausted in that OT...because of the type of minutes guys are being forced to play due to injuries. The rash of PKs in the third period of Game 2 killed us, because, again, it forced us to lean heavy on a small group of our best players and then you get the weaker guys out there more in bigger minutes late.

The impact of the injuries has been all over this series.
No, it's not marketing. It's not from some commercial I saw. It's from the actions of the organization. Now, they losing, because they weren't good enough. I don't want to hear injuries, because as the team was constructed, they still should be beating the Bruins. Instead it's this, that or the other thing why, and it's ok because the Bruins are lucky and "what can you do?" Injuries happen. You better be ready for them. They weren't, and they're getting burned because of it.

I have my own opinions, I was told I was too negative about it last year. I said from the start that they were unlikely to beat the Penguins (if they're not beating the Bruins, they sure as hell weren't beating the Penguins). So this year, I spit out what the Flyers are giving, and what I'm told I'm supposed to take. You know..."they know better than you that's why you're posting on a message board." And it's STILL the same spiel. Can't have it both ways.

Old
05-06-2010, 11:18 AM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Pronger doesn't have recovery speed, man. He's shown this all year long. He gets by with just good enough speed, and extremely high hockey IQ. Richards put him in a terrible position with forwards coming at him with speed.
Yeah, I'm well aware of his recovery speed. I was speaking more to those sweet moves that made Derian Hatcher look good...from about 0:15-0:17 of that vid.

Old
05-06-2010, 11:20 AM
Jester

Quote:
No, it's not marketing. It's not from some commercial I saw. It's from the actions of the organization. Now, they losing, because they weren't good enough. I don't want to hear injuries, because as the team was constructed, they still should be beating the Bruins. Instead it's this, that or the other thing why, and it's ok because the Bruins are lucky and "what can you do?" Injuries happen. You better be ready for them. They weren't, and they're getting burned because of it.
Dude, it's ALL marketing. They don't have press conferences announcing signings, trades, etc. out of the well of love for the fans in their hearts. They have those things to get the organization in the media so people are aware of 'em and buy tickets. They talk up the team so that people will think it's a good team and want to buy tickets.

And do you seriously think the lineup we are currently trotting out would be a playoff team over 82 games? I don't, but they're playing 'em tough and easily could have won Games 1 & 2 if a bounce here or there went their way.

And as to being "ready" for injuries. You can't be. Welcome to the salary cap era...the days of easily solving injuries is over. Either you are blessed with extreme depth (which you will lose due to salary), or blessed with a very deep farm system...other than that, you're EFFED if you get serious injuries.

Old
05-06-2010, 11:21 AM
Jester

Quote:
Yeah, I'm well aware of his recovery speed. I was speaking more to those sweet moves that made Derian Hatcher look good...from about 0:15-0:17 of that vid.
That's known as the "oh ****" moment when something happens that you're not prepared for.

Old
05-06-2010, 11:23 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:

I mean...it's pretty deflating when a goal gets immediately scored.

Absolutely but there was all kinds of time left. This team was a clusterfuk last night. No organization and no finish when we did manufacture an opportunity. I questioned the heart of this team until I realized that outside of Richards and Lappy there really isn't that much heart on this team. I hope they make me eat my words and actually win a home game in this series. but I won't hold my breath.

Bruins are doing an excellent job of controlling the slot.

I don't see that so much. They're high on our point men and we haven't adjusted with a safety valve for them. There is a huge gap between our forwards and blueliners. I really don't see anyone other than the sidewall on the power play as support and that's not exactly the slot. I've seen JVR maybe once or twice but other than that we don't even attempt to load the slot.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 11:27 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
I don't see that so much. They're high on our point men and we haven't adjusted with a safety valve for them. There is a huge gap between our forwards and blueliners. I really don't see anyone other than the sidewall on the power play as support and that's not exactly the slot. I've seen JVR maybe once or twice but other than that we don't even attempt to load the slot.
You can count on one hand the number of times the puck has gone through the Bruins slot uncontested. They've done a great job of closing on men in the slot, and also having their sticks in the passing lanes to cross the slot.

Old
05-06-2010, 11:32 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Dude, it's ALL marketing. They don't have press conferences announcing signings, trades, etc. out of the well of love for the fans in their hearts. They have those things to get the organization in the media so people are aware of 'em and buy tickets. They talk up the team so that people will think it's a good team and want to buy tickets.

And do you seriously think the lineup we are currently trotting out would be a playoff team over 82 games? I don't, but they're playing 'em tough and easily could have won Games 1 & 2 if a bounce here or there went their way.

And as to being "ready" for injuries. You can't be. Welcome to the salary cap era...the days of easily solving injuries is over. Either you are blessed with extreme depth (which you will lose due to salary), or blessed with a very deep farm system...other than that, you're EFFED if you get serious injuries.
I'm not talking about press conferences. I'm talking about what they're actually doing. I didn't need a press conference to tell me that trading for Pronger meant the Flyers were all-in this year. What I needed, was for the team to be built properly around it's core, which it wasn't. Now our injuries remove more from the equation. They would be handling this better if Holmgren didn't blow it last summer.

Old
05-06-2010, 11:34 AM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
That's known as the "oh ****" moment when something happens that you're not prepared for.
No, that would've been at about the 0:13 mark when the puck squirted loose. He had plenty of time to prepare for playing his man after that. And Lucic didn't exactly make that deft of a play. All Pronger had to do was just keep Lucic in front of him...getting in the path of where that pass wound up going would not have been a tough task. What gave him the desire to continue skating and circle around(with the gracefulness of a Men's C leaguer) rather than just digging in there and getting in the path of where Lucic was obviously going to attempt to send the puck....only god knows.