HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WCSF Gm #3: SJ @ Det (Sharks win 4-3 (OT), lead series 3-0)

Old
05-05-2010, 12:30 AM
Gilligans Island

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by USF Shark View Post
man...watching that game in Toronto, and the bar just went nuts when Marleau scored.
Because the Leafs are pining for him ;-)

Gilligans Island is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 12:31 AM
Thresher

Quote:
man...watching that game in Toronto, and the bar just went nuts when Marleau scored.

They were mostly pro-Sharks at the bar?

Thresher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 12:32 AM
Jovofan

Congrats guys! It's been tons of fun watching the Sharks in the playoffs this year. If anybody remembers me, I'm the closet Sharks fan from Vancouver, the Canucks are still my main team, but I've been cheering for you guys for years and it's amazing to think that SJ is a single victory away from the Western Final.

This is a way different San Jose team than we're used to and they're way more mentally tough than they've been in the past. I think they knew that they choked big time against Anaheim last year and it stung a lot. They've come out in these playoffs with something major to prove and it's pretty damn impressive (or scary) to watch depending on who you are.

They seemed to become a different team after the Dan Boyle own goal. Previous Shark teams would have folded under a blow like that but this one became more united it seems and are actually playing like a playoff team. Even in this series when they trailed going into the 3rd period in both these last two games, Shark teams of yesteryear probably would have lost both of those, this one managed to keep fighting and claw their way back to a victory.

Nabby is playing the best playoff hockey he's ever played and aside from Game 2 against Colorado, he is doing his job and making a lot of timely saves. He really shut the door in the latter half of the 1st round and is doing his job by making key saves against Detroit. I think getting shelled against Canada shook him up a lot and he's playing with some never before seen motivation. He's not at his regular season best and stealing games, but he's not losing any either like he has been prone to do in the past.

Joe Thornton has had a very solid series against the Red Wings IMO. He was really consistent in Game 1 and took over in the 3rd period when the team needed him in both Games 2 and 3 and scored massive goals in both. His goal tonight was a classic power move that isn't normally displayed by him.

Hiring Todd McLellan was such a smart move and he's one of the most underrated coaches in the league IMO and doesn't get enough credit considering how talented the team he's coaching is.

I know the Sharks made the Conference Final a few years ago, but this team seems much more focused and capable of doing something once they reach the Conference Final than that team was. I knew going into this series that the Sharks would need to win at least one game in Detroit if they expected to win it and knowing their history at Joe Louis Arena that's a tough task. For that win to come tonight was a godsend, now losing Game 4 isn't the end of the world for them.

I'm not counting the Wings out yet though, but right now they're on life support. Can't wait for Game 4. GO SHARKS!

Jovofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 12:33 AM
sharkbite3
Don't Go Joe

sharkbite3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 12:37 AM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovofan View Post
I'm not counting the Wings out yet though, but right now they're on life support. Can't wait for Game 4. GO SHARKS!
Yeah, cheers to you dude.... always nice hearing something positive from other teams fans. I'm sure I can speak for a lot of sharks fans when saying we're riding a tentative high. But, it's a high no less.

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 12:38 AM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thresher View Post
If I recall right, CSN said they'd rather spend their time/money on hard news going forward. Ha, as if Brodie's camcorder + 10min of Randy in a robe is a drain on broadcast funds/reporting. Whatev. I call shenanigans.
shenanigans shenanigans!!!!!!

05-05-2010, 12:42 AM
MrEJH
Thanks Markus

Quote:

One. More. Win.
Nine. More. Wins.

MrEJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 12:43 AM
Spacemania
Murray says: Rawr!

Send a message via MSN to Spacemania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
Because the Leafs are pining for him ;-)
What can we get fo-

oh right... damm UFA

Spacemania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 12:44 AM
batboi2688

anyone have the radio call? i watched it on CSN but missed the call because I was going absolutely nuts, found that through the threads here but still looking for the radio call. watching the CSN replay over and over still gives me the chills....

batboi2688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 12:53 AM
estevao
Human Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovofan View Post
Congrats guys! It's been tons of fun watching the Sharks in the playoffs this year. If anybody remembers me, I'm the closet Sharks fan from Vancouver, the Canucks are still my main team, but I've been cheering for you guys for years and it's amazing to think that SJ is a single victory away from the Western Final.

This is a way different San Jose team than we're used to and they're way more mentally tough than they've been in the past. I think they knew that they choked big time against Anaheim last year and it stung a lot. They've come out in these playoffs with something major to prove and it's pretty damn impressive (or scary) to watch depending on who you are.

They seemed to become a different team after the Dan Boyle own goal. Previous Shark teams would have folded under a blow like that but this one became more united it seems and are actually playing like a playoff team. Even in this series when they trailed going into the 3rd period in both these last two games, Shark teams of yesteryear probably would have lost both of those, this one managed to keep fighting and claw their way back to a victory.

Nabby is playing the best playoff hockey he's ever played and aside from Game 2 against Colorado, he is doing his job and making a lot of timely saves. He really shut the door in the latter half of the 1st round and is doing his job by making key saves against Detroit. I think getting shelled against Canada shook him up a lot and he's playing with some never before seen motivation. He's not at his regular season best and stealing games, but he's not losing any either like he has been prone to do in the past.

Joe Thornton has had a very solid series against the Red Wings IMO. He was really consistent in Game 1 and took over in the 3rd period when the team needed him in both Games 2 and 3 and scored massive goals in both. His goal tonight was a classic power move that isn't normally displayed by him.

Hiring Todd McLellan was such a smart move and he's one of the most underrated coaches in the league IMO and doesn't get enough credit considering how talented the team he's coaching is.

I know the Sharks made the Conference Final a few years ago, but this team seems much more focused and capable of doing something once they reach the Conference Final than that team was. I knew going into this series that the Sharks would need to win at least one game in Detroit if they expected to win it and knowing their history at Joe Louis Arena that's a tough task. For that win to come tonight was a godsend, now losing Game 4 isn't the end of the world for them.

Get this man a backup plan avatar

estevao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 12:54 AM
estevao
Human Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by batboi2688 View Post
anyone have the radio call? i watched it on CSN but missed the call because I was going absolutely nuts, found that through the threads here but still looking for the radio call. watching the CSN replay over and over still gives me the chills....
Gimme five or six minutes.

EDIT:
OT goal call: http://www.mediafire.com/?zjziy2tnhh3
Instant Replay (postgame show): http://www.mediafire.com/?kmimzj21jl3

Last edited by estevao: 05-05-2010 at 01:04 AM.
Old
05-05-2010, 01:01 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by estevao View Post
Get this man a backup plan avatar
I've actually been working on a Canucks one. I should have it tomorrow.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 01:01 AM
USF Shark
Zôion politikòn

Quote:
They were mostly pro-Sharks at the bar?
it was more "holy crap! Did that just happen?! Oh snap!"

A drastic change from the game 1 attitude that I got, which was "boy, the chokers almost blew that one"

USF Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 01:09 AM
batboi2688

Quote:

EDIT:
baller dude. thanks a bunch! telling you man, still gives me the chills

batboi2688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 01:13 AM
Eid Ma Clack Shaw

Send a message via AIM to Eid Ma Clack Shaw
Quote:

EDIT:
Thanks for these! I love Dan's calls. I listen to a lot of games on the radio during the season but need to have visual for the playoffs. Dan has the best calls I swear. He SCAAARRRRSSS!

Eid Ma Clack Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 01:29 AM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackholesun View Post
Thanks for these! I love Dan's calls. I listen to a lot of games on the radio during the season but need to have visual for the playoffs. Dan has the best calls I swear. He SCAAARRRRSSS!
Dan on 98.5 FM is great. Dan on AM in Sacto is horrible. His voice just sounds awful in high-pitched mono.

edit: he's a great play-by-play commentator regardless of the sound.

Old
05-05-2010, 01:31 AM
Thresher

itsah consprisaah

Thresher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 01:36 AM
jwhitesj

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarkus View Post
This post with the post above it is just all kinds of wrong...
possibly POTY right here.

jwhitesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 01:40 AM
estevao
Human Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoShark View Post
Dan on 98.5 FM is great. Dan on AM in Sacto is horrible. His voice just sounds awful in high-pitched mono.

edit: he's a great play-by-play commentator regardless of the sound.
Yeah we never pretended that the AM feed was good. Plus, they might have had to take a backup feed at some points, of which I believe there are two for radio affiliates (one is using a phone line - great in a pinch but terrible quality).

Of course, if you really want the best sound quality for Sharks broadcasts...you have to be a radio network engineer.

Listening to KFOX-FM with at least a 5.1 sound system is close to that.

Old
05-05-2010, 01:45 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Quote:

itsah consprisaah
The refs shined light in his eyes when he shot.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 01:46 AM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

Quote:
Yeah we never pretended that the AM feed was good. Plus, they might have had to take a backup feed at some points, of which I believe there are two for radio affiliates (one is using a phone line - great in a pinch but terrible quality).

Of course, if you really want the best sound quality for Sharks broadcasts...you have to be a radio network engineer.
I don't mean anything against anyone involved in the actual broadcast. But you have no idea how bad it sounds here. In downtown Sacramento, where I live, the "regular" AM broadcast is hardly audible. And I mean, painful. I think it comes from Auburn... 950? 970? When 1140 carries a few games, it's not too bad. But it's such a treat to be back in the Bay and hear it in stereo.

Old
05-05-2010, 01:46 AM
sharkbite3
Don't Go Joe

Man, watching that replay, the penalty shot never shoulda happened. Couture pretty clearly just swept the puck under Nabby's pads, never covered it.

sharkbite3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 01:50 AM
estevao
Human Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoShark View Post
I don't mean anything against anyone involved in the actual broadcast. But you have no idea how bad it sounds here. In downtown Sacramento, where I live, the "regular" AM broadcast is hardly audible. And I mean, painful. I think it comes from Auburn... 950? 970? When 1140 carries a few games, it's not too bad. But it's such a treat to be back in the Bay and hear it in stereo.
Yeah, there are 11 affiliates, all AM, and the Sac station...well you know how it works. It's a shame that there are no other FM stations committed to simulcasting, but when you look at the vast array of sporting events that go onto radio...

...almost NONE are on FM radio, and most of the ones that are use phone lines because they are college stations (I know, I did it, I was a college broadcaster before and during my time as a Sharks broadcaster). We really are spoiled with the radio broadcasts (okay, 49ers too now), and it's a shame that more people don't do the "mute the TV, turn up the radio" thing, but Randy and Drew are just that good, too...

Old
05-05-2010, 01:53 AM
Spacemania
Murray says: Rawr!

Send a message via MSN to Spacemania
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackholesun View Post
There awsome, even tho there about the same most of the time I hope to hear a lot of them Thursday since I'll only have radio feed (hopefully)

Spacemania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 01:56 AM
Markus
Registered Lurker

Quote:

EDIT: