HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

WCSF Gm #3: SJ @ Det (Sharks win 4-3 (OT), lead series 3-0)

Old
05-05-2010, 01:57 AM
Chubbs
Toasty

vCash: 500
I hope this joke wasn't made yet.

Chubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 01:57 AM
Spacemania
Murray says: Rawr!

Send a message via MSN to Spacemania
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbite3 View Post
Man, watching that replay, the penalty shot never shoulda happened. Couture pretty clearly just swept the puck under Nabby's pads, never covered it.
I know, I saw it earlier. Unfortunatly, you can kinda see that if from the right angle (I assume the one the ref was in) you can see why they would call that. We know that the refs had it wrong, but given how bad the refs have been this series, it could have been worse. Edit: Yeah, I saw the clip again, I can see how the ref thought the puck was covered. Ref wasn't overhead, he was at an angle. He saw a hand move over the puck, likely couldn't see it, and gave the benifit to the Wings.

Detroit could have scored.

On that note, a YT should be made of that Penilty shot with the caption:

Quote:
what if Nabby choked?

History will be made
Lets face it, if he did choke, Sharks would have folded. As much as we'd love to tell ourselves otherwise, that save was the real turning point in the game, that kept the Sharks in the game, that helped make the score be 3-3 by the end of the third, and helped the Sharks have their chance at glory in overtime.

In fact, if the Sharks close out this series, I will mark that moment as the moment that defined this series.

Last edited by Spacemania: 05-05-2010 at 02:02 AM.
Spacemania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 02:01 AM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

vCash: 50
I didn't think it was a bad call. It was close though.

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 02:03 AM
eddiing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveland View Post
The refs shined light in his eyes when he shot.
the refs are just doing anything they can huh?

eddiing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 02:22 AM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Few observations:
  • Sharks started playing well when Patty was moved off the Jumbo line and Mitchell was inserted.
  • Detroit skated 5 defensemen and 2 are older guys - Wings can't keep up in the third period. Its a good sign for the Sharks.
  • Some pretty good Wings were on the ice for the Setoguchi goal and were beat in one on one battles, including Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Rafalski, and Franzen
  • Surprised Boyle led the team with 8 shots.
  • Pavs was 38% on faceoffs (6wins 10 losses)
  • Sharks have better depth than the Wings but aren't really using it
  • Holmstrom is a consistent problem that still needs to be addressed
  • Happy to see Marleau get a goal (obviously given the circumstance) and hope that gets him going. Its ironic that he was out high off a bad change and got rewarded for being behind the play.
  • Most important goal was Seto's goal 2 seconds before the end of the first period. It kept them in the game.

05-05-2010, 02:35 AM
Improvise
Old School

Send a message via AIM to Improvise
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovofan View Post
Congrats guys! It's been tons of fun watching the Sharks in the playoffs this year. If anybody remembers me, I'm the closet Sharks fan from Vancouver, the Canucks are still my main team, but I've been cheering for you guys for years and it's amazing to think that SJ is a single victory away from the Western Final.

This is a way different San Jose team than we're used to and they're way more mentally tough than they've been in the past. I think they knew that they choked big time against Anaheim last year and it stung a lot. They've come out in these playoffs with something major to prove and it's pretty damn impressive (or scary) to watch depending on who you are.

They seemed to become a different team after the Dan Boyle own goal. Previous Shark teams would have folded under a blow like that but this one became more united it seems and are actually playing like a playoff team. Even in this series when they trailed going into the 3rd period in both these last two games, Shark teams of yesteryear probably would have lost both of those, this one managed to keep fighting and claw their way back to a victory.

Nabby is playing the best playoff hockey he's ever played and aside from Game 2 against Colorado, he is doing his job and making a lot of timely saves. He really shut the door in the latter half of the 1st round and is doing his job by making key saves against Detroit. I think getting shelled against Canada shook him up a lot and he's playing with some never before seen motivation. He's not at his regular season best and stealing games, but he's not losing any either like he has been prone to do in the past.

Joe Thornton has had a very solid series against the Red Wings IMO. He was really consistent in Game 1 and took over in the 3rd period when the team needed him in both Games 2 and 3 and scored massive goals in both. His goal tonight was a classic power move that isn't normally displayed by him.

Hiring Todd McLellan was such a smart move and he's one of the most underrated coaches in the league IMO and doesn't get enough credit considering how talented the team he's coaching is.

I know the Sharks made the Conference Final a few years ago, but this team seems much more focused and capable of doing something once they reach the Conference Final than that team was. I knew going into this series that the Sharks would need to win at least one game in Detroit if they expected to win it and knowing their history at Joe Louis Arena that's a tough task. For that win to come tonight was a godsend, now losing Game 4 isn't the end of the world for them.

I'm not counting the Wings out yet though, but right now they're on life support. Can't wait for Game 4. GO SHARKS!

I don't care if you're not a fan of Marleau or Joe or any of the other guys on the Sharks team or organization, if you can't at least feel a little bit of something for these guys then you aren't a fan of hockey.

Words can't explain how I'm feeling right now. This team did something tonight that no other Sharks team could ever have done. I am scared to say it, but I'm really starting to think this team has the ability to be something special after tonight.

The Wings were backed up against a wall going into this game and they gave everything they had for those first 2 periods. The Sharks just kind of weathered the storm by playing smart and safe hockey, picking their spots wisely but consistently getting beat to the punch, especially in the 1st period.

The Sharks were simply outplayed, outworked, and dominated for most of the 1st period - out-shot 14-8, outscored 2-1, and a couple of bounces away from being down by a couple of more goals.

I thought the Sharks turned it up a notch after Z's goal early in the 2nd, almost as if they were completely content with being down by 1 goal going into the 3rd period but not 2. The teams exchanged chances for the rest of the 2nd period and Wings go up 3-1 into the 3rd period.

It almost seemed like the Wings were now perfectly content with a 2 goal lead and the Sharks turned into the aggressors in that 3rd period. I'm not saying the Sharks just flat out dominated the Wings in the 3rd, but they clearly upped their level of play and took the game over by attacking and hustling and winning individual battles all over the ice to control the puck.

We saw it in game 6 in Colorado after the Sharks lost the lead in the 3rd period and we saw it tonight when the Sharks went down by 2 - especially in the 3rd period.

Any team that can step it up a notch and completely take the game over and dominate when they need to is scary.

A team that can do it in the playoffs - on the road, to close out one series and go up by 3 wins in another - has the ability to be special.

The only thing scarier than the Sharks possessing the talent and heart to turn it up a notch and take a game over when they want to is knowing it.

For just one night, I'm going to forget about the past and not think about the future because this win was truly inspiring. It is what hockey is all about. Hell, it is what sports are all about.

I hope the team sleeps well tonight, they deserve it.

Improvise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 02:47 AM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
Few observations:
  • Sharks started playing well when Patty was moved off the Jumbo line and Mitchell was inserted.
  • Detroit skated 5 defensemen and 2 are older guys - Wings can't keep up in the third period. Its a good sign for the Sharks.
  • Some pretty good Wings were on the ice for the Setoguchi goal and were beat in one on one battles, including Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Rafalski, and Franzen
  • Surprised Boyle led the team with 8 shots.
  • Pavs was 38% on faceoffs (6wins 10 losses)
  • Sharks have better depth than the Wings but aren't really using it
  • Holmstrom is a consistent problem that still needs to be addressed
  • Happy to see Marleau get a goal (obviously given the circumstance) and hope that gets him going. Its ironic that he was out high off a bad change and got rewarded for being behind the play.
  • Most important goal was Seto's goal 2 seconds before the end of the first period. It kept them in the game.
That's how much of a problem it is, and how badly it needs to be addressed. I have no idea why Boyle is the one that is always grappling with Holmstrom in front of the net. That responsibility should rest SOLELY on the shoulders of Douglas Murray. He and Blake are the only two defensemen on this team that can handle Holmstrom in front of the net, and considering Murray-Boyle gets the majority of minutes against the Datsyuk-Holmstrom line, they need to have Murray, not Boyle, on him.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 02:53 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Congrats on the win guys...looks like you've finally overcome those playoff demons.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 02:56 AM
estevao
Human Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Improvise View Post
I thought the Sharks turned it up a notch after Z's goal early in the 2nd, almost as if they were completely content with being down by 1 goal going into the 3rd period but not 2. The teams exchanged chances for the rest of the 2nd period and Wings go up 3-1 into the 3rd period.

It almost seemed like the Wings were now perfectly content with a 2 goal lead and the Sharks turned into the aggressors in that 3rd period. I'm not saying the Sharks just flat out dominated the Wings in the 3rd, but they clearly upped their level of play and took the game over by attacking and hustling and winning individual battles all over the ice to control the puck.
This is actually how I thought of everything going down. Obviously I WANTED to win and in the third period I was stressing out about it, but as long as we kept the margin containable at 2 goals or less, and responded well to it, I felt comfortable that we could make some magic happen in the third, as we have done numerous times in the playoffs and even since the harsh losing streak.

In the last six games, this team has operated from behind in three and doled out a deluge of goals in the other three. In fact, looking at the postseason as a whole, I think that the REAL turning point was Game 2 vs. Colorado.

Remember that one?

The CRAZIEST game in Sharks history.
For two days...

estevao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 03:00 AM
SharksFan

Can't think of anything except Holmstrom throwing Boyle at Nabby to gif and that's not even worth it, oh well.

SharksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 03:03 AM
SharksFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
Few observations:
Marleau was surprisingly in the defensive play very fast for having such a badly timed change, nearly instantly - that changing line was tired and may have done more harm than good by not changing (even assuming the Sharks didn't get that opportunity). Thornton was the one pretty high up.

Patty just let his long stride do the work for him and propelled himself faster than any of the Red Wings could sprint - his speed, not his luck, got him that one.

SharksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 03:06 AM
Thresher

If anyone is curious to see the Wings pregame ceremony:

(not that you can really see all that much until the 4min mark)

Thresher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 03:06 AM
sharkbite3
Don't Go Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksFan View Post
Can't think of anything except Holmstrom throwing Boyle at Nabby to gif and that's not even worth it, oh well.
The Zetterberg kick?

sharkbite3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 03:10 AM
Spacemania
Murray says: Rawr!

Send a message via MSN to Spacemania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Congrats on the win guys...looks like you've finally overcome those playoff demons.
not to be pesimistic... but I wouldn't say that until we get Win 4

Spacemania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 03:24 AM
NeverSayNever
ESPN NHL rly ♥s Teal

A gutsy win, for sure.
Yay for Patty and Jumbo!

However, while being 3 up is a whole lot nicer than losing or tied in the series, it is quite exhausting to even think that they still need 9 more wins to hoist the Cup.

I really hope they can wrap this series up in four (or five at max), so they get some time to recharge.
In any case, it is nice to know where they are going to be starting their next series, should they advance.

Is two in a row at the Joe too much to ask?
LET'S DO IT!!

NeverSayNever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 05:42 AM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thresher View Post
If anyone is curious to see the Wings pregame ceremony:

(not that you can really see all that much until the 4min mark)

Lame ...

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 06:15 AM
estevao
Human Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverSayNever View Post
A gutsy win, for sure.
Yay for Patty and Jumbo!

However, while being 3 up is a whole lot nicer than losing or tied in the series, it is quite exhausting to even think that they still need 9 more wins to hoist the Cup.

I really hope they can wrap this series up in four (or five at max), so they get some time to recharge.
In any case, it is nice to know where they are going to be starting their next series, should they advance.

Is two in a row at the Joe too much to ask?
LET'S DO IT!!
Well it's one in a row now

I wouldn't be worried about the '9 wins' that we need. This team is playing "one-game-at-a-time" hockey, and I can guarantee you that if they hadn't been doing so this whole time, we would have lost Game 2 and Game 6 against Colorado and not be in this position. The Sharks have played 8 close games out of 9 this postseason and the Game 2 performance against Colorado really was the lynchpin.

Also this team can rail off 9 wins in a month, no problem. We've seen it LOTS - that's NOT the issue here.

This team is like the reverse of the Giants - the Giants know that they're going to be fighting all year to win low-scoring games, relying on their pitching. The Sharks know that they're never out of a game as long as they can keep the pressure on, then fire a deluge of pucks at the net in the 3rd period. Tense, stressful gameplay both ways, but totally different methods.

estevao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 07:34 AM
ACABrad

Congrats Sharks on the great comeback win last night. I only caught the 3 period on in the game, but it was great to watch. I am looking forward to anyone knocking the Wings out of the playoffs.

ACABrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 08:20 AM
Los Tiburones

Anyone else hoping that Hawks/Nucks goes 7 physical games?

Los Tiburones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 08:24 AM
shoot the puck

Amazing game. I'm just so happy Marleau got the game winner. Man did he need it. Hopefully this will get him going.

shoot the puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 08:29 AM
fxhomie

Red Wings had their fun in the sun, but it's time for a change. Hopeful for a sweep, if nothing else to shut the mouths of those arrogant Wings fans. Go Sharks!!!!!

fxhomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 08:34 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
I hope this joke wasn't made yet.

Nice

05-05-2010, 08:38 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemania View Post
Lets face it, if he did choke, Sharks would have folded. As much as we'd love to tell ourselves otherwise, that save was the real turning point in the game, that kept the Sharks in the game, that helped make the score be 3-3 by the end of the third, and helped the Sharks have their chance at glory in overtime.

In fact, if the Sharks close out this series, I will mark that moment as the moment that defined this series.
I couldn't agree more. In the past, if Nabby had about a 3.00 GAA in the first 3 games of a series, we would be killing him. But really....he's been good. Not perfect, but quite good. 2 goals last night off skates and stopped a penalty shot. I just hope that he doesn't get overshadowed by Joe $$$ and Big Joe having a good playoffs.

SpinTheBlackCircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 08:56 AM
hockeyball

So when we close out the series, will we win 4-3 again?

Also, I was thinking about poor JR last night. The guy must be totally bummed. He should have made it one more year :\

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 09:38 AM
rban*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Glory View Post
That's how much of a problem it is, and how badly it needs to be addressed. I have no idea why Boyle is the one that is always grappling with Holmstrom in front of the net. That responsibility should rest SOLELY on the shoulders of Douglas Murray. He and Blake are the only two defensemen on this team that can handle Holmstrom in front of the net, and considering Murray-Boyle gets the majority of minutes against the Datsyuk-Holmstrom line, they need to have Murray, not Boyle, on him.
Trouble is Detroit has three, perhaps even four Holstroms, spread across three separate lines....I'm talking about Franzen, and to a lesser extent, Cleary and Bertuzzi. All big strong forwards who park themselves in front of the net.

It'd take four Douglas Murrays to control them all, and Sharks only have one of him. As it is Murray is tangling with Bertuzzi a lot, I believe.

In my mind, this is the x-factor that makes Wings tough.. even more so than Lidstrom/Rafalski/Zburg/Datsuk.

Time is on our side tho. Holstrom is getting up there in age, as is Bertuzzi. In time they will retire, which'll leave Wings with a very good Franzen and a far less talented Cleary.

Which is much more manageable than four behemoths spread across three lines.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote