HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

HFBoards Posters

Old
05-05-2010, 12:35 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

vCash: 500
HFBoards Posters

I've been reading the Detroit's game thread tonight and it is eerily similar to the Canucks game thread when the Kings won.

**** the nhl **** the refs **** this **** that...

I appreciate the Kings board because I see very little of this (although I have seen it).

I've been watching hockey a long time and I must say I believe the refereeing to be top notch, perhaps the best in all of sports. I have seen very few mistakes and a professionalism that is tough to match by other sports.

But I digress. My real topic here is HF Boards posters.

I guess there are just far too many kids here. Or maybe immature adults. In any event, this kind of posting makes me ill. I much rather chat the game up in a mature manner, with intelligent posters. I find this Kings board to be among the best. Maybe the other boards (read: Wings, Habs, Canucks) have far too many kids.

I don't know.

Some team boards are definitely better than others (overall). But disappointed fans in their own team blaming the refs and blaming the NHL is very distasteful.

Thanks Kings board for being quite professional and entertaining.

Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 12:53 AM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

man **** the nhl and their corrupt ****ing refs

DAkings20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 01:03 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Yeah, my whole point on the Stanley Cup playoffs boards was this:

"If you really believe that, then why do you watch?"

It's a question that is ultimately unanswerable by those who post such things.

Old
05-05-2010, 01:08 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Whining in general, and whining about reffing in particular, gets worse online every year - and it's not just limited to hockey. It's all sports. Every sports forum I go to has this issue. I see it more in blogs and articles online as well.

I do think that one of the reasons HFBoards has as many members as it does (70,000+) is because the forums are moderated pretty strictly compared to other sites. People, in general, like not having to wade through rivers of crap all the time to get to decent posts... at least the people that are active members here. Strict moderation is not everyone's cup of tea.

The amount of whining that goes on particularly around playoff time is still tough to stomach. I think you'll see a more concerted effort to curb it starting next season. It's definitely something the admins and moderators are aware of.

I'm obviously biased saying this, but I think the Kings forum and Kings fans in general are a pretty tolerant fan base compared to others. Part of it is that we're a pretty humble bunch, and a little humility online goes a very long way. We know the Kings franchise has been the NHL's doormat for a long time. There's only so much chest-thumping any of us are going to do until we have a few more banners in the Staples rafters we can point to (and one in particular ).

In general, you will find more relatively civilized conversation in the individual team forums as opposed to the more site neutral forums like the SC Playoffs forum. The team forums are far stricter in terms of who can post there and what can be posted - particularly if you're not a fan of that team. Since the SC Playoffs Forum is site neutral, you'll get a LOT of posters from other teams in there needling fans of teams they don't like (such as the entire Edmonton and Calgary fan base giving Vancover a bad time). Then people get defensive, and it snowballs.

Anyhoo... hope that provides a bit more insight into what you've been experiencing, and why it's "better" in some forums vs. others. It continues to be a work in progress.

FWIW - The Detroit forum's GDT for tonight's game is relatively civilized all things considered. I haven't looked at the SC Playoffs forum GDT for the game yet but given your comments I'm not in any hurry to now.

Last edited by TonySCV: 05-05-2010 at 01:22 AM.
TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 01:24 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Yes, thank you, I appreciate your thorough post.

Kings fans have no choice but to be humble. We have gone through the longest drought of any team without a title, save St. Louis (we are even).

Chicago has the longest streak to date, dating back to 1961. But they have won a Stanley Cup.

So has Toronto, which dates back to 1967. Just a few months later, the Kings were born.

I have waited a long time for a SC, but I have faith that it will happen next year, especially if we get a scorer. This team is on the cusp of greatness; I can feel it.

Anyway, to the point of this thread: Even though I am biased as well, I do believe Kings are fans are among the best in the NHL. We are very similar to Cubs fans: we love our team, no matter what happens.

Here is to a great 2011: I can't wait to see Drew lift that cup.

Old
05-05-2010, 08:08 AM
BigBrown
They did it again!

I think it's just the nature of being completely anonymous that makes a large portion of normal people into insufferable kids. Honestly this is a problem anywhere you look on the internet. Either you moderate heavily to filter out most of the trolls, meme's and idiots or you let it go and watch your website turn into a hub of hate, which seem to happen to all unmoderated forums once they reach a certain size.

The best websites and communities are the small ones. Overall I think HFBoards does a great job dealing with so many people.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 08:56 AM
Habstract

I went twice to the main board over the last year. I couldn't help it when I read some of those messages. I got out of there with a 30 days warning..

With the success, will come the bandwagons and the trolls. sad.

Last edited by Habstract: 05-05-2010 at 09:14 AM.
Habstract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 11:38 AM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
So . . . your saying I should join the Habs, Wings & Canucks section of HF?

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 06:35 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post
I think it's just the nature of being completely anonymous that makes a large portion of normal people into insufferable kids. Honestly this is a problem anywhere you look on the internet. Either you moderate heavily to filter out most of the trolls, meme's and idiots or you let it go and watch your website turn into a hub of hate, which seem to happen to all unmoderated forums once they reach a certain size.

The best websites and communities are the small ones. Overall I think HFBoards does a great job dealing with so many people.
This is a good point.
Most online games and large boards give this a thought.
As soon as you type a word like ****, idiot, **** and press enter
you are locked out for 1 day.
I would love to see this here.
Of course they should filter every Habs player

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote