HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Durable sticks for street hockey

Old
05-03-2010, 02:56 PM
SkateSave

vCash: 500
Durable sticks for street hockey

I play alot of street and ball hockey and I'm tired having a stick reduced to a toothpick in about 3 weeks. I just want a stick that's relatively cheap, durable and adequate in terms of quality. I know some brands sell street hockey sticks but are they any good?

Again, I'm not looking for a crazy good stick, just something to play pick up with or practice with that won't die quickly from wear and tear.

Input appreciated.

SkateSave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 03:34 PM
Hrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkateSave View Post
I play alot of street and ball hockey and I'm tired having a stick reduced to a toothpick in about 3 weeks. I just want a stick that's relatively cheap, durable and adequate in terms of quality. I know some brands sell street hockey sticks but are they any good?

Again, I'm not looking for a crazy good stick, just something to play pick up with or practice with that won't die quickly from wear and tear.

Input appreciated.
SAME PROBLEM HERE!

What I recently decided to do, is invest in a shaft and just stick a blade in there. Once it gets reduced, just swap out the blade for another one. Blades are cheaper than a whole other stick.

This way you can invest in a nicer shaft as well, and be the best street hockey player in town. I'm using a One95 shaft at this time

Hrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 04:00 PM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrad View Post
SAME PROBLEM HERE!

What I recently decided to do, is invest in a shaft and just stick a blade in there. Once it gets reduced, just swap out the blade for another one. Blades are cheaper than a whole other stick.

This way you can invest in a nicer shaft as well, and be the best street hockey player in town. I'm using a One95 shaft at this time
This is really all you can do. The pavement will eat away at whatever blade you stick in there. Composite, plastic, wood...pavement wins the fight every time.

1Knee1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 04:05 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrad View Post
SAME PROBLEM HERE!

Gentlemen, I present to you the saviour for street players everywhere: The ABS blade/sticks

RBK 1K 1st gen
some early CCM vectors
Reebok SHK
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-h...abs-sr-09.html
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/tps-hock...w2-abs-sr.html
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/reebok-h...ade-2k-sr.html
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-s...-blade-sr.html

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 04:32 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Love the Montreal M95 blades for outdoor, they have an ABS core but wood on top so they are super stiff and durable.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 06:08 PM
LarryO

I put THIS in a composite shaft. It's not quite as stiff as a regular blade but a it's lot stiffer than a typical street hockey blade, more than stiff enough for playing with a ball. And it costs a lot less.

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 06:32 PM
robmneilson

I use a Montreal/Frontier stick for street hockey. Its durable, has a plastic blade...and the JR version of the stick is about the same weight as a One90.

robmneilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 06:43 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
A friend tried an ABS for street. It lasts longer but he hates it. When it starts to wear down it's like wood because the fibers catch the pavement.

Gonna stick with the plastic blade. Wears down a bit quicker, but more ice-like in how it slides along the ground.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 11:18 PM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

I don't know why anyone would use a OPS for street hockey. Nothing beats an aluminum, those things are bullet proof and blades can be easily replaced. Besides, you can usually pick em up at garage sales for really cheap.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 12:05 AM
hof2120

When I play street hockey I use my composite OPS, I just put 3 or 4 strips on the bottom,I mean by the end it's gone but there's not much wear on the blade. I could probably make it better by taping the full blade but for some reason lately I've been using the Briere tape job.

hof2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 12:28 AM
Hyperkookeez*

two piece composites

I use a jr Koho 2 piece I had laying around from when I was younger. Light, whippy and it's not too short for someone of average height(shoulder height like the Russians used to do)

Hyperkookeez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 04:06 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hof2120 View Post
When I play street hockey I use my composite OPS, I just put 3 or 4 strips on the bottom,I mean by the end it's gone but there's not much wear on the blade. I could probably make it better by taping the full blade but for some reason lately I've been using the Briere tape job.
Thats really stupid, but if you have the money then more power to you

Old
05-04-2010, 04:28 PM
noobman

I don't know if these are still made, but fibreglass sticks seem to hold up extremely well. I started using my old fibreglass hockey stick for road hockey and the blade has barely been worn down.

The other option is to just buy a street hockey stick, which will usually have a wooden shaft and a plastic blade. I had one with a pretty decent plastic blade, but I snapped the shaft in two on a slapshot.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 06:28 PM
Stefan It Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Love the Montreal M95 blades for outdoor, they have an ABS core but wood on top so they are super stiff and durable.
+1 for ABS blades in a composite shaft. ABS blades were made for abrasive concrete/asphalt.

Stefan It Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 09:04 PM
AIREAYE

Just bought the 2010 Easton ABS stick, will let you know how it performs...initial impression: sick paint job, quite heavy

Old
05-04-2010, 09:20 PM
hof2120

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Thats really stupid, but if you have the money then more power to you
Oh, I buy really cheap sticks. I don't have like S19's or One95s or anything lol. Also, a buddy of mine works at Dick's Sporting Goods and he hates his job so he puts stickers from Easton wood sticks that are like $25 on composite (They're not good ones, like SE2's, S5's or ST611's) sticks and then rings me up. I know it's dishonest but whatever, I'm broke. I'll take what I can get.

Old
05-04-2010, 09:53 PM
JustinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by budster View Post
I don't know why anyone would use a OPS for street hockey. Nothing beats an aluminum, those things are bullet proof and blades can be easily replaced. Besides, you can usually pick em up at garage sales for really cheap.
Yup I use the same aluminum stick I've had for about 10 years now and I usually buy a koho fibre glass blade.

JustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 04:04 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Oh, I buy really cheap sticks. I don't have like S19's or One95s or anything lol. Also, a buddy of mine works at Dick's Sporting Goods and he hates his job so he puts stickers from Easton wood sticks that are like $25 on composite (They're not good ones, like SE2's, S5's or ST611's) sticks and then rings me up. I know it's dishonest but whatever, I'm broke. I'll take what I can get.
He hates his job? I would love to work at a sporting goods store, and I think what your friend's doing is illegal....

Old
05-05-2010, 05:14 PM
hof2120

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
He hates his job? I would love to work at a sporting goods store, and I think what your friend's doing is illegal....
Yeah, idk why he hates it. I work at a damn gas station, I'd love to have his job. But yeah I know it's illegal but I guess I'll take advantage of it.

Old
05-05-2010, 05:19 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Yeah, idk why he hates it. I work at a damn gas station, I'd love to have his job. But yeah I know it's illegal but I guess I'll take advantage of it.
You do realize that the both of you would go down for theft under $5000 if you/he got caught, and perhaps for more than that if they can prove it's on-going behavior?

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 05:24 PM
hof2120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
You do realize that the both of you would go down for theft under $5000 if you/he got caught, and perhaps for more than that if they can prove it's on-going behavior?
If his managers weren't a bunch of stoners and burnouts I'd be worried, but they are. So I'm not.