HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues FA's - Who stays/who goes?

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2004, 02:51 PM
DaBo

vCash: 500
Blues FA's - Who stays/who goes?

Murray Baron, (III)
Dallas Drake, (III)
Jeff Finley, (III)
Alexander Khavanov, (III)
Al MacInnis, (III)
Steve Martins, (III)
Scott Mellanby, (III)
Chris Osgood, (III)
Scott Pellerin, (III)
Pascal Rheaume, (III)
Mike Sillinger, (III)
Eric Weinrich, (III)

Marc Brown, (VI)
Reinhard Divis, (VI)
Ryan Ready, (VI)
Cody Rudkowsky, (VI)

Christian Backman, (II)
Eric Boguniecki, (II)
Petr Cajanek, (II)
Mike Danton, (II)
Pavol Demitra, (II)
Barrett Jackman, (II)
Ryan Johnson, (II)
Christian Laflamme, (II)
Jamal Mayers, (II)
Chris Pronger, (II)
Mark Rycroft, (II)
Levente Szuper, (II)
Matt Walker, (II)

This is a list of the Blues players who are FA's.... Who do you think will stay and who will go???

I don't speculate, I leave that to my friends, so have at it.

Old
05-11-2004, 03:12 PM
coolhandluke2410
"BleedBlue44"

Send a message via AIM to coolhandluke2410 Send a message via Yahoo to coolhandluke2410
I want Drake to stay, and I hope he does! Weinrich and Sillinger also

Old
05-11-2004, 04:02 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Referring to the non-UFA's....

STAYING: Drake (and stick him on the 3rd line), Martins (PK'er and on 4th line if Danton goes to prison), Sillinger (as the 3rd line center), Weinrich (1 year to help mentor the defense), Divis (backup goalie).

I'd like MacInnis to stay but am assuming he's done so that would be a moot point. (If he comes back, it will be for one more year with the Blues.)

COULD CARE LESS: Rheaume (does nothing for me), Brown, Ready, Rudkowsky, Osgood (if we don't keep Divis..and it would be for 1 year only)

-- IIRC, Pellerin said he was retiring...but I could have misheard that.

Everyone else that's not RFA is gone IMO. (Yes, that includes Khavanov.)

As far as RFA's go, qualify everyone but Mayers and LaFlamme. I could care less about Ryan Johnson but he'll end up staying. Demitra may get moved at the draft making him a moot point....I'd qualify him only to be able to trade him later on. If we don't trade him and his arbitration award is too high, we can walk away from it and not lose anything. (Plus, teams would have to sign him for at least 80% of the Blues offer or they'd get the right to match a la Bryan Berard and Boston...so the Blues could hang him out to dry with the right proposal to him.)

Cajanek would get qualified...but he's on a short plank over the trade waters.

05-11-2004, 04:36 PM

Where'd you hear Pellerin was retiring?

Old
05-11-2004, 08:02 PM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues
Cajanek would get qualified...but he's on a short plank over the trade waters.
I disagree with the 2nd half of that statement. His job is as secure as almost anyone's. In his two years hear he has shown that when you put him with good players he will be very productive.

Old
05-12-2004, 01:44 AM
gopher

Send a message via ICQ to gopher
divis has already signed a 2-year contract

Old
05-12-2004, 09:44 AM
markus1

Send a message via AIM to markus1
Stay: Pronger, Drake, Sillinger, Weinrich, Ready, Cajanek, Jackman, Johnson, Backman and MAYBE Baron and Rycroft.

Everybody else, adios!

Old
05-12-2004, 02:27 PM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210
Where'd you hear Pellerin was retiring?
I thought I'd heard him make a statement to that effect after the playoffs started...but again - I could easily be wrong.

AFA Cajanek...yes he can produce when paired with talent. He can also disappear for stretches during the season (see: 2003-04) and his recovery time can be measured by geological ages...which bothers me. If he produces and can step up when needed, fine. If he's going to score 20-55-75 but 1-2-3 in the 3rd period when the Blues need a goal to tie or take the lead, let him be someone else's enigma.

Old
05-12-2004, 03:41 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
I thought I'd heard him make a statement to that effect after the playoffs started...but again - I could easily be wrong.

AFA Cajanek...yes he can produce when paired with talent. He can also disappear for stretches during the season (see: 2003-04) and his recovery time can be measured by geological ages...which bothers me. If he produces and can step up when needed, fine. If he's going to score 20-55-75 but 1-2-3 in the 3rd period when the Blues need a goal to tie or take the lead, let him be someone else's enigma.
People forget that because he is an older player that he has only played 2 years in the NHL. Yes, he disapeared for a long stretch this year, but considering NO ONE PRODUCED FOR TWO MONTHs, he is not alone. As for the injury recovery time, so what. Bogie and Jackman came back way too soon and we know the results of that. Part of his low production was the sheit system, I would be more conserned if next season he was in the - side on the +/- in the 3rd period rather the scoring 500 pts, if he is the 3rd line center as he was for most of the year.

Old
05-12-2004, 03:47 PM
Frenzy1

Murray Baron, (III) Let go
Dallas Drake, (III) Sign and trade at deadline (if possible)
Jeff Finley, (III) Let go
Alexander Khavanov, (III) Sign for 800,000. Looked decent under K
Al MacInnis, (III) Retire
Steve Martins, (III) Let go. Blake evans can come in
Scott Mellanby, (III) Let go.
Chris Osgood, (III) Resign for 2.5
Scott Pellerin, (III) Let go
Pascal Rheaume, (III) Let go
Mike Sillinger, (III) Resign for 1.5
Eric Weinrich, (III) Resign if NO OFFENSIVE D MAN comes in

Marc Brown, (VI) Let GO
Reinhard Divis, (VI) Let Go
Ryan Ready, (VI) Give to Icecats
Cody Rudkowsky, (VI) Let Go

Christian Backman, (II) Qualify
Eric Boguniecki, (II) Qualify
Petr Cajanek, (II) Qualify
Mike Danton, (II) Wait and See
Pavol Demitra, (II) Resign for 4.5 mill
Barrett Jackman, (II) Qualify
Ryan Johnson, (II) Qualify
Christian Laflamme, (II) Resign, 2 way deal
Jamal Mayers, (II) Qualify
Chris Pronger, (II) Resign
Mark Rycroft, (II) Qualify
Levente Szuper, (II) Resign, 2 way deal
Matt Walker, (II) Qualify

Old
05-12-2004, 05:44 PM
kimzey59

Quote:

How many players had 70+ points this year?
Why do you expect a mid-level player like Cajanek to score at nearly a PPG pace? IMO that is very unrealistic expectations on your part. Cajanek has proven himself to be a good/great defensive forward(even with his bad year this season he still led the Blues forwards in the +/- column). He has also shown playmaking ability and the hands to finish when given the chance. He is exactly the type of cheap, mid-level talent we need more of. Qualify him, he is one of the most versatile players on the team(next to Drake and Sillinger).

Oh, and BTW, only 20 players in the entire league had 70+ points this year.

Old
05-13-2004, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1
Ryan Ready, (VI) Give to Icecats
Pass....

Old
05-13-2004, 11:17 AM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59
How many players had 70+ points this year?
Why do you expect a mid-level player like Cajanek to score at nearly a PPG pace? IMO that is very unrealistic expectations on your part. Cajanek has proven himself to be a good/great defensive forward(even with his bad year this season he still led the Blues forwards in the +/- column). He has also shown playmaking ability and the hands to finish when given the chance. He is exactly the type of cheap, mid-level talent we need more of. Qualify him, he is one of the most versatile players on the team(next to Drake and Sillinger).

Oh, and BTW, only 20 players in the entire league had 70+ points this year.
Perhaps you misunderstood what I meant....

I'm not saying I want Cajanek to be a PPG player - I just want consistency. Cory Stillman is the picture of what consistency can mean to a team. Yes, he's been a key to the Lightning's great season and playoff run...because he has pretty much scored consistently. He had a 20-game stretch in November and December when he scored 5 points (count 'em, five) and the Lightning struggled as a result. Also, Stillman was counted on to be one of Tampa's best players and he has been there in the clutch - something he rarely did here in St. Louis, when he would scored 7 times in 10 games, then go 25 games without a goal only to suddenly get hot for 9 in 15. Obviously, scoring in bunches worked well for the team....which is why we traded him to Tampa in the offseason. (Yeah, his salary was a factor as well....but his maddening inconsistency his last 2 seasons here was the main reason he was shipped. Had he been able to score consistently, Bill Laurie and Larry Pleau would have found $2.1 million to keep him.)

How many times can we point to our best players and say, "Yep, Walt came through when we needed him", "Yep, Pavol stepped up in the clutch" and so on? A few times, ESPECIALLY early in the regular season...but as the heat got turned up our guys wilted faster than a dandelion in Death Valley. IF Cajanek can show that he's not Demitra Jr., then fine - qualify him, play him as the #1/#2 center, all that good stuff. But if he's going to be a great regular season player and a non-existant playoff player.....well, I think we all know how we feel about those kind of guys after the last 2 playoff series.

*That* is the point I was trying to make.

Old
05-13-2004, 07:54 PM
degroat*

Cajanek and Demitra are completely different players.

Old
05-13-2004, 08:55 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Perhaps you misunderstood what I meant....

I'm not saying I want Cajanek to be a PPG player - I just want consistency. Cory Stillman is the picture of what consistency can mean to a team. Yes, he's been a key to the Lightning's great season and playoff run...because he has pretty much scored consistently. He had a 20-game stretch in November and December when he scored 5 points (count 'em, five) and the Lightning struggled as a result. Also, Stillman was counted on to be one of Tampa's best players and he has been there in the clutch - something he rarely did here in St. Louis, when he would scored 7 times in 10 games, then go 25 games without a goal only to suddenly get hot for 9 in 15. Obviously, scoring in bunches worked well for the team....which is why we traded him to Tampa in the offseason. (Yeah, his salary was a factor as well....but his maddening inconsistency his last 2 seasons here was the main reason he was shipped. Had he been able to score consistently, Bill Laurie and Larry Pleau would have found $2.1 million to keep him.)

How many times can we point to our best players and say, "Yep, Walt came through when we needed him", "Yep, Pavol stepped up in the clutch" and so on? A few times, ESPECIALLY early in the regular season...but as the heat got turned up our guys wilted faster than a dandelion in Death Valley. IF Cajanek can show that he's not Demitra Jr., then fine - qualify him, play him as the #1/#2 center, all that good stuff. But if he's going to be a great regular season player and a non-existant playoff player.....well, I think we all know how we feel about those kind of guys after the last 2 playoff series.

*That* is the point I was trying to make.
First off, Stillman was asking for 3.5 mil in his arbitration case coming off a career season. He would have won. 2.1 mil was NEVER a figure to think about in Stillmans case. Money is the reason we traded Stillman, not because of his inconsistency.

Secondly, Cajanek is as consistent as any player on the team in the defensive zone. I know people expect more offensively from him but Cajanek is one of the top defensive players on the team(if not the League). Calling him "inconsistent" because of his offensive production(in a year where EVERYONE had a bad season offensively) is almost laughable. How many points was Cajanek supposed to get playing with such great snipers as Jamal Mayers and Eric Nicklas? Look at what happened when he was put with talent: 5 points in 7 games with Tkachuk and Demitra(the first time that combo was put together(under Q)). He is not an enigma, he is a good player playing with muckers and borderline AHL'ers. Look at what Weight did with muckers on his wings and he is regarded as one of the best playmakers in the NHL.

Thirdly, Cajanek and Demitra do not play the same style of game. Demitra is an offensive player. He pays little attention to D and focuses solely on setting up Walt. Cajanek is a DEFENSIVE oriented player. His game revolves around Q's basic system(which is also D oriented) of sound Defensive positiong leading to offensive rushes. I really wish people would stop refering to Cajanek as if he were an offensive player. He's NOT. He has offensive upside but his game is built around solid positioning in the defensive zone. Making any comparrison between Cajanek and Demitra is flawed at the basic levels. Demitra is paid to score and doesn't do it in the clutch. Cajanek is paid to be our top PK guy and provide timely offense. Considering how the rest of the team did this year I'd say Cajanek filled his role to the best of his abilities.

Fourthly, in my dictionary consistent means scoring regularly. Translated: Point Per Game. If you translated consistent differently please tell me your criterea, that may be the cause of the disagreement.

Old
05-14-2004, 02:37 PM
slimer

Murray Baron, (III) let go
Dallas Drake, (III) resign at 2.2 mill or less
Jeff Finley, (III) let go
Alexander Khavanov, (III) resign at 0.8m or less
Al MacInnis, (III) retired
Steve Martins, (III) let go
Scott Mellanby, (III) let go
Chris Osgood, (III) resign at 2.2 or less
Scott Pellerin, (III) let go
Pascal Rheaume, (III) let go
Mike Sillinger, (III) resign at 1.8 or less
Eric Weinrich, (III) resign at 2.5 or less

Marc Brown, (VI) let go
Reinhard Divis, (VI) resign at 1.0 or less ( heard he had already signed)
Ryan Ready, (VI) let go
Cody Rudkowsky, (VI) let go

Christian Backman, (II) resign
Eric Boguniecki, (II) qualify
Petr Cajanek, (II) resign
Mike Danton, (II) let go
Pavol Demitra, (II) qualify and trade
Barrett Jackman, (II) resign
Ryan Johnson, (II) let go
Christian Laflamme, (II) let go
Jamal Mayers, (II) qualify
Chris Pronger, (II) qualify and try to resign multi year around 7.5 mill per
Mark Rycroft, (II) qualify
Levente Szuper, (II) depends on euro prospect goalies come to NA
Matt Walker, (II) resign

Old
05-15-2004, 10:56 AM
Irish Blues

Quote:
First off, Stillman was asking for 3.5 mil in his arbitration case coming off a career season. ...
You're right about that - I forgot, he was arbitration eligible. 2002-03 was not what I'd call a "career season" - yeah he had his best season to date in terms of points b/c he was up in assists. His goals were 3 behind his career high. His '03-04 season (25-55-80) was a career season for him, and he won't improve much on that in any future season.

The bottom line is, had he been able to produce in more than 25 games in '02-03 he'd still be with the Blues. But...he didn't so he was dealt.

Quote:
Secondly, Cajanek is as consistent as any player on the team in the defensive zone. ... How many points was Cajanek supposed to get playing with such great snipers as Jamal Mayers and Eric Nicklas? Look at what happened when he was put with talent ... He is not an enigma, he is a good player playing with muckers and borderline AHL'ers. Look at what Weight did with muckers on his wings and he is regarded as one of the best playmakers in the NHL.
Weight didn't do too much with those muckers...never really has. Short of having the engimatic Stillman on one wing and Eric Boguinecki/Scott Young on the other, he's struggled with other players on his line...and that frustrates me. I'd expect an "elite talent" like Weight to elevate the play of his linemates. He hasn't in 3 years - he's generally played down to the level of his linemates instead. (Which is a big reason I ripped Weight most of this season.)

(NOTE: The last 2 years Weight is 29-103-132 with the Blues. 13-54-67 of that is on the PP and 0-2-2 SH...meaning that Weight is 16-47-63 at even strength in 145 games. Hardly something for a supposedly "elite" center to brag about...and it's not all because he's had lousy linemates.)

Cajanek is consistent defensively...and so was Michal Handzus - but some Blues fans still think getting rid of Handzus was a good thing. I'd take Handzus over Cajanek every day of the week. I can't recall Handzus getting hurt and then dogging it an extra 15 games after coming back like Cajanek has done twice (was too hurt to play but 2 playoff games last year, dogged it through December, January and February this year). You realize that Cajanek was 0-2-2 in 28 games in January and February? 2 points in 28 games. Yeah he was +2 but the Blues weren't looking for an increase in +/-...they were looking for playmakers to make plays...and Cajanek was one of the biggest offenders during that slide.

Finally....unless our young wingers are suddenly ready to make their NHL debuts or we get an influx of scoring wingers in FA, there's only so many semi-talented wingers on the team....certainly not enough to fill the wings for both Weight and Cajanek.

Quote:
Thirdly, Cajanek and Demitra do not play the same style of game. Demitra is an offensive player. ... Cajanek is a DEFENSIVE oriented player. ... I really wish people would stop refering to Cajanek as if he were an offensive player. He has offensive upside but his game is built around solid positioning in the defensive zone. ... Cajanek is paid to be our top PK guy and provide timely offense. Considering how the rest of the team did this year I'd say Cajanek filled his role to the best of his abilities.
Cajanek not an offensive player? He was only 2nd in the Slovakian league before finally coming to North America...so I'd say he has offensive skills. Yes, he plays defense well, but I don't recall us discussing him as a 3rd line shutdown center with some offensive skills in the last few years - I thought he was going to be a solid two-way 2nd-line center (which I read as "plays strong defense, provides offense"). If he's going to be a 3rd line-type center a la Craig Conroy (focuses on defense, will chip in 12-30-42 during the season), fine - let's declare it. But playing on the 3rd line means he won't get Jari Kurri and Glenn Anderson circa mid-80s on his wings...he'll get Mayers and Drake instead. If we want Cajanek to get good wingers to help him provide offense, he'll have to play on at least the 2nd line...meaning that while he can be good defensively, he'll be expected to provide offense along the lines of 15-50-65.

But again...I don't see a surplus of scoring wingers on the team or in the system that are ready to step up to make the latter happen.

We'll just have to agree to disagree here. Maybe I just expect too much from players on my team (consistency on offense and defense, ability to fight through injury, above-average talent elevating the play of lesser-skilled linemates, etc.), maybe I should expect less from Cajanek and be content with him being a defense-first player who occasionally chips in on offense.

Old
05-15-2004, 11:31 AM
degroat*

IB, you're right to expect offense from Cajanek. Your problem, though, is your unwillingness to admit that Cajanek has proven that when he is played with good players he does conistantly produce.

Old
05-15-2004, 11:44 AM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stich
IB, you're right to expect offense from Cajanek. Your problem, though, is your unwillingness to admit that Cajanek has proven that when he is played with good players he does conistantly produce.
I'd would like to point out that we have too many centers and too few wingers to go with them...so that's part of the problem - but not all of it. At some point talented players have to raise the play of their linemates...and for years the Blues players have played down to the level of their linemates, the level of their competition, etc. etc. etc. so it's not like Cajanek is unique in this. He's just the person we're talking about at the moment.

You can't say on one hand that "His [Cajanek's] job is to play great defense first, provide offense second" then complain about his lack of offense coming b/c he has no one to play on the wings, then say "But when he has wingers he plays great on offense". Well...is he an offensive center first, or a defensive center first? If he's an offensive center first, what kind of numbers should I expect? If he's a defensive center first, is it realistic to expect him to play with two offensively-talented wingers in a defense-first role?

Personally I don't care if he's offensive or defensive-oriented first....but after hearing when he came over about how he had offensive skills and could be the team's #2/#3 center and make the 3rd line a potential scoring line, and NOT seeing that happen the last year, PLUS seeing how he played hyper-cautiously after being hurt and shutting down the Blues 3rd line himself (again....he scored all of 0 goals, 2 assists in 28 games in January and February) ... I want to know what I'm supposed to expect out of Cajanek going forward - offense, defense, or both....and what kind of numbers should I expect to see before griping about his lack of production.

Old
05-15-2004, 11:56 AM
degroat*

If you think Cajanek is going to be the anchor of a line and make his linemates produce, then your expecations of Cajanek are way too high. He is a complimentary scorer that is excels defensively.

Old
05-15-2004, 09:27 PM
slimer

Cajanek is a great 3rd line center or a solid 2nd line center. He also comes at a bargain price. Cajanek is someone that should still be on this team.

Old
05-15-2004, 09:43 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
You're right about that - I forgot, he was arbitration eligible. 2002-03 was not what I'd call a "career season" - yeah he had his best season to date in terms of points b/c he was up in assists. His goals were 3 behind his career high. His '03-04 season (25-55-80) was a career season for him, and he won't improve much on that in any future season.

The bottom line is, had he been able to produce in more than 25 games in '02-03 he'd still be with the Blues. But...he didn't so he was dealt.
At the time that was Stillmans career year. That is what I meant. The reason we dealt him was because he was asking too much in his arbitration case(or would have been) and Pleau's mandate for the off-season was to lower payroll. Pleau believed that A) he would be able to sign Ruchinsky at a lower price and B) that Sejna was ready to step in and contribute 15-20 goals. He was incorrect on both counts and that led to the offensive woes of this season.

Quote:
Weight didn't do too much with those muckers...never really has. Short of having the engimatic Stillman on one wing and Eric Boguinecki/Scott Young on the other, he's struggled with other players on his line...and that frustrates me. I'd expect an "elite talent" like Weight to elevate the play of his linemates. He hasn't in 3 years - he's generally played down to the level of his linemates instead. (Which is a big reason I ripped Weight most of this season.)

(NOTE: The last 2 years Weight is 29-103-132 with the Blues. 13-54-67 of that is on the PP and 0-2-2 SH...meaning that Weight is 16-47-63 at even strength in 145 games. Hardly something for a supposedly "elite" center to brag about...and it's not all because he's had lousy linemates.)

Cajanek is consistent defensively...and so was Michal Handzus - but some Blues fans still think getting rid of Handzus was a good thing. I'd take Handzus over Cajanek every day of the week. I can't recall Handzus getting hurt and then dogging it an extra 15 games after coming back like Cajanek has done twice (was too hurt to play but 2 playoff games last year, dogged it through December, January and February this year). You realize that Cajanek was 0-2-2 in 28 games in January and February? 2 points in 28 games. Yeah he was +2 but the Blues weren't looking for an increase in +/-...they were looking for playmakers to make plays...and Cajanek was one of the biggest offenders during that slide.

Finally....unless our young wingers are suddenly ready to make their NHL debuts or we get an influx of scoring wingers in FA, there's only so many semi-talented wingers on the team....certainly not enough to fill the wings for both Weight and Cajanek.
The problem during the slump was NOT with the playmakers. Cajanek, Weight and Demitra were still putting up quality chances 2 or 3 times a game. The problem was with Mellanby, Nicklas, Mayers, Drake and Bogunieki not putting those chances into the net. A playmaker is only good if he has a shooter on his line. When Rycroft got put down on the fourth line both Weight and Cajanek both suddenly stop producing, I don't think that was a coincidence.

Also, I don't think getting rid of Handzus was a good thing. Handzus and Cajanek are the same type of player(defensive center with offensive abilities). I'm not going to argue whether trading Handzus was a good idea or not. IMO we'd be better off if we had BOTH of them.

As for wingers coming up, Sejna and Glumac both look like they are ready to step in and contribute(if we sign Glumac that is). That definately isn't enough but it is a good start(especially considering that Zakharov, Skohtov and Hemmingway aren't too far off either).

Quote:
Cajanek not an offensive player? He was only 2nd in the Slovakian league before finally coming to North America...so I'd say he has offensive skills. Yes, he plays defense well, but I don't recall us discussing him as a 3rd line shutdown center with some offensive skills in the last few years - I thought he was going to be a solid two-way 2nd-line center (which I read as "plays strong defense, provides offense"). If he's going to be a 3rd line-type center a la Craig Conroy (focuses on defense, will chip in 12-30-42 during the season), fine - let's declare it. But playing on the 3rd line means he won't get Jari Kurri and Glenn Anderson circa mid-80s on his wings...he'll get Mayers and Drake instead. If we want Cajanek to get good wingers to help him provide offense, he'll have to play on at least the 2nd line...meaning that while he can be good defensively, he'll be expected to provide offense along the lines of 15-50-65.

But again...I don't see a surplus of scoring wingers on the team or in the system that are ready to step up to make the latter happen.

We'll just have to agree to disagree here. Maybe I just expect too much from players on my team (consistency on offense and defense, ability to fight through injury, above-average talent elevating the play of lesser-skilled linemates, etc.), maybe I should expect less from Cajanek and be content with him being a defense-first player who occasionally chips in on offense.
Actually, I'd consider Conroy a good comparrison. Conroy is a 50 point player who plays a defensive oriented game. He is not good enough offensively to ANCHOR the top line but he can be a perfect complementary center to a goal scorer. I look at Cajanek the same way. He is a complementary center on the top line or he can anchor a checking line. In a normal year Cajanek should get 40-50 points(unless he finds a winger who he absolutely clicks with(like he appears to have done with Demitra and Tkachuk)). If Q had left Cajanek with Demitra and Tkachuk he probably would have had a 50 point season. IMO that is one of the reasons Q was fired(it took Kitch 2 games to put that combo back together).

Old
05-16-2004, 06:47 AM
danista

Send a message via MSN to danista
Christian Laflamme will play the next season with the DEL-Club Kassel Huskies (Germany).

Old
05-16-2004, 05:21 PM
Prussian_Blue

So THIS is the "30 FA's The Blues Have To Resign?"

Jeez, did someone ever exaggerate to push the "Pleau and the Blues are clueless" point on this one...

Almost half of these guys are UFAs whose contracts were structured precisely so they'd expire at this time, right before the dawn of the new CBA, when the Blues would be in a position to make a decision one way or the other. The same with the potential RFA's, for the most part.

This is the Blues' chance to shed some payroll and slim down for the new financial realities ahead, and management should be commended for their shrewdness in structuring so many of these contracts to expire this year. This season was a chance for thirty guys to play for their future contracts, and just about half of 'em didn't step up to the plate.

Quote:
Murray Baron, (III)
Dallas Drake, (III)
Jeff Finley, (III)
Alexander Khavanov, (III)
Al MacInnis, (III)
Steve Martins, (III)
Scott Mellanby, (III)
Chris Osgood, (III)
Scott Pellerin, (III)
Pascal Rheaume, (III)
Mike Sillinger, (III)
Eric Weinrich, (III)
As far as I'm concerned, all of the Group III's can go except Drake, Weinrich, and Sillinger. Macinnis and Mellanby, God love 'em, are both done. If Osgood's willing to take a pay cut, I'd be OK with bringing him back, but I'd honestly rather get Tuomas Nissinen and Konstantin Barulin over here, and let them fight it out with Sanford and Divis for the four jobs in St. Louis and Worcester.

12 players, eight gone for sure, nine if the Blues can either live with kids in goal, or find a cheap NHL-caliber replacement for Osgood.

Quote:
Marc Brown, (VI)
Reinhard Divis, (VI)
Ryan Ready, (VI)
Cody Rudkowsky, (VI)
I've heard that Divis has already re-signed. Ready's a fifth-year pro who's never even had so much as a sniff of the NHL, so he can go unless he's willing to come back for the bare minimum. Brown had a chance a couple of years ago, and hasn't broken away from the pack as he should have if he were a legit prospect, so he can go as well. Rudkowsky kicks it in the ECHL, but hasn't ever been a standout in the AHL, and like Ready is a fifth-year pro who's only had a very, very brief taste of the NHL. He can go as well.

Four players, three can go. So far, 16 players are up for new contracts, and only four are for sure getting new offers.

Quote:
Christian Backman, (II)
Eric Boguniecki, (II)
Petr Cajanek, (II)
Mike Danton, (II)
Pavol Demitra, (II)
Barrett Jackman, (II)
Ryan Johnson, (II)
Christian Laflamme, (II)
Jamal Mayers, (II)
Chris Pronger, (II)
Mark Rycroft, (II)
Levente Szuper, (II)
Matt Walker, (II)
Danton's done, damn him... :mad:

It's too bad he turned out to be a nutcase under the sway of some Svengali character, because I really liked what he brought to the team this year. Oh well... let's hope he gets the help he needs to rebuild his life and, most importantly, gets the hell away from David Frost.

Demitra should be requalified and traded, unless the Blues can get rid of either Weight or Tkachuk instead. If I could have my way, Weight would be moved for picks/prospects, and the Blues would re-sign both Demitra and Cajanek, and put them on a line with Tkachuk.

Backman, Boguniecki, Cajanek, Jackman, Pronger and Rycroft are no-brainers. There should be no hesitation whatsoever in getting all of them re-signed.

I'd say go ahead and re-sign Walker and Szuper as well. Walker has the size and toughness to play an NHL game, and he's still very young. Get him some time with Laura Stamm in the off-season and work on his skating. Szuper gets one more crack at it, since he's played well in previous AHL duty, and played very well after his demotion to Peoria, and he's still pretty young as well. 2004-05 is his make-or-break season, though...

Johnson I'm indifferent about; he can stay or go, and I wouldn't lose any sleep either way.

Laflamme and Mayers are G-O-N-E. Mayers has had chance after chance to establish himself as a legitimate third-line forward, and he just keeps disappointing. I've had enough of him.

Thirteen guys on the RFA list, nine getting new offers.

29 total free agents, and 16 of them are being cut loose. That's smart, forward thinking by the Blues, cleaning house at the right time and going forward with younger players.

PrussianBlue

Last edited by Prussian_Blue: 05-16-2004 at 05:30 PM.
Old
05-16-2004, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danista
Christian Laflamme will occupy a roster spot next season with the DEL-Club Kassel Huskies (Germany).
Fixed.

Closed Thread