HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ron Fournier: "Plekanec won't sign with Montreal"

Old
05-06-2010, 02:15 AM
muzion

vCash: 500
When is the last time Plekanec has set one of his linemates up for a scoring chance?!

Facts: Plekanec only has 1 1st assist in the playoffs, and it had to bounce off Letang's skate for Cammalleri to have an opportunity to score. He had only 2 assists in the reg season since the Olympics.

Just goes to show you how great Cammalleri has been since he's doing it all alone offensively on his line. He's a one-man show! He needs though.

People talk about how stellar his defense and work on the PK has been... well, that's what you'd expect from a 3rd-liner. His line needs to spend some time in the other zone and create some chances, and it hasn't happened yet. The man simply isn't good enough on the cycle, which is what you need in the playoffs to be successful. I don't remember the last time I saw him win a one-on-one battle in the post-season. It's not even because he's not trying though, he just can't do it. He doesn't have it in him.

If he could win a battle along the boards like Pyatt does he might be worth 5 mil a year, but until then a non-playmaking smallish center who loses countless battles for the puck doesn't win you Stanley Cups.

muzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 02:20 AM
andy28

I like Plekanec. I think it would be great if he resigns for a reasonable price. But if he doesn't we just find something else. If Gauthier is more pro-active than Gainey we can replace him. Gomez is a major problem with this team when it comes to making improvements. I like Gomez himself, I like the way he plays but having that much salary wrapped up in one player limits your ability to improve the team.

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 02:40 AM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzion View Post
When is the last time Plekanec has set one of his linemates up for a scoring chance?!

Facts: Plekanec only has 1 1st assist in the playoffs, and it had to bounce off Letang's skate for Cammalleri to have an opportunity to score. He had only 2 assists in the reg season since the Olympics.

Just goes to show you how great Cammalleri has been since he's doing it all alone offensively on his line. He's a one-man show! He needs though.

People talk about how stellar his defense and work on the PK has been... well, that's what you'd expect from a 3rd-liner. His line needs to spend some time in the other zone and create some chances, and it hasn't happened yet. The man simply isn't good enough on the cycle, which is what you need in the playoffs to be successful. I don't remember the last time I saw him win a one-on-one battle in the post-season. It's not even because he's not trying though, he just can't do it. He doesn't have it in him.

If he could win a battle along the boards like Pyatt does he might be worth 5 mil a year, but until then a non-playmaking smallish center who loses countless battles for the puck doesn't win you Stanley Cups.
Stopped reading right there...

Playmaker09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 05:23 AM
WestIslander

Quote:
Ron Fournier speculates tonight on some points about the next season moves, according to his feelings and the informations he got. Here's his points:

1) Montreal will sign both Halak and Price
2) Plekenec will sign elsewhere
3) Sergei will go out (not a difficult prediction...)

Comments...
- Smartest move the GM can make is sign both to 3 year deals and then dangle Halak in a trade once Price steps it up, I am still convinced that Price will be one of the best goalies in the NHL when he is 25 years + years old and will be the franchise goalie.

- I believe this and I am happy because we cannot afford to have our top two centres being under six feet tall and we cannot afford the team to pay over $13,000,000.00 to the top two centres when two of our winders are making $11,000,000.00 a season combined.

- Yes, he is not Martin's cup of team and I will be very pleased when I see his brother go with him.

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 07:17 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le depisteur View Post
With Plekanec's performance in playoffs, you guys are really confortable to give him 5M$ for next 5 season? That's the question...
His performance has been better than Gomez and we're giving him seven point something for the next 3-4 years.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 07:23 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
His performance has been better than Gomez and we're giving him seven point something for the next 3-4 years.
If Gomez contract is a point of reference most players left in the playoffs are good value.

Agnostic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 07:24 AM
Capitano

Gomez has been way better than Pleks in the playoffs this year.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 07:26 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Wow, Ron'll do about anything for ratings, playing with the insecurities of many Habs fans.

I think I'll trust Plekanec's own words before Ron Ron le moron :

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...edom+of+choice
Yeah but what does he mean by this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post

"Montreal is my second home, the Canadiens are my second family."
Maybe his first family, his first homw will be were he signs.

Just Kidding.

Last edited by onice: 05-06-2010 at 07:33 AM.
Old
05-06-2010, 07:28 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
Gomez has been way better than Pleks in the playoffs this year.
Really, are you his mother or his wife? Those are the only people who would make such a ridiculous statement.

Old
05-06-2010, 07:34 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
If Gomez contract is a point of reference most players left in the playoffs are good value.
Well, my point being you unload Gomez and sign Pleks. And then with the money left you go for a #1 centerman.

Old
05-06-2010, 08:07 AM
Fire Brunet*

I wish Iginla was a center just so I could hope and say
Iginla anybody?

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 08:10 AM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosss View Post
I wish Iginla was a center just so I could hope and say
Iginla anybody?
Iginla is still very good but he's not the force he once was. That's what i heard on TV anyway

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 08:21 AM
M4TR1X
SENSational User

Hmmm Plekanec not staying in Montreal? I would love for Ottawa to sign him.

Michalek - Spezza - Alfredsson
Plekanec - Fisher - Kovalev

M4TR1X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 08:27 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I'm going to speculate that Ron Fournier is a clown and that he doesn't know anything.
Winner here.....he makes next to zero sense every time I listen.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 08:33 AM
Turboflex*

wish these mediots would stirr up some crap with the Pens

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 08:35 AM
M4TR1X
SENSational User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloumeister View Post
Ron-Ron-Ron needs to follow his doctor's orders.

Start taking your medication again, "mon Ron".
Fixed.

M4TR1X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 08:44 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
Winner here.....he makes next to zero sense every time I listen.
Yeah but when you're not listening he makes lots of sense.

Old
05-06-2010, 09:23 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

#2 doesn't make sense; resigning both Halak and Price?

Just because of that, Ron FOurnier has zero credibility

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 09:34 AM
Max Levine

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
- Smartest move the GM can make is sign both to 3 year deals and then dangle Halak in a trade once Price steps it up, I am still convinced that Price will be one of the best goalies in the NHL when he is 25 years + years old and will be the franchise goalie.

- I believe this and I am happy because we cannot afford to have our top two centres being under six feet tall and we cannot afford the team to pay over $13,000,000.00 to the top two centres when two of our winders are making $11,000,000.00 a season combined.

- Yes, he is not Martin's cup of team and I will be very pleased when I see his brother go with him.
Love your first point. I don't understand why management would trade one of their goalies if they're not getting a high return. What would be the point? They would then have to find a good experienced backup and pay him what? $1.5M? And what if our #1 gets hurt? I feel we should be able to keep both goalies for around $5-5.5M. And then, when the opportunity comes knockin', probably at the trade deadline, you lose one to take your team to a higher level.

Your second point I disagree with. There's really no one we could find at a more reasonable salary who could give us as much as Plekanec. In fact, despite their lack of size, both Gomez and Plek have given us an awful lot this year. They can keep both goalies along with Plek as long as they address Hamrlik's case among others. I don't believe we should be questioning this spot at center; I think we should be looking at saving on the wing. We could save a little, finding someone who would be a better fit than AK for $2M+. And that is in agreement with your last point.

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 09:46 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Really, are you his mother or his wife? Those are the only people who would make such a ridiculous statement.
Says you I guess. Pleks has been invisible for me. Gomez is involved and been a horse.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 02:17 PM
CanadienErrant*

Minnesota scouts were probably watching Pleks closely the other nite.

They badly need a second-line center behind Koivu (and Bouchard has his carreer on jeopardy because of concussions). And Pleks would certainly click well with Havlat, another Tcheck player.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 02:25 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
I'm neither and I think Gomez has been better then Pleks. Either way I don't see what's ridiculous about it, even if Pleks has been better then Gomez, which I don't agree, but if so it can't be by that much to say that it's ridiculous to think otherwise.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 02:31 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I'm neither and I think Gomez has been better then Pleks. Either way I don't see what's ridiculous about it, even if Pleks has been better then Gomez, which I don't agree, but if so it can't be by that much to say that it's ridiculous to think otherwise.
Add me to the list. Pleks hasn't been much of a factor in the playoffs IMHO. He has opportunistically chipped in a little bit of offense, but he's seldom noticeable in the games. Gomez has been better. But in the regular season Plekanec was better. It's good to have the pair.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 02:34 PM
LastRide

Who replaces the lack of scoring on this team ?. Losing one to be replaced by another does nothing for this team. We need to add more scorers, not lose them.

LastRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 02:51 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Add me to the list. Pleks hasn't been much of a factor in the playoffs IMHO. He has opportunistically chipped in a little bit of offense, but he's seldom noticeable in the games. Gomez has been better. But in the regular season Plekanec was better. It's good to have the pair.
i haven't seen much of the past 2 games, so i don't know what they've looked like recently, but imho, pleks was more effective than Gomez in the first round... though not by a large margin.

what's more of interest to me, question-wise, is wether either of them have been "good enough"?

I think both have played well, pretty much to the level that should be reasonably expected of them... but at the same time, neither have been able to play with the kind of impact (at least offensively speaking... and not so much in terms of pure production -both are at ~ppg- as much as in terms of being dangerous/carrying the play/forcing the other team to adapt to them).

this is where re-signing Pleks might be very problematic. Without a hometown discount, he'll easily get over 5M$ on the contract he signs. Can the habs really afford to spend 12-13M$ on their top 2 centres when neither are capable of consistently being impact players?

watching the team struggle to establish any kind of offensive threat (aside from on the rush or on the PP) throughout these playoffs is a reminder that we are still far away from being a "favorite" caliber playoff team (winning as an underdog is great, but is it sustainable over more than one playoff season???).
Can we build that kind of team with a Gomez-Plekanec 1-2 punch down the middle that accounts for almost 1/4 of the teams salary?
or viewed another way, can a team with 50% of it's salary structured tied up in Gomez-Plekanec-Gionta-Cammalleri be built into a top contender?

I don't want to see Plekanec gone, at all, but unless he takes a big discount, we will be hard pressed to keep him AND improve the team (then again, it will be just as, if not tougher, to improve the team if he leaves)...

and thus the harsh reality that having a 7.4M$ Gomez is a luxury we can't afford!

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote