HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sergei Kostitsyn absent from practice

Old
05-06-2010, 10:55 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Yah, like that guy Higgins, who only got 100 times better after he got traded.

Not everything is black and white.
Agree with Higgins for sure, but surely you see SK is not the first such problem we've had with young talent?

Actually I blame Montreal's environment more than the coaching staff, in many US markets the top players can walk round unrecognized, in Montreal a 4th liner draws a post-game media scrum and gets mobbed in the street. That can mess with a kid's ego.

JLP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 10:56 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Yah, like that guy Higgins, who only got 100 times better after he got traded.

Not everything is black and white.
You really don't want to get into that argument. There's overwhelming proof that management has had no clue what to do with young players over the past...how many years you wanna put?

Just Latendresse and Chipchura for this year. I'll give a pass to D'Ags because the sample is fairly small but it doesn't seem like he'll prove us wrong for now.

Even Pouliot. He peaked early after coming over and getting healthy, but has been slowly regressing. It seems he's doing alright, but he's nowhere near as effective as he was early on.

Every young player has ups and downs early on, but few have had quite the long downs like we're accustomed to seeing from young players in Montreal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Agree with Higgins for sure, but surely you see SK is not the first such problem we've had with young talent?

Actually I blame Montreal's environment more than the coaching staff, in many US markets the top players can walk round unrecognized, in Montreal a 4th liner draws a post-game media scrum and gets mobbed in the street. That can mess with a kid's ego.
You'd think someone in the org would have figured it out and tried to find a solution. Maybe I'm expecting too much out a multi-million making business. That must be it.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 10:56 AM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
He's done here.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 11:03 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Or he could show up at practice and work his a$$ off, but that would be too professional, right?
Would you stay at work for some Overtime if they didn't give you any work?..
Why would Sergei practice if he knows Martin doesn't want to play him??..Just for the purpose of being a professional??..

As much as Sergei is an ass, the kid has tried to get back in it. He's been more than decent with his overall play this season, yet found himself on the 3rd line with limited ice time. At the first mistake, he'd get crapped on by the coach. Benched and scratched sometimes for no apparent reason, sent to AHL earlier when others were worse than him.

Like I said, there's no question Sergei acted like an idiot this season. But how about looking at how management handled him too for a change. It's not always ONLY about the player you know.
There are two sides to a medal.

Quote:
First point, he's being paid to be there, he should be there.
Actually no. Players are paid through the regular season, not the POs.
So technically, he's not being paid anymore, he already received all his paychecks.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 11:04 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLPacman67 View Post
You really don't want to get into that argument. There's overwhelming proof that management has had no clue what to do with young players over the past...how many years you wanna put?

Just Latendresse and Chipchura for this year. I'll give a pass to D'Ags because the sample is fairly small but it doesn't seem like he'll prove us wrong for now.

Even Pouliot. He peaked early after coming over and getting healthy, but has been slowly regressing. It seems he's doing alright, but he's nowhere near as effective as he was early on.

Every young player has ups and downs early on, but few have had quite the long downs like we're accustomed to seeing from young players in Montreal.
You make it sound like an exact science.

How about minnesota? They had 2 top 10 picks that couldn't buy a goal. Pouliot and Sheppard. How about edmonton? Where Gagner and Cogliano's progress seems to have stalled. How about Matt moulson in NYI, where he wasn't good enough to be kept by team who drafted him? Oh no, these other situations don't count. Montreal may suck with players but a lot of teams do cuz it's that hard. When we have 9th round picks who steal playoff games, sergei K in the 7th round and even a guy like d'ags who was in 6th round(i think) it goes to show we must be doing something right and please god don't say 'we draft well' cuz apparently they would ALL by ruined by management. Nothing's perfect. Would I like better management of young players? better scouts? better trades and acquisitions? Hell yes. I would also like two-three hot models in my room but I guess I gotta have realistic expectations, right?

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 11:06 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Players are paid through the regular season, not the POs.
So technically, he's not being paid anymore, he already received all his paychecks.
Hehe I've been in Japan too long. Here it's work until the job is done

JLP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 11:06 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Would you stay at work for some Overtime if they didn't give you any work?..
Why would Sergei practice if he knows Martin doesn't want to play him??..Just for the purpose of being a professional??..

As much as Sergei is an ass, the kid has tried to get back in it. He's been more than decent with his overall play this season, yet found himself on the 3rd line with limited ice time. At the first mistake, he'd get crapped on by the coach. Benched and scratched sometimes for no apparent reason, sent to AHL earlier when others were worse than him.

Like I said, there's no question Sergei acted like an idiot this season. But how about looking at how management handled him too for a change. It's not always ONLY about the player you know.
There are two sides to a medal.

Actually no. Players are paid through the regular season, not the POs.
Practice isn't overtime...

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 11:09 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:

No, he is not, but the stories are a lot more controversial here. Patrik Berglund was late for practice in STL i think. He got benched the next game, despite being more talented and effective than SK. He came to practice on time afterwards as far as I know. SK just keeps playing by his own rules I guess. Maybe this story is overblown as he's just in the gym. But really, why do we see him as some guy who the management failed? he failed himself.

I agree there's a lot of pressure in this city and a lot of expectations and that can cripple a player, but if so, you can't blame management either. I think in development camps they try and prepare players for this.

Old
05-06-2010, 11:10 AM
Jigger77

You're with the team or you're not.

Get lost Sergei the circus Paris Hilton act doesn't fit here.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 11:10 AM
WestIslander

Sergei was told to workout in the gym by Jacques Martin today!

In my opinion, Sergei Kostitsyn will never play a game with the Canadiens again.

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 11:12 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Practice isn't overtime...
Overtime, regular work, or wtv..don't play dumb.

Would you head to work if there was nothing for you to do and there was no paycheck anymore??..maybe you would, but a huge number of people wouldn't waste their time.

Management should have fingers pointed at them as much as Sergei does.

Old
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Why would Sergei practice if he knows Martin doesn't want to play him??
I don't know, because if you love a sport and won't get regular ice time, you might want to take advantage of being on the ice when you can. Oh and, I dunno, self improvement? I mean, to keep sharp? You know, people practice to get better.

Old
fatmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
When did JM say this?
I don't know butr it is quoted in La Presse article

fatmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 11:14 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
If Darche is going to dress again and not play a single shift,then I hope Martin dresses SK and leaves him on the bench for the hole game without a shift and Darche can go relax in the press box and enjoy a Beer with a hot dog.SK is not only playing himself out of Montreal but the NHL

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 11:15 AM
mvp76

Practice is what gets players into the line-up. Practice shows you dedicated.
You intensity level. Also chooses which goalie plays certain night.

mvp76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 11:15 AM
Capitano

Quote:

Would you head to work if there was nothing for you to do and there was no paycheck anymore??..maybe you would, but a huge number of people wouldn't waste their time.

LOL...that's great logic.

What does that show to any future employers?

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 11:21 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
I don't know, because if you love a sport and won't get regular ice time, you might want to take advantage of being on the ice when you can. Oh and, I dunno, self improvement? I mean, to keep sharp? You know, people practice to get better.
Right. Sergei will practice on a team that wants no part of him.
Keep sharp..?..for what?..you think a little practice during these POs are gonna improve Sergei??..

You should listen to yourself a bit more, you were right. You don't know, should have kept it at that.

The kid is not wanted. The coach seems to want no part of him. It doesn't look like he'll play another game. They rather have someone less talented that sits on the bench but sees no ice time over him. But this is okay and he should stick around to practice..
Who are you kidding..??..

And on top of it, maybe he was told by Martin not to practice. But no, people will always blame Sergei. Ridiculous.

Old
05-06-2010, 11:22 AM
gusfring

Quote:

Are you kidding? NHL contracts state that the playoffs are included in their season whether paychecks are handed out or not.

So you should only practice if you a guranteed to play? What a prima donna. See ya Sergei...

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 11:24 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Keep sharp..?..for what?..you think a little practice during these POs are gonna improve Sergei??..

You should listen to yourself a bit more, you were right. You don't know, should have kept it at that.

The kid is not wanted. The coach seems to want no part of him. It doesn't look like he'll play another game. They rather have someone less talented that sits on the bench but sees no ice time over him. But this is okay and he should stick around to practice..

And on top of it, maybe he was told by Martin not to practice. But no, people will always blame Sergei. Ridiculous.
He still collected his pay check when he knew he wasn't part of the team but now that he doesn't get paid he could pull a fit? I don't know what happened but he needs to act like a pro

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 11:24 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
LOL...that's great logic.

What does that show to any future employers?
Nothing whatsoever.

Old
05-06-2010, 11:25 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Nothing whatsoever.
Not in the NHL I would wager.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

meh...
Marginal player to this point in his career for the Habs. He hasn't proven he can be relied on to play a regular shift. Hell, he can't even hold his spot in the line-up.

If he walks... Whatever, he's still just a marginal prospect, a mid-level one at that, and we can replace him with some other prospect.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LyricalLyricist

Quote:

lol, you should listen to yourself actually. I suggested the player enjoy being on the ice or want to improve and I don't know anything. Smooth my friend.

I've played ice hockey and i wasn't a pro and never missed a practice, so come on. If sergei truly wants to be a better player, whether it's in russia, with the habs or another NHL team, he still needs practice.

Last edited by LyricalLyricist: 05-06-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old
05-06-2010, 11:26 AM
LouisJCloutier

Well it's obvious that SK won't play ever for the Habs. I had hope that he would come back from Hamilton with a better attitude but old habits die hard it seems.

Management is not to blame here.

LouisJCloutier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 11:29 AM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

he's gone but who care right now it's the playoff can we wait this summer to talk about him we will have plenty of time.

45345342 trade proposals with the Kostitsyns and Hammer for a top6 fowards, poor other fan base

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote