HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montréal Impact

Old
05-06-2010, 12:34 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Montréal Impact

Quote:
L'Impact de Montréal a convoqué les médias pour une conférence de presse majeure demain à 10h. / The Montreal Impact has invited the media to a major press conference tomorrow at 10 am.
Via Facebook.

MLS time?

Last edited by The Russian General: 05-06-2010 at 12:50 PM.
The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 12:42 PM
PyrettaBlaze

Yep. MLS in 2012

PyrettaBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 12:45 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
That would be great news to make it official,we pretty much heard all the rumors for the past couple of weeks.

Maybe after Milan and Fiorentina they have other games scheduled against Man U and Real Madrid? Saputo got connections

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 12:46 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

**** just got real

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 04:29 PM
D3nZ

Amazing news for the city of Montréal and for soccer fans in the eastern part of the country.

D3nZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 04:37 PM
usernam

Brightest day in Impact history.

edit: http://www.montreal2012.com/

Last edited by usernam: 05-06-2010 at 04:42 PM.
usernam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 04:52 PM
Blame Subban
Galchenyuk

Quote:
les félicitations aux ventilateurs de football de Montréal!

This is why google translator doesn't always work.

Blame Subban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 04:58 PM
D3nZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by John le Perron View Post

This is why google translator doesn't always work.
Haha, at least the poor guy from Washington made an effort, remember we just eliminated their hockey team.

D3nZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 05:01 PM
MoonlightGraham

Great news. Hopefully they change the name though, I never liked "Impact". It's too generic and doesn't mean anything, like Wild or Predators. A name change would also perhaps help with marketing the MLS team, since the name Impact is associated with second tier soccer, the casual fans may not realize why the ticket prices went up (they will obviously have to hike up the prices in the MLS). Olympique de Montréal would be awesome.

Either way, the Montreal-Toronto rivaly is going to be awesome.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 05:08 PM
usernam

Yes OM would be nice

usernam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 05:25 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Olympique is impossible because of the IOC.

Old
05-06-2010, 05:33 PM
Georges Gorges

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhf1 View Post
Great news. Hopefully they change the name though, I never liked "Impact". It's too generic and doesn't mean anything, like Wild or Predators. A name change would also perhaps help with marketing the MLS team, since the name Impact is associated with second tier soccer, the casual fans may not realize why the ticket prices went up (they will obviously have to hike up the prices in the MLS). Olympique de Montréal would be awesome.

Either way, the Montreal-Toronto rivaly is going to be awesome.
Nice !

Congrats to the Impact !

My only concern is that there will be a huge raise to my season tickets.

Also, I hope that they will bring back the Carlsberg! (Soccer is not the same with Bud )

Georges Gorges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 05:39 PM
RC51

Now if you really want to start something.
Have the impact change to " le club de foot canadien. with the same as the Habs but instead of a H in the C use a F in the C and then apply for Quebec city MLS and YES YES call them le club de foot Nordic and instead of a hockey stick have a F hanging off the N.
then who cares about the league the place would be packed every game anyway.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 05:41 PM
MoonlightGraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
Olympique is impossible because of the IOC.
Why? Olympique de Marseilles, Olympique de Lyon and FC Olympiacos don't seem to have problems with the IOC.

Old
05-06-2010, 05:45 PM
Georges Gorges

Quote:
Why? Olympique de Marseilles, Olympique de Lyon and FC Olympiacos don't seem to have problems with the IOC.
Yes, but there was no Olympic games in Marseilles or Lyon.

Georges Gorges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 05:45 PM
Habs13

Awesome! I guess that means we'll see some better players coming to Montreal, too! Not that our players are not good... just that the MLS is a higher talented league! Also... DAVID BECKHAM IN MONTREAL!!!!!!!!!! Too cool. I want Montreal vs. Galaxy tickets, hehe.

Ohh.. I guess that means we'll be in FIFA 12 also?? OOOHHH YEAAAHHH!!!!

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 05:49 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
They were named Olympique before the IOC ''copyrighted'' the name Olympique. That's why you see these clubs still being named Olympique(even Olympiques de Gatineau). The only way to have our MLS club named Olympique would be to buy this team name :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal_Olympique

It was a team that played in the NASL during the early 70s. Now to do that, I don't know if it's possible and if Joey Saputo really wants that. Remember, Impact is a name associated with 15 years of pro soccer in Montréal, 3 USL titles, 7 Voyageurs Cups and 1 deep run in the CONCACAF Champions League. Since that run, the name Impact is known around North America and Central America (obviously, for soccer fans).

Old
05-06-2010, 05:50 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

The Montreal Riots

Old
05-06-2010, 05:55 PM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post
The Montreal Riots

Great news! It's about time we get into the real deal soccer league, it'll be interesting to see if some players from the present edition remain with the team when it switches to the MLS. I also agree that a name change could be good.

Like Barca and AC Milan have done, maybe they could be named Club de Soccer Canadien and have the same colors and a slightly altered logo from the Habs. Barca and Milan have done it with their basketball, volleyball, hockey and many other sports team. It would be nice!

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 05:58 PM
VanNistelrooy

gotta go with FC Poutine. Or Poutine United.

VanNistelrooy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 05:59 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleneck Plek View Post

Great news! It's about time we get into the real deal soccer league, it'll be interesting to see if some players from the present edition remain with the team when it switches to the MLS. I also agree that a name change could be good.

Like Barca and AC Milan have done, maybe they could be named Club de Soccer Canadien and have the same colors and a slightly altered logo from the Habs. Barca and Milan have done it with their basketball, volleyball, hockey and many other sports team. It would be nice!
For that, the Habs would have to buy the Impact or be the ones who brought MLS to Montréal. The possibility was there when Gillett was still around and was involved with Saputo. But now, it's not possible since it's not the same club. And if so, it would have to remain Club de Hockey Canadien like the clubs you mentionned above or other european clubs. Fact is, we're in North America and the sport culture is VERY VERY different from overseas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanNistelrooy View Post
gotta go with FC Poutine. Or Poutine United.

Old
05-06-2010, 06:02 PM
MoonlightGraham

Quote:
They were named Olympique before the IOC ''copyrighted'' the name Olympique. That's why you see these clubs still being named Olympique(even Olympiques de Gatineau). The only way to have our MLS club named Olympique would be to buy this team name :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal_Olympique

It was a team that played in the NASL during the early 70s. Now to do that, I don't know if it's possible and if Joey Saputo really wants that. Remember, Impact is a name associated with 15 years of pro soccer in Montréal, 3 USL titles, 7 Voyageurs Cups and 1 deep run in the CONCACAF Champions League. Since that run, the name Impact is known around North America and Central America (obviously, for soccer fans).
I didn't know the IOC owned the copyright, thanks for the info. It's a shame though. I guess we'll learn more tomorrow.

Old
05-06-2010, 06:05 PM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Quote:
For that, the Habs would have to buy the Impact or be the ones who brought MLS to Montréal. The possibility was there when Gillett was still around and was involved with Saputo. But now, it's not possible since it's not the same club. And if so, it would have to remain Club de Hockey Canadien like the clubs you mentionned above or other european clubs. Fact is, we're in North America and the sport culture is VERY VERY different from overseas.
Yeah I definitely understand that, I was just throwing the idea out there. However, wasn't Joey Saputo part of the conglomerate the Molsons put together to buy the Habs? Thought I read about that somewhere when it all happened. That would make it possible.

And as far as we know, both teams could just be part of a bigger sporting club, Club de Sport Canadien or something, which would include Club de Hockey Canadien and Club de Soccer Canadien. I know it's very unlikely that it happens, but it would be a very cool thing. It would give the team an identity most people are already familiar with and colors recognizable by everyone. But I agree the logistics to make it happen would be very complicated.

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 06:09 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

CF de Montreal

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 06:12 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleneck Plek View Post
Yeah I definitely understand that, I was just throwing the idea out there. However, wasn't Joey Saputo part of the conglomerate the Molsons put together to buy the Habs? Thought I read about that somewhere when it all happened. That would make it possible.

And as far as we know, both teams could just be part of a bigger sporting club, Club de Sport Canadien or something, which would include Club de Hockey Canadien and Club de Soccer Canadien. I know it's very unlikely that it happens, but it would be a very cool thing. It would give the team an identity most people are already familiar with and colors recognizable by everyone. But I agree the logistics to make it happen would be very complicated.
It would be the best thing that could happen to Montreal professional sports right now. Saputo has an immense respect for the Montreal canadiens so as Pierre Boivin and the Molson brothers, it would be amazing if they make a bond of some kind and unite both franchises. Unity moves mountains and Montreal would definetely benefit from that in the sports scene.