HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montréal Impact

Old
05-08-2010, 04:27 PM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhf1 View Post
The second biggest stadium in Montreal is only a 25 000 seater, so they can't really demolish Olympic Stadium, any large city like Montreal needs a big stadium.
Agreed about the need for a stadium and thanks for the info. Why do the Als play most of their games at McGill? Is it a location consideration? The OC is pretty cool but it is by no means a central location.

One last question while I am asking. Is there a different breakdown in fans between Football/Soccer along the lines of language? In other words, are the Als more popular (proportionally) with anglophones and the Impact more popular with Francophones?

66871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 05:38 PM
MoonlightGraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66871 View Post
Agreed about the need for a stadium and thanks for the info. Why do the Als play most of their games at McGill? Is it a location consideration? The OC is pretty cool but it is by no means a central location.

One last question while I am asking. Is there a different breakdown in fans between Football/Soccer along the lines of language? In other words, are the Als more popular (proportionally) with anglophones and the Impact more popular with Francophones?
The Alouettes play at McGill because it's just a better stadium and a better location. It's beautiful stadium, open air stadium very close to downtown. It's actually being expanded to 25 000 seats for next season. To be honest no one really likes to go to Olympic Stadium because people want to be outside in the summer and even with 30 000 spectators in there it still feels empty. It's still worth having playoff games at the Big O because obviously they sell a lot of tickets and can pack the entire stadium. It's good for one or two important games a year but no more than that.

I wouldn't say the Alouettes are more popular with anglophones, football has been growing in popularity in recent years in Quebec and is now a very popular sport with francophones. A lot of francophone high schools and universities have teams. I'd say football is as popular with francophones as soccer, which has also been growing in popularity. Soccer actually became relevant to francophones in Quebec about at the same time as it did in the rest of North America. Before that time francophones didn't care for soccer at all. Baseball and hockey were the main sports.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 05:40 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Congrats! The more Canadian teams the better! Great news for Canadian soccer fans.

With that said, TFC 'til I die!

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhf1 View Post
The Alouettes play at McGill because it's just a better stadium and a better location. It's beautiful stadium, open air stadium very close to downtown. It's actually being expanded to 25 000 seats for next season. To be honest no one really likes to go to Olympic Stadium because people want to be outside in the summer and even with 30 000 spectators in there it still feels empty. It's still worth having playoff games at the Big O because obviously they sell a lot of tickets and can pack the entire stadium. It's good for one or two important games a year but no more than that.

I wouldn't say the Alouettes are more popular with anglophones, football has been growing in popularity in recent years in Quebec and is now a very popular sport with francophones. A lot of francophone high schools and universities have teams. I'd say football is as popular with francophones as soccer, which has also been growing in popularity. Soccer actually became relevant to francophones in Quebec about at the same time as it did in the rest of North America. Before that time francophones didn't care for soccer at all. Baseball and hockey were the main sports.
Thank you. I appreciate the thoughtful response. Cheers.

Old
05-08-2010, 05:56 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

By the way, nice win today thanks to Placentino....and the refs. Not sure we deserved that penalty (which we didn't scored on but a red card was given on the play), but the fact that Placentino scored 2 and 1 in the extra time made it worth watching.

Personnally, I've never seen 2 soccer goals (1 by Minnesota, and the 1st one by the Impact) scored so close to each other.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
By the way, nice win today thanks to Placentino....and the refs. Not sure we deserved that penalty (which we didn't scored on but a red card was given on the play), but the fact that Placentino scored 2 and 1 in the extra time made it worth watching.

Personnally, I've never seen 2 soccer goals (1 by Minnesota, and the 1st one by the Impact) scored so close to each other.
Not exactly the same but this video seems appropriate here:

Old
05-08-2010, 06:09 PM
Woland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
MLS football is more technical, faster but less physical than USL/NASL/USSF football. So yeah, I don't see Braz staying... He has his chance with TFC in 07 and he was terrible.

Jordan, Jocqueviel, Pesoli, Pizzolito, Aaboubou, Pastel, Di Lorenzo, Leduc, Testo, Byers and Agourram all have potential to be with the MLS team. Maybe Billy if he gets his head out of his ass. He played in very good teams and leagues in Europe but it looks like he's an headcase. On his Facebook, after some members of the media and fans claimed he was invisible in some games, he wrote on his Facebook that people here don't know squat about soccer... A bit insulting when he was clearly invisible and also, even his coach, Marc Dos Santos, called him out. And MDS is not a dumbass. He has UEFA coaching licenses, had a "stage"(not sure if it's the correct word in english) with FC Porto, etc... He was the mastermind behind the deep in the Champions League, even though Limniatis was coach.

We could also see some high-level quebecois players come back and play with the Impact. Players like Patrice Bernier, Olivier Occéan and also that kid who plays with Sankt-Pauli in Germany(forgot his name).
not the way he has been playing this year .....He has been very VERY soft and Aaboubou has clearly taken his place in central defence

Pastel is definitely finding his spot on this team , he played VERY well today.

and for Mr. Invisible Billy , you are right , the guy has to stop talking and start acting ....

Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 06:09 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

What's also very cool is the Impact will be in EA FIFA 12

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 06:20 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woland View Post
not the way he has been playing this year .....He has been very VERY soft and Aaboubou has clearly taken his place in central defence

Pastel is definitely finding his spot on this team , he played VERY well today.

and for Mr. Invisible Billy , you are right , the guy has to stop talking and start acting ....
Didn't see a game this year except the TFC game. Lack of time

I think I can add Placentino to the list as a depth player. He lacks consistency but every time he's on the field, he leaves his balls there, he gives everything he has. He has a good shot and is not bad technically.

The Russian General is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 06:22 PM
couris

byers has terrible touch

couris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 06:32 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
man im an AVID Fifa 10 player, and i actually cant wait to see my city be an actual selection in the MLS league, which ive never picked 1 team from ever

it will be an honor to see MONTREAL in there, and ill pick em to play alooooot if it happens.

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 06:34 PM
Garo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
Good, I was tired of making Toronto a powerhouse.

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 06:49 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garo View Post
Good, I was tired of making Toronto a powerhouse.
Wow, you played with Toronto

Old
05-08-2010, 07:21 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66871 View Post
Not exactly the same but this video seems appropriate here:

Good vid. There will never be a faster goal than this.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 10:02 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Guys, read this.

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/05...oward-montreal

Plus, stadium pictures... :

Old
05-08-2010, 10:06 PM
Garo

Quote:
Wow, you played with Toronto
Well, they're so horrible in that game. No money, no players, no staff.

Typical Toronto team, really. But they're somewhat of a challenge.

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 11:07 PM
scullion44

Wow this is tough..I am a die hard Habs fan and a Die Hard TFC fan ... I don't know if i'll be able to support this montreal team as much as I like TFC ..

scullion44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 12:39 AM
Woland

Quote:
Didn't see a game this year except the TFC game. Lack of time

I think I can add Placentino to the list as a depth player. He lacks consistency but every time he's on the field, he leaves his balls there, he gives everything he has. He has a good shot and is not bad technically.
Rocco will score the most insane goals , but miss the easiest....It's hard to comprehend this phenomena.

as for that article , frankly , I find find it classless ...nay SCANDALOUS for the simple fact that it comes from the official TFC website. I could care less had this been posted by the 'red patch clowns' or any other of their plastic fans. Frankly, the mere fact that their organization condemns this kind of bigotry does not come as a surprise....

Scullion ....look at these jokers and tell me if you really can associate yourself to them

Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 09:18 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

2-1 for Milan after the first half. Over 40 000 people at the Big O.

Old
06-02-2010, 09:36 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
2-1 for Milan after the first half. Over 40 000 people at the Big O.
is it actually a win for the Impact since they scored one goal?

I don't follow the Impact to be honest.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 09:40 PM
D3nZ

So, who's next? Barcelona? Liverpool? Juventus? Real Madrid? Over 47 000 people at the O. Pretty incredible.

D3nZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 09:44 PM
knuck
On and off fan

Quote:
Guys, read this.

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/05...oward-montreal

Plus, stadium pictures... :

this article is crap

knuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 09:45 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
is it actually a win for the Impact since they scored one goal?

I don't follow the Impact to be honest.
I guess it is... but it's a friendly. People go crazy for those games but when it counts... meh, where are they?

Old
06-02-2010, 09:53 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
I guess it is... but it's a friendly. People go crazy for those games but when it counts... meh, where are they?
what are you talking about? the impact regularly sell out saputo - 13k per game and when they played santos in the concacaf quarters there were 55k at the big O in 08

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 10:01 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
what are you talking about? the impact regularly sell out saputo - 13k per game and when they played santos in the concacaf quarters there were 55k at the big O in 08

You saw the games this year or at least went to the stadium? There was no sold out. Well, none of the game was played in front of an actual 13k.

And yes, I remember the Concacaf quarters, I was there...

But I'm also talking about the medias, like RDS. They give the Impact almost no coverage except for these kind of games.