HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Good secluded camping areas

Old
05-06-2010, 04:08 PM
Polakdave
Official Sens' Polak

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Polakdave Send a message via MSN to Polakdave Send a message via Yahoo to Polakdave
Good secluded camping areas

Hey guys, totally off topic, but my buddies and I want to go camping on the May long weekend, and are trying to find a good place to go. We either want to find a really secluded area where we can set up our own camp, or else we're just going to rent out a cabin out by Green Lake. We wouldn't mind going up to Mt. Garibaldi, but the fact that you can't make a fire is pretty depressing.

All help appreciated!

Polakdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 05:09 PM
FuzzyTitus

You can drive up to Hope and along the Highway are logging roads (Othello road, Carolina mine roads) etc. Those are pretty good areas. I hear camping near Mahood Lake is nice too. Great areas up in the Wells Gray National park, Cabins and such.

FuzzyTitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 05:39 PM
Nine to Five
Now Eight to Four!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanthropyre View Post
You can drive up to Hope and along the Highway are logging roads (Othello road, Carolina mine roads) etc. Those are pretty good areas. I hear camping near Mahood Lake is nice too. Great areas up in the Wells Gray National park, Cabins and such.
I've heard that logging road suggestion a few times now. Are they free?

Nine to Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 05:59 PM
FruityPants3*

My favourite spot is probably in Underpass, the room with the big windows and long stairway, set up a claymore by the one door and watch the other from above, then as people get blown up use scavenger and set up another.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Kid_Roll

GM Place in June.

Kid_Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 06:33 PM
xtr3m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid_Roll View Post
GM Place in June.

xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 06:37 PM
Hollywood Burrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityPants3 View Post
My favourite spot is probably in Underpass, the room with the big windows and long stairway, set up a claymore by the one door and watch the other from above, then as people get blown up use scavenger and set up another.
The back of the plane in Terminal. Claymore to cover the back ladder, pick off nubs as they run into the cockpit or up the side entrance

Hollywood Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 07:28 PM
MearnsRea

I hear there's a good secluded place to camp in the Ross Lake NRA in Northern Washington. I've never actually been though, so take all this with a grain of salt.

You have to drive out to Silver Creek and then turn south on the Silver-Skagit Road, which is gravel at best. You also have to cross the border to get there, and I have no idea what the crossing is like, but you'll probably need a passport.

Hope you have a blast wherever you end up going.

MearnsRea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 07:57 PM
Andy Dufresne

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolakDave View Post
Hey guys, totally off topic, but my buddies and I want to go camping on the May long weekend, and are trying to find a good place to go. We either want to find a really secluded area where we can set up our own camp, or else we're just going to rent out a cabin out by Green Lake. We wouldn't mind going up to Mt. Garibaldi, but the fact that you can't make a fire is pretty depressing.

All help appreciated!
How far are you looking/willing to drive?

If you're willing to drive into the interior there's literally thousands of good places that are secluded and free. May long weekend can be a bit of a zoo wherever you go but there's a couple things to keep in mind:

The vast majority of the free rec sites on crown land are located at lakes or rivers. Even if you don't fish, or have a boat, camping next to a lake is way cooler than at some random spot in the bush. The more lakes there are in the area you head to, the more rec sites there will be....giving everyone who ends up in that area more choices for camping spots.

Avoid provincial parks and fishing hotspots on May long if you want anything resembling seclusion.

The farther north you go, and the farther you drive on any given logging road, the better your odds get in finding a great campsite that you will have to yourselves. If you're gonna spend that much on gas, spend another 20 and buy one of the backroad mapbooks.

Andy Dufresne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 10:12 PM
steamtrain
shred photog

Quote:
We wouldn't mind going up to Mt. Garibaldi, but the fact that you can't make a fire is pretty depressing.
Theres tons of snow up there right now... might melt some by May long, but it was dumping hard in Whistler today so who knows.

steamtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 02:49 AM
Polakdave
Official Sens' Polak

Send a message via AIM to Polakdave Send a message via MSN to Polakdave Send a message via Yahoo to Polakdave
Hey guys, thanks for the replies... except for the guys making the COD references...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mearnsrea View Post
I hear there's a good secluded place to camp in the Ross Lake NRA in Northern Washington. I've never actually been though, so take all this with a grain of salt.

You have to drive out to Silver Creek and then turn south on the Silver-Skagit Road, which is gravel at best. You also have to cross the border to get there, and I have no idea what the crossing is like, but you'll probably need a passport.

Hope you have a blast wherever you end up going.
Thanks for the good wishes. That location actually sounds completely ideal. With this being a Canadian holiday, it also makes it ideal because there will be far less people there than regular camping times.

Do you know if it costs anything to go there? We're all students, so we're not the most financially established folk in the world. The reason we're planning this is because my birthday's on the 22nd :p

Old
05-07-2010, 01:12 PM
MearnsRea

Quote:
Do you know if it costs anything to go there? We're all students, so we're not the most financially established folk in the world.
Totally understand, I'm in the same boat. I looked it up on the website, there's no entrance fee, and there's no cost to camp at that campground. Here's the site where I got that info; maybe you can find more information about it:
http://www.nps.gov/noca/planyourvisi...servations.htm
(it's the Hozomeen campground)

I encourage you to browse around and figure out all the details. All I know is that since I've heard about the site, I've wanted to go there, especially to see this, which is a short hike from the campsite.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...zomeenLake.jpg

Unfortunately, I have this school thing going on; maybe I'll make it up there this summer.

Old
05-08-2010, 02:38 PM
Polakdave
Official Sens' Polak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mearnsrea View Post
Totally understand, I'm in the same boat. I looked it up on the website, there's no entrance fee, and there's no cost to camp at that campground. Here's the site where I got that info; maybe you can find more information about it:
http://www.nps.gov/noca/planyourvisi...servations.htm
(it's the Hozomeen campground)

I encourage you to browse around and figure out all the details. All I know is that since I've heard about the site, I've wanted to go there, especially to see this, which is a short hike from the campsite.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...zomeenLake.jpg

Unfortunately, I have this school thing going on; maybe I'll make it up there this summer.
Oh, very nice. Looks almost like Black Tusk.

Yeah, I've done a bit of research, and called the North Cascade NP people, and learned quite a bit. When you go, remember that you have to get a back country permit. They are free, but are first come first serve.

Also, if you go down through the states, and go east at Burlington, you get to drive to Ross Lake via HWY 20, which is supposed to be 100x better than the Skagit.

What exactly is that place called that you want to see? We're probably going to camp by the Marlmount station, as opposed to the the Hozomeen one, for convience of the road, but we're all 100% down on going for a nice hike to get a better spot.

Old
05-08-2010, 05:22 PM
MearnsRea

Quote:
Oh, very nice. Looks almost like Black Tusk.

Yeah, I've done a bit of research, and called the North Cascade NP people, and learned quite a bit. When you go, remember that you have to get a back country permit. They are free, but are first come first serve.

Also, if you go down through the states, and go east at Burlington, you get to drive to Ross Lake via HWY 20, which is supposed to be 100x better than the Skagit.

What exactly is that place called that you want to see? We're probably going to camp by the Marlmount station, as opposed to the the Hozomeen one, for convience of the road, but we're all 100% down on going for a nice hike to get a better spot.
I want to go up to Hozomeen Lake.

Old
05-09-2010, 07:54 PM
synobyte
Canucks Cultist

i live right on green lake actually man, if you want a good place to go camp at emerald bay. Me and my buddys always party at the flats which is close to there as well.
theres nothing better than camping up here in 100 mile

synobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 09:12 PM
guest1467

Harrison is pretty good...just take the road all the way beside the lake until it hits gravel...another 5 kms and you will get to a beach(may long there will be tonnes of people there). Keep going up the logging roads past the mill and up the hill. There are a few really nice little spots with amazing views and ample space for a bunch of people and cars, no one around either, most people don't venture past the beach/river.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 03:37 PM
JuniorNelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Harrison is pretty good...just take the road all the way beside the lake until it hits gravel...another 5 kms and you will get to a beach(may long there will be tonnes of people there). Keep going up the logging roads past the mill and up the hill. There are a few really nice little spots with amazing views and ample space for a bunch of people and cars, no one around either, most people don't venture past the beach/river.
Yeah, don't go past the river. That's where the apes are.

JuniorNelson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 04:21 PM
Keeping it Blue

Quote:
How much further is it past the 'beach'? (I assume you mean the rock beach, right?) Is it before or after the wooden hot tubs?

I just discovered this place last summer and went twice but hadn't gone past the beach. Definitely going again a few times this summer; it's cheap and lax rules make up for the lack of services.

Keeping it Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 04:43 PM
VanCity Millionaires

The BC Forestry sites are the best.

http://www.sitesandtrailsbc.ca/searc...-location.aspx

VanCity Millionaires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 05:10 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Hiking or drive up... how out of the way?

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 01:46 PM
Andy Dufresne

There's also this interactive rec site map:

http://webmaps.gov.bc.ca/imf5/imf.js...true&qbuf=2500

Andy Dufresne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 07:24 PM
MeatTornado
I was born ready

Send a message via MSN to MeatTornado
Quote:
thats where my friends and I go on a nearly monthly basis every year. lots of great spots all over the place. rarely ever see people, other than the occasional dirt biker

MeatTornado is offline   Reply With Quote