HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rd. 2, Gm. 4: Bruins @ Flyers - May 7, 2010 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
05-08-2010, 10:13 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Well, I think that was a case of trying to be too perfect and avoid the icing, and get the puck in deep. Hurt that a freak like Chara was on the ice, isn't like anyone out there is used to playing against someone that tall with that much reach.

Regardless of the reason that puck has got to get deep. I think he was a little gassed as well. He was about 2 feet from the red line if I remember correctly.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 10:17 AM
LI Fly Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post

Regarding that play, though...there's something I'm much more interested in talking about. And that's whether or not it would be possible to describe the size of the dunce cap Lavi deserves for having Briere on the ice there. What. The. ****? What the **** is he thinking? I admired his decision to have Powe-Betts-Nodl out there on the shift just previous, considering how well they'd been playing. And I'm not sure whether Briere got on before the icing and then had to stay or what, but regardless...WHAT IN THE **** is he being sent out there for right there??? What really scares me about that decision, is that it suggests that Lavi is not all that in tune with how bad Briere can be defensively. But how the **** could he not be!? What the **** has he been watching since he got here? How does the head ****ing coach not know to keep Briere off the ice there?? All of the reporters were too dumb to ask him about that...but even if they had, he'd probably have made some comment about wanting two guys out there that could potentially take the draw. Well, guess ****ing what, Betts(who had just had rest because of the time-out) is your guy there...hell, even Giroux or Powe as that guy. Christ, anyone but Briere.

I was thinking the same thing right before the goal when I saw Briere out there after the draw, but then I realized we iced the puck before the timeout so whoever was out there for that goal had to be........

LI Fly Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 10:18 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
Regardless of the reason that puck has got to get deep. I think he was a little gassed as well. He was about 2 feet from the red line if I remember correctly.
Oh, definitely gassed. Why he pitchforked the puck out of the zone to get the icing and timeout when he got the puck next.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 10:27 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Oh, definitely gassed. Why he pitchforked the puck out of the zone to get the icing and timeout when he got the puck next.

That was even about 20 hard seconds or more later. It just looked to me like he got surprised by the hard backcheck and coughed it up. I definitely have no problem with Powe's game though, He hit Chara with everything but the kitchen sink.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 10:28 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 0
Yeah, I was confused as to why Briere was on the ice myself on that shift. With Richards and Powe on there as well, it's not even like it's the same line out there. That's 3 guys from 3 different lines.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 10:35 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2565
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Carcillo was on the ice after the game ended
He had what was termed as a "banged up" knee. A reporter asked Laviolette about Carcillo and supposedly the response was "talk to Paul (Holmgren)."

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 10:50 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Fly Guy View Post
I was thinking the same thing right before the goal when I saw Briere out there after the draw, but then I realized we iced the puck before the timeout so whoever was out there for that goal had to be........
This is exactly what happened, and it's something Pierre McGuire caught immediately. Nodl went off just as Briere came on and at first they weren't sure who was going to be sent back to the bench but the officials agreed that Briere had to stay on the ice.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 10:52 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Carcillo was on the ice after the game ended
He and Gags both remained on the bench even though they weren't playing. Carcillo was the last one to leave the bench for the celebration so I guess whatever the injury is, it was too bad to play on but not treatable during game time.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 10:55 AM
RIPRichardsCarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
He had what was termed as a "banged up" knee. A reporter asked Laviolette about Carcillo and supposedly the response was "talk to Paul (Holmgren)."
...which means what?

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 10:57 AM
Jester

Quote:
Yeah, I was confused as to why Briere was on the ice myself on that shift. With Richards and Powe on there as well, it's not even like it's the same line out there. That's 3 guys from 3 different lines.
Well, it was coming off an icing and Nodl had been on the ice, so it was likely mid-change. Why Briere was going on with 30 s. left is another matter.

Old
05-08-2010, 11:02 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
...which means what?
Not sure but that isn't the first time Laviolette redirected an injury question post-game to Holmgren. The only status report I read about Carcillo was "hopeful" but that is an all-encompassing response. There is an extra day to rest prior to the next game so maybe that plays into it.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 05-08-2010 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Clarity
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 11:17 AM
BWAVgal
Believe in Hextall

vCash: 50
Not dead yet. Just one win at a time.

BWAVgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 11:29 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Well, it was coming off an icing and Nodl had been on the ice, so it was likely mid-change. Why Briere was going on with 30 s. left is another matter.
Right, so who is telling him to go on the ice and not Giroux?

Old
05-08-2010, 11:34 AM
Jester

Quote:
Right, so who is telling him to go on the ice and not Giroux?
Well, presumably Giroux would have been coming on for Richards.

Old
05-08-2010, 11:40 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Well, presumably Giroux would have been coming on for Richards.
Richards had just come onto the ice though, probably what? 15 seconds before that?

I gotta think with 40 seconds left in the game, your 3 best defensive forwards are going on the ice with Giroux playing the wing, and Gagne looking like he was unavailable.

Old
05-08-2010, 11:48 AM
Jester

Quote:
Richards had just come onto the ice though, probably what? 15 seconds before that?

I gotta think with 40 seconds left in the game, your 3 best defensive forwards are going on the ice with Giroux playing the wing, and Gagne looking like he was unavailable.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't get why Briere is taking a shift with that little time left... it's at least understandable in the flow of play, but senseless if we're talking defensive draw.

Old
05-08-2010, 11:52 AM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
You know what the problem on that play actually was? Timonen left his side of the ice to go after the puck, which he failed to get to off the draw after Pronger was tied up. That put both D on the right side of the ice off the draw. The puck went back to Bergeron, and then down low to Recchi and into the net.
What Timonen did on that play wasn't much of an issue. He initially was not going to go after that puck. But when he saw Pronger tied up with a Bruin(which blocked his vision of Bergeron), he went to pick it up. That was plenty understandable. Bergeron gets there first, Timonen stays with him, and the passes from Bergeron to Wideman and back happened so fast that Timonen was still curling right there and so he again went towards Bergeron. It was all understandable from his perspective...going for that puck in the first place was a mistake, but it's easy to see why he did it...and everything he did from there on made sense.

The glaring error on that play is Briere miraculously not even knowing which point to cover. Off that draw, he skates towards where Powe is supposed to be. He finally realizes it, but it's too late. Wideman is free to do what he wants. If Briere is where he should be off that draw, that smooth setup between Wideman and Bergeron doesn't happen anything like that(and that's even taking into account Briere's poor d-skills when he can actually manage to be in the right place, haha).

People blaming Powe...well I don't know what to say about them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Fly Guy View Post
Yes, but like I said...
Quote:
And I'm not sure whether Briere got on before the icing and then had to stay or what, but regardless...WHAT IN THE **** is he being sent out there for right there???
There's no excuse. I'm not exaggerating when I say this...that's about as dumb of a decision as I have ever seen by an NHL coach. And like I said...it scares me. It says to me that Lavi is not aware of how bad Briere can be defensively...and that's a really scary thing to say about someone who has been the head coach of this team for several months.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 12:04 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I liked Gord Miller's call:

Old
05-08-2010, 12:12 PM
Jester

Quote:
What Timonen did on that play wasn't much of an issue. He initially was not going to go after that puck. But when he saw Pronger tied up with a Bruin(which blocked his vision of Bergeron), he went to pick it up. That was plenty understandable. Bergeron gets there first, Timonen stays with him, and the passes from Bergeron to Wideman and back happened so fast that Timonen was still curling right there and so he again went towards Bergeron. It was all understandable from his perspective...going for that puck in the first place was a mistake, but it's easy to see why he did it...and everything he did from there on made sense.

The glaring error on that play is Briere miraculously not even knowing which point to cover. Off that draw, he skates towards where Powe is supposed to be. He finally realizes it, but it's too late. Wideman is free to do what he wants. If Briere is where he should be off that draw, that smooth setup between Wideman and Bergeron doesn't happen anything like that(and that's even taking into account Briere's poor d-skills when he can actually manage to be in the right place, haha).

People blaming Powe...well I don't know what to say about them.
Well, if Timonen is going to go like that in that situation, that's a "have to get the puck" situation. Cuz if you don't get there, then--as was the case--the entire D is rotated to one side of the ice and your wide open to a backdoor play (unless, of course, a wing/center realizes in time what has happened and rotates back to that side of the ice.

Timonen's decision isn't terrible, but it completely opened up the defense when he didn't get to the puck.

Quote:
There's no excuse. I'm not exaggerating when I say this...that's about as dumb of a decision as I have ever seen by an NHL coach. And like I said...it scares me. It says to me that Lavi is not aware of how bad Briere can be defensively...and that's a really scary thing to say about someone who has been the head coach of this team for several months.
Well, in fairness, Lavi is operating with a really bad bench at that point. Carcillo is out, Gagne was clearly ailing, he'd just had Nodl (an AHL'er) out there...was Betts out there before Richards came on?

He didn't have a ton of flexibility with his bench at that point.

Old
05-08-2010, 12:14 PM
Ri hards

Quote:
Well, if Timonen is going to go like that in that situation, that's a "have to get the puck" situation. Cuz if you don't get there, then--as was the case--the entire D is rotated to one side of the ice and your wide open to a backdoor play (unless, of course, a wing/center realizes in time what has happened and rotates back to that side of the ice.

Timonen's decision isn't terrible, but it completely opened up the defense when he didn't get to the puck.

Well, in fairness, Lavi is operating with a really bad bench at that point. Carcillo is out, Gagne was clearly ailing, he'd just had Nodl (an AHL'er) out there...was Betts out there before Richards came on?

Betts' line was just on the ice and was making the line change to come off the ice.

Ri hards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 12:30 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:

It is a "have to get the puck" situation, but again, the circumstances there make his going for that puck understandable. If you're him, and that puck squirts to where it does(just a few feet away), and it appears that you're closest to it, you're going for it. And even once that went wrong, I wouldn't say they were "wide open" to a backdoor play when Timonen, Richards, and Pronger had positioned themselves well enough, and Bergeron had to thread that puck through all three of them. It was an incredible pass, credit where it's due.

Quote:

I considered that, and it does make it a touch less duncish...and yes, Powe-Betts-Nodl was out there previously. But that still leaves Giroux, Hartnell, Leino, Asham, JVR(one of which would've been taking Powe off...I'd say Giroux, but with Lavi choosing to send out Briere, who the hell knows?)....and then the guy I'd only have sent out with a gun to my head...Briere.

And while this is something only a Pee-wee coach should've had to do, it might have also not hurt to explain to Danny during the time-out where he was supposed to go after that face-off. I can't really blame Lavi much for that though...the fact that that needed explaining is just another reason to slap Briere across the face.

Old
05-08-2010, 12:34 PM
Jester

Quote:
It is a "have to get the puck" situation, but again, the circumstances there make his going for that puck understandable. If you're him, and that puck squirts to where it does(just a few feet away), and it appears that you're closest to it, you're going for it. And even once that went wrong, I wouldn't say they were "wide open" to a backdoor play when Timonen, Richards, and Pronger had positioned themselves well enough, and Bergeron had to thread that puck through all three of them. It was an incredible pass, credit where it's due.
Timonen also hesitated, which was also a problem. He may not have gotten the puck, but he may have been able to disrupt the pass if he hadn't.

Quote:
I considered that, and it does make it a touch less duncish...and yes, Powe-Betts-Nodl was out there previously. But that still leaves Giroux, Hartnell, Leino, Asham, JVR(one of which would've been taking Powe off...I'd say Giroux, but with Lavi sending out Briere, who the hell knows?)....and then the guy I'd only have sent out with a gun to my head...Briere.
Well, I'm sure Giroux was coming. Leino and JVR are non-options at that point, IMO (Leino is too weak on his skates for that situation, and JVR turns the puck over a bit too much). I wouldn't be a fan of Asham either. So it's really just Hartnell, Giroux, and Briere, and in fairness to Briere he is good at puck battles along the wall.

Old
05-08-2010, 12:44 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
I liked Gord Miller's call:

Yep, that's pretty awesome.
Btw, is that Giroux who's coming off the bench and sprinting towards Gagne like a maniac? (1:33)

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 12:55 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Timonen also hesitated, which was also a problem. He may not have gotten the puck, but he may have been able to disrupt the pass if he hadn't.
Well, that was an understandable moment of hesitation. It was one of, "That's Pronger's puck, oh wait, now he's tied up and the puck is right there and I can get it."

Quote:
Well, I'm sure Giroux was coming. Leino and JVR are non-options at that point, IMO (Leino is too weak on his skates for that situation, and JVR turns the puck over a bit too much). I wouldn't be a fan of Asham either. So it's really just Hartnell, Giroux, and Briere, and in fairness to Briere he is good at puck battles along the wall.
Briere is also good at having brainfarts the size of Montana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
Yep, that's pretty awesome.
Btw, is that Giroux who's coming off the bench and sprinting towards Gagne like a maniac? (1:33)
Haha, yeah, I rewound on the DVR for the replay of the bench reaction multiple times, it was so funny. For some reason, Giroux was halfway over the boards a split second before the rest of the team even reacted to the goal. I've never seen a player get on the ice so fast for a celebration.

Old
05-08-2010, 01:19 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

haha, thats the second time roo has assaulted gagne during a celebration this playoffs.

so, are boston fans still downplaying the impact gagne's injury had on the flyers??

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote