HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Wireless Router Internet

Old
05-06-2010, 08:48 PM
badfish
Habs fan in SK

vCash: 500
Wireless Router Internet

Alright weird problem.

I just moved to a new place for the summer. I'm living in the basement of an older couple who have a wireless network set up and are above average computer users for an older couple but still not very good with the terminology.

Anyway so their internet stopped working a week before I moved in and we got it to work again today after talking with a foreign technician for almost an hour. Basically had to restart the router and everything.

It worked like a charm, got high speed wireless access for about 20 minutes and then my wireless connection suddenly went to "limited or no connectivity." If I restart the router again I can connect for 20 minutes or so before the "limited or no connectivity" kicks in. Also, the desktop computer is connected to the router by a ethernet cable.

The route is a D-LINK 1301 or something (I can't connect to the router and am stealing internet right now to post this).

Any ideas on how to fix this?

badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 07:35 AM
rbochan

Sounds like the router is on its way out. Consumer stuff has a two year lifespan, if you're lucky.

rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 09:28 AM
neofury*

Sounds like the router is ****ing big time, are all the computers getting limited or no connectivity or just yours? You said you're plugged in directly?

EDIT: Sorry you mean their comp is connected direct but yours is wireless right?

Last edited by neofury*: 05-07-2010 at 09:40 AM.
neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 02:46 PM
Benny Lava

Make sure your wireless adapter isn't in power saving mode.

Benny Lava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 06:58 PM
badfish
Habs fan in SK

Alright so the router and the modem are only a few weeks old and I don't think it is broken at all.

Essentially what is happening is I connect to the network, I can stay connected to the network and have internet availability for around 15-20 minutes. After that, there is limited/no connectivity for 2 minutes or so. Then after that I am completely booted from the network. I am running Windows 7 so when I click on the wireless symbol on the task bar my network shows 5 bars. However, I try to connect to the network and I get the message 'unable to connect' i try to troubleshoot and it says 'can not find reason why it could not connect.'

Plugging into the router by ethernet cable is useless. It works for 20 minutes as well, and eventually internet stops working but it still says ethernet cable is connected

Old
05-07-2010, 07:13 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Try resetting the router with the reset button on the back and start with a clean slate. Reconfigure the whole network. If it's still happening it's probably the router.

Ricelund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 08:29 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

First, isolate the problem... plug a computer directly into the modem and see if the problems persist or not. That way we know if it is for sure the router or not.

This actually sort of sounds like a problem I had, except my internet would usually crap out during high traffic times of days (I live in an apartment complex). The problem turned out to be faulty lines connecting to my building.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 04:41 AM
Benny Lava

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish View Post
Plugging into the router by ethernet cable is useless. It works for 20 minutes as well, and eventually internet stops working but it still says ethernet cable is connected
That's a problem with your computer then. Probably your NIC.

Benny Lava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 03:41 PM
badfish
Habs fan in SK

Alright I believe I have found the problem I just am stuck for a solution as I have never seen this behavior before.

Basically, if I reset the router everything is good. I had internet connection working for a while but it was unprotected. The service technician I called yesterday told me if I want to encrypt it I should use WPA-Personal.

As soon as I enable WPA-Personal something interesting happens. Initially I am kicked off the wireless network. When I go to reconnect, my router is now broadcasting as both the SSID I've chosen ("louie" it is the name of the dog that the people I am staying with own) and the default SSID (dlink). dlink is unprotected and I can connect no problem. Louie is protected and I can connect initially then it appears I get kicked off. I do not know why it is broadcasting under both. Also, as soon as I put on the password, the signal drops from 5 bars to 2 bars for louie and 2 bars for dlink.

Old
05-08-2010, 05:38 PM
panorama01*

Are you sure that dlink isn't someone else's wireless router?
Are you connecting through the operating system's client software or through DLink client software?
Have you tried using a manual IP address?
What is the operating system?

If it's plugged in and says ethernet cable connected to the router then the problem is the link to the outside, the wide area network link. "Limited or no connectivity" means that the link between the router and the computer is such that it cannot fetch an IP address from the router's DHCP server.

I'm inclined to blame the router at this stage.

panorama01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 07:52 PM
badfish
Habs fan in SK

Quote:
Originally Posted by panorama01 View Post
Are you sure that dlink isn't someone else's wireless router?
Are you connecting through the operating system's client software or through DLink client software?
Have you tried using a manual IP address?
What is the operating system?

If it's plugged in and says ethernet cable connected to the router then the problem is the link to the outside, the wide area network link. "Limited or no connectivity" means that the link between the router and the computer is such that it cannot fetch an IP address from the router's DHCP server.

I'm inclined to blame the router at this stage.
I have everything all working fine now. I know the router isnt someone elses network because the moment I turn my router off both Louie and dlink disappear. If I leave the network unprotected and do not change the SSID then my network is fine. I have wireless access all throughout the house with good strength and the computer with ethernet works fine.

My laptop runs Windows 7, the desktop computer runs Windows XP SP3. All configuration is done through the dlink client software.

Old
05-09-2010, 10:24 PM
Gooch

I don't know if this will help or not but in my house we had an older router that sent out a wireless G signal. Early on when we had fewer devices connecting to it there wasnt much of an issue. There would be the random restart every other week or so but nothing annoying. As we started adding things like Xbox360, and Wii and whatnot into the system there seemed to be issues almost like when all the computers and then the Xbox would go on it would somewhat overload the system and just knock everything offline.

I ran across a wireless N router on clearance at target, I figured i'd give it a shot. Since configuring that router I have not had to restart it once and that was several months ago. You really might want to consider upgrading routers.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 08:59 AM
neofury*

To be honest if it's broadcasting both, I'd be inclined to wonder about

A) How long the router is going to work in general before it ****s up again.

But also:

B) How secure it actually is.

Old
05-10-2010, 09:01 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
I don't know if this will help or not but in my house we had an older router that sent out a wireless G signal. Early on when we had fewer devices connecting to it there wasnt much of an issue. There would be the random restart every other week or so but nothing annoying. As we started adding things like Xbox360, and Wii and whatnot into the system there seemed to be issues almost like when all the computers and then the Xbox would go on it would somewhat overload the system and just knock everything offline.

I ran across a wireless N router on clearance at target, I figured i'd give it a shot. Since configuring that router I have not had to restart it once and that was several months ago. You really might want to consider upgrading routers.
This.

Sometimes routers (especially older ones) are just plain and simple garb. Hardware is hardware, sometimes it lasts a life time, other times is screws up in mere hours. If it's working now I know you'll be more inclined not to upgrade but personally I know what it's like for a router to crap out on you when you need it most, in the future if my router starts to go funky, I'm going to replace it before I get to a situation where I have a raid tonight and all of the sudden it's not working properly.