HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

So who's gonna be traded out of Chicago comes this summer?

View Poll Results: Which Hawk will get traded this summer??
Brian Campbell (7,142,875 ch) 20 26.32%
Patrick Kane (6,300,000 ch) 2 2.63%
Jonathan Toews (6,300,000 ch) 1 1.32%
Cristobal Huet (5,625,000 ch) 37 48.68%
Duncan Keith (5,538,462 ch) 4 5.26%
Marian Hossa (5,275,000 ch) 4 5.26%
Patrick Sharp (3,900,000 ch) 30 39.47%
Brent Seabrook (3,500,000 ch) 3 3.95%
Dave Bolland (3,375,000 ch) 8 10.53%
Kris Versteeg (3,066,667 ch) 20 26.32%
Dustin Byfuglien (3,000,000 ch) 15 19.74%
Brent Sopel (2,333,333 ch) 16 21.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-07-2010, 01:58 AM
  #1
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,441
vCash: 500
So who's gonna be traded out of Chicago comes this summer?

The Hawks have the worst cap situation I've seen since the new CBA started. And this one is a real doozy.

They have 14 players locked to 57,5 mil for next season.

9 forwards, 4 defensemen, and 1 goalie.

More than one name will have to go.

Clearly, they will try to let go of one of Huet or Campbell, still that won't be enough, unless they can get rid of both without getting much salary back.

Could Hossa leave too?

Hawks need to make at least 4-5 mil of cap space, and Seabrook is a RFA next season who will probably cost more.


Last edited by Ozymandias: 05-07-2010 at 02:06 AM.
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 02:03 AM
  #2
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,789
vCash: 50
I'd take Versteeg/Sharp/Byfuglien/Ladd if they're available.

Throw in Niklas Hjalmarsson please.

I doubt they are available though, especially not niklas.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 02:06 AM
  #3
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,789
vCash: 50
If campbell weren't such a long contract I could live with 7.1 mil for a few years. He's a top pairing d man, speed, physical at times, decent player, but it's just wayyy too long.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 02:07 AM
  #4
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,096
vCash: 500
I don't think Chicago's in that precarious of a situation. Dump Huet and a contract like Versteeg's. They can also make room by removing Sopel's $2.3m cap hit.

Versteeg's nice and all, but not integral to the Hawks, and his role could be filled pretty easily. Huet's easy to toss, and Sopel's a marginal bottom-pairing defenseman replaceable by Hendry or one of the other youngsters that Chicago has ready--or, if vet presence is wanted, then even Boynton is sufficient as a #6, and probably would re-sign cheap.

Hossa doesn't enter the picture, nor does Campbell. Both are integral to the team's success, which will not be jeopardized by the cap.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 02:08 AM
  #5
Player 61
#Winning
 
Player 61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,143
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
You added guys that are signed, Keith is their Robinson, for get it!

Player 61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 02:09 AM
  #6
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,441
vCash: 500
Will Huet get traded to the Flyers?

If the NHL is deadset on raising the bird from the ashes of the heated desert, they might take on Campbell.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 02:14 AM
  #7
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23Hab View Post
You added guys that are signed, Keith is their Robinson, for get it!
Wow... talk about jumping to conclusions.. Reread the question, if you haven't noticed, I included ALL the players that would make a difference on the cap space if traded and who ARE ALL SIGNED for next season. ALL of them. The two other players signed for next season are at 1 and 1,2 mil of cap space, hardly worth considering if you have cap space to free up.

Pardon me for giving every option available to the question at hand.

Next time, read, take a deep breath, read again, and then read again. Just to make sure you get the whole idea of the question right.

Now, as for trading Keith, did you see me chose him in the poll? No, as I don't think he would either. But it certainly helps to understand the whole dilema if people can see all the high salaries they have and the hard decisions they will have to make.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 02:22 AM
  #8
uiCk
GrEmelins
 
uiCk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,284
vCash: 500
probably gonna try and get rid of their overpayed bums... and keep all their good players

uiCk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 02:27 AM
  #9
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I don't think Chicago's in that precarious of a situation. Dump Huet and a contract like Versteeg's. They can also make room by removing Sopel's $2.3m cap hit.

Versteeg's nice and all, but not integral to the Hawks, and his role could be filled pretty easily. Huet's easy to toss, and Sopel's a marginal bottom-pairing defenseman replaceable by Hendry or one of the other youngsters that Chicago has ready--or, if vet presence is wanted, then even Boynton is sufficient as a #6, and probably would re-sign cheap.

Hossa doesn't enter the picture, nor does Campbell. Both are integral to the team's success, which will not be jeopardized by the cap.
So without Huet, Versteeg and Sopel, it's 8 forwards, 3 ds and 0 goalies for 46,7 mil of cap hit. 11 players signed, 12 spots to fill, about 11 mil left in free space. They'll have to fill the rest of the team (6 forwards, 4 ds, and 2 goalies, with players averaging 1m for the whole lot). That's not much to work with, no matter the core you already have in place.

Andrew Ladd RFA at 1,55 and eligible to arbitration
Ante Niemi is on arbitration comes next July.

Huet is a big salary to take on for a goalie, and Chicago might be getting some salary back.


Their problems will extend to next season when they have Seabrook and Byfuglien to pay up.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 02:44 AM
  #10
Player 61
#Winning
 
Player 61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,143
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Wow... talk about jumping to conclusions.. Reread the question, if you haven't noticed, I included ALL the players that would make a difference on the cap space if traded and who ARE ALL SIGNED for next season. ALL of them. The two other players signed for next season are at 1 and 1,2 mil of cap space, hardly worth considering if you have cap space to free up.

Pardon me for giving every option available to the question at hand.

Next time, read, take a deep breath, read again, and then read again. Just to make sure you get the whole idea of the question right.

Now, as for trading Keith, did you see me chose him in the poll? No, as I don't think he would either. But it certainly helps to understand the whole dilema if people can see all the high salaries they have and the hard decisions they will have to make.
No I know what you mean, just that they will keep the team intact rather that sell off parts, mistakes or not they have a great core, no rush...

Player 61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 02:47 AM
  #11
Player 61
#Winning
 
Player 61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,143
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Trust me, were all on the same team...

Player 61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 02:48 AM
  #12
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban
 
Team_Spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 20,348
vCash: 700
Hawks fans don't even talk about it. I don't understand why Habs fans would talk about it in the middle of the playoffs like that..

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=645478 (1 post this month)

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 09:21 AM
  #13
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
I think it would be a pretty retarded thread if he only included players he thought they would move, for you to choose from. Clearly he included all of the ones that would effect their cap, come on guys nitpicking on the fact that some of these players are signed? Well duh, they wouldn't have cap problems if they were going UFA.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 09:33 AM
  #14
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 13,429
vCash: 500
Cammy-Plekanec-Byfuglien/ Ladd/ Sharp ?

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 10:11 AM
  #15
Perrah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,814
vCash: 500
I imagine sharp will go and probably try to package him with something they want to dump, ala campbell, I can see huet getting buried in the minors he gets paid too much to be a back up, and they have crawford who can back up niemi.

I thought chicago would be a team interested in one of our goalies but niemi is playing solid in the playoffs but you never know since ole scotty was high on price and stan is the gm there. I cant see them getting rid of Byfuglien because he is a luongo killer and they will be meeting in the playoffs for atleast a few more years, and versteeg is a beauty they will keep him.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 10:15 AM
  #16
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL
 
YMCMBeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,432
vCash: 500
Byfuglien is lazy a lot of the time... if he showed up on a consistent basis he'd be a very good player. I'm a big fan of Patrick Sharp and think he'd look amazing with Cammalleri and Plekanec.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 10:28 AM
  #17
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy
 
ChuckyToGally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Cammy-Plekanec-Byfuglien/ Ladd/ Sharp ?
Sharp would be a great fit but not the others...

Sadly, he would cost too much to acquire.

ChuckyToGally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 10:32 AM
  #18
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 12,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79 André Marcoux View Post
Sharp would be a great fit but not the others...

Sadly, he would cost too much to acquire.
just picks...no players, they can't take the salary back on...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 10:36 AM
  #19
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy
 
ChuckyToGally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
just picks...no players, they can't take the salary back on...
Our 2010 1st would be the starting point. Then, we would have to add our 2nd or a prospect with similar value.

Would you do that?

ChuckyToGally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 10:42 AM
  #20
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 13,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79 André Marcoux View Post
Our 2010 1st would be the starting point. Then, we would have to add our 2nd or a prospect with similar value.

Would you do that?
NOOOOOOOO way he's worth a 1st round pick, not in Chicago's current situation and especially not at his salary.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 10:45 AM
  #21
Perrah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79 André Marcoux View Post
Our 2010 1st would be the starting point. Then, we would have to add our 2nd or a prospect with similar value.

Would you do that?
Depends where the habs finish, if they make it to the next round I would for sure, prolly even if they didnt. Sharp is only 29 and making a good cap salary, good in both ends. Puts him in the same age as most of our top 6. It would mean Andrei being gone though I imagine.

And to him not being worth it above this, there will be alot of people trying to take what the blackhawks are trying to get rid of so it wont be that big of a bargain basement. They will send huet down before they get severely hosed in a trade.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 10:48 AM
  #22
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 13,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrah View Post
Depends where the habs finish, if they make it to the next round I would for sure, prolly even if they didnt. Sharp is only 29 and making a good cap salary, good in both ends. Puts him in the same age as most of our top 6. It would mean Andrei being gone though I imagine.

And to him not being worth it above this, there will be alot of people trying to take what the blackhawks are trying to get rid of so it wont be that big of a bargain basement they will send huet down before they get severely hosed in a trade.
Well i think 4 mil is a lot of Sharp. Remember he had his best season feeding off Toews and Kane.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 10:52 AM
  #23
Perrah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Well i think 4 mil is a lot of Sharp. Remember he had his best season feeding off Toews and Kane.
Fair enough, I think he would do well with pleks and cammalleri though. Deal andrei away somewheres else as that will probably happen anyways.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 10:56 AM
  #24
Lucius
Registered User
 
Lucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
Huet to Rockford.

Problem solved.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 11:09 AM
  #25
Montreal Typical
Registered User
 
Montreal Typical's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Moreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Huet to Rockford.

Problem solved.
You assume that the owner is willing to lose 11M over the next two years for no good reason.

Montreal Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:47 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.