HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers interested in Zherdev II

Old
05-10-2010, 07:07 PM
nyr2417

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
I watched a couple of his KHL interviews awhile ago, he really looks to have matured. The sky is the limit with this kid, he's worth it.

4 year 14 million dollar contract imo.
I'm one of the very few people who will 100% agree with you on this. For a guy that put up 60+ points when he was 22/23 years old I think having him in his prime for a cap hit of 3.5 is a huge bargain.

nyr2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 08:08 PM
SkerZ
LGR

Didn't Zipay say there was no truth to the rumor of the Rangers speaking to Nik Z

SkerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 08:43 PM
HockeyGuy1985*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweiker17 View Post
even though he was a no show in the playoffs, i still miss him, and would love to see him back

Who exactly showed up?

Dubinsky has been our best playoff performer in recent years. Thats the one reason why I wouldnt wanna trade him, but any time anyone uses Zherdev's playoffs last year as a testament to his 'invisibility' they need to realize that nobody showed up in last years playoffs, and im not pointing the finger at you specifically, im just saying.

Is Drury superior because he got a point? is Callahan superior because he got 2 points?

Please.

Lets also keep in mind it was his first taste of the playoffs.

HockeyGuy1985* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 08:46 PM
NYR Viper

I wouldnt mind Zherdev back if Torts is willing to work with him. 2-3 years @ 3 million/season would be fair if he wants to come back to the NHL.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 08:53 PM
HockeyGuy1985*

Anything 3 million and under is fine.

He was always rumored to have wanted to play in Russia, and he finally got his chance this past year to play in the KHL. He got what he supposedly wanted all these years and fared pretty well (39 points in 52 games I think).

Now he still wants to come back to the NHL? That doesnt say something?

He is instantly the second best player on the team, if signed. We are a team that just lacks sheer talent, and Zherdev is a player that has alot of it. You can fill your roster with all the hard work and no talent guys all you want, eventually talent will overcome. You need talent guys if you want to get anywhere in this league.

We need offense, and Zherdev has plenty of it. Otherwise, like I said before, overpay for a Marleau or Plekanec or simply take your pick with some shmuck from a Million Dollar Shootout. The FA forward pool is incredibly thin this year.

Old
05-10-2010, 08:55 PM
NYR Viper

If the Rangers can sign MZA and Zherdev and replace Prospal and Jokinen with those 2 players I would be happy. They get younger and don't lose any/very little skill.

Old
05-10-2010, 08:57 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Gaborik, Zherdev, MZA. Thats a lot of finesse wingers for a NA style coach, IMO.

Before anyone says anything, im not advocating going after a Voros, or Kotalik, so i'll stop the wise-ass comments before they even occur. But I think MZA in theory will accomplish on the RW what Zherdev did, for much cheaper.

Get me A. A star winger, and I mean real star like primary offensive threat.
or
B. A physical top 4 defenseman
or C. Stay the course and wait for a better UFA year where we have more funds.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 09:00 PM
HockeyGuy1985*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Gaborik, Zherdev, MZA. Thats a lot of finesse wingers for a NA style coach, IMO.

Before anyone says anything, im not advocating going after a Voros, or Kotalik, so i'll stop the wise-ass comments before they even occur. But I think MZA in theory will accomplish on the RW what Zherdev did, for much cheaper.

or
It wouldnt hurt to sign Zherdev to a year at 3 million though and see how he does. This virtually has no effect on option C.

Old
05-10-2010, 09:01 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:

or
Prospal and Jokinen were pretty much finesse players though. Torts said he lacked skill players. Getting MZA(who is pretty feisty, not totally finesse) and Zherdev would solve that.

Old
05-10-2010, 09:09 PM
HockeyGuy1985*

Tortorella knows he needs skill guys. He relied on Gaborik all year to carry the offense, and you know damn well he wanted to throw Sather under the bus for not assembling a team with more skill.

Old
05-10-2010, 10:12 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuy1985 View Post
It wouldnt hurt to sign Zherdev to a year at 3 million though and see how he does. This virtually has no effect on option C.
That is if Zherdev will take that amount? He has not come out and said I want $3 million, he may want more, possibly a good amount more and if he is as good as some people think he is on this board he may get offered more than $3 million from a much better team with a coach who will actually work with him.

If he is willing to accept $3 million a year for 2 years, maybe 3 tops, then he is an option.

Lombardi, who is not as talented, can play 1st line center with gaborik, provide similar numbers to what zherdev will and fills a need. The 2nd line rw is MZA's as far as I am concerned.

Zherdev is not the only option, an option yes, but one who didn't work with this coach, but everyone gets a second chance these days. I am more of a never forget the past type guy, because history repeats itself, and Zherdev's history with Torts isn't anything worth writing about.

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 10:30 PM
captain9nyr
@captain9nyr

Send a message via AIM to captain9nyr
In all seriousness, outside of one player, this team as a whole couldn't score in a brothel with a handful of hundreds, so outside of dropping some massive cash for some obscene length of time, I think we should be open to all possibilities, and that includes Zherdev.

captain9nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 05:09 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grachev View Post
I think we should get Kotalik back instead.
I rather go with Afinegenov.

His personality aside, I think Zherdevs style alone is a bad fit with Torts. Like Z loves to slow down the tempo and cris-cross his way to the net. Its nothing wrong with that, but its not a fit in Torts system. Afinegenov plays with much more speed in his game.

Also, MZA is a RW and I don't think either he nor Z is a good fit on the left side. While MZA might 100% not be ready -- I rather go with a LW.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 08:25 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Re-sign him; we shouldn't have let him go in the first place. At least we know what he can do here in NY instead of signing a UFA who has never played here (that tends to work out against our favor).

Only problem is we still don't have a top line center if Z gets signed in place of Prospal

Last edited by Stugots: 05-11-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 08:40 AM
Matteau Matteau

Quote:
Maybe...but look at the success Montreal is having with the Smurf Line.

Matteau Matteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 09:02 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Prospal and Jokinen were pretty much finesse players though. Torts said he lacked skill players. Getting MZA(who is pretty feisty, not totally finesse) and Zherdev would solve that.
Until we see what MZA is, its too early to count on him for anything much less replacing a 50 point player.

05-11-2010, 09:27 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Until we see what MZA is, its too early to count on him for anything much less replacing a 50 point player.
Confirmation of actually signing the guy would be a good place to start, too.

haohmaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 09:30 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Oh, and Zipay adds this to throw water onto the fire:

"I'm not sure who you guys and gals are reading or believing, but as I tweeted three days ago, the Rangers are not, repeat NOT, talking to Nik Zherdev. I have it from the team. Ain't happening.

We dwell in this 24/7-info global echo chamber. Don't just wholeheartedly accept what you read in the unconfirmed sports blogosphere. I posted the Russian tweet, tried to confirm soon after. Was told no."

per Blue Notes

haohmaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 09:35 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Until we see what MZA is, its too early to count on him for anything — much less replacing a 50 point player.
agree totally. hes unproven and we need to temper our enthusiasm.

right now our top 9 forwards look like this

gaby-1st liner
ec-waiver pickup who will be centering our 1st line
prospal- maybe hell resign for cheap and even still, hes old and due for a down yr
mza-eurodwarf whos played zero nhl games.
dubi-3rd line centerman, maybe 2nd line winger who isnt consistent
arty-3rd line centerman who projects to 2nd liner
cally-3rd line grinder type who should not be on the 1st pp unit.
capt quaalude-4th line center/pk guy who shouldnt be playing over 15 min a night
avery-3rd liner who can play on the 2nd line when hes paying attention

thats um... not very good. im worried.

zherdev would sure look better on the 2nd line than who we have now but it aint gonna happen so we need to move on.

we are in serious need of improving our offense peeps. leave the defense alone, dump redden and add a seidenberg or a cube type low cost fa dman but please for the love of god..

FIND US SOME FREEKIN GOALS.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 09:42 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
agree totally. hes unproven and we need to temper our enthusiasm.

right now our top 9 forwards look like this

gaby-1st liner
ec-waiver pickup who will be centering our 1st line
prospal- maybe hell resign for cheap and even still, hes old and due for a down yr
mza-eurodwarf whos played zero nhl games.
dubi-3rd line centerman, maybe 2nd line winger who isnt consistent
arty-3rd line centerman who projects to 2nd liner
cally-3rd line grinder type who should not be on the 1st pp unit.
capt quaalude-4th line center/pk guy who shouldnt be playing over 15 min a night
avery-3rd liner who can play on the 2nd line when hes paying attention

thats um... not very good. im worried.

zherdev would sure look better on the 2nd line than who we have now but it aint gonna happen so we need to move on.

we are in serious need of improving our offense peeps. leave the defense alone, dump redden and add a seidenberg or a cube type low cost fa dman but please for the love of god..

FIND US SOME FREEKIN GOALS.
Hahahahaha +1. I agree with your sentiments about being worried. I am as well. Why not Z though? He's probably our best chance at improving our offense this off-season at a reasonable price.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 10:01 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Hahahahaha +1. I agree with your sentiments about being worried. I am as well. Why not Z though? He's probably our best chance at improving our offense this off-season at a reasonable price.
pretty sure the zherdev thing is bogus.

i would be shocked if torts would have him back.

they will do something, they have to. they cant go to battle with those top 9 forwards and expect to win.

i have a gut feeling that we will be wheeling and dealing at the draft this year. plyers for picks or just to move up.

we need an impact player who can step right in and help us this year for cheap. that means a kid whos ready to play now in the draft or a kid with another organization whos ready to step in.

either way, if im one of these 4 guys, im worried if ill even be with the team in camp.

dubi
girardi
gilroy
rozy- tho im less inclined to move him if we dump redden to hartford.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 10:18 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I rather go with Afinegenov.
After seeing what Ruff did to Afinogenov's confidence in Buffalo, I can't see him signing with a team who has another screamer behind the bench.

I think he'll stay in Atlanta anyway.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 10:56 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Zherdev replaces Prospal.

MZA replaces Jokinen and his 15 or so points at the end of th season + Kotalik and his 22 points before he left. That is 37 points, not 50.

I just meant replace his spot in the lineup and I can deal with the struggles of a young player, I will not however deal with the struggles of a mediocre, overpaid veteran.

Old
05-11-2010, 11:05 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Zherdev replaces Prospal.

MZA replaces Jokinen and his 15 or so points at the end of th season + Kotalik and his 22 points before he left. That is 37 points, not 50.

I just meant replace his spot in the lineup and I can deal with the struggles of a young player, I will not however deal with the struggles of a mediocre, overpaid veteran.
So the team breaks even? Isn't the goal to get better? We can all hate on Jokinen, but the guy puts up 50 points in a bad season. To ask MZA to replace that is asking too much right now.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 12:34 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
So the team breaks even? Isn't the goal to get better? We can all hate on Jokinen, but the guy puts up 50 points in a bad season. To ask MZA to replace that is asking too much right now.
Well, I think we assume that MDZ, Anisimov are going to improve, right? Anisimov has show Nik Antropov-esque potential, in my mind, and MDZ getting 50 points isnt out of the question. Drury is also due for a better offensive season. I know ive been saying that every year since his first one here, but I think 22-25 goals shouldn't surprise anyone.

So its about our kids growing here. Also, I think another full season with Gaborik might help Christensen.

We can improve. And fixing an offense isnt a one-season process, as I said last offseason. If we do it slowly and steadily, we wont end up with Drurys and Gomezes.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote