HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gillis vs Moj

Old
05-07-2010, 02:18 PM
FruityPants3*

vCash: 500
Gillis vs Moj

Anyone else hear this in the morning?

BM: Mike can you talk about that a little bit more and expand on it? You talk about defining the Canucks game and as you probably know, everyone in this town has suggestions on how the team can improve their game tonight against the Blackhawks.
MG: Is this Bob?
BM: Yeah
MG: You're the big bald guy, right?
BM: Yeah, I'm the big bald guy.
MG: You were eating all the food in the press box when we were in Chicago? (chuckle)
BM: What's that got to do with my question?
MG: Well I didn't actually, I never have been introduced to you and I said hello. Just making sure you were the same guy.
BM: Yeah that's me.

Then it goes on from there.

Awwwwwwwkkward.

http://www.teamradio.ca/podcasts/
Hour 3, starts at 13:51.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 02:22 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Nice deflection, Mike. This guy should seriously teach communications classes.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 02:31 PM
rye&ginger

hah. Mike is always taking shots at the interviewers on the TEAM. Not sure its beacuse he really hates them or is joking around.

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 02:32 PM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1125
Aw, I must have missed that part when I was going to get some soup

Winnipeg Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 02:35 PM
Soth

lol - I guess he was trying to see how long he could insult the guy without being called for it.

'Hey, you're the bald fatty that buried his face in the food like a pig at a trough right?'

Soth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 02:36 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soth View Post
lol - I guess he was trying to see how long he could insult the guy without being called for it.

'Hey, you're the bald fatty that buried his face in the food like a pig at a trough right?'
Much better than answering questions as to why games 2 and 3 looked like Carbon Copies of last years' Chicago series?

Gillis should be teaching spokespersons how to deflect questions. Even Ari Fleischer could take some lessons.

Old
05-07-2010, 02:44 PM
alternate

I heard it live, and even though I'm a big Moj fan, I thought he was carrying on like a 14 year-old girl suffering her first yeast infection. Jeez, moj, its the playoffs, man up already.

And his position that the Canucks should not have had an "objective" of splitting the first two games in Chicago sounded more like a position Pratt would take. I mean almost every road team ever has set out withb the objective of splitting the first two. Sure you'd like to take both, but realistic goal-setting is important for finding success. Its too bad cuz I used to think Moj was a glimmer of intelligence in the Vancouver media, but today I was like

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 03:35 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

I heard it too, Gillis shouldn't have gone there.

MOJ was clearly hurt by Gillis belittling him, his voice was trembling on the air - if he was acting, he should get an Oscar.

BMAC sort of added fuel to the fire by prodding MOJ to vent - not sure if BMAC was doing it to increase ratings, give MOJ a chance to respond, or get MOJ to say something really stupid - but it worked.

MOJ indulged by saying something to the effect that he was espousing what Walsh - famous ex-coach of the 49ers - believed in, and then added something to the effect that Gillis had never won anything. He was basically biting the hand that feeds him - no pun intended!

I'm sure Gillis is under duress from all sides right now and MOJ sure seems like he never ***** the **** up (that's his job I guess) but still I hope Gillis takes the high road in the future.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 03:38 PM
Kid Canuck*

Gillis owned him through the whole interview.

Kid Canuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 03:43 PM
petrishriekandgo

MOJ is an absolute idiot so I have no issues with MG taken' it to him...

petrishriekandgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 03:56 PM
Hollywood Burrows

It sucks that Gillis basically only does interviews on the TEAM, where the people asking the questions don't know WTF they're talking about. Actually, Gillis probably likes it that way, cause he can get through the interview without giving anything away or saying anything of significance.

Also, I thought "MOJ" jokes about being a big fat guy all the time, I don't see why he'd be upset about Gillis ribbing him.

Hollywood Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 03:57 PM
Cromulence
Up and at them!

Moj is a complete tool. He knows far less about hockey than any average poster here. He just blabs and blabs about crap when he's completely off-base. He also finds a way to compare every single hockey situation to football, becasue he'd rather talk about it. I'm always dissapointed when he's on the radio. He interviewed Darryl Sydor and kept talking about how the guy went to two Cup finals with the Stars and the Devils when he did it twice as a Star, once with the Devils, and once as a rookie with the Kings. I knew that without even having to look anything up. Moj interviewed the guy.

It's also amazing how often one of Moj's friends calls in and blabs about some stupid story at a bar or a golf tournament. Then we get to hear Moj re-tell the story for ten minutes. The guy is a complete tool. For the most part, I agree with what he was saying, and I'm still glad Gillis belittled him.

Cromulence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 04:04 PM
lush
@jasonlush

I really wish I could find the link to this, I wasn't sure what segment it was in their podcast section but then clicking on each them takes me to a page of html text that doesn't actually have any files

lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 04:05 PM
Alan Jackson

I've actually met Bob a couple of times, and he was extremely friendly and engaging. I didn't hear the interview, so until I do I shouldn't comment, but in print those comments from Gillis seem sort of unkind and unprofessional.

It's one thing to take the piss out of a buddy, but to belitle somebody that you've never been introduced to seems like odd behaviour.

I like much of what Gillis has done, but I think he can stop looking down his nose at the rest of us until his team has actually accomplished something.

Last edited by Alan Jackson: 05-07-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Alan Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 04:20 PM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1125
Lol, they're talking about it right now.

Winnipeg Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 04:26 PM
SonicY
Ad hominem

I personally LOVE MG's sense of humor, as it's dryness mirrors mine. I don't think there was anything malicious in what he said, and I think Moj overreacted, as did BMac, who went all Jerry Springer trying to induce some sort of confrontation.

SonicY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 04:31 PM
Kid Canuck*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicY View Post
I personally LOVE MG's sense of humor, as it's dryness mirrors mine. I don't think there was anything malicious in what he said, and I think Moj overreacted, as did BMac, who went all Jerry Springer trying to induce some sort of confrontation.
It's true, like Gillis gives 2 cents about some overweight punk on the radio and a bunch of sheep listeners. He won't lose any sleep over this or affect his life in any way what so ever. It is what is was and what is was was halarious. The fact that Gillis even knows who "Bob" is should be flattering to the guy. I am so glad I don't listen to this crap day after day like some of the drones in this city who need to draw conclusions by what they hear from someone else. These are the same type of people that care who is broadcasting a game on tv rather then turning the sound off if it bothers them, during commercial breaks complaining about east side marios rather then pissing or getting beer.

Kid Canuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 04:37 PM
SonicY
Ad hominem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Canuck View Post
It's true, like Gillis gives 2 cents about some overweight punk on the radio and a bunch of sheep listeners. He won't lose any sleep over this or affect his life in any way what so ever. It is what is was and what is was was halarious. The fact that Gillis even knows who "Bob" is should be flattering to the guy. I am so glad I don't listen to this crap day after day like some of the drones in this city who need to draw conclusions by what they hear from someone else. These are the same type of people that care who is broadcasting a game on tv rather then turning the sound off if it bothers them, during commercial breaks complaining about east side marios rather then pissing or getting beer.
East Side Mario's, the place...to be...

SonicY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 04:58 PM
BloatedGuppy

Quote:
East Side Mario's, the place...to be...
For food, and fun...and family.

LA LA...LA LA LA LA LA...

Seriously though, the Moj talked about something other than football? Did his head explode from the effort?

BloatedGuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 05:02 PM
Balls Mahoney
The Tryamkin Era!!!

I was watching Game Three with a room full of my people. Those Mario commercials sparked an interesting conversation about the culture of Canada. I tried to defend Canada saying Canadians hate those commercials too but to no avail. It's interesting that not only are those commercials annoying but stereotyping a culture of people. Maybe you guys could file a class action lawsuit?

Balls Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 05:03 PM
kevinBOOMBOOMbieksa

Wow, just listening to it and damn was it taken the wrong way. I mean, his tone seemed like it was just kidding around and then when the joke did not take, he left it and moved onto business.

Some real idiots drawing huge conclusions about nothing going on air.

Also, every team in the league says what gillis says after losing game 2. They say, we're not happy about losing #2 but we came in and got home ice advantage where we have been the top team all year.

kevinBOOMBOOMbieksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 05:03 PM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

i think the worst show in the history of sports talk radio was in the early days of the team 1040 when pratt and moj co-hosted the afternoon show

at least now don taylor can save pratt's show from being insufferable, but this early version was brutal

Jack Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 05:04 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
I was watching Game Three with a room full of my people. Those Mario commercials sparked an interesting conversation about the culture of Canada. I tried to defend Canada saying Canadians hate those commercials too but to no avail. It's interesting that not only are those commercials annoying but stereotyping a culture of people. Maybe you guys could file a class action lawsuit?
I think if its stereotyping anyone, its Italian-Canadians.

Bippity-Bappaty?

Old
05-07-2010, 05:18 PM
lush
@jasonlush

http://www.team1040.ca/podcast/bmac_...y_7_Hour3~.mp3

Here is the link to the file

lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 05:22 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
I like his humour, too. It's very dry. But as a general manager at the level, you should be more professional than that. As the radio host of a sports station, you should probably roll with the punches better, too.

Those saying it's ok because they don't like Moj or his hockey knowledge are probably complete hypocrites. What a terrible line of reasoning.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote