HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Is Bettman basically saying it's best when it's a Canada/USA Gold Medal game?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-26-2010, 10:56 PM
  #1
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go
 
MapleLeafsFan4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,275
vCash: 500
Is Bettman basically saying it's best when it's a Canada/USA Gold Medal game?

I was listening to Gary Bettman's press conference from the World Hockeu Summit on XM NHL Home Ice and while he didn't actually say the 1998 and 2006 Olympic Hockey tournaments were horrible he did mention how Vancouver 2010 was great and I assume he would say the same about 2002 in Salt Lake City, since both finals had Canada vs USA. Since the 1998 final was Russa vs Czech Repbulic and 2006 was Sweeden vs Findland I realize that match up would not appeal to most North American fans and I am sure the NHL always wishes the final would be Canada vs USA, however we know that is never a sure thing. So was Bettman wrong about those comments?

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline  
Old
08-27-2010, 12:36 AM
  #2
LannysStach
Thou shall
 
LannysStach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NYC & Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,513
vCash: 500
of course, from the NHL's point of view — that's what's best and that's what he's saying.

the two times it was played in N.A. the homeboys did well.

the two times it was played in places most Americans could find on a map and it was not in prime-time, the homeboys didn't succeed, and the TV audiences weren't nearly as big.

at least about that he has a point.

LannysStach is offline  
Old
08-27-2010, 03:56 AM
  #3
zorz
Registered User
 
zorz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,913
vCash: 500
Bettman is a clown and people shouldn't take so serious anything he's saying.

zorz is offline  
Old
08-27-2010, 09:13 AM
  #4
afrobomber11
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Flin Flon Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 379
vCash: 500
i think it was more ideal for his north american market

afrobomber11 is offline  
Old
08-27-2010, 09:15 AM
  #5
Sanderson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 4,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
Bettman is a clown and people shouldn't take so serious anything he's saying.
No, he's not, but people who have no idea what he's doing often like to pretend that he is.

From the league's point of view, the further Canada and USA get, and the better the games are placed to accomodate American viewers, the better is the impact the Olympics have.

That's a rather obvious remark, and since Bettman is speaking for the league, it obviously isn't wrong. It's not like he's suggesting that those two countries should get an automatic seed in the semi-finals, he was merely describing the impact.

Sanderson is offline  
Old
08-27-2010, 02:36 PM
  #6
joe89
#5
 
joe89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,584
vCash: 500
His agenda is more about the OG's at North American soil being good for promoting the league. He'd obviously prefer a USA-Sweden final in NA over a USA-Canada in Europe. He'd probably prefer an all Europe matchup in NA over USA-Canada in Europe.. Needless to say both NA matchup and soil is the best for his interests.

One thing I always feel whenever I hear him though, is that he is not really a hockey fan, he is a fan of his league and his league's agenda to grow in NA. He couldn't care less about what's going on in Europe and that is why the communication between the NHL and IIHF is poor at best. Most of us Europeans can actually understand the NHL's standpoint, but he doesn't seem to grasp that the hockey culture over here with the Nations teams are different. Thus why the sport need World Champs every year for revenues and promotion in Europe.

joe89 is offline  
Old
08-27-2010, 10:28 PM
  #7
Jussi
No strings on me
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 45,246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
His agenda is more about the OG's at North American soil being good for promoting the league. He'd obviously prefer a USA-Finland final in NA over a USA-Canada in Europe. He'd probably prefer an all Europe matchup in NA over USA-Canada in Europe.. Needless to say both NA matchup and soil is the best for his interests.
Fixed that for you.

Jussi is offline  
Old
08-28-2010, 06:03 PM
  #8
BladesofSTEELwFIRE
Registered User
 
BladesofSTEELwFIRE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafsFan2010 View Post
I was listening to Gary Bettman's press conference from the World Hockeu Summit on XM NHL Home Ice and while he didn't actually say the 1998 and 2006 Olympic Hockey tournaments were horrible he did mention how Vancouver 2010 was great and I assume he would say the same about 2002 in Salt Lake City, since both finals had Canada vs USA. Since the 1998 final was Russa vs Czech Repbulic and 2006 was Sweeden vs Findland I realize that match up would not appeal to most North American fans and I am sure the NHL always wishes the final would be Canada vs USA, however we know that is never a sure thing. So was Bettman wrong about those comments?
ALL you guys know NOTHING can compare the 87 Canada Cup, Canada vs. Soviet Union.

The 3 greatest games EVER played of ANY sport. Even Gretzky said hockey will never be same again after the fall of the Soviet Union and he was right!

All 3 games of the 87 Canada Cup are on DVD and they even have a hardbound coffee table full color book on it.

After seeing how horribly the Russians played against Canada this past Olympics you long for those glory days. Just for the competition. I'm not saying I'm a Russia fan over Canada.

BTW, the 87 Canada Cup clearly had the refs in the pockets of Canada since they were CANADIAN refs for cryin out loud!! The Soviets clearly played better together as a TEAM. Back then they played much of the year together anyway so it isn't surprising!

Sorry for the digression!

BladesofSTEELwFIRE is offline  
Old
08-28-2010, 09:20 PM
  #9
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!
 
MetalheadPenguinsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,385
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BladesofSTEELwFIRE View Post
ALL you guys know NOTHING can compare the 87 Canada Cup, Canada vs. Soviet Union.

The 3 greatest games EVER played of ANY sport. Even Gretzky said hockey will never be same again after the fall of the Soviet Union and he was right!

All 3 games of the 87 Canada Cup are on DVD and they even have a hardbound coffee table full color book on it.
Are you referring to that "Blade Wars" 3 disk DVD set (that I sadly do not have because I can't find it online for sale nowadays ) or is there something even better out there now?

Also what's the name of the book you're referring to? Lemme know.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline  
Old
08-28-2010, 09:34 PM
  #10
Nakawick
Registered User
 
Nakawick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafsFan2010 View Post
I was listening to Gary Bettman's press conference from the World Hockeu Summit on XM NHL Home Ice and while he didn't actually say the 1998 and 2006 Olympic Hockey tournaments were horrible he did mention how Vancouver 2010 was great and I assume he would say the same about 2002 in Salt Lake City, since both finals had Canada vs USA. Since the 1998 final was Russa vs Czech Repbulic and 2006 was Sweeden vs Findland I realize that match up would not appeal to most North American fans and I am sure the NHL always wishes the final would be Canada vs USA, however we know that is never a sure thing. So was Bettman wrong about those comments?
Betman was talking about the Olympic games as it relates to the NHL, which is what his jurisdiction is. The interview with Rene Fasel earlier in the week I found interesting. He is suppose to represent the IIHF (which I incorrectly assumed included North America), but his comments made it sound like he was the new dictator of Europe. He showed his true colors in that the first "I" in IIHF should be replaced by an "E".

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=331552

"This is our territory and I will fight like hell to not allow anybody to come from abroad," Fasel said. "I think in Europe we are strong enough to do something on our own, and then have the competition between Europe and North America. That makes the fan happy."

Nakawick is offline  
Old
08-31-2010, 12:45 PM
  #11
BladesofSTEELwFIRE
Registered User
 
BladesofSTEELwFIRE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Are you referring to that "Blade Wars" 3 disk DVD set (that I sadly do not have because I can't find it online for sale nowadays ) or is there something even better out there now?

Also what's the name of the book you're referring to? Lemme know.

"Not since the summit series has an international hockey battle displayed such prowess, skill and excitement.

Some thought that nothing could rival the classic series in '72 - but rival it did. With premier players at the peaks of their careers, and some of today's prominent stars elevating their game, the 1987 Canada Cup was hockey at it's finest."

That's actually an understatement since it was even better than that!

http://www.dvd-movie-sales.com/canada-cup-87.html

You will NEVER see a Team Canada again with THIS much star power!!

Glenn Anderson, Ray Bourque, Paul Coffey, Doug Crossman, Kevin Dineen, Mike Gartner, Doug Gilmour, Michel Goulet, Wayne Gretzky, Craig Hartsburg, Dale Hawerchuk, Claude Lemieux, Mario Lemieux, Mark Messier, Larry Murphy, James Patrick, Brian Propp, Normand Rochefort, Brent Sutter, Grant Fuhr, Ron Hextall and Rick Tocchet.


I saw the book profiled before but I can't find it right now.

BladesofSTEELwFIRE is offline  
Old
09-01-2010, 10:24 AM
  #12
yarre
Registered User
 
yarre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Gothenburg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 904
vCash: 500
TO OP, sorry but "Russa vs Czech Repbulic and 2006 was Sweeden vs Findland"

Russia, Czech Republic, Sweden and Finland. Nice going getting all four wrong

yarre is offline  
Old
09-01-2010, 01:05 PM
  #13
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!
 
MetalheadPenguinsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,385
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BladesofSTEELwFIRE View Post
"Not since the summit series has an international hockey battle displayed such prowess, skill and excitement.

Some thought that nothing could rival the classic series in '72 - but rival it did. With premier players at the peaks of their careers, and some of today's prominent stars elevating their game, the 1987 Canada Cup was hockey at it's finest."

That's actually an understatement since it was even better than that!

http://www.dvd-movie-sales.com/canada-cup-87.html

You will NEVER see a Team Canada again with THIS much star power!!

Glenn Anderson, Ray Bourque, Paul Coffey, Doug Crossman, Kevin Dineen, Mike Gartner, Doug Gilmour, Michel Goulet, Wayne Gretzky, Craig Hartsburg, Dale Hawerchuk, Claude Lemieux, Mario Lemieux, Mark Messier, Larry Murphy, James Patrick, Brian Propp, Normand Rochefort, Brent Sutter, Grant Fuhr, Ron Hextall and Rick Tocchet.


I saw the book profiled before but I can't find it right now.
Yeah I had seen the Blade Wars set on that site before...but didn't trust the look of the site enough to buy it off of there.

Doesn't matter though as now I'm waiting for this, which comes out in November. http://www.videoservicecorp.com/Sports/Canada-Cup-1987/

"For the first time ever, Canada's complete tournament, featuring all nine Team Canada games and including the dramatic three game final between Canada and the Soviet Union will be available on an exciting new six-disc DVD set that's a must-have for hockey fans everywhere!"



MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline  
Old
09-01-2010, 10:42 PM
  #14
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go
 
MapleLeafsFan4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarre View Post
TO OP, sorry but "Russa vs Czech Repbulic and 2006 was Sweeden vs Findland"

Russia, Czech Republic, Sweden and Finland. Nice going getting all four wrong
I don't know what you read but I said the 1998 final was Russa vs Czech Repbulic and the 2006 final was Sweeden vs Findland.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline  
Old
09-02-2010, 01:44 AM
  #15
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 39,515
vCash: 500
From the NHL's point of view, USA-Canada is their dream matchup and always will be, because that is *gasp* the markets they play in. Of course that will drum up the most interest in hockey among people who will buy tickets to games, and buy merchandise, etc. It's a business.

There are plenty of legitimate reasons to jump on Bettman. This isn't one of them. His job isn't to be the greatest hockey fan and root for great hockey, his job is to make the NHL financially viable and strong. And there is simply no international matchup better than USA-Canada for that end.

New Sabres Captain is offline  
Old
09-02-2010, 03:04 PM
  #16
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go
 
MapleLeafsFan4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,275
vCash: 500
I wonder if Bettman's reactions to the 1998 and 2006 finals would be different had Team USA played in the finals and won Gold, because I have a feeling he was disappointed both times when they lost to Canada and I am sure as an American he would want them to win.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline  
Old
09-03-2010, 11:09 AM
  #17
BladesofSTEELwFIRE
Registered User
 
BladesofSTEELwFIRE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Yeah I had seen the Blade Wars set on that site before...but didn't trust the look of the site enough to buy it off of there.

Doesn't matter though as now I'm waiting for this, which comes out in November. http://www.videoservicecorp.com/Sports/Canada-Cup-1987/

"For the first time ever, Canada's complete tournament, featuring all nine Team Canada games and including the dramatic three game final between Canada and the Soviet Union will be available on an exciting new six-disc DVD set that's a must-have for hockey fans everywhere!"


WOW! That is awesome! I'm definitely getting that.

But they should have all of the USSR's games on there too since that was an AMAZING team to watch! They played together better as a TEAM than Canada did!

BladesofSTEELwFIRE is offline  
Old
09-03-2010, 11:19 AM
  #18
Jussi
No strings on me
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 45,246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafsFan2010 View Post
I don't know what you read but I said the 1998 final was Russa vs Czech Repbulic and the 2006 final was Sweeden vs Findland.
He means your pathetic spelling...

Jussi is offline  
Old
11-17-2010, 03:14 PM
  #19
Faltorvo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 11,729
vCash: 500
50/50 issue really,

North American teams.

Games played live in North American prime time.

Faltorvo is offline  
Old
11-17-2010, 09:44 PM
  #20
finchster
Registered User
 
finchster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Belgorod
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 7,761
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to finchster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
He means your pathetic spelling...
You really have to question the age of the poster when countries like Finland and Russia are spelled incorrectly.

finchster is offline  
Old
12-11-2010, 12:57 PM
  #21
Kenyan Canuck
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Nairobi Kenya
Posts: 3
vCash: 500
My take on it is that Bettman knows the Canadian market is already strong so in reality he doesn't even care if Canada is in the Olympic final... For his interests it's all about the USA going up against the best crowd pleasing team and being shown prime time for American viewers. For Salt Lake and Vancouver, Canada was a good fit, but in 2014 I know that Bettman would be extremely satisfied with a USA vs Russia final. Especially if USA was seen as the underdog and pulled off "miracle on ice" 2. For him, it's all about filling NHL seats in Phoenix, Atlanta, Florida, etc. He wants to get Americans in non hockey markets excited about hockey! I would bet that if he sends nhl'ers in 2014 then his dream finale would be Russia defeating Canada in the Semi-finals and then USA beating the Russians in overtime (not the shootout) with both games played in US prime time. American warriors travel to the other side of the planet to take on the big bad Russians and beat them on their home turf. It's the standard hollywood tale and very easy to digest by even those with little to no interest in ice hockey... Until then.

Kenyan Canuck is offline  
Old
12-11-2010, 01:03 PM
  #22
DwightKSchrute
Registered User
 
DwightKSchrute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: PEI
Country: Canada
Posts: 683
vCash: 500
Obviously the most important thing to Bettman is the revenue the game makes.Who doesn't like seeing a Canada/USA game tho.

DwightKSchrute is offline  
Old
12-11-2010, 01:04 PM
  #23
Datsyuk2Zetterberg
Registered User
 
Datsyuk2Zetterberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,378
vCash: 500
The more US interest, the more Gary likey.

Datsyuk2Zetterberg is offline  
Old
12-11-2010, 02:55 PM
  #24
ComrieFanatic
Registered User
 
ComrieFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,647
vCash: 500
Having the US in the finals is the best for the NHL and NBC (or whatever US network has NHL rights at the time).

But from everything I've heard out of Bettman over the last 10 months, he pretty much thinks that the NHL won't benefit from the Olympics when they are played out of the prime time time slots.

ComrieFanatic is offline  
Old
12-11-2010, 05:25 PM
  #25
magic school bus
***********
 
magic school bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,734
vCash: 141
i dont think it matters if its "USA V. CANADA" as long as the USA is in the final.

the USA making it to the medal round is good enough (they get the same number of USA games as if they were in the Gold Medal game).

magic school bus is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.