HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Group D • 05/08/10 • Finland 1, Denmark 4

View Poll Results: Will FIN score 5+ goals or less than 5?
5+ 3 8.82%
Less than 5 31 91.18%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-09-2010, 05:11 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Finland doesn't usually start slow... Usually they burn everything in the group play and are then out of gas...

Old
05-09-2010, 09:13 AM
bpoulsen

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to bpoulsen
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
Good technique, decent speed at covering angles. I don't really know. It's hard to say before he gets to play against a team with a higher intensity level.

A year in the SEL could tell us alot more.
He's only 20, not drafted or anything... He posted the best stats in the danish league this season. In 32 regular season games he posted 93,18 sv% with 2.19 GAA...

In 10 playoff games he posted 92.49 sv% and 2.86 GAA ...

I would be surprised if he's not playing in Sweden next year ... Either the SEL or Allsvanskan.

Old
05-09-2010, 09:24 AM
Finnpin

Quote:
Finland doesn't usually start slow... Usually they burn everything in the group play and are then out of gas...
Well Finland often gets better after the games go on so I would call it slow start because they progress during the tournament but true that the game style they have often used burns them down in the end.

Old
05-09-2010, 10:33 AM
DanishRangersFan

vCash: 558
Send a message via MSN to DanishRangersFan
What an amazing win!!! Im still speechless

Old
05-09-2010, 11:33 AM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

Well the poll in this thread sure looks out of place now

Old
05-10-2010, 10:18 AM
Tony Piscotta
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
A year in the SEL could tell us alot more.
Why do you suggest he'd play in Sweden and not one of the other European leagues - possibly the SM-Liiga? And how you would you rate him as compared to the younger goalies like Suomalainen, Iilahti, Gibson and some of the Finnish prospects?

Old
05-10-2010, 11:26 AM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Piscotta View Post
Why do you suggest he'd play in Sweden and not one of the other European leagues - possibly the SM-Liiga? And how you would you rate him as compared to the younger goalies like Suomalainen, Iilahti, Gibson and some of the Finnish prospects?
Because danish players go to the SEL or Allsvenskan.

Hard to rate as I've seen very little of him.

Old
05-10-2010, 04:12 PM
talenttracer

Quote:

Hard to rate as I've seen very little of him.
Maybe he shoulld go to Finland, you guys have a good tradition of making solid goalies

Old
05-10-2010, 04:27 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by talenttracer View Post
Maybe he shoulld go to Finland, you guys have a good tradition of making solid goalies
Which is why there are very little foreign goalies in Finland. We'll make more than enough ourselves, there's no need to import.

Old
05-11-2010, 09:09 AM
Tony Piscotta
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Is there a particular reason for this other than the relative proximity? I know that Finnish players have gone to Denmark towards the end of their careers but in the last decade it seems there was only one player, Nichlas Hardt, from Denmark that played in the SM-Liiga - and for only six games with Tappara.

Old
05-11-2010, 09:15 AM
Dr Despair

Quote:
Is there a particular reason for this other than the relative proximity? I know that Finnish players have gone to Denmark towards the end of their careers but in the last decade it seems there was only one player, Nichlas Hardt, from Denmark that played in the SM-Liiga - and for only six games with Tappara.
I think language is a big factor. Swedes and Danes can more or less understand each other, I believe.

Old
05-11-2010, 09:37 AM
mattihp

Quote:
Danes understand swedish and have an easy way of learning it, the languages are related.

Finnish is not related to many languages at all; not even being an indoeuropean language.

Old
05-11-2010, 09:48 AM
ThinMcWhistle

Quote:
Danes understand swedish and have an easy way of learning it, the languages are related.

Finnish is not related to many languages at all; not even being an indoeuropean language.
As far as I know, Finnish is only related to Estonian, Sami, and some other tribal languages of Ingria, etc in Western Russia (near Finnish border).

Many are now saying that there is little proof that Finnish is related to Hungarian, as thought in the past.

Old
05-12-2010, 07:58 AM
hannes_ko

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiNsKa View Post
Many are now saying that there is little proof that Finnish is related to Hungarian, as thought in the past.
Says who? I think it's obvious the languages are related. The peoples of Finland and Hungary on the other hand are not that close genetically. I don't think Finnish and Sami people are either.

Old
05-12-2010, 08:25 AM
ThinMcWhistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannes_ko View Post
Says who? I think it's obvious the languages are related. The peoples of Finland and Hungary on the other hand are not that close genetically. I don't think Finnish and Sami people are either.
I wouldn't say that, there are only a couple of words that are similar such as : hand (kz - ksi), blood (vr - veri) and other basic words that are very old.

To me Hungarian sounds as foreign as any other language, Finnish is a part of the Finno-Permic family and Hungarian is a part of the Ugric family. Sami is actually in the same family as Finnish (permic).

Bottom line remains, Finnish is only mutually intelligible with Estonian, and some dialects as the one spoken in the Tornio river valley (Mean kieli).

Old
05-12-2010, 03:18 PM
hannes_ko

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiNsKa View Post
I wouldn't say that, there are only a couple of words that are similar such as : hand (kz - ksi), blood (vr - veri) and other basic words that are very old.
One should not put that much emphasis on finding similar words. The structure of the language is far more important and tells much more about the origins. When two peoples faraway of each other has that much in common there has to be something more than coindicense.

It dates back long time, but once there was a language which led to Finnish and Hungarian. I have not studied any Hungarian, but I believe it would "make sense" more than say Greek, if I started studying.

You stated previously, that many people are saying there's no connection between Finnish and Hungarian. I highly doubt that.

Old
06-12-2010, 01:37 PM
Tony Piscotta
Hockey's Future Staff

Andreas Bernard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
Which is why there are very little foreign goalies in Finland. We'll make more than enough ourselves, there's no need to import.
A bit off the subject - and an old post to boot - but what were your impressions of this goalie from Italy playing in Finland? He did very well for the Italian junior team - albeit at a lower level of competition.

Closed Thread