HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

what about next year ?

Old
05-07-2010, 11:46 AM
THEREW

vCash: 500
what about next year ?

Hey guys, just checked out some numbers on http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.p...TL&season=0910.

I tought not much moves needed to be done this summer but was surprised to see we don't have that much players already signed for next year up front.

Here's a quick list:

Signed C:
Gomez (cap hit 7.36)

RFA C:
Lapierre

Signed LW:
Cammalleri (6)
A. Kostitsyn (3.25)
Moen (1.5)

RFA LW:
S. Kostitsyn
B. Pouliot
Pyatt
Stewart

Signed RW:
Gionta (5)

RFA RW:
none (well...Wyman)

We're ok on Defense though with Markov, Hamrlik, Gorges, Spacek, Gill, O'byrne and Subban already signed for next year.

So it's pretty much another summer with a lot of work to be done...

Plekanec might sign putting us close to the cap...or might not sign
S. Kostitsyn might not resign...and his brother might or might not be traded
and we all hope that Gauthier would be able to trade Hamrlik and his huge contract elsewhere...

So lots of holes to fill ( 2 C, 3 RW, 1 LW) this summer.

Young guns might help (Paciorrety comes to mind) but things need to be done.

And I'm not even talking about the goalie problem (if you consider it a problem)

discuss (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)

THEREW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 11:51 AM
Turboflex*

They'll need to dump either Spacek or Hammer to resign all of Plekanec, Price, Halak.

And Moore

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 11:54 AM
THEREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
They'll need to dump either Spacek or Hammer to resign all of Plekanec, Price, Halak.
and then what ?

still some holes on the RW...you think they should just resign some RFAs and call some young players up or should they try to sign someone else...and if so, how (salary cap wise) and who ?

Old
05-07-2010, 12:10 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEREW View Post
and then what ?

still some holes on the RW...you think they should just resign some RFAs and call some young players up or should they try to sign someone else...and if so, how (salary cap wise) and who ?
you leave that spot for a young player (MaxPac, Wyman, White,Trotter, Desharnais ...)

They will buy out BGL (500k Cap for 2 years)
Id be surprised if they sign Metropolit.
MAB, well see, he may sign for 1.1, 1.2 mil

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 12:11 PM
THEREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by husamus156 View Post
you leave that spot for a young player (MaxPac, Wyman, White,Trotter, Desharnais ...)
all 3 spots ?

be cause right now it looks like this (without the young players)

A. Kostitsyn-Gomez-Gionta
Cammalleri-?-?
Moen-?-?
?-?-?

of course Pacioretty and White could be called up...so it would look like this:

A. Kostitsyn-Gomez-Gionta
Cammaleri-?-?
Pacioretty-White-?
Moen-?-?

and of course we could sign young RFAs such as Pouliot, Pyatt, Stewart, Wyman, Desharnais, Trotter...so it would look like this:

A. Kostitsyn- Gomez-Gionta
Cammalleri-?-Pouliot
Pacioretty-Pyatt-?
Moen-White-Stewart/Wyman/Desharnais/Trotter

and still some RFAs that could be signed :
Lapierre

but it's a pretty young and unexperienced forward group...I think

So basically are you saying we just resign our young RFAs and fill the hole on second line Center and that's it...that's scary

Last edited by THEREW: 05-07-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old
05-07-2010, 12:14 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
all 3 spots ?
no you can Keep Moore and then fight for 2 spots

Pyatt , Darche will fight for a spot

and it depends on where SK will go

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 12:14 PM
Perrah

Said the other night that the cap might not go up at all, and that was from bettman. If it does go up it wont be 3 million like milbury was speculating

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 12:15 PM
CanadienErrant*

1- Let Metro and Mara go UFA

2- Trade the Kost Bros + Spacek or Hamrlik for at least one good top-two lines big winger + a bottom line big energy guy.

3- Re-sign Plekanec

4- Re-sign both Halak and Price and see next season which one can be traded.

5- Sign Moore

6- promote from Hamilton : Subban (already done), White + Desharnais OR Trotter.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 12:21 PM
Markovs elbow pad

Why the ***** are we talking about next year when were in the middle of a stanley cup run??? who cares about next year, it's about now!!!!!!!

Markovs elbow pad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 12:24 PM
THEREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markovs elbow pad View Post
Why the ***** are we talking about next year when were in the middle of a stanley cup run??? who cares about next year, it's about now!!!!!!!
We all care alot about what's going on right now don't you worry about that!!!

But it's always fun to discuss about whether this team is going up or down next year...

Feel free to ignore the thread if you think it doesn't matter

It's not like I'm personnally on the ice for a Stanley cup run right

Old
05-07-2010, 12:46 PM
goforit

Ok here's what I see for next year:

Plekanec: 4.5M/6y
Lapierre: 1M/2y
Moore: Sign a 4th line C with some size for about 1M (I like Moore, but we need more size)
Pouliot: 1.5M/2y
Pyatt: 850K/3y
Desharnais: 850K/2y
Trotter: 850K/2y

Price: 2.5M/3y
Halak: 3.5M/3y

Current cap hit: 45.732M/y
Cap hit: 16.65M/y

Total: 62.382M/y

If cap doesn't change, we're in trouble. we don't have the choice, we gotta trade Hamrlik for a pick.

So, send Hamrlik to NYI for a 2nd or a 3rd.

Lineup:

Pouliot - Gomez - Gionta
Cammalleri - Plek - AK46
Moen - Desharnais - Lapierre
Pyatt - UFA - White

Markov - O'Byrne
Spacek - Subban
Gill - Gorges

Halak/Price

goforit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 12:55 PM
goforit

I think the best 2nd line center that will be available on july 1st (after Plek and Marleau, but he'll ask too much) is Matt Lombardi. Maybe we could give him a 3y contract for something like 3M$?

I think we'll have some problems at C position on next year. I cross my finger for Desharnais to be a big surprise...

goforit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 12:57 PM
Frankenheimer

I think a lot depends on how they do for the remainder of the playoffs. Do you really want to tinker around much with a potentially SCF team? I would try to lock down all the same players. It's hard finding that magic mix, especially for teams without 4 number 1 draft picks to carry the load.

Moore, Lapierre, Pyatt, AKostitsyn, Pleks are all no brainers. Pleks gets criticized a lot, but he's an integral component of the Martin system. He's extremely disciplined.

Frankenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 12:59 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

I wish there was a way we could sign Alexander Frolov...

ChuckyToGally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 01:15 PM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

Quote:
Originally Posted by goforit View Post
Ok here's what I see for next year:

Lineup:

Pouliot - Gomez - Gionta
Cammalleri - Plek - AK46
Moen - Desharnais - Lapierre
Pyatt - UFA - White

Markov - O'Byrne
Spacek - Subban
Gill - Gorges

Halak/Price
I'd do

Pouliot Gomez Gio
Cammy Pleks AK
Moen Moore Laps
Pyatt Desharnais White

Markov OB
Spacek Subban
Gill Gorges

Halak
Price

I would do everything I can to trade AK and SK for whatever top 6 forward with size we can get. Or trade Price for a top 6.

Ghetto Sangria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 01:35 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCammalleri View Post
I'd do

Pouliot Gomez Gio
Cammy Pleks AK
Moen Moore Laps
Pyatt Desharnais White

Markov OB
Spacek Subban
Gill Gorges

Halak
Price

I would do everything I can to trade AK and SK for whatever top 6 forward with size we can get. Or trade Price for a top 6.
I agree about the K Bros, but we need some size somewhere up front. Even if it is for bottom line duties.

Guys like JF Jacques (Edm) or Winchester (ST-L) could be good additions.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 01:43 PM
Teufelsdreck

The thread title is a bit vague and the posts are all about the cap and the signing status of players What interests me most about next year is where the Habs are likely to finish. Playing 13 (or 14) consecutive games against Washington and Pittsburgh is an invaluable learning experience (and who knows, the Habs might go farther in the playoffs). They have learned a lot about how to defend against some of the best scorers in the NHL, and it wasn't as simple as putting Halak in goal every game (besides, we've seen what happens to him when he's fatigued). Playing against other opponents won't seem nearly as daunting. Barring another injury-ridden season, the Habs should move up in the standings even though they don't make many personnel changes (I assume that Subban will be a regular from game 1).

As for tinkering with the roster, I'd re-sign Moore but not Metropolit, Darche, Mara, or Bergeron. I'd definitely consider trading Sergei and replacing him with Pacioretty. Andrei has to stay unless the Habs can get a relatively young RW who can produce and hit the way Andrei does on his good nights. I don't see any alternative to re-signing Plekanec.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 02:00 PM
alexstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post

And Moore
both = 9,3M

we don't miss Spac now and the one of the best game we've had in this "miracle" of playoffs stretch has been when Spac was absent and Hamr was limited to 10 minutes icetime... no idea if we can infer something out of that.

I would not think they are essential.

However, no way is Plek "core" to this team with the quiet playoffs he's having.

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 02:31 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
We all care alot about what's going on right now don't you worry about that!!!

But it's always fun to discuss about whether this team is going up or down next year...

Feel free to ignore the thread if you think it doesn't matter

It's not like I'm personnally on the ice for a Stanley cup run right
I got no problem discussing about next year... It's an off day! Tomorrow we'll get back to the Habs Playoff Run, lol. This is what real fans do; talk about everything Habs, all the time--let us have our fun!

Gauthier has a really tough job this summer. Luckily, SK made a little bit easier on him, in the sense that he knows that he's one guy he doesn't have to worry about signing. As someone on a panel somewhere said, someone will take SK, simply because his talent still manages to exceed his work ethic and attitude problem, and just like a guy with commitment issues, some GM out there will try to "save" him, a.k.a. turn his career around, get him on the right track, yadda yadda. I guess the same goes for AK, but I wonder if the same GM would take the risk on both players. I doubt there's a team out there looking for two lazy unfocused players, let alone 1. At least SK is cheap. AK might be staying with us for another year, simply due to his contract.

I think if you want to keep Plekanec, have a strong bottom 6, and keep guys like Lapierre and Moore, you have to let go or trade Price. Unless the salary cap goes up another 2 million, i just dont see how we can afford everyone. Here's who i see leaving:

Sergei Kostitsyn
Carey Price
Glen Metropolit
Marc Andre Bergeron
Paul Mara

Trade Price for good draft picks and prospects. Get a 3rd or 4th for SK. Bottom line, take on as little salary as humanly possible.

Sign Moore to Moen's deal 4.5 over 3 years; sign Lapierre to a 2 year 2.5M; sign Plecanec to 5M a season; Pouliot 2 years 2.75M; Pyatt 1.9M over 2 years; Halak 2.75 a year over 3 years. That comes to like 12.775, which puts us a bit over the cap. Try to trade Hammer and sign a backup like Auld to a 1M a year.

I think this is the best we could manage. With the contracts we have signed, we'll just have that little breathing room over the next years, but especially next year. Such is life.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 02:49 PM
ILuvLucic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream View Post
both = 9,3M

we don't miss Spac now and the one of the best game we've had in this "miracle" of playoffs stretch has been when Spac was absent and Hamr was limited to 10 minutes icetime... no idea if we can infer something out of that.

I would not think they are essential.

However, no way is Plek "core" to this team with the quiet playoffs he's having.
Plekanec is the best center on the team. He has been so focused on shutting down Ovy, Crosby and playing defense that his numbers have taken a little dip. We are lucky to have him.

ILuvLucic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 02:54 PM
THEREW

Quick question: If you have an RFA player but don't sign him...can you still trade him or do you have to sign him and then trade him...

Might be a dumb question but i wonder

( and yes I am thinking of SK)

Old
05-08-2010, 08:47 AM
danyhabsfan

Quote:
Quick question: If you have an RFA player but don't sign him...can you still trade him or do you have to sign him and then trade him...

Might be a dumb question but i wonder

( and yes I am thinking of SK)
You have to make a qualifying offer to retain his right I think.
Then you can trade him

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 10:50 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
Sign Moore to Moen's deal 4.5 over 3 years; sign Lapierre to a 2 year 2.5M; sign Plecanec to 5M a season; Pouliot 2 years 2.75M; Pyatt 1.9M over 2 years; Halak 2.75 a year over 3 years.
Here is my two cents on the numbers, assuming the cap is staying relatively the same as this year.

Moore held out last year, and many are afraid he might do it again, and ask for $2M or something. However, his overall numbers are not that good this year, and he seems to like Montreal, so maybe we can sign him to a fair contract after all.

I am quite sure that Lapierre can be signed for less than $1.25 per season, and Pyatt should go for close to $500k on a 1-way contract. Maybe $1.25M for 2 years.

Pouliot had an up and down year. I think $1M per year is about right, he can pick how many years he wants at that price.

Halak should be in the $3M range annually, but I'm not sure if we can include a UFA year in the package.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 10:53 AM
Done

Can't we just enjoy this playoff ride when nobody actually gets paid (except for the standard NHLPA playoff bonus structure where everyone gets their equal share)? Seriously, there will be lots of time to discuss who should go, who could come, etc.

Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 10:53 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Sergei and Andrei are as good as gone. Hamrlik too. Spacek is on a really short leash.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote