HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Habs Won't Block Boucher If He Decides to Move

Old
05-06-2010, 10:26 AM
SB164

vCash: 500
The Habs Won't Block Boucher If He Decides to Move

The Habs Hockey Whisperer & 30 Thoughts

By Elliotte Friedman

If Guy Boucher is offered an NHL coaching job this summer, the Canadiens will not stand in his way.

"Our organizational philosophy is the same as everyone else's," Montreal GM Pierre Gauthier said this week. "Never get in the way of someone moving up in his career."

Boucher is a hot property among teams with coaching vacancies. Last season, he led Drummondville to the QMJHL championship and a Memorial Cup berth. This year, he was the AHL's Coach of the Year in Hamilton. (The Bulldogs lead Abbotsford 2-1 in the North Division final, with Game 4 on Thursday night.)

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/ellio...whisperer.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tim5nU3DwIE

Last edited by SB164: 05-06-2010 at 10:34 AM.
SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 10:30 AM
coolasprICE

He's gone for sure.

Teams are looking to hire younger coaches...

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 10:33 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Ultimately it's his call though. Even if everyone wants him but he'd rather wait out a better opportunity, he's still with us. If no one contacts him(which i doubt) better for us. Either way, who says he even gets a job? There's other AHL coaches who have more experience and are still young.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 10:36 AM
Ross MacLochness

I haven't cried about the Habs since I was like 10, but I will cry if we lose Boucher.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 10:36 AM
MoonlightGraham

You know guys Scotty Bowman used to coach the Canadien junior, then was hired by the St. Louis Blues in the NHL and actually came back to coach the Canadiens later on. And I hear he did fairly well as the Canadiens coach...

My point being if Boucher is hired by an NHL team he can still come back.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 10:37 AM
shutehinside

My gut is telling me he isn't going anywhere. We all know we have more nerve ending in our gut then our brains! Ask the Montreal Sporst reporters and they'll agree.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 10:41 AM
Miller Time

it's going to be really, really painful to watch him take over some other team and have success...

Martin has done a solid job with the team during the playoffs, but as others have pointed out, his work with the young players on the roster this season has been pretty disappointing.

In the cap era, getting quality play out of young, cheap, assets, is a must... Boucher seems to have a great touch with the athletes he coaches, and seems to be the kind of coach that will more often than not get the most out of the players he coaches.

even if he turns down an offer this year, will he be willing to turn one down again next season???

hard to imagine that.

and with Muller and Pearns doing quality work as assistants, I don't think there is much chance he gets brought up as an assistant (though I wonder if Muller gets attention from anyone... maybe Lou in NJ???)

if he goes somewhere else, i have a feeling that we are going to regret it.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 10:44 AM
Brisk-Illusion

I don't know why people are upset that Boucher might be leaving. Pretty much every coach in the league has a limited shelf life, the odds of Boucher keeping his job for more than 3-4 years are very low.

Let him make his rookie mistakes somewhere else for a few years and then bring him as coach after JM is done if he's the best candidate then.

The last thing we need is another rookie coach.

Brisk-Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 10:45 AM
RaMMuT
Tank Nation 2012

Imagine he coaches washington next season? zzomg!

I also agree on the FML statement

RaMMuT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 10:50 AM
Kriss E

I don't see this as a surprise.
Why would any team prevent his affiliate coach to make the big jump to the NHL??..
It doesn't mean that if there was a serious offer on the table the Habs wouldn't make him a pitch as to why they'd love to keep him down there.

I don't get why anybody is acting as if this were news.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 10:50 AM
sheed36

Not really surprising and it's been something many here have been saying all year long... Boucher is a good coach and will coach in the NHL soon.. Would be tough to lose this guy if he decides to leave..

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 10:51 AM
NHLfan

Nighmare

That would be a nightmare to see Guy Boucher coach another NHL team. I would be very upset. He is the next great coach.

NHLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 10:53 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk-Illusion View Post
I don't know why people are upset that Boucher might be leaving. Pretty much every coach in the league has a limited shelf life, the odds of Boucher keeping his job for more than 3-4 years are very low.

Let him make his rookie mistakes somewhere else for a few years and then bring him as coach after JM is done if he's the best candidate then.

The last thing we need is another rookie coach.
Good point. We had Vigneault for a while, fired him, and he went on to win the Jack Adams in Vancouver and seems to be doing pretty well there. Like you said, most coaches not named Lindy Ruff are in and out in a 3-4 year span, so nothing is permanent wherever he goes.

Obviously the Habs weren't going to block him from leaving. He has a lot of potential but we can't chain him to the Bulldogs until we require his services, the same way we can't just fire Martin or Muller or Pearn to guarantee him a spot. It's a tough situation but however it plays out, hopefully it's to the Habs' advantage whether it's now or down the road.

Last edited by hototogisu: 05-06-2010 at 10:59 AM.
hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 10:54 AM
11Goat11
Inside her

Relax, if the Habs let him go, Boucher will only be grateful for it. He could cut his teeth in another organization and then come back when his contract runs out the same time as Martin's.

Keep in mind coaching hungry players in the AHL is way different than coaching superstar primmadonnas in the NHL.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 10:57 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
Thank you Thank you!!

and I was called an idiot for saying the habs wouldnt allow him! lol

Guy Boucher, my fav hockey coach for the last 4 years, I hope he makes the show asap and succeeds anywhere he goes!

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 10:58 AM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
PK played for the Canadiens. If we let him go, he'll be grateful and comeback better.

I'l be extremely pissed if Boucher leaves, but on the other hand, if you block him, that's a sign to Martin that he's gone soon. And Martin will give up, as any one would.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 11:00 AM
crystal ball

Holy overreaction!

First, Boucher himself has said he doesn't think he's ready to coach in the NHL yet. This is only his first year in the pros at all.

Second, we don't know if the Habs promised him a job with the big team when he's ready, to which he might have agreed.

Third, he may not want to jump at the first opportunity that comes along. He may actually want to carefully choose his spot. He knows he's a hot commodity and unless his team suddenly starts sucking, he's golden for a while to come.

Fourth, the Habs pretty much have to say they won't block him. It would be pretty crass of the organization to tell a guy, yeah, Jersey wants you, but we told Lou to go to hell. How much loyalty will a guy have to an organization that tries to control his life and his opportunities like that? It's much better for him to have the freedom to choose. Then, if he picks Montreal eventually, we know he did it because he's ready and feels it's the best place for him.

Fifth, even if he does go somewhere else, as someone above mentioned, he'll probably be fired within three or four years at most. As soon as his team misses the playoffs or some spoiled millionaires start to tune him out, he's done. Then, if Montreal's treated him right, he very well might come back after he's got some NHL experience.

All that said, though, I'll feel bad if Boucher ends up coaching some powerhouse to glory while the Habs under Martin defend one-goal leads and allow fifty shots against every night.

crystal ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 11:00 AM
coolasprICE

If Boucher get's an offer, why don't the Molson's take some of their playoff revenue and match it.

Pay him and keep him in the organization, either in Hamilton or in Montreal... And once JM's contract is up (or when he gets fired), he gets the job.

Just an idea.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 11:01 AM
knuck
On and off fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Good point. We had Vigneault for a while, fired him, and he went on to win the Jack Adams in Vancouver and seems to be doing pretty well there. Like you said, most coaches not named Lindy Ruff are in and out in a 3-4 year span, so nothing is permanent wherever he goes.

Obviously the Habs weren't going to block him from leaving. He has a lot of potential but we can't chain him to the Bulldogs until we require his services, the same way we can't just can Martin or Muller or Pearn to guarantee him a spot. It's a tough situation but however it plays out, hopefully it's to the Habs' advantage whether it's now or down the road.

I was watching the 99 cup final between the Sabres and the Stars on CBC Classic the other night (literally, it finished at 4am haha) and, even if I knew he was already there back then, it was still surprising to see Ruff behind the Sabres bench.

It was also a very, VERY boring game with a very crappy ending...

knuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 11:01 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Another dumb move. Bring him up as an assistant, or something. Hopefully he stays, but if they let him go... Nothing but a bunch of clowns.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 11:05 AM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I don't see this as a surprise.
Why would any team prevent his affiliate coach to make the big jump to the NHL??..
It doesn't mean that if there was a serious offer on the table the Habs wouldn't make him a pitch as to why they'd love to keep him down there.

I don't get why anybody is acting as if this were news.
To Ozymandias it will be news... Here's his quote from the page 1 of the "Guy Boucher named AHL coach of the year" thread when I said the Habs need to keep this guy because some NHL team will surely offer him a NHL coaching job soon.. There's a few more gems from him in that thread too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
For the millionth time; THEY CAN'T!!!

He's under contract, and until that contract runs out, he CAN'T talk to other teams. The only way he could is if the Habs let him, and do you REALLY think they would do that????? Come on.

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 11:08 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal ball View Post
I'll feel bad if Boucher ends up coaching some powerhouse to glory while the Habs under Martin defend one-goal leads and allow fifty shots against every night.
I'll feel GOOD if the Habs under Martin successfuly defend one-goal leads about 45-50 times in the regular season and 16 times in the playoffs. What say you again? Just checking.........

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Also, If the Habs block him, that's bad business. How many guys are going to want to coach in the AHL if they know they're going to be restricted from coaching in the NHL.

The only thing going for us is if Boucher wants to coach the Canadiens and no other team, he knows that in a few years, he'll be up here. But if he simply wants to coach in the NHL, and there's nothing wrong with that, then I wish him the best, and sincerely hope that one day we're blessed with a coach like him.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghys View Post
I was watching the 99 cup final between the Sabres and the Stars on CBC Classic the other night (literally, it finished at 4am haha) and, even if I knew he was already there back then, it was still surprising to see Ruff behind the Sabres bench.

It was also a very, VERY boring game with a very crappy ending...
It's kind of amazing how long he's been around. On CBC during the playoffs they showed a list of coaches who had been hired and fired during Ruff's tenure with the Sabres and it was ridiculously long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Another dumb move. Bring him up as an assistant, or something. Hopefully he stays, but if they let him go... Nothing but a bunch of clowns.
Unfortunately this is real life and a person's career, not fantasy hockey or video games. You can't just plunk the guy down with the Habs and tell him to wait there until we're ready to use him. If he wants to coach elsewhere, that's his prerogative. It sucks but hey, life's not fair sometimes. What could the Habs do, realistically?

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 11:10 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Wasn't there an article about this and Boucher himself said he didn't want to go to the NHL as of next year?

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote