HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Faith? No faith?

View Poll Results: Will the Canucks come back, win three games and advance?
No. 131 68.95%
Yes. 59 31.05%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-08-2010, 03:08 AM
robdicks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fools russian View Post
anyone in their right mind knew there wasn't going to be a sweep. most people were cautiously optimistic.
true lol i didnt think they would sweep them... but ppl outside of the 2 fanbases were saying that... things can change in a hurry in the NHL tho... if Van wins the next game then they are playing to force game 7....

most thought Montreal was dead in the water against washington 3-1, so if montreal can beat washington 3 straight, van can be chi 3 straight

robdicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 03:11 AM
Nine to Five
Now Eight to Four!

luongo, kesler, henrik sedin, mason raymond and a 2nd round pick for drew doughty

Nine to Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 03:12 AM
Bougieman

I think Vancouver can come back. Chicago is cocky. With a few bounces in our favour and a solid next game from the entire team, this whole series could change.

I believe.

Bougieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 03:13 AM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

It ain't over until its over, but i have no faith to be honest.

Vancouver_2010 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 03:28 AM
Johnny LaRue

I was calling for the Canucks to lose in five after game two. I don't know where that puts me.

I don't see a goalie that allows 15 or so goals in three games doing much of anything for us going forward.

Johnny LaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 03:29 AM
CRDragon
¯\_(シ)_/¯

I said yes just for the heck of it.

CRDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 03:31 AM
thecupismine

At this point I'm not expecting anything but I'm hoping and quite frankly wouldn't be shocked if they came out of the series with a win. There have been some elements to their game that I have liked but other areas have been atrocious (well documented at this point). Fortunately, the areas that have been atrocious aren't beyond repair and CAN be fixed (or at least get on a good streak). They did it against LA but the question is is it possible to fix these areas against a team that is much more talented than the Kings? Thats where the hope/blind faith comes in...

thecupismine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 03:43 AM
yapperface
Bieksallent

I have hope.

I have no faith.

yapperface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 03:50 AM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
I have great hope but I believe I watched the Canucks break tonight. I'm pretty certain the Hawks will finish us off on Sunday...but boy do I hope they at least get one more game at home.

mrmyheadhurts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 04:03 AM
timw33

Lost the faith when we fell apart in Game 2, shades of Game 4 last year.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 05:07 AM
Canucks5551

I honestly can't see us coming back. 3 games with 2 on Chicago ice is too much for this team to accomplish, imo.

Canucks5551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 05:18 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Faith no
Hope yes

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 05:26 AM
Agent007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tripper View Post
if the last 3 games were close, hard-fought, decided by lucky bounces, or the canucks demonstrated at least some way of stopping chicago when they wanted to score, i'd have faith
all 3 losses have exposed several fundamental problems with the canucks team which give me no reason to have faith
And that right there is one of the reasons why I believe this can go 7.

When you're at you're best and you're still losing by a goal then it's harder to win 3 games in a row however when you've been as horrible as the Canucks have these last two games and you know that you're not at you're best right now then definately you have to feel that if you can get back on your game and play as well as you're capable of then maybe just maybe you can win a couple of games in a row here and force a game 7.

If we win game 5 then I'd be surprised if there isn't a game 7. If you win game 5 then you're coming back to Vancouver to play a game that Chicago had no interest what so ever in playing and you just never know how things can turn around.

For example look at our round 1 series against Dallas back in 2007. They won a close game in OT in game 5 and then completely dominated in game 6 despite losing game 3 and 4 on home ice. Sure they still lost game 7 but I'll take my chances in game 7 if we can get there.

It's not going to be easy but then again this team this entire season hasn't really done things the easy way.

They start off the season in a medicore fashion and then get on a roll to win the division. While doing that they lead the league in comebacks while being down after 2 periods of play. That right there shows you that this team just doesn't want to quit.

At the end of the day Luongo needs to have a great game in game 5. If he does then we're more than capable of beating the Hawks and taking this back to Vancouver for a game 6. Take it one game at a time and let's see what happens.

All the pressure is on the Hawks to finish this off and let's just take the Montreal approach while playing the Capitals and let's see what we can do.

Enough with the BS just go out there and play your game. If you lose while playing your game then I got no problem with that but if you lose while trying to play the game the Hawks want you to play then that just doesn't work well with me.

We'll see what happens but I won't be surprised at all to see a game 7 in this series.

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 08:59 AM
KDizzle

No chance in hell.
Teams that have come back from this hole have at least shown some fight. As soon as the Canucks get scored on, they melt down.

No mental fortitude = time to golf! (which, ironically enough requires quite a bit of mental fortitude to be good at)

KDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 10:08 AM
brangle

I don't have any faith - I don't see them coming back. Taking bad penalties, not being able to kill penalties and not being able to catch a break is a very bad combination. They managed to get away from that against LA but I think that it has definitely caught up to them. The biggest thing about the combination of bad penalties, followed by poor penalty killing and unlucky bounces leading to goals is that it is completely demoralizing. Even if they outplay Chicago for a while there seems to be a bad turn of events and the game just gets away from the Canucks. That goal at the start of the 2nd period took the wind right out of the Canucks sails.

brangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 11:10 AM
Cocoa Crisp

The fix for this team is fairly straightforward: defensive zone coverage. They have the personnel to play disciplined puck pursuit hockey, provide strong backchecking pressure and give the dmen an easy pass out. Our current roster is more than capable of getting into passing lanes, rotating seamlessly, blocking shots. We've seen them do this in the past, as recently as the olympic roadtrip. Hell, we saw them do this when they were severely undermanned playing in Chicago on that same roadtrip.

I have faith that when the team's back is up against the wall, that they can rely on disciplined systems play. The offense will take care of itself, with our improved forward depth.

The best way to play a team like Chicago is to counterpunch and frustrate them with stifling defense. It almost worked for Nashville, and would have if not for their popgun offense - not helped at all by Hornqvist's injury.

Play defense like in '06-07 and you'll see '06-07 Luongo begin to re-emerge.

Have some faith.

Cocoa Crisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 11:35 AM
Slapshot_11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribban View Post
So, here it is.

A couple of losses and it seems as if most everybody is focusing in on silly season and what to do for next year while there is hockey still to be played.

I'll lead you along and say that I still believe in the Canucks and this team as it is.

The Canucks have lost three games, which they could just as well have won, and the reason to why they lost them has been mainly themselves... plus a great Chicago team that has converted their opportunities very well.

But, I would not call it a miracle if they come back and win three in a row. I really think they have the tools to win one in Chicago, one in Vancouver, and one more in Chicago.

What's your thought?
And they havent done anything to change it, in fact they just keep on making it worse. This team doesnt get it, too many idiots on this team that just talk and dont actually do the walk

Slapshot_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 11:42 AM
VanEric

I maintain that they will force a Game 6 and maybe Game 7 just to torture us. They'll fool us into thinking they're going to have this great comeback and then they'll lose 7-2.

It was troubling to see a lot of the post-game remarks last night including the coach throwing his goaltender under the bus. The reason the PK sucks and the defensive zone coverage sucks must have nothing to do with the coaching staff at all.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 12:02 PM
GuineaPigs

I just don't see them coming back from everything that has gone wrong so far. But I will always have hope and I know the Canucks like to tease us, so they might win a few more only to dissapoint us - again.

GuineaPigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 12:07 PM
Anodyne

Chicago lost 3 in a row once this season.

That said, it's more concievable than Montreal coming back from 3-1 down against Washington. Luongo needs one great game and it's a different series. Who knows. I have a little faith in the character of this team, even after two carbon copy idiotic losses, but I've stopped dreaming about round 3 for all intents and purposes. It's clearly their's to lose now. Maybe that can get us in the mindset we need to be in.

Anodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Bieksallent

I'd like us to extend the series and wear them out the little bit we can. If we can't win the cup I'd love to see San Jose finally get over the hump for two reasons. It would be nice to see them finally succeed, and they'd be less desperate to prove themselves next year.

Bieksallent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 12:09 PM
xOvechkin*

yes

belive in blue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

impossible is nothing

xOvechkin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
It was troubling to see a lot of the post-game remarks last night including the coach throwing his goaltender under the bus.
What are you talking about? The post-games with every player throwing a different part of the team under a bus was the only entertaining part of the evening!

Old
05-08-2010, 12:15 PM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

vCash: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
It was troubling to see a lot of the post-game remarks last night including the coach throwing his goaltender under the bus. The reason the PK sucks and the defensive zone coverage sucks must have nothing to do with the coaching staff at all.
av made similar comments after game 3 of the kings series and luongo bounced back fine...besides, what's he supposed to say after the hawks have scored 4, 5, and 7 goals in their last 3 games and luongo lets in a weak goal 20 seconds into a must-win game

i was actually more distressed by the player comments last night than anything av said...nobody was positive at all, nobody said anything about believing in themselves and getting back to playing their game instead of the game the hawks are dictating...it was all about how what was happening was "mind-blowing" and how they couldn't believe what was happening

stop feeling sorry for yourselves, regroup, play lights out in the first period in chicago, and go from there

Jack Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 12:16 PM
The Cowboy Poet

I have a little bit of faith, this team spent the entire season making come backs that I never thought they could make.

The Cowboy Poet is offline   Reply With Quote