HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Expect another work stoppage in a couple years

Old
04-27-2010, 11:29 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 406
Expect another work stoppage in a couple years

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The..._head_of_nhlpa

The Players union will lose all my respect if they go thru with this. I watched this man help destroy baseball and now he is going to do it to NHL

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 12:11 AM
zac

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The..._head_of_nhlpa

The Players union will lose all my respect if they go thru with this. I watched this man help destroy baseball and now he is going to do it to NHL
Donald Fehr is a f***ing ******* that will sacrifice the greater good of the sport, including that of the fans, the players themselves, and the owners just to line his and the players pockets. He was a large reason for the strike in 94, and I'm with you in thinking his hire will go a long way in rasing the likelihood for another NHL work stoppage.

If only the NHLPA had reps that have had one once of high school economics, they'd realize that that their desires and demands just aren't in touch with reality. Hockey in general is a smaller revenue sport, and very few teams can afford the gargantuan team salaries many of the players are longing for. Just once I'd like one of these idiots (like the delusional JR) to grow some balls and try to explain to the average fan why there has to be a lockout just because JR wants to have 10 houses but can only afford 7 with his current salary. It's just ridiculous.

The MLBPA is probably the strongest and most powerful union in the world, and it has done nothing but ruin the game of baseball. It took them YEARS to concede there was an issue with steroids, and they are almost always on the wrong side of any issue that deals with ethics. There was a time when unions were necessary to insure proprer working environments and condtions, but those days are LONG over.

Donald Fehr can bring no good to the sport of hockey, and his hiring goes a long way in tipping the hand of the players' intentions.

zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 12:24 AM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac View Post
Donald Fehr is a f***ing ******* that will sacrifice the greater good of the sport, including that of the fans, the players themselves, and the owners just to line his and the players pockets. He was a large reason for the strike in 94, and I'm with you in thinking his hire will go a long way in rasing the likelihood for another NHL work stoppage.

If only the NHLPA had reps that have had one once of high school economics, they'd realize that that their desires and demands just aren't in touch with reality. Hockey in general is a smaller revenue sport, and very few teams can afford the gargantuan team salaries many of the players are longing for. Just once I'd like one of these idiots (like the delusional JR) to grow some balls and try to explain to the average fan why there has to be a lockout just because JR wants to have 10 houses but can only afford 7 with his current salary. It's just ridiculous.

The MLBPA is probably the strongest and most powerful union in the world, and it has done nothing but ruin the game of baseball. It took them YEARS to concede there was an issue with steroids, and they are almost always on the wrong side of any issue that deals with ethics. There was a time when unions were necessary to insure proprer working environments and condtions, but those days are LONG over.

Donald Fehr can bring no good to the sport of hockey, and his hiring goes a long way in tipping the hand of the players' intentions.
So it's okay for the owner of a team to line his pockets but not okay for the guys that, you know, actually do the work?

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 12:46 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
This would be good news for NHL players, and horrible news for fans that enjoy watching NHL hockey. Anybody backing this move may very well be receiving a NHL paycheck.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 07:16 AM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
So it's okay for the owner of a team to line his pockets but not okay for the guys that, you know, actually do the work?
You don't think the guys doing the work are lining their pockets?

The owners are the ones assuming all the risk. Of course they should reap rewards.

However, that said, another work stoppage is incredibly unlikely.

Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 08:29 AM
Blackwater13*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Ike View Post

It would really hurt the game on many levels.

Blackwater13* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 09:17 AM
EmeticDonut

vCash: 1700
don't these greedy muppets realize that with lockouts everyone loses, owners, players and fans. i for one think that professional athletes in any big league around the world make way too much money anyways. if you can't make ends meet with a salary over 1 million then you are a greedy d'bags. you don't need 6 houses and 50 supercars! there's people on this rock living on less than a dollar a day, ffs.
eff humanity.

EmeticDonut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:12 AM
zac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Ike View Post
You don't think the guys doing the work are lining their pockets?

The owners are the ones assuming all the risk. Of course they should reap rewards.

I think you would be utterly shocked if you were able to see the bottom lines for most teams. After paying players, coaches, scouts, and everyone else in the organization profit margins are minimal for most teams. Even IF the owner is making good money why shouldn't they? In every other business in the world the owner is usually (if not always) the one who makes the most money. They assume all the risks and without all of the guarantees as the players.

What's truly ridiculous is that the players look at the game as a "business". In this "business" they try to justify their salaries based on the fact the owners have a lot of money. In most every scenario the bulk of the owner's wealth comes from activities OUTSIDE of owning the team. It's almost laughable that these said players expect the owners to cough out bajillions of dollars even IF its not being generated by the team. I guarantee these clowns wouldnt' think it was good "business" if they were on the other end.

If you think I'm siding with the owners I'm really not. I just think the players have gotten so delusional that they really don't see the big picture any more. Just like everything else in life there needs to be a balance, and in hockey that balance is harmony between the players, owners/organization, and the fans. Right now the the balance is players>>>owners>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>fans. Every time the players pine for an increase pie it's coming from the fans' pockets, not the owners'. But like I said, NONE of the players has enough character to admit to a middle income that their greed and selfishness is the reason it costs a family of 4 well over 200 dollars (in some cases a LOT more) to attend a game.

I'd also like to get an explanation why most owners think the tax payer's should foot the entire bill for their stadiums. But that's a whole other issue entirely.

Old
04-28-2010, 11:16 AM
zac

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshinaya View Post
don't these greedy muppets realize that with lockouts everyone loses, owners, players and fans. i for one think that professional athletes in any big league around the world make way too much money anyways. if you can't make ends meet with a salary over 1 million then you are a greedy d'bags. you don't need 6 houses and 50 supercars! there's people on this rock living on less than a dollar a day, ffs.
eff humanity.
Bingo.

If you can't be happy and content making 7 figures every year then you really are a sorry sack of s***. And for playing a GAME no less. Thanks for getting the big picture roshinaya.

Old
04-28-2010, 02:45 PM
Steve Passless*

Reinsdorf and Fehr pretty much caused the 1994 strike. Welcome to the NHL, both of you!

Steve Passless* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 12:20 AM
PSUJorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac View Post
Bingo.

If you can't be happy and content making 7 figures every year then you really are a sorry sack of s***. And for playing a GAME no less. Thanks for getting the big picture roshinaya.
The point is, if the owners are making money off the players, why shouldn't the players get a cut? And why should they settle for such a small percent when really they are the ones sacrificing their bodies and are going to be living their whole like past hockey like they're 80 from the aches and pains.

PSUJorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 12:46 AM
AbeLincolnsGhost

Send a message via AIM to AbeLincolnsGhost
Quote:
Originally Posted by psujorge View Post
The point is, if the owners are making money off the players, why shouldn't the players get a cut? And why should they settle for such a small percent when really they are the ones sacrificing their bodies and are going to be living their whole like past hockey like they're 80 from the aches and pains.
I don't think that was melodramatic enough... I would say 273.

If I could make 7 figures (or even high 6) for even like 8 years, much less a possibility of close to 20 I would need to change my pants once an hour. They won't be THAT bad off after their careers are over, and most of them walk away with more than enough to never need to work again. Those that do work again, usually end up working watching hockey and talking about it in some capacity, or coaching others to play. Real hard life.

The owners AND the players don't need to be so ****ing greedy, but they are, as is everyone else. I accept that, but I really don't want to miss a whole season of great hockey just because some dudes think they deserve an extra million a year or something.

AbeLincolnsGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 07:50 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by psujorge View Post
simply the dumbest post I have seen on here....

I guess every cashier at Walgreens should be making $350,000 a year since they are sacrificing their lives, time, and well being (hey, they get carpel tunnel (sp?) ya know) for a company that makes millions upon millions of dollars..

I can't believe there is a single soul in this world that would honestly take the side of the player in any of these issues....yes management started giving out these assanine contracts 3 plus decades ago, but the greed has taken over the soul of most of these athletes in all sports.

There is no right for a player to think they should be entitled to more money because their boss is making a profit off of an entire TEAM....this is not how real business works. I can just see the guy working for Honda going to his CEO, "you know what, I help build the cars you sell, that makes you millions of dollars; therefore I should be entitled to a certain percentage of that money".....yeah right, like that will ever happen. it is insane and has no merit.

Without starting a crap storm, unions ruin everything....there is no point for them any more in todays society except to profit off of their "union brothers" and pad their own pockets....the 1920-40's are over, the only thing organized labor is doing is destroying companies that help feed families. I work for a company that uses local 710 and another local for over the road drivers by the way, (manager) I see the evil that exists every day of the week...and that is for people making 20 bucks an hour...

....and I am being lead to believe that millionare athletes need union representation as well? what a complete farce and sham....these athletes should grow some stones, dump the union, and when issues arise, have the NHL hire an independent arbitrator to hear their cases.....and guess what??? they can also have the NHL hire actual attorneys that will work their butts off to get what is right for the players because they only get paid per case, and not some fat cat salary...the NHL would do this in a heartbeat because they wouldnt have to go through all the mindless red tags that comes with unions....they would gladly spit out a few million a year to rid themselves of such a complete and utter joke of an organization....unions.

I am sure I seem like a ranting lunatic, but millionare athletes should not be in a union...and anyone that argues this is just as insane as they are...I am sick and tired of paying insane costs to go watch a game, and though things will never go back to what it was 20 years ago....I can't stand by and watch it go down even further.....especially for a sport that has the least amount of revenue and profits from the so called "big 4".

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 09:55 PM
Hawker14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Passless View Post
Reinsdorf and Fehr pretty much caused the 1994 strike. Welcome to the NHL, both of you!

Exactly. Any that think these two will be of any benefit to the NHL are delusional, imo.

Hawker14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Hawksfan12*

Hawksfan12* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 07:08 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 168
The moment Fehr signed on we knew the league waS GOING TO BE shut down again