HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What happened?

Old
05-08-2010, 07:34 AM
FreakyEuro*

vCash: 500
What happened?

Rangers fan coming in peace.

I watch this series with no big lean on either team (maybe just 55-45 in Chicago's favor) and so far I loved the games for the intensity, speed and skill level on both sides. This series (in terms of entertainment quality) exceeds both of the Eastern Conference series. So first of all kudos to both teams, I can understand this might not cheer you up, but this series is a treat to watch for a neutral fan like myself.

In game one you owned the Chicago all over their home ice and I thought this was going to be a short series. For the most part it was cause they played it like figure skaters, drop passes, circles, tic-tac-toes etc. Ever since the coin turned, they somehow managed to get in Roberto Luongo's face, they score all their goals from in front of the net and they don't miss a single chance to take a run into your goalie. I mean the trend of Chicago can't be more evident.

I wonder is it a coaching problem on your part or is it because your defensive squad is unable to contain the Chicago forwards physically (I don't believe it's the latter as Vancouver sports rather physically adept defensemen like Bieksa, Salo etc.). Can it also be a factor that Sedin brothers don't play up to their potential in this series? I'd welcome your insider opinion as I'm mainly focused on Eastern Conference hence I really don't know much about Western Conference teams.

So thanks for your answers and the best of luck to your team, I kind of hope you'll step it up and make a comeback, because this series is the most fun to watch and I quite selfishly don't want it to end.

FreakyEuro* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 09:04 AM
The Pucks

2 simple reasons,

1st Chicago's defence is better than Vancouver's
2nd Chicago's forwards are more skilled than Vancouver's.

I believe Vancouver misses Willie Mitchell more than one would have hoped, especially on the PP. The defence is still the achillies heal of the team.

The Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 09:27 AM
senfan266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luongold View Post
2 simple reasons,

I believe Vancouver misses Willie Mitchell more than one would have hoped, especially on the PP. The defence is still the achillies heal of the team.
you have ehrhoff, bieksa, salo, edler. what more do you want? stop making excuses for luongo.

senfan266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 09:32 AM
jimmythescot

Quote:
2 simple reasons,

I wouldn't say they're more skilled, but they're definitely bigger. The defence is the biggest problem. The coaching has been pretty bad too. It could be that AV and co are making dumb decisions, or the players aren't listening. In either case I would say a change has to be made.

EDIT: And I assume Sensfan266 hasn't seen Bieksa play in the last couple of years. I used to support him, and he did make one nice interception on a scoring chance last night, but enough is enough.

jimmythescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 09:37 AM
BaconStrips

It is Luongo.

He doesn't let the first shot go in and demoralize his team it is a different game (or the 3 other goals that were his fault)

BaconStrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 10:03 AM
FreakyEuro*

Quote:
2 simple reasons,

I have to admit you got me surprised there, I always thought Vancouver has one of the top defense and offense (Sedins, Kesler, Samuelsson... need to say more?) in the league. I sort of expected people here will confirm my bad coaching theory ... because when you browse the lineup as it stands on the paper, I don't see where should the problem be for the Canucks.

Old
05-08-2010, 10:14 AM
FreakyEuro*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicBomb View Post
It is Luongo.

He doesn't let the first shot go in and demoralize his team it is a different game (or the 3 other goals that were his fault)
I've seen the series first match and he was absolutelly superb, standing on his head.

He strikes me as a goalie who is stellar when he's got the service from his defensemen, but he gets distracted once he gets interfered with. This is why I believed the main problem was miscoaching, because the if you give Luongo some comfort, he will take care of the rest, imo.

I don't know, you guys know. I base my assumptions on 3 matches I've seen in this series (didn't see game 2), so I can be easily wrong.

Old
05-08-2010, 10:37 AM
Diamonddog01

Like any collapse I'm not sure you can point the blame at one single player or one single element of the organization (ie coaching).

If I were to try to break it down it's a combination of the following

Our defensive personnel continue to make horrible gaffes, Bieksa has directly caused 3 momentum changing goals that has cost us games. I cannot wait to see this guy get traded out of Vancouver, at this point I'd take a 3rd round pick. He's been that bad. Alberts also has been fairly bad, he seemed to have some serious issues adjusting to the Western conference, has caused us numerous penalties.

Special teams, which everyone knows is huge in the playoffs, seems to have been forgotten about by our GM and coaching staff. Our PK has been the worst I have ever seen, and I stated in the LA series we had no business winning that series with a 42% PK or whatever it was. We are seeing the continuation of that in this series. Our PP which was decent during the year has inexplicably disappeared.

Luongo has had poor rebound control but I really don't think you can pin that much of this series on him. Milbury (god didn't think I'd ever agree with Mike frickin Milbury) stated last night that that Toews goal was simply due to bad luck, which I agree with. We have not had any puck luck this series, the Hawks are being gift wrapped bounces and rebounds and while Niemi is giving up just as juicy rebounds the Canuck players are on the opposite side, or whiff. I will say making Luongo captain was a stupid decision at the time and this year has confirmed that judgment in my opinion. A goalie should not be captain, period. This offseason he needs to voluntarily give up the c and focus on playing goal instead of dealing with the media. In general though our top players are being outplayed by rookies, 2nd liners and the like. We're not even really being beaten the Hawks best players (with the exception of Toews last night). The Sedins have been very quiet after Game 1, and the rest of the team hasn't been that much better.

Mental fortitude, fight, push back - or the lack thereof. Game 3 was one of the most humiliating games I have ever witnessed as a Canuck fan. Yes Anaheim dominated us a few years back, but this is physical domination in addition to taunting the team and its fans while snickering at us the entire time. The team was totally emasculated. Just shameful. When Byfuglien is taunting the crowd like that is when it is time for Rypien or someone along those lines to drop their glove and sucker punch a Blackhawk if they refuse to fight. Yes he might get suspended, and yes it may expose our abysmal PK once again, but to just take it up the ass like that...words just can't express it.

The Hawks got into the Canucks heads last year, and the theme of this year was supposed to vengeance, redemption, etc however it seems as though the Hawks are just continuing their psychological, in addition to physical domination of the team. It's on its way to turning into the Ottawa/Toronto playoff rivalry of a few years back, in which Ottawa lost 4 series in a row.

Coaching. They started the series with a retarded "turn the other cheek" policy, decided to change their game specifically for the Hawks. This sort of responding to the other team instead of dictating the style of play/making them respond to us approach never works. This is an important one as far as I'm concerned, and I directly blame Vigneault. One of the stupidest policies implemented by any coach this postseason.

I guess all are interrelated. Very frustrating series thus far for sure, and even though it's wrong and I'm sure I'll cool down eventually it's getting to the point where I don't even care if we win the series or not, I just want blood.

Last edited by Diamonddog01: 05-08-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Diamonddog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 10:51 AM
petrishriekandgo
Why not us?

Two things IMHO, OK, three:

a) Reffing: Not saying it's gone against the Canucks BUT the Canucks went into the series NOT expecting an anything-goes-in-the-crease series. Game three changed all that and consequently the Canucks haven't really adjusted their defensive game to accommodate. Their D is based on breakouts and quick clears not fighting in front of the net. With Chicago being allowed to go to the net with little to no consequences the Canucks D strategy has been completely exposed and their speed game has suffered because of it.

b) Fragile team... unable to fight through events/circumstances in a given period/game. Not sure where this has materialized from... just can't seem to shake the demons of last years loss to the Hawks. Unless they can do that they've already lost the series.

c) Fragile Lou... he suffers from this more than anyone on this team. Ever since the 7 against in game 6 vs Chicago last year he's been a different goalie. His mystique is gone, he doesn't scare teams anymore, doesn't make them think before they shoot, doesn't make them second guess themselves. No big saves in the last few games and killer goals to open game 4 within the 1st minute of the 1st and 2nd periods.

Add it all up and it's obvious this team derives the base of it's confidence from Luongo's play. With the refs allowing the crap they have, Luongo getting rattled and allowing the goals he has and the team in front of him falling apart because they know the core of their system has broken down.... uggh, not a great recipe for success.

Just watch the Canucks when Luongo is on his game... holy crap they are a GREAT team. I'm not blaming him specifically as other things have conspired to create the scenario before us... but ONLY "GREAT-SAVE-LUONGO" or "LA-LA-LA-LUONGO" can get us to a game 7 in this series now. Anything short of his 06/07 self won't cut it.

petrishriekandgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 11:16 AM
dmacgreg37

Quote:
Originally Posted by senfan266 View Post
you have ehrhoff, bieksa, salo, edler. what more do you want? stop making excuses for luongo.
When you include Bieksa on any list of positives for us, you show you have no idea what you're talking about. Unless the list was pending-UFA.

dmacgreg37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 11:18 AM
KingKane

Well, from a Chicago fan, I'll tell you (IMO) what happened differently from game 1 (a game i was at, worst game of my LIFE!!!).

The majority of it has to do with Chicago's lines, whether you want to believe it or not, it does! The other 5-10% is the Nucks just getting to emotional and letting there emotions capsize on themselves.

I have never seen a team (in my 20 something years watching) change up there lines sooo much and look like a totally different team each time they do, this been going on all season long with the Hawks.

Coach Q hit the sweet spot with putting Big Buff on the same line as Toews and Kane in game 3 & 4, this line is simply killing the Nucks and is also the main line getting in there heads!

I will say, Burrows is such a handicap to the Cunucks in this series, he gotta be on something, otherwise why would he be getting obvious penalties that he should know will just hurt his team???

All in all there is a reason Chicago had 112 points in season and came a point away from clinching 1st, and all this with the worst goalie in the NHL (Huet). I have no doubt they would have had between 120-125 points if not for Huet in the net for the majority of the season and Niemi was in.

I think everyone needs to give credit were credit is due, Chicago is a beast of a team, it's not all the Nucks fault, there facing a team that not only is outplaying them, but also out psyching there mental.

KingKane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 11:21 AM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

comes down to three things i believe:

1. chicago's best players are outclassing vancouver's best players...toews/kane/seabrook/keith are cleary outplaying sedins/kesler/luongo

2. goaltending...if vancouver had a chance in this series then they couldn't lose the goaltending battle

3. special teams...vancouver never really "fixed" their pk after their horrific display during the kings series and has made the chicago pp, which has been terrible all year, look like the 84 oilers...luongo's inability to make a save on the pk certainly helps this as well

the whole "lack of composure" narrative by the media i actually don't think is a major reason for the downfall...canucks have received the short end of the stick on the officiating and every penalty has resulted in a goal in the back of their net because of their terrible goaltending/penalty killing

Jack Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 11:31 AM
FreakyEuro*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
Mental fortitude, fight, push back - or the lack thereof. Game 3 was one of the most humiliating games I have ever witnesses as a Canuck fan. Yes Anaheim dominated us a few years back, but this is physical domination in addition to taunting the team and its fans while snickering at us the entire time. The team was totally emasculated. Just shameful. When Byfuglien is taunting the crowd like that is when it is time for Rypien or someone along those lines to drop their glove and sucker punch a Blackhawk if they refuse to fight. Yes he might get suspended, and yes it may expose our abysmal PK once again, but to just take it up the ass like that...words just can't express it.
^This. I can't agree more with you. There are no words in this world for me to describe how it tears me apart when my team is being intimidated and NOBODY, not even the big bad guys, does anything to change it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
I guess all are interrelated. Very frustrating series thus far for sure, and even though it's wrong and I'm sure I'll cool down eventually it's getting to the point where I don't even care if we win the series or not, I just want blood. I want a McSorley slash to Byfuglien's head. Classy I know.
^Believe me, I can feel your pain. Set manners aside, playoffs is a war. And if somebody takes your team apart by intimidating play, the fear creeps into the players and they start to shy out from checks etc. and there's no good end to it. This is how you lose series. This year when Carcillo started a fistfight on Gaborik I thought I was going to smash all the furnishing in the room for how mad I was nobody answered the bell. I don't care what it takes (be it an elbow headcheck) to make the message understood: what goes around comes around and if you misbehave, there WILL be retaliation.

Thanks for the interesting writeup, it explains alot.

Old
05-08-2010, 11:35 AM
FreakyEuro*

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrishriekandgo View Post
Just watch the Canucks when Luongo is on his game... holy crap they are a GREAT team. I'm not blaming him specifically as other things have conspired to create the scenario before us... but ONLY "GREAT-SAVE-LUONGO" or "LA-LA-LA-LUONGO" can get us to a game 7 in this series now. Anything short of his 06/07 self won't cut it.
He showed it in game one of the series. Nothing short from stellar. And I agree with you to the point, maybe not fully on the officiating point, but all the rest.

Old
05-08-2010, 11:42 AM
FreakyEuro*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKane View Post
Coach Q hit the sweet spot with putting Big Buff on the same line as Toews and Kane in game 3 & 4, this line is simply killing the Nucks and is also the main line getting in there heads!
^This. Byfuglien seems to be a Canuck nightmare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKane View Post
All in all there is a reason Chicago had 112 points in season and came a point away from clinching 1st, and all this with the worst goalie in the NHL (Huet). I have no doubt they would have had between 120-125 points if not for Huet in the net for the majority of the season and Niemi was in.

I think everyone needs to give credit were credit is due, Chicago is a beast of a team, it's not all the Nucks fault, there facing a team that not only is outplaying them, but also out psyching there mental.
I disagree with this. When you average the skaters, Vancouver and Chicago are on par in terms of quality, Vancouver having a slight edge in offense, Chicago having a slight edge on defense. Those, teams are equal, paper-strength wise. Chicago has a great team no doubt, but so have the Canucks. But you have a point on this psychic thing, Hawks seem to have gotten under the skin of Luongo and in the heads Canucks skaters.

Old
05-08-2010, 11:46 AM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakyEuro View Post
When you average the skaters, Vancouver and Chicago are on par in terms of quality, Vancouver having a slight edge in offense, Chicago having a slight edge on defense. Those, teams are equal, paper-strength wise. Chicago has a great team no doubt, but so have the Canucks. But you have a point on this psychic thing, Hawks seem to have gotten under the skin of Luongo and in the heads Canucks skaters.
i would've thought that after losing 6 of the last 7 playoff games played against chicago, canuck fans would stop espousing the myth that vancouver's forward depth is superior to chicago's

imagine how much more lobsided this series would be if guys like marian hossa, andrew ladd, or kris versteeg actually showed up to play

it's true that chicago is clearly has vancouver's number, but after a certain number of defeats you also have to admit that the hawks simply have superior personnel to the canucks...and with the amount of bc boys on the team, i wouldn't be ashamed to admit that

Old
05-08-2010, 11:46 AM
FreakyEuro*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tripper View Post
3. special teams...vancouver never really "fixed" their pk after their horrific display during the kings series and has made the chicago pp, which has been terrible all year, look like the 84 oilers...luongo's inability to make a save on the pk certainly helps this as well
I couldn't help myself. That was quality

Old
05-08-2010, 11:49 AM
Cocoa Crisp

Almost every goal against Vancouver this series boils down to two things: Rebound by Luongo, and every Canuck defender facing the wrong way, unable to pick out the puck, unable to tie up their man, unable to do anything really other than collapse and play goaltender once in a while.

It's baffling to watch. I believe that it's a combination of the team losing some confidence in their goaltending because of the rebound control and subsequent Chicago goal, and also defensive coaching. Crease play was never this team's strong suit, but c'mon! It's bantam-level awful right now. Surely Bowness et al. can establish some kind of system that helps box out the Hawks and gives us chance to clear the puck. I mean even when they do win the battle and gain the puck, they randomly panic and cough it back up to the Chicago dman at the point or end up scoring on themselves.

It trickles down from there. Forwards get frustrated constantly playing from behind. Lu starts second-guessing and gives up even more horrific rebounds because he's cheating trying to compensate for defensive coverage he doesn't trust. Defenders lose confidence in Lu because of his rebound control. The whole thing is just spiralling out of control and as a Canucks fan, it's very disheartening to watch.

Cocoa Crisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 11:53 AM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
i would've thought that after losing 6 of the last 7 playoff games played against chicago, canuck fans would stop espousing the myth that vancouver's forward depth is superior to chicago's

imagine how much more lobsided this series would be if guys like marian hossa, andrew ladd, or kris versteeg actually showed up to play

it's true that chicago is clearly has vancouver's number, but after a certain number of defeats you also have to admit that the hawks simply have superior personnel to the canucks...and with the amount of bc boys on the team, i wouldn't be ashamed to admit that
Is personnel the issue? I'm not so sure. When its different guys getting hat tricks all the time, my thoughts are that its systemic. Look where Toews and Byfuglien scored all their goals. All in front of the net. Is it skill? Sure. But its also 100% knowing where almost all goals are scored in the playoffs. Not with speed off the wing, but with persistence in front of the net.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 11:54 AM
jimmythescot

Quote:

If you switched the two teams defences, our forward core with the Hawks defencemen would be barebottom spanking the opposition.

The Hawks are looking so good because we can't defend.

jimmythescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 11:59 AM
Dado

vCash:
My immediate reaction after last night is that our management has created a team of mental midgets who are great during the regular season but simply cannot get it done during the playoffs.

Waking up this morning, a little bit calmer, I have to consider the possibility that our top end simply isn't good enough to compete at this level. And the mental breakdowns aren't weakness, exactly, but more a sign of their own frustration with what they are realizing are too-high expectations.

The scary thing is we've committed to this core group for a long, long time.

Old
05-08-2010, 12:00 PM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythescot View Post
If you switched the two teams defences, our forward core with the Hawks defencemen would be barebottom spanking the opposition.

The Hawks are looking so good because we can't defend.
after getting spanked a second year in a row we should start giving some credit to the hawks and stop with the "but if" excuses for losers

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
Is personnel the issue? I'm not so sure. When its different guys getting hat tricks all the time, my thoughts are that its systemic. Look where Toews and Byfuglien scored all their goals. All in front of the net. Is it skill? Sure. But its also 100% knowing where almost all goals are scored in the playoffs. Not with speed off the wing, but with persistence in front of the net.
after you (probably) lose in the playoffs almost the exact same way two years in a row i think hard questions need to be asked about the personnel

in the last 5 playoff games against vancouver, kane, toews, and byfuglien all have hat tricks...that's a first line outplaying the sedins no matter how you twist it, as daniel sedin has way more penalties than goals this series

you have a d-core that has an inability to handle big forwards crashing the net and an inability to maintain composure in the defensive zone when chicago starts pressuring offensively

it's one thing to know how to score goals in front of the net in the playoffs, but you also need to have the personnel to succeed in doing this...detroit has players like franzen and holmstrom, san jose has players like clowe and marleau, chicago has players like toews and hossa, and vancouver has nobody that has proven the ability to do this

Old
05-08-2010, 12:02 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakyEuro View Post
And if somebody takes your team apart by intimidating play...
But there hasn't really been any "intimidating play". They push until there's push back - that's playoff hockey, always has been. If they were coming at us like the Broad Street Bullies, ok, maybe there's something there. But they're not, what's going on out there is actually pretty mild.

And that's what is so troubling.

Old
05-08-2010, 12:06 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
But there hasn't really been any "intimidating play". They push until there's push back - that's playoff hockey, always has been. If they were coming at us like the Broad Street Bullies, ok, maybe there's something there. But they're not, what's going on out there is actually pretty mild.

Many Chicago forwards play an intrinsically rugged style, so they don't have to overtly go out to hit.

The Canucks aren't intrinsically physical and thus have to go out of their way to hit and play a physical style. When you overcompensate for this, you end up out of position and taking penalties.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 12:07 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post

Not only that, but "losing our composure" seems to be amounting to little shoves and crosschecks - or Bieksa acting tough once the game has been decided and then abruptly skating back to the bench. If you're going to lose your composure then lose your composure, if you're going to take a penalty for retaliating then at least send a message (ie an elbow to the head). This is just pathetic.

Diamonddog01 is offline   Reply With Quote