HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Group C • 05/09/10 • Norway 2, Sweden 5

View Poll Results: Who scores more points in this game?
Tony Mårtensson 1 5.88%
Mats Zuccarello Aasen 11 64.71%
Tie 5 29.41%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-10-2010, 02:05 AM
KRM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LennyV View Post
I really cannot grasp all this BÅG-bashing connected to his relationship with the media. Sure he seems to have problems motivating his players to perform in clutch situations (since 2006) and I can respect if people don't like his hockey philosophy (very european, loads of "smart" centers playing very similiar to how he himself played the game 20 yrs ago) but I can't really see why BÅG should be so patient when lackluster journalists like Wenström & Mats Wennerholm fall into stereotypical macho ******** rants centering around populist agendas about how hockey should be played. Ironic how all these media figures are trying to jump on Niklas Wikegård band wagon when it comes to critizicing BÅGs coaching philosophy. Are they feel a connection with Wikegård because they all share the same number of hockey titles won as a coach...0

I'm not saying you have to love how Tre Kronor plays under BÅG and the team surely failed to perform under his command in the Vancouver OG but please try to give him critique which fits in the framework in which he sees hockey. At the moment it seems like any one can bash BÅG in any kind of way without it (the bashing) being scrutinized at all..
Totally agree with this, I've only met Wenström once but he came off like a real jerk to me. Had I been forced to answer to him in several interviews I would probably acted the same way BÅG does.

Old
05-10-2010, 10:07 AM
John Druce
Flynt Flossy

A few points from my viewing of the game

a) MPS, despite having three points, really alarms me with his reluctance to play in the corners. He's loaded with speed and talent, but I think that it will be many years before he can handle the NHL game.

b) OEL is going to be a star in the NHL, and probably very soon. His understanding of the game is second to none of the recent swedish prospects (except maybe Larsson, who I have not seen play more than the recent WJC's)

c) Norway is at the top of thier game, and they deserve a pat on the back for keeping up with the Swedes for two periods. The Norwegians FINALLY have some guys that can put the puck in the net. That means that they can steal games once in a while. Too bad thier defense is terrible.

d) Norwegian NRK announcers are just so bad. My norwegian is not perfect or anything, but these guys flat-out do not know what they are talking about. They do not understand the game, nor do they do the most basic research required to inform the viewers.

Old
05-10-2010, 10:42 AM
Ribban

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Druce View Post

d) Norwegian NRK announcers are just so bad. My norwegian is not perfect or anything, but these guys flat-out do not know what they are talking about. They do not understand the game, nor do they do the most basic research required to inform the viewers.
I was watching the NRK stream too, and I will say in those guys' defense that I think they are trying to sell the team and the sport to the Norwegian audience by making things look a little different than what they were. JMHO.

Old
05-10-2010, 11:00 AM
SirKillalot

vCash: 390
For supporter and fans. Those announcers are absolute horrible.

But, yes. As he said, they are trying to sell it to average Joe.

Old
05-11-2010, 03:22 AM
GoHomez

Quote:
Originally Posted by LennyV View Post
I really cannot grasp all this BÅG-bashing connected to his relationship with the media. Sure he seems to have problems motivating his players to perform in clutch situations (since 2006) and I can respect if people don't like his hockey philosophy (very european, loads of "smart" centers playing very similiar to how he himself played the game 20 yrs ago) but I can't really see why BÅG should be so patient when lackluster journalists like Wenström & Mats Wennerholm fall into stereotypical macho ******** rants centering around populist agendas about how hockey should be played. Ironic how all these media figures are trying to jump on Niklas Wikegård band wagon when it comes to critizicing BÅGs coaching philosophy. Are they feel a connection with Wikegård because they all share the same number of hockey titles won as a coach...0

I'm not saying you have to love how Tre Kronor plays under BÅG and the team surely failed to perform under his command in the Vancouver OG but please try to give him critique which fits in the framework in which he sees hockey. At the moment it seems like any one can bash BÅG in any kind of way without it (the bashing) being scrutinized at all..
Did you see the interview I was reffering to?
The thing is, none of the discussion centered around the game but his dealings with the swedish Detroit players.

And either way you slice it, no matter how his teams perform, in my eyes, he is terrible when it comes to dealing with the media. He gets defensive, aggresive, making dumb comments trying to make the journalist look bad. Childish stuff that belongs in kindergartens. And it wouldnt take much, two days with a media relations coach and he'd be fine.

If you dont want to answer specific questions, there are pretty easy to learn ways of answering them, it is not rocket science.

And yeah, most of the journalist are lackluster, that doesnt matter!
SEL coaches deal with them on a daily basis and most of them (excluding Challe Berglund) is doing pretty fine.

End of the story, when you are the head of the national team you MUST be bigger than getting into pointless dscussions you shouldnt have entered in the first place or making remarks trying to belittle journalist.

Old
05-12-2010, 02:03 AM
LennyV

I can see your point (I also have to admit that I haven't seen the specific interview that you are refering to. My remarks about the critique of BÅGs handling of the media was intended as general) and to some extent I agree with you that if you need to show some willingness to handle the media if you are in a position such as the one BÅG is in. It seems though clear to me though that the swedish sports media seems to be on a mission to form and define the way in which a swedish head coach acts and behaves in interviews.

This is done with the public intention of satisfying the swedish hockey audience but it seems obvious that it has more to do with the media as an industry than the needs and wishes of the audience. They have interests that the coach of Tre Kronor (this is also the case with the swedish national football team) help them in their reports of the game. These interests can obviously be entwined with our, the audience, interests to get desired information about the game but they are still not the same and these days I feel that most of the critique coming from journalists about BÅG is kind of uninteresting to me and often I feel offended by the way journalists do this. My offendedness and general lack of interest in what journalists say is described in my post above and I don't see the point of repeating it.

Closed Thread