HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is it time to end the Andrei Kostitsyn experiment this summer?

Old
05-09-2010, 12:46 PM
Habsfan18

vCash: 500
Is it time to end the Andrei Kostitsyn experiment this summer?

I used to be one of his biggest fans, but it's now obvious to me that it's just not working out for him in Montreal.

He doesn't have the drive and effort level to produce on a consistent basis. Some games, he'll look like the most naturally gifted player on the ice, but those games are few and far between. It's getting to the point where he's dragging his linemates down with him.

I never thought I would be saying this, but I think it's time he's dealt. I would do a back flip if we could send him to St.Louis for David Backes, but I highly doubt the Blues would even consider that.

Anyways, what do you guys think? Is it the end of the road for Andrei in Montreal? Will he be traded this summer?

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 12:47 PM
Zeroknowledge*

I hope they do trade him, waive him, dump him, buy him out, whatever it takes, he doesn't deserve to wear the Habs jersey.

Zeroknowledge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 12:51 PM
Charlie Milles*
Uh... Go Canucks?

What could Gauthier possibly get for Kostitsyn? Any possible way he brings in a top-six forward for both Andrei & Sergei?

Charlie Milles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 12:51 PM
holyhabs

I was a big fan too. Not impressed at all with how he has played, especially in the post-season. On top of his poor effort on most nights, he just is not a smart player.

Question is who do we replace him with? I don't think we have anyone to replace him. His value is probably not high at all right. We might just be better off keeping him as he only has 1 year left on his contract.

I don't even think you could pull that trade for Backes off in a video game though, lol.

holyhabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 12:52 PM
CanadienErrant*

A.K + S.K MUST leave the Habs and Montreal.

If the Habs can get a second-rounder + a late rounder for the pair, go ahead. If they can can an active player, even better.

I would not mind to have a guy like O'Sullivan or Bernier + a pick.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 12:55 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Breton Oilers View Post
What could Gauthier possibly get for Kostitsyn? Any possible way he brings in a top-six forward for both Andrei & Sergei?
Andrei and Sergei could both end up being good players but I think they should be traded. But I don't think we would get good top six with the two of them combined.
I could see them being traded for a strong third or fourth line upgrade. Maybe even a d man is possible.

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 12:57 PM
Go Habs Go

I think its time to get rid of both Kost brothers. I see the potential and skill but at this moment the Habs need guys who can deliver right away. We've got a team good enough, a goalie good enough to contend with the Caps and Pens. We need to cut the fat. Can't sit around and wait for them to become the players they will become. Need guys who can make an impact now. I say trade them and Price (love Price but Halak can play so why not?) and get a tough winger for the top 6 and another tougher winger/center for the bottom 6. Find a way to dump one of the useless salaries on D, make room for Subban and try to sign a Volchenkov type of defenseman. We'll be an even bigger force next year in the playoffs.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 12:59 PM
Ross MacLochness

Wheres the player that was here in 07-08? These days when he does move his legs he skates like he's 90.

Other than that tear in December, you can practically count on one hand the number of scoring chances he's generated this year. I mean it's getting ridiculous.

If we trade him we need somebody with size who can put up some numbers. No more friggin midgets, I like the guys we acquired last summer but I'm sorry we need bigger bodies in the top 6. Where the hell are we going to find his replacement.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 01:01 PM
Ginu

In my opinion they're gone. I heard rumblings at the trade deadline that Gauthier was going after Horton with the Kostitsyn brothers + more. I'm excited at the potential return considering we were able to get a #4 overall for Latendresse and St. Louis's 4th best prospect in Paluschaj for D'Agostini. Hopefully they can grab another great player. I wouldn't be surprised to see Weber go too with the emergence of Subban and O'Byrne in these playoffs.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 01:02 PM
Charlie Milles*
Uh... Go Canucks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferiah View Post
Andrei and Sergei could both end up being good players but I think they should be traded. But I don't think we would get good top six with the two of them combined.
I could see them being traded for a strong third or fourth line upgrade. Maybe even a d man is possible.
It's a shame because they both have the potential to be top-six forwards, but in light of Sergei's attitude & it's apparent affect on Andrei, the Habs will most likely not get full-value for them. And they'll no doubt blossom in another city. ... As long as they go out West, I guess.

Old
05-09-2010, 01:04 PM
Coldplay
Courage

I too used to be one of AK's biggest fans, but I've had enough of his lack of drive, of passion. He doesn't try out there period. Don't compare him to Kovalev. Kovalev always put effort into making things happen on offense and was unpredictable...AKost just doesn't look like he cares. And it's a shame, because he has the skill to be a very good player in this league.

Time to ship them out...agreed.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 01:07 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

I'd trade him as long as we can fill his spot with a top 6 winger who can improve our team, I'd love to see Sharp or Horton on the line with Cammalleri and Plekanec.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 01:07 PM
andy28

Quote:
It's a shame because they both have the potential to be top-six forwards, but in light of Sergei's attitude & it's apparent affect on Andrei, the Habs will most likely not get full-value for them. And they'll no doubt blossom in another city. ... As long as they go out West, I guess.
Not just the attitude. Andrei had one really impressive year. He may flourish somewhere else, but he may not. He has proven nothing, and that is a risk for another team. If you want a top six for him you are going to be trading for another team's similar story which is also a risk for us, someone who was supposed to be good but hasnt performed and may never perform.

Old
05-09-2010, 01:09 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Not just the attitude. Andrei had one really impressive year. He may flourish somewhere else, but he may not. He has proven nothing, and that is a risk for another team. If you want a top six for him you are going to be trading for another team's similar story which is also a risk for us.
Exactly.

That is why we should not expect more than a similar player with some untapped potential like O'Sullivan or Bernier. Or a Russian player who played in the KHL and might want to coma back to the NHL like Radulov or Zherdev.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 01:11 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
His and his brother's time have ended in Montreal...everyone hates them and they're not playing well and likely never will with the Habs. Might as well try to scrape up what we can for them while we can. If the stay in the NHL, they'll put it together and become very good players on another team imo.

One thing I have to mention is Andrei never complained unlike all our other Russian speaking failures. I remember last season he had an interview where the reporter tried to make him blame the coach because he wasn't getting PP icetime and he avoided the question even with his limited English knowledge. When they asked him to play in the AHL? He did it for 3 years. When they put him on the 4th line, he actually increased his number of hits in those games (ie. showed he still cared a little at least). Perezhogin, Sergei, Samsonov, Grabovski etc. all complained they weren't being treated fairly. Yeah, he has terrible consistency and some effort issues but even the haters gotta give him some props for not being a **** disturber.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 01:11 PM
Charlie Milles*
Uh... Go Canucks?

Quote:
Not just the attitude. Andrei had one really impressive year. He may flourish somewhere else, but he may not. He has proven nothing, and that is a risk for another team. If you want a top six for him you are going to be trading for another team's similar story which is also a risk for us.
Yeah, you're right. I don't think it would be another Pouliot/Latendresse trade. But I do believe that they both have great potential. Seems to be all psychological with them. Sergei has the mentality of a 14-year-old & Andrei is the Belorussian tin-man. That said, I'd wouldn't like Gauthier trading them to another team in our conference.

Old
05-09-2010, 01:14 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
One thing I have to mention is Andrei never complained unlike all our other Russian speaking failures.
Yep. If he is traded I hope he does do well somewhere else. We do get frustrated with him because we want to win, but there is no reason to hate on Andrei. He has always seemed humble and quiet. I really do like the guy.

Old
05-09-2010, 01:17 PM
Clumsyhab

Trade him and his bro if we can get something good in return. If Dominic Moore cost us a 2nd round as a rental, I think AK46 would get us much more.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 01:19 PM
NLHabsFan

I've always been a fan of A.Kostitsyn but I just don't see him becoming the player he could in Montreal. I don't know if it's the pressure or not but he doesn't seem to have the drive. There is no doubting that the talent is there but he just don't seem to be putting it together. I don't think his value is all that high right now and shouldn't expect a top six winger in return for him. And I definitely don't think you will see him packaged with his brother. We might get lucky that a team thinks that a change of scenery will help him and take a chance on him, but one team to take a chance on both of them I would highly doubt it.

I think realisticly a deal that could be done would be something like:

To Edmonton:
Andrei Kostitsyn

To Montreal:
Riley Nash
2nd Round Pick (Nashville's)

Edmonton could use a guy in their top six like him. Young, talented, would still be an RFA and is supposed to be a goal scorer. He could probably fit in with their rebuilding team. Riley Nash seems to be a talented Center that supposedly does not want to sign with Edmonton (just rumblings I've read) and the mid to late 2nd Rounder should even out the deal. This would improve Montreal's prospect pool plus give them some cap relief to resign Plekanec and try to find a winger that would be a better fit on the line with Plekanec and Cammalleri in FA. Nash might be more inclined to sign with Montreal, I believe the Habs just signed a team mate of his; dman from Cornell. That's just my opinion though.

NLHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 01:19 PM
Habs

Time to package him with Price, to Edmonton, and get the #1 pick. Wonder if the Oil would go for a Price package? Before you get your ginch in a knot, I am a Price fan, just thinking aloud.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 01:21 PM
andy28

Quote:
Sergei has the mentality of a 14-year-old & Andrei is the Belorussian tin-man. That said, I'd wouldn't like Gauthier trading them to another team in our conference.
I am not going to defend Sergei's behaviour but sometimes I think the very thing we dislike about him (and I think our dislike is justified) is the one thing that "could possibly" give him an advantage over his brother. The guy has attitude and lots of piss and vinegar in his veins. Early on he was picking fights with people he could never beat. And taking stupid penalties. He has calmed down a lot in that respect. But he still has problems controlling that emotion. If he could harness it though....maybe.....

But its only a maybe. A big maybe....

And I think his best chance to reach that potential (if it is there) is to be traded.

Old
05-09-2010, 01:25 PM
NLHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
His and his brother's time have ended in Montreal...everyone hates them and they're not playing well and likely never will with the Habs. Might as well try to scrape up what we can for them while we can. If the stay in the NHL, they'll put it together and become very good players on another team imo.

One thing I have to mention is Andrei never complained unlike all our other Russian speaking failures. I remember last season he had an interview where the reporter tried to make him blame the coach because he wasn't getting PP icetime and he avoided the question even with his limited English knowledge. When they asked him to play in the AHL? He did it for 3 years. When they put him on the 4th line, he actually increased his number of hits in those games (ie. showed he still cared a little at least). Perezhogin, Sergei, Samsonov, Grabovski etc. all complained they weren't being treated fairly. Yeah, he has terrible consistency and some effort issues but even the haters gotta give him some props for not being a **** disturber.
And I think this is the reason you might see a team want to take a chance on him. He is a talented player but one that seems to be unmotivated. He would not be considered a cancer in the locker room or anything negative in that regards, it's just if a new team thinks they can light a fire under him and get him going that they'll take a risk on him.

Old
05-09-2010, 01:27 PM
TankEller*

What about this guys...

To Nashville: Both Kostitsyn
To Montreal: 2010 3rd round pick + the rights for Alexander Radulov

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 01:28 PM
FF de Mars

vCash: 50
I'd bring him back to fill the gap until Pacioretty is ready. I'd like MaxPac to get a chance on the top 6 whether it's next season or 2012. He reminds me of Pouliot. If both of them get it going, we're in for something good.

"What about this guys...

To Nashville: Both Kostitsyn
To Montreal: 2010 3rd round pick + the rights for Alexander Radulov"

Anytime. I like Andrei, but I don't think he is a good fit for the Canadiens. If I were the Caps, for example, I'd e very interested in the Kostsitsyn.

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 01:29 PM
NLHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Time to package him with Price, to Edmonton, and get the #1 pick. Wonder if the Oil would go for a Price package? Before you get your ginch in a knot, I am a Price fan, just thinking aloud.
I don't think there is very much in the NHL right now that would get the Oilers to trade the #1 overall. Except for the obvious Crosby or OV. But that team needs a fresh start and a #1 pick is about as fresh as you can get.