HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 6 Outlook

Old
05-09-2010, 11:23 PM
Ribban

vCash: 500
Game 6 Outlook

Winning is great. No doubt! However, in any play-off series, the one thing that a losing team MIGHT have going for them, is that it is easier for them to make adjustments, whereas a winning team can often times be stuck with a tough time to change a winning formula.

Having said that and looking back at these games:
Game 1 - Canucks
Game 2 - Chicago clogging up the middle and getting in Loungo's kitchen. Canucks are sloppy as well.
Game 3 - Chicago continues game 2. Vancouver implodes mentally.
Game 4 - Chicago continues from where they left off. Vancouver does the same.
Game 5 - Vancouver players are heavily medicated (valium?) and starts skating and moving the puck. Chicago's lack of team speed is exploited, and less production is coming from Blackhawk lines 2,3 & 4. Hossa tries to show that he could be a Canuck one day!

Game 6 - ?

What do you tell the Canucks if you are AV?
What would you tell the Hawks if you are JQ?

Ribban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 11:34 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Actually you answered your own question - Hawks won game 2 and carried the momentum into games 3 and 4. We won game 5 and will carry the momentum into games 6 and 7.

I think AV tells them to keep playing the way they have, not to take stupid penalties, stay loose. Hopefully he'll put Hansen back with Kesler and Raymond, and get a 7th dman on the 4th line in case.

If Salo is lost for the game/series/playoffs, that'll be difficult to overcome, though - he's a beast back there. That's like no veterans back there compared to 3 last year.

I really believe we are carrying the play 5 on 5, the outcome of game 6 depends on the goaltending on both side, luck, and unfortunately, the refereeing. If the refs only call the obvious penalties, and Luongo is stellar like tonight, we can beat the Hawks.

I'm also looking for Grabner to explode offensively in game 6. The way he's going around one of the best D in the league as if they're pylons, I'd be giving him the ball for left and right sweeps all night long.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 11:37 PM
ferroid

The loss of Salo makes me worried.

That boneheaded clear by Alberts in the second might be a sign of things to come.

ferroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 11:40 PM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
I predict the Canucks do not block any shots.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 11:43 PM
Balls Mahoney
The Tryamkin Era!!!

It all comes down to whether they'll be able to keep their emotions has home in check. That was the main factor when they got destroyed in game 3 and 4.

Balls Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 12:07 AM
Ribban

I guess it's poor form to start posting in your own thread, but anyway...

The one thing I saw the Canucks do REALLY well tonight, was in the defensive zone.
The team put it on Luongo's shoulders to make the first save, while the D-men focused only on locking up the Hawks' sticks, to allow for the Canuck forwards to come get the puck.

The Vancouver D did the same thing on most all Chicago power moves to the net. D-men lock up the sticks, Luongo kicks out the rebound, and Vancouver forwards are picking up the puck.

Much more skating, and less focus on "knocking" people off the puck, etc.

Nice move by the coaching squad, but it puts more pressure on the Canucks to break out the puck and create meaningful offense, even though Chicago looked a bit surprised tonight and failed to capitalize on it tonight. Also, the D is under more pressure, and if we are losing Salo's skill, experience and poise, it could cost us dearly in game six if AV stays with the same defensive scheme.

I expect JQ to have the Hawks come into the offensive zone with more speed and try to make the extra pass if it's there, but certainly pinch a little deeper with their D-men to create more turnovers and play more hockey in the offensive zone. They looked a bit passive tonight, almost confused, but I count on them being ready for game 6. I also assume they will look for whatever side Alberts is on and make that their entry point.

Ribban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 12:10 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
win the special teams. have we lost a game in the playoffs were we have won the specials teams? can't think of one off the top of my head.

only games we lost to LA were special teams fails

lost game 2 vs chi because of a SH goal (chi was in big trouble otherwise)
game 3 pp chi 2 us 0
game 4, 4 PP against

Last edited by me2: 05-10-2010 at 01:20 AM.
me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 12:19 AM
Taco Fingerhat

vCash: 4420
I think Chicago takes game 6 unfortunately. We'll see a very motivated Kane and Toews. And I think the Hawks will do a much better job of getting in front of Luongo. This game reminds me of game 1 of the series. And I think this was the Hawks wake-up call again.

Taco Fingerhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 12:26 AM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Did the Canucks win because they were the better team in game 5 or because the Hawks decided they were already booking for San Jose?

Vancouver is going to have to play their very best game just to get it to 7. Sedins, Kesler, Edler, Luongo... the entire team because the Hawks are going to be a surly group on tuesday night.

Biggest Canuck Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 12:27 AM
Rometiklan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferroid View Post

That boneheaded clear by Alberts in the second might be a sign of things to come.
Albert's got a really low panic threshold. The Blackhawks forecheck aggressively whenever Alberts is on the ice because they know he'll make a dumb play sooner or later. On that play, they had 3 Hawks deep.

The loss of Salo will hurt. Looks like O'Brien is banged up too. Rome will get the nod, but the defense is getting rather thin. I wish Mitchell could make a comeback. Having Schneider and Lukowich around would have provided some veteran experience.

Rometiklan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 12:37 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rometiklan View Post
Albert's got a really low panic threshold. The Blackhawks forecheck aggressively whenever Alberts is on the ice because they know he'll make a dumb play sooner or later. On that play, they had 3 Hawks deep.

The loss of Salo will hurt. Looks like O'Brien is banged up too. Rome will get the nod, but the defense is getting rather thin. I wish Mitchell could make a comeback. Having Schneider and Lukowich around would have provided some veteran experience.
Rome had a set back - he is not good to go. Looks like Baumgartner (or Nycholat maybe) draws in. See post # 807.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 01:18 AM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribban View Post
I guess it's poor form to start posting in your own thread, but anyway...

The one thing I saw the Canucks do REALLY well tonight, was in the defensive zone.
The team put it on Luongo's shoulders to make the first save, while the D-men focused only on locking up the Hawks' sticks, to allow for the Canuck forwards to come get the puck.
Noticed that too - Canucks in front of Luongo looked like the hockey version of an infantry square.

Old
05-10-2010, 01:43 AM
Johnny LaRue

vCash: 200
You know what, I have doubted that this team could do anything after the loss in game two. I want to believe though...All I can do is hope. Perhaps Salo not actually rupturing one of his balls shows the teams luck is turning. Who knows?

Johnny LaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 05:13 AM
Falconator

Canucks 5 Blackhawks 3

Falconator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 04:26 PM
bbud

No matter how it happened the Hawks let Vancouver back in and i dont think Vancouver will be satisfied losing 3 games at home i see them winning ,Chicago had them like we did in game 2 its Vancouvers advantage now.

bbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 04:31 PM
Timmer44

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan View Post
Did the Canucks win because they were the better team in game 5 or because the Hawks decided they were already booking for San Jose?

Vancouver is going to have to play their very best game just to get it to 7. Sedins, Kesler, Edler, Luongo... the entire team because the Hawks are going to be a surly group on tuesday night.
Hawks weren't prepared for the game (Out at the Roxy on Friday means they thought they had it wrapped up). They'll be more businesslike on Tuesday but I think the Canucks can elevate their game as well. Will come down to Luongo as it should.

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 04:53 PM
DL44

vCash: 133
We've seen 3 game types this series... (or 2 if you wanna be really basic, but we'll go with 3)

-Games 1 and 5
-Game 2
-Games 3 and 4

1 & 5 - Confident and sharp Luongo, solid defensive work limiting Chicago rushes and odd-man rushes, effective PK, and very disciple, Chicago lacking fire and desire.
2 - Both teams flex their strengths and have opportunities on both ends. Tight, tense game that turned on a mistake.
3 & 4 - Chicago imposing their will in front of the net, rattling Luongo, taking advantage of piss poor disciple and piss poor PK.

The simplified version would be to state it all depends on special teams. Whoever wins that battle will win the game. But it would be a little more complicated than that.

Will be interesting to see what Q does with Byfuglien. He ended up pretty much benched at the end of last game. Its the first time he's faltered since Q switched up the lines for game 2. does he come back with him on the top line? or shake it up. Either way can be looked at as a win-win from my perspective. We were able to get Byfuglien to take the dumb penalties last game.... neutralized him... and he looked like the crappy player he is when he's not playing the canucks.

I'm definitely not expecting a 3&4 game for 6 - I'm giving the canucks credit for learning from those games as displayed last game... obviously i'm hoping for a 1&5 game... but I'm expecting a 2 type game.
I'm expecting game 6 to be played tightly.... and to be won on a mistake, or clutch PP for either club.
AV went '07 defensive and pulled back the center into the neutral zone at 5-on-5... gave them nothing coming into our zone... need more of that.

The Salo effect... i cringe at every aspect of that story... the injury and the Canuck lineup. what it means for game 6 - Bieksa (who i'm happy about since he's increasing his trade value), Edler and Ehrhoff will all get 26+ minutes, and Obrien will have to play 20+ plus. Alberts and Nycholat to fill out. but they should be easier to protect at home.

Where's Willie on the white horse when ya need him... What story and moral boost if he ever starts skating with the team any time soon.

Last edited by DL44: 05-10-2010 at 04:58 PM.
DL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 05:35 PM
KDizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferroid View Post

I don't see how an NHL player ever decides to weakly flip the puck into the middle of the ice into 2 opposing forwards?

It's an indication he's just AHL fodder, sure, but the distressing thing about that was he was playing decently in his limited time and led me to believe he was worth keeping next year.

But that 1 play + another brutal giveaway against the Kings that Luongo had to make a save on (was it the one on Smyth? I forget) is just a huge red flag that his hockey IQ puts him squarely in the ECHL.

But as for the rest of these playoffs, bottom line is they need Ehrhoff, Edler, SOB, and Bieksa to come up big in the absence of Salo. Nycholat playing half-way decent would be a bonus and Alberts can play some sheltered minutes and be hidden away.

KDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 09:17 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

* I think its critical that Canucks protect Luongo's crease in game 6 like they did in game 5, sort of a triangle in front of him (2 D, 1 C) and stick with it - its all about discipline, like an infantry square, its what differentiates a professional TEAM from a bunch of professionals. The interesting thing about discipline is that to a certain extent, it transcends personnel.

* keep rolling 3 lines 5 on 5 - its working. 4th line is for the PK and the occasional cameo to give the team some jump.

* Lineup wise, I'd like to see Raymond on the PP and Hansen take Demitra's place on the 2nd line.

Lets hope the refs don't interfere with a hockey game.

Go Canucks Go

Last edited by Outside99*: 05-10-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old
05-10-2010, 09:19 PM
xtr3m

The Hawks packed as if they're San Jose bound after the game on Tuesday. Sweet

Quote:
“We're packing not just for Vancouver,” said head coach Joel Quenneville at O'Hare, shortly before his team chartered back to Vancouver.. “Hopefully, we can go on from there.”

“You pack as if you're going to win,” said winger Kris Versteeg. “And we're expecting to win.”

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Ch...#ixzz0naENK0yj

xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 09:24 PM
Tiranis

Chicago is far too cocky for their own good and it might end up being their downfall.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 09:28 PM
David71

play simple hockey like game 1 and 5. utilize your speed to your advantage to break into the hawks zone. pressure the hawks d . hit them hard. in the defensive zone, keep the hawks shots to the outside so that luongo can see them. if there's rebounds clear it out block passing lanes etc. NUMBER 1 KEEP YOUR COMPOSURE+DISIPLINE. Dictate the game. plus score on the pp.

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 09:29 PM
andy28

Canucks can do it!!!! Do you BELIEVE???

I believe!

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Interior Cascadian

**** if I know anymore. Here's hoping.

My vcash earnings indicate exactly what I thought would happen in games 4 and 5.

Interior Cascadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 09:38 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

The more I think about it, the more I think discipline is the key for game 6:

* The discipline to protect their goalie from the encroaching Hawks - this has been an issue for the team in these playoffs and it can't be rocket science if the Montreal "schmurfs?" can do it.

* The discipline not to retaliate and not to take stupid penalties.

If the Canucks are disciplined, there's no reason they can't come back and take this series. If they're not, they don't deserve to move on.